Dark Horse Releases "Deluxe" Berserk Edition

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks! It looks to me like the printer itself fucked that up on that run. You should try and return that copy and get another copy in the hopes it's cleaner.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I have seen many problems with the deluxe edition on one of the fb group. Ink, pages badly crop, fake leather getting ruined super fast by just standing on the shelf.

Ive decided to delayed buying it for the moment.

Well I still like it, for the price, I'm willing to overlook some minor things. I wish I could return them, but international returns are a pain in the butt :sad:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
@Sareth brought this to my attention recently. In Deluxe Vol 5 (v13-15), Dark Horse amended their translation of the "groovy" line to "rugged," which reverses course on their inclusion of a reference to Evil Dead.

rugged.jpg

A good move, and good riddance!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Me too! And I remember the guy that fought for that stupid line didn’t even speak Japanese. He had no business making translation suggestions.
I remember his forum posts. That's was also around the time that they started including the infamous sound effect text boxes in volumes. I really lost faith in Dark Horse at around this time, and my feelings about them have never recovered. :judo: The situation with these Deluxe Editions is not surprising at all when you know how they've treated the series in the past.

Well this is disappointing to read. I was thinking about buying the deluxe editions, but I guess it's too much to get consistent good quality in something called "deluxe". If I had the disposable income to easily buy this I wouldn't have minded these problems as much, but sadly I do not.

It still is very tempting to have big physical pages with berserk especially considering unofficial scan tend to crush detail. (and even some official ones it seems)

Just caught that they fixed Flora's dialogue about Beherits here in deluxe volume 8. Maybe my standards for Dark Horse are just too low, but at least they knew they made an egregious error there and changed it. Not exactly a fan of the wording with "high-ranking spirit entity" so Puella still wins this one, but at least it's not embarrassingly inaccurate.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Am I misunderstanding, or are you saying that someone who translates for dark horse posted on these forums?

Dark Horse's main editor, Chris Warner, used to have an account here. He eventually left after a scuffle. Another editor, Samantha Robertson, also had an account and used to check our translations (I presume to cross-reference their own translations), but never posted.

And then there was the guy Oburi mentions, whose account name was Auturgist and who said he worked as a subcontractor for Duane Johnson and helped him "refine" his translations so they'd feel more natural in English. What he said was pretty outrageous at the time, from explaining they introduced "easter eggs" in the translations (like the aforementioned "groovy" line) to saying he used scanlations as a reference to make his suggestions.

Dark Horse's main editor, Chris Warner, used to have an account here. He eventually left after a scuffle. Another editor, Samantha Robertson, also had an account and used to check our translations (I presume to cross-reference their own translations), but never posted.

And then there was the guy Oburi mentions, whose account name was Auturgist and who said he worked as a subcontractor for Duane Johnson and helped him "refine" his translations so they'd feel more natural in English. What he said was pretty outrageous at the time, from explaining they introduced "easter eggs" in the translations (like the aforementioned "groovy" line) to saying he used scanlations as a reference to make his suggestions.
Yikes. I do not want to bad mouth someone outright about how they do their job. But the Easter egg idea seems to be going a bit too far. At least, when it comes to adapting and translating something.

Last edited:
Yo is anybody having the issues with the ribbon bookmarks leaving indents? I keep having this problem with volumes 5 and 8 (none of my other volumes have this problem).

All the volumes I've had for 5 and 8 have physical indentations in the pages from the included ribbon bookmark (I'm guessing due to the way the vendors are storing them, pressure and gravity etc.). My other volumes are fine but I've had a few replacements now and they're all the same? I want to get over it, but it's really annoying for an archival piece

Yo is anybody having the issues with the ribbon bookmarks leaving indents? I keep having this problem with volumes 5 and 8 (none of my other volumes have this problem).

All the volumes I've had for 5 and 8 have physical indentations in the pages from the included ribbon bookmark (I'm guessing due to the way the vendors are storing them, pressure and gravity etc.). My other volumes are fine but I've had a few replacements now and they're all the same? I want to get over it, but it's really annoying for an archival piece
Checking back with my copy of volume 8, I do see an indent on a few of the pages toward the back half (Where Schierke is inviting them into Flora's manor). I don't remember if that is where the ribbon was when I first got it though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the issue. The bookmark itself is just a strand of silk, right? How is that thick enough to leave a noticeable indentation on several pages? Could either of you take a picture of the problem? I only own Deluxe vol 1, so I can't check it myself.

I'm not sure I understand the issue. The bookmark itself is just a strand of silk, right? How is that thick enough to leave a noticeable indentation on several pages? Could either of you take a picture of the problem? I only own Deluxe vol 1, so I can't check it myself.
I don't think I'd call it a problem, I would never have noticed it if he hadn't said something. There's just the tiniest little crease on the inside of a couple pages toward the back. I tried getting a picture but it doesn't show well on the camera.

Hello everyone,

In my Deluxe edition volume 6, I have noticed two changes to Dark Horse's translation. The first is in episode 125, where in the non deluxe version, Guts says to Serpico "I guess I owe you one, then." In the Deluxe, this line is changed to "I still owe you one, y'know."

Which line is more accurate? If it's the latter, what favour does Guts owe Serpico?

The second change I've noticed is in episode 129, where instead of saying "Listen why not run away? From war... from hatred", Godo instead says "Ain't you just escapin? To war... To hatred." Again, which line is more accurate?

puella

Berserk forever
In my Deluxe edition volume 6, I have noticed two changes to Dark Horse's translation. The first is in episode 125, where in the non deluxe version, Guts says to Serpico "I guess I owe you one, then." In the Deluxe, this line is changed to "I still owe you one, y'know."

Which line is more accurate? If it's the latter, what favour does Guts owe Serpico?
My translation of what he says would be: "I've got a debt to repay to you."
In this context he's not talking about owing a favor but inflicting payback, and he's speaking harshly. I think he's referring to the wooden stick Serpico threw at him that got him captured.

The second change I've noticed is in episode 129, where instead of saying "Listen why not run away? From war... from hatred", Godo instead says "Ain't you just escapin? To war... To hatred." Again, which line is more accurate?
A part of the sentence is omitted. What Godot means is "(I was afraid you might be) running away. To war... to hatred."

Uhhh, it's unfortunate their biography information contains several mistakes... Where did they get that stuff from?!
May I ask which ones are these mistakes, if it's not too annoying to list them all? I saw it on Reddit as well but the only mistakes I noticed are that they mention Berserk debuted in Young Animal, while it actually was in another magazine before switching to Young Animal later on.

Top Bottom