Dark Horse Releases

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Maybe if enough of us raid the Dark Horse forums with this proposition, they'll try and set this in motion. After all, they're probably gonna shit themselves once they run out of Berserk volumes to release every other month. They're not dumb; they know people can scoop up the latest episodes online. It would be the best business move. "Look, we caught up to the Japanese release and the next volume will be likely released 6 months from now, but LOOK! Don't forget about Berserk! We care and we'll keep you up-to-date! You can buy the latest episodes for 99 cents (or whatever)..."

Then again, I know next to nothing about business. I just really really want this to happen.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I had no idea that Vol 31 was already out. I've been ordering my volumes through Amazon, and their release date for Vol 31 is "Oct 28, 2009." What the hell? So I'm going to order mine straight from DH, despite the addition of $4 to the price.

Walter, I was going to order mine on Amazon as well about 3 weeks ago to get free shipping on two other Items I was ordering. I saw the October release date and flipped.

After checking Darkhorses website. I relieved that they still had it listed for the end of September.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, I got mine pre-ordered from amazon today, figured the discrepancy in the dates would work itself out. Anyway, why is this one thick again, are they all going to be thick now and just $1 more? Can I get a regular sized volume 30 to go with my thirty other volumes of larger size? Fuckin' Dark Horse, I'm just baffled by them and their practices at this point.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:
Yeah, I got mine pre-ordered from amazon today, figured the discrepancy in the dates would work itself out. Anyway, why is this one thick again, are they all going to be thick now and just $1 more? Can I get a regular sized volume 30 to go with my thirty other volumes of larger size? Fuckin' Dark Horse, I'm just baffled by them and their practices at this point.

You almost wonder if they're doing it just to piss us off. :femto:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, it's maddening. Pick something guys. If it's all equal, how about the format you've been using for 29 volumes already and I'll pay the extra buck? Or, if you're gonna switch, SWITCH, but not back and forth like this. That's ridiculous, and it's not even something progressive like translating sound (which for its shaky beginning, to say the least, at least they didn't start and stop). Anyway, all this should have been figured out before volume 1 went to publication, 31 later and they're still experimenting!? C'mon, and after they'd, to their credit, seemingly found some equilibrium with localizing the series after volume 16. Bizarre.

Anyway, bottom line, it's a minor issue in and of itself, but it brings back bad memories and makes me think, "what could be next?"

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:
Yeah, it's maddening. Pick something guys. If it's all equal, how about the format you've been using for 29 volumes already and I'll pay the extra buck? Or, if you're gonna switch, SWITCH, but not back and forth like this. That's ridiculous, and it's not even something progressive like translating sound (which for its shaky beginning, to say the least, at least they didn't start and stop). Anyway, all this should have been figured out before volume 1 went to publication, 31 later and they're still experimenting!? C'mon, and after they'd, to their credit, seemingly found some equilibrium with localizing the series after volume 16. Bizarre.

Anyway, bottom line, it's a minor issue in and of itself, but it brings back bad memories and makes me think, "what could be next?"

The thing is, I don't think they do this with any of their other properties. For some strange reason, their level of respect for Berserk is much lower than their other titles. Which doesn't make any sense, as it's their best selling series.

pippin22 said:
I can't believe they raised the price. What nerve.

The increase in price starting at volume 31 has been known for at least 4-5 months. What wasn't known in advance was that they were going to experiment with the paper stock starting with volume 30.

That just makes my point. What nerve. The quality of their releases isn't worth a dollar more, and then they decide to "experiment" only to say "Duhh, never mind, bad idea" on the first volume with the new price. What incompetent shitwits. Way to justify the raise in price.

Just read my newly acquired volumes, and was kinda surprised, "Raksas", really? I don't know if this variant is acceptable, but it sounds awful. And Ivarela became Ivalera, which one is correct?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Konketsuji said:
Just read my newly acquired volumes, and was kinda surprised, "Raksas", really? I don't know if this variant is acceptable, but it sounds awful. And Ivarela became Ivalera, which one is correct?

Yeah, how they screwed up Rakshas, I'll never know. As for the spelling of Ivalera, I believe they're using the spelling taken from the Berserk PS2 game, so it's about as official as it gets without showing up in the Berserk character sections at the beginning of the volumes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Just read my newly acquired volumes, and was kinda surprised, "Raksas", really? I don't know if this variant is acceptable, but it sounds awful.

From a purely technical standpoint it's perfectly acceptable. But how likely is it to be correct when the name was obviously borrowed from that of the Indian demon? Not very likely.

Konketsuji said:
And Ivarela became Ivalera, which one is correct?

We use "Ivalera" around here because it's the spelling used in the PS2 game. It's not an especially reliable source though. Unfortunately we haven't had the confirmation of what the correct spelling is yet. There are several possibilities.

EDIT: Damn you Rhombaad! :puck:

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I thought so about Rakshas, damn. And I hope the correct one is Ivarela, 'cause to me Ivalera sounds like "And Valera (a man's name)", I mean, I'm used to Casca's name (in Russian it means helmet), and now I need some time to adapt to Ivalera. :serpico:
P.S. The Berserk game rocks!

Tirade

Hai Yai, Forces!
Is it possible Dark Horse has no knowledge regarding the origin of the name Rakshas? They might simply be translating without background regarding the names used. That's my guess. Either way, seems kind of lazy on DH's part. Miura likes to use names with historical meaning. You'd think they would have learned that by now.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Johnstantine said:
So I went and bought volume 30 today and, get this, all of the pages were blank.

O now this is just too far, I can't believe how lazy DarkHorse is getting. God whats next no cover art? They just keep lowering the standard.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Oburi said:
O now this is just too far, I can't believe how lazy DarkHorse is getting. God whats next no cover art? They just keep lowering the standard.
I'm guessing their next step to reduce costs will be having no volume at all!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I should have done that, but I've already taken it back. I told the manager at Borders so I hope he at least contacts their distributor.

I imagine that this sort of thing is rare, so it's not really a cause for concern.

Maybe it's just me but, if I would have gotten a volume with the printing errors people have described here, I would have kept it and bought another one. At the very least a blank volume is good for jokes and for making conversation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
Maybe it's just me but, if I would have gotten a volume with the printing errors people have described here, I would have kept it and bought another one. At the very least a blank volume is good for jokes and for making conversation.

Haha yeah, call me King Nerd but I'd probably pay more than the regular price for a blank copy, just for the novelty of it.

Top Bottom