Dragon Age: Origins

I was doing so good in this game I was on a roll....got both dlc done then moved onto the main quest in redcliff did some quests talked to some people then my ps3 died =(

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I got games coming out of my ass!
You think YOU've got a lot of games on your plate? I've been collecting dozens of games to play the past year or so. FEEL MY PAIN! :mozgus:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/walterbennet/games

These are the ones I own, and Ive probably "beaten" about 50% of them. I buy them when they're on sale, though some I pay full price for, but otherwise just collect them like a bag lady.

Scorpio said:
It'll probably take awhile, but once this game comes out on special I am going to snap it up.
I used to take that mentality, especially with games on Steam. I wouldn't buy them until they went on sale. Then, I waited 8 months for Dead Space to go on sale. It never did. So I took the plunge and spent the $30. It was well worth it, and I should have played that game long ago.

As for Dragon Age, it's 60+ hours of gaming and it's gotten amazing reviews across the board, so I'd say it's well worth the price of admission.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I used to take that mentality, especially with games on Steam. I wouldn't buy them until they went on sale. Then, I waited 8 months for Dead Space to go on sale. It never did. So I took the plunge and spent the $30. It was well worth it, and I should have played that game long ago.

As for Dragon Age, it's 60+ hours of gaming and it's gotten amazing reviews across the board, so I'd say it's well worth the price of admission.

Additionally, DA:O's collector edition really made it worth purchasing, even pre-ordering. Not much more expensive than the standard version and loaded with bonuses, including DLC that I imagine will have to be purchased by latecomers. I don't approve of the current trend developers have of having $15's worth of DLC available at launch when it could and should have been part of the game to begin with, but in this case I think it makes sense as an incentive both to purchasing the game (instead of getting a cracked copy) and purchasing it right away and not a year later.

To get back to the game itself... I'm currently at a crossroad (figuratively), need to decide where I'm going next. And I need a better sword! I don't care for pesky longswords, I need something I could slay dragons with! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I don't approve of the current trend developers have of having $15's worth of DLC available at launch when it could and should have been part of the game to begin with, but in this case I think it makes sense as an incentive both to purchasing the game (instead of getting a cracked copy) and purchasing it right away and not a year later.
Indeed. I ended up spending $7 on the DLC myself that would have come with the collector's edition. But for the states, the collector's edition was $15 more than the regular. Anyway, I really hope BioWare delivers on the promise of DLC for Dragon Age. The game's rife with possibilities for expansion. Like, say, another continent than Ferelden.

To get back to the game itself... I'm currently at a crossroad (figuratively), need to decide where I'm going next. And I need a better sword! I don't care for pesky longswords, I need something I could slay dragons with! :guts:
Yeah, you and me both.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:

Well, my reasons are twofold; the obvious saving money bit, but also my current job doesn't allow me much time to play games. With any luck the game's price will drop once I have some time freed up. And actually, add one more reason to my list: I just bought Mass Effect on special, so any free time I may have had is going to be eaten up for a long long time. On the other hand, maybe I should just buy it anyway... hmm.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

dragonage-peak.jpg

My guy's now sporting the Blood Dragon armor.

I've also discovered that, of all characters, the dog is totally awesome in combat. Even though he has very few abilities, he's powerful as hell and tanks like a beast. I named my dog "Pippin" :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Anyway, I really hope BioWare delivers on the promise of DLC for Dragon Age. The game's rife with possibilities for expansion. Like, say, another continent than Ferelden.

I'm confident they will. I think what posed them a great deal of trouble with Mass Effect was:

1) It's primarily a Xbox 360 game, which was only later ported to the PC.
2) It's not campaign-oriented and is extremely story-based. You can tweak your character, but he or she'll always be Commander Shepard.

When you see what they did with Neverwinter Nights and that they've already released creation tools for DA:O, it reassures me about what's to come. Not to mention that there's already an option for other campaigns in the menu, and that the game's titled "Origins" for a reason. It was basically created around the idea of additional content.

I have to say, I didn't particularly wait for this game because of the lackluster marketing and generally negative previews, but I'm glad beyond belief that it's great. Long live Bioware.

Walter said:
Yeah, you and me both.

Well I went to Denerim yesterday and also did a few sidequests. Spent a while on the roads. I'm pissed because I kept putting back my trip to Lothering for a sidequest and it's been destroyed so I failed the quest!

Walter said:
I've also discovered that, of all characters, the dog is totally awesome in combat. Even though he has very few abilities, he's powerful as hell and tanks like a beast. I named my dog "Pippin" :griffnotevil:

Haha yeah I like the dog. His interactions with party members are hilarious too. Not using him much these days though. I've surrounded myself with ladies. :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm assuming this game is worth buying.
I'd say so, yeah. It's a great game and massive. It'll keep you busy for weeks.

However, I have to say that I was more emotionally attached and invested in Mass Effect's characters and story. Something about the way Dragon Age has been crafted seems to lack that aspect of the formula.

I wish i could play =( I want to use Shale my stone golem to smash darkspawn and the like. Did anyone else do the grey wardens quest at soldiers peak? ( dlc )

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Did anyone else do the grey wardens quest at soldiers peak? ( dlc )
I just finished it last night. It was cool, but seemed kind of short for the $7 I paid for it. Still, I now have a place to stash my loot! But let's not discuss it in too much detail because I know others here haven't played through it yet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
However, I have to say that I was more emotionally attached and invested in Mass Effect's characters and story. Something about the way Dragon Age has been crafted seems to lack that aspect of the formula.

Of course. They made an effort in that regard, but it was Mass Effect's strength as opposed to Dragon Age's versatility, so it clearly remains n°1.

Walter said:
I just finished it last night. It was cool, but seemed kind of short for the $7 I paid for it. Still, I now have a place to stash my loot! But let's not discuss it in too much detail because I know others here haven't played through it yet.

Oh of course I agree I'm just sad since I cant play it =(. And I agree it was pretty short I wish it was a little longer
where you had to find a certain person then go back and do the rest.
I went to my friends house and watched him do alittle bit of the dwarf noble that was pretty cool stuff. When I am done with my Hum/noble I think I am going to make a mage.

Anyone else think ahead to the next char they will make?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Anyone else think ahead to the next char they will make?

I haven't decided yet between a mage or a rogue, but so far I'm favoring mage. And it'll probably be an elf.

Aazealh said:
I haven't decided yet between a mage or a rogue, but so far I'm favoring mage. And it'll probably be an elf.

I was thinking the same thing race wise when I start a mage. And then for my rogue I was gonna do Dwarf commoner

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
I was thinking the same thing race wise when I start a mage. And then for my rogue I was gonna do Dwarf commoner

Yeah I was thinking the same for the rogue, dward commoner. But I don't know, I'll see that later. For now I'd rather concentrate on my warrior. Speaking of which, here are some screenshots.

RevenantDuel.jpg

RevenantDuel2.jpg

RevenantDuel3.jpg

Massacre.jpg

ItsComing.jpg

Split.jpg

Bonus:

CrotchStab.jpg

I cant post any pics of my toon but hes wearing a helm that looks like what the guy is wearing in Aaz's first 2 picks. And that was an epic stab with the bear lol

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I think it has to be said but man does that red dragon mark on that armor just look plain god awful. < :azan:>

other then that I noticed all the dead bodies behind you and the bear Aaz, was that your work or the bear's?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I think it has to be said but man does that red dragon mark on that armor just look plain god awful. < :azan:>

Actually I think the futuristic helmet eyeglow is what looks bad on it. I can't complain though, it's the bonus Mass Effect 2 armor. :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
other then that I noticed all the dead bodies behind you and the bear Aaz, was that your work or the bear's?

Not me.
That was either the bear or a big pack of wolves I'd killed before that.
I didn't take screenshots of the corpses I left so far but I could if you want. =)

Am I seriously the only person who started off with a mage? My friends either chose rouges or warriors, and I was left trying not to get stabbed in the throat by an ogre. Oh well,
After becoming an arcane warrior and donning the Juggernaut Armor set along with the Summer Sword, things suddenly became a lot easier so I guess it all worked out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Screenshots galore, starting with some random corpses for Saiya:

Corpses.jpg

I swear these villagers were evil, it's a conspiracy I tell you! :griffnotevil:

HeadShot.jpg

StabbyMcStab02.jpg

StabbyMcStab01.jpg

Swordmaster.jpg

Knockback.jpg

These guys aren't much of a challenge, I'd need something bigger to... Oh, hi! :troll:

Hi_there.jpg

Yum.jpg

YumYum.jpg

The Hawkman said:
Am I seriously the only person who started off with a mage?

Yeah well can your mage do THIS? :badbone:

Dragon-Zorro.jpg

Dragon-Stab01.jpg

Dragon-Stab02.jpg

Dragon-Stab03.jpg

Dragon-Stab05.jpg

Dragon-Stab06.jpg

Dragon-Stab08.jpg

Dragon-Stab09.jpg

Dragon-Stab10.jpg

Dragon-Stab11.jpg

Dragon-Stab12.jpg

Dragon-FINISH_HIM01.jpg

Dragon-FINISH_HIM02.jpg

Dragon-FINISH_HIM03.jpg

Dragon-Dead.jpg

Unfortunately I fucked up and didn't get a mid-swing picture of the coup de grâce. :sad: My only regret.

Dragon-FIRE.jpg

Nice fire effects!

Top Bottom