Dark Horse Releases

Well I am 5 volumes from completing my collection! Sadly, thanks to my OCD, I'm going to have to re-buy 4 volumes due to damage they had when I got them They were sealed as well, so how they got the damage is beyond me. Two of them have large rips on the small poster found at the beginning of the volume, 1 has a several dents on top of the spines which has crinked every page, and one volume appears to very faded? The black is very faint and barely readable.

All in all, with a few typo's here, and a few art and speech bubble cut-offs there, I'm quite happy indeed.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
perros said:
Well I am 5 volumes from completing my collection! Sadly, thanks to my OCD, I'm going to have to re-buy 4 volumes due to damage they had when I got them They were sealed as well, so how they got the damage is beyond me. Two of them have large rips on the small poster found at the beginning of the volume, 1 has a several dents on top of the spines which has crinked every page, and one volume appears to very faded? The black is very faint and barely readable.

The faded volume (volume 4 I'm guessing) isn't even fixed in the re-print, which I purchased for that very reason, so I would hold off on purchasing that volume again if I were you.

As for the OCD-related anxiety, as a fellow sufferer, the best way to make it go away is to not repurchase those volumes. Trust me, when the anxiety dies down, you'll be relieved you didn't spend the extra money.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Horse recently updated their Berserk section with a release date for Volume 36: September 19, 2012, which is just about a year to the week since they released Volume 35. In other words, right on schedule with their previous releases, but one year late compared to Japan.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-238/Berserk-Volume-36-TPB

Walter said:
Dark Horse recently updated their Berserk section with a release date for Volume 36: September 19, 2012, which is just about a year to the week since they released Volume 35. In other words, right on schedule with their previous releases, but one year late compared to Japan.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-238/Berserk-Volume-36-TPB

I guess Dark Horse figures they might turn off casual readers by having an irregular schedule; Chris Warner had mentioned irregular schedule issues in one of his posts here a while back. Still, one year is a long time to delay. That's much better than the ~13 year gap when they began however.

If Berserk Volume 37 is not published in Japan by the end of 2012, I wonder how Dark Horse will respond.

They also seem to be done with posting previews.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I guess Dark Horse figures they might turn off casual readers by having an irregular schedule; Chris Warner had mentioned irregular schedule issues in one of his posts here a while back. Still, one year is a long time to delay. That's much better than the ~13 year gap when they began however.

If Berserk Volume 37 is not published in Japan by the end of 2012, I wonder how Dark Horse will respond.
I'm just spitballing here, but it's possible the 1-year delay is an artificial buffer that allows them to keep a consistent yearly schedule regardless of what happens with the Japanese releases. So as long as Volume 37 comes out before, say June 2013, they can still hit a September 2013 release date, which is a year from the previous release.

They also seem to be done with posting previews.
They normally post the main entry, then the previews will go up a few weeks before the actual release. I think they just forgot to do it with Volume 35. Unsure whether it's setting a precedent.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
They normally post the main entry, then the previews will go up a few weeks before the actual release. I think they just forgot to do it with Volume 35. Unsure whether it's setting a precedent.

Nah it happens once in a while where they just don't put or care for a preview. I've been buying comics and books from them for years and was not surprise at all to see that they didn't put some preview here or there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just a small update. Dark Horse's Berserk Volume 36 is due out on Oct. 2, and you can preorder it for a mere $8 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-36-Graphic-Novels/dp/1595829423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347996463&sr=8-1&keywords=berserk36

Hop to it, guys!

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
Just a small update. Dark Horse's Berserk Volume 36 is due out on Oct. 2, and you can preorder it for a mere $8 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-36-Graphic-Novels/dp/1595829423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347996463&sr=8-1&keywords=berserk36

Hop to it, guys!
AAHHH SO CHEEAP!!! I wish I wasn't so dedicated to my local comic store.

Walter said:

Hop to it, guys!

so Amazon gets it the same date as those of us in Canada funny still pisses me off we have to wait two weeks longer than the US

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
puppet12ca said:
still pisses me off we have to wait two weeks longer than the US
Ohhh yeah, I forgot there was that delay in Amazon. Turns out Volume 36 is already out in the US, as of today. http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-238/Berserk-Volume-36-TPB

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I got my Dark Horse volume 36. It was definitely a good read aside from some not-so-great translations. At least I don't THINK they were great. Volume 36 was a great volume in my opinion. It's been a while since I looked at my Japanese volume 36, so it felt a little fresh. The Guts and Schierke combo team is probably my favorite "form" of Guts, if that makes sense...

A lot of great action in this. I love Guts jumping around inside The Sea God like a maniac.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I received mine on Friday, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'll post my thoughts on Dark Horse's translation after I'm finished.

Found a shop that was carrying it earlier than Canada's release date(chain called "The Comic Book Shop" for any canuck's interested) got to say I liked this volume. Maybe a couple of words or phrases that felt a bit off to me like the use of the word amulets instead of charms and Guts words to Isidro right before he leaves to face the sea god. Overall I enjoyed this volume and I'm a little irritated I'm gonna be waiting a year or longer to finally see guts actually kill the sea god but Berserk has honestly proven to be worth the wait

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I always get my volumes the same date they get release in the states... maybe my comic shop is getting their thing from the states which makes sense since they can only order through Diamond comics. I didn't go yet to pick my copy though. Anxious to get it!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Why is episode 322 titled "Booming Art" in the Darkhorse book? That doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to you because it doesn't make sense at all. :slan:

The first kanji in the title refers to very strong vibrations, like those from an earthquake (or seaquake). The second kanji refers to internal organs (viscera) in general, but there's hiragana to specify, if that wasn't obvious enough given the contents of the episode, that it means a heart. So I take it the translator meant it to be "Booming Heart" but that something went wrong somewhere.

Berserk Volume 14 is now selling for $59.00 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-14-Kentaro-Miura/dp/B005DI8C9K/ref=sr_1_35?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349196403&sr=1-35&keywords=Berserk

Berserk Volume 16 is now selling for $175.00 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-16-Kentaro-Miura/dp/B005DI89W0/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349196403&sr=1-36&keywords=Berserk

Berserk Volume 31 is now selling for $69.95 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-31-Kentaro-Miura/dp/B005FOFI6M/ref=sr_1_33?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349196403&sr=1-33&keywords=Berserk

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's a shame they're out of print for now. But it's probably just a lull in production.

Anyway, there are plenty of other places people can go to buy the volumes. Visit your local comic shop, try other book retailers such as Barnes and Noble. If they don't have them in stock at those places, there are other ways to be proactive about this problem. Ask the store manager to place a special order. Here's the information you'll need when that time arises:

Berserk Volume 14
ISBN-10:1-59307-501-4
ISBN-13:978-1-59307-501-9

Berserk Volume 15
ISBN-10:1-59307-577-4
ISBN-13:978-1-59307-577-4

Berserk Volume 16
ISBN-10: 1-59307-706-8
ISBN-13:978-1-59307-706-8

They'll check their subsidiary vendors for the books, and failing that, contact the publisher themselves, which gets word out that people are in need of these copies.

Walter said:
It's a shame they're out of print for now. But it's probably just a lull in production.

Anyway, there are plenty of other places people can go to buy the volumes. Visit your local comic shop, try other book retailers such as Barnes and Noble.

And if all else fails their is always E-Bay.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinb said:
And if all else fails their is always E-Bay.
Bad advice. That would only recirculate existing copies. No additional money to Dark Horse, no presumed money to Miura, and it leaves the out of stock problem unresolved.

Top Bottom