Dragon Age: Origins

Walter said:
I know this sounds shallow, but one thing has always bothered me with this kind of RPG -- dice rolls. I played through Neverwinter Nights a few years ago, and that bugged me a lot. I don't care if I had a bad dice roll, if I swing a massive bastard sword at a bat, its "armor class" isn't going to do shit in real life. :guts:

it's more fun with face to face pen and paper rpg's. ONe guy in my group has been accused of microwaving dice, fudging rolls heh. I like bad rolls. They make things funny, + I like suiciding my own character for a cool reason(or no reason) sometimes.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I must say that it would have been truly great pictures if the game allowed you to cut off the dragons head, other then that did you die and reload the game when the dragon was making you its chew toy? :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I must say that it would have been truly great pictures if the game allowed you to cut off the dragons head

Well I was already impressed by that elaborate finishing blow to be honest.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
other then that did you die and reload the game when the dragon was making you its chew toy? :ganishka:

Haha nah, you take a lot of damage but it's not instant death for my character if his health is high and he's being healed.

I'm really enjoying the game so far in all its aspects, I'm just torn between either Human Noble or Dalish Elf, I have both but just can't decide :???:.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EndlessSky said:
I'm really enjoying the game so far in all its aspects, I'm just torn between either Human Noble or Dalish Elf, I have both but just can't decide :???:.

Well you don't have to choose, just play both alternatively if you have to. One can be a nice guy and the other a bloodthirsty maniac. :guts:

Anyway, if anyone feels like creating a little Berserk game or something like that, they should seriously consider doing it as a mod of this game. The toolset is very impressive.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Aaz. Those pics are serious greatness! You have quite the behemoth of a warrior there. Now I know what I have to look forward to after I beat Bayonetta. Screen-caps are so great, and it makes me think of the dreaded EQ days. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ko Ninja said:
Aaz. Those pics are serious greatness! You have quite the behemoth of a warrior there.

Thanks! Yeah I love the guy. Just got a very nice greatsword too, and I'm currently putting points in Reaver and Berserker talents. Fun stuff. :guts:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aaz's pics do make me want to try this game.

My laptop would be able to run it, by the looks of it. No way I'd get the console version, though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Aaz's pics do make me want to try this game.

That calls for more! :griffnotevil:

Swordmaster2.jpg

It's a little old, but I haven't taken any new ones recently.

Uriel said:
My laptop would be able to run it, by the looks of it.

For info:

Windows XP Minimum Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
* AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
* RAM: 1GB or more
* Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
* DVD ROM (Physical copy)
* 20GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
* AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
* RAM: 1.5GB or more
* Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
* NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
* 20GB HD space

Recommended Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
* RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2GB (XP)
* Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
* NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
* 20GB HD space

Uriel said:
No way I'd get the console version, though.

Yeah, better to avoid it. It's really inferior from what I've read.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dragonage-blood.jpg

One of my favorite abilities
beastgrin2.gif

And I couldn't help but snicker at the name of this guy's group:

dragonage-whitefalcon.jpg

So let's see, an ability that makes your character bleed excessively, a Berserker class, an ability called BERSERK and a mercenary group called the White Falcons?!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
By request!

Stats-Lvl16.jpg

Stats2-Lvl16.jpg

My current stats. They could be higher, but I got a ring as a gift and I'm such a romantic that I'm keeping it despite having much better equipment. :farnese: Those interested can also see my regular party members in the top left corner of the first picture.

And my sword:

Starfang.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truly awesome sword, Aaz!

That reminds me, I haven't uploaded my stats yet...

dragonage-stats.jpg

And while I'm at it, here's my accomplishments:

dragonage-accomplishments.jpg

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
So these should work?

* Windows Vista Home Premium
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0G
* RAM: 3GB DDR2
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (dunno much about video cards)
* 250GB

Yeah, it came with Vista.

I just got finished with Demon's Souls (FANTASTIC game) and Dragon Age looks like a nice way to continue.

Also... are you using the same character, Aaz & Wally?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Well, they're not exactly the same, it looks like Walter's wearing a different pair of boots! :ganishka:

But please do keep up with the screenshots guys, it looks like altogether too much fun.

The amount of content in this game is astounding, I've already played a good 8 hours and I'm barely through the beginning of the game. Of course that might also have to do with that I am trying two different characters, each about 4 hours in. The game is a good challenge at times too where is you could go in and lose badly but then if you change around your tactics you could dominate and I like that. The story and character interactions are amazing as well. The only problem is in the very beginning of the game you don't have much access to healing items/spells unless your a mage but other than that its one of the greatest games out there.

I don't have many of the party members yet but I'm thinking of going with a warrior, melee rogue, ranged rogue, and a mage with some healing.

So, am I the only one with a Elf character here? :serpico:

@Uriel, ya it looks like you should be able to run it, your RAM and Video card will definitely be able to handle it. The only thing I would be worried about is your processor, its a bit better than the required but not very close to the recommended. You should be able to run it about low-medium settings I think.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
So these should work?

I'm not sure about the graphics card, it might be a bit light. I don't have a laptop though so I don't really know how these "mobile" cards relate to standard ones.

Uriel said:
Also... are you using the same character, Aaz & Wally?

Haha nah, but we've been keeping up with each other as we progress and we both play a human warrior wearing the Blood Dragon armor, so we have the same look. It's a bonus armor (that can be imported into Mass Effect 2) so it's pretty good. I've found various pieces of equipment that are superior to the gauntlets, helmet and boots, but wearing a set grants you a bonus so I'm sticking to it for now.

That being said, where our characters greatly differ is in our specializations. I use two-handed weapons whereas Walter is a master of the sword/shield combo.

Grail said:
Well, they're not exactly the same, it looks like Walter's wearing a different pair of boots! :ganishka:

Different gloves too. And he doesn't have this super sword! :badbone:

Starfang2.jpg

Grail said:
But please do keep up with the screenshots guys, it looks like altogether too much fun.

Here, just for you:

Schmooples.jpg

Schmooples2.jpg

EndlessSky said:
I've already played a good 8 hours and I'm barely through the beginning of the game.

Just so you know, at the time that screenshot that says I've completed 36% of the game was taken, I was 55 hours into the game. And that's the game's inner clock, Steam tells me I've spent 91.6 hours on it...

EndlessSky said:
The game is a good challenge at times too where is you could go in and lose badly but then if you change around your tactics you could dominate and I like that.

One of my friends is playing the game in Hard. It is hard, according to him. Not for the faint of heart.

EndlessSky said:
So, am I the only one with a Elf character here? :serpico:

I'll make an elf next. :guts:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Aazealh said:
Here, just for you:
SCHMOOPLES! :ganishka: Thanks Aaz, how did you guess that I was a fan of naked mole rats? As far as I'm concerned, this seals the game's greatness in my mind for all time.

Also, has anybody tried a dwarven character out yet? Poor guys, always so tragically neglected. :judo: They seem like the RPG standard, but I'm curious to try one out for my first playthrough.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Too bad I can only get this for PS3 or 360. It's definitely a game that is worth it on the PC, according to this thread. Nice sword Aaz!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
SCHMOOPLES! :ganishka: Thanks Aaz, how did you guess that I was a fan of naked mole rats? As far as I'm concerned, this seals the game's greatness in my mind for all time.

I'm just perceptive like that. :carcus:

Grail said:
Also, has anybody tried a dwarven character out yet? Poor guys, always so tragically neglected. :judo: They seem like the RPG standard, but I'm curious to try one out for my first playthrough.

A buddy of mine is playing as a female dwarf warrior and having a lot of fun. Never been a big fan of dwarves myself when it comes to my main character, but I think I'll make a dwarf/rogue sometime in the future just to know their "origin" story.

In this game Bioware has included a twist to the traditional dwarf story of "sturdy warriors who love ale" in the form of complicated inner politics, so if you try one it shouldn't just be the same old stuff you've seen in every other fantasy story.

Ya, I have a friend of mine playing as a Dwarf Nobleman and he said he really enjoyed their origin story. The dwarves in this actually look like small people in this instead of the usual round and stumpy things.

Finally got my ps3 back so now I can play this awesome game again. But I need to wait till later which sucks. Time to go to redcliff part 2 mwahaha hopefully I can finish it this time.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Well, went ahead and bought the game on Steam thanks to Aaz's screenshots. :slan:
I went with a Human Noble Warrior, and I'm only a few hours in, but man am I having fun. I'm in the group of people who missed the boat on the Baldur's Gate games and tried to get into them recently, but found 'em too dated to enjoy. Dragon Age, however, is the game I've been yearning for for years: old school fantasy RPGness with pretty graphics.

Also, I named my dog Pippin as well Walter haha. As soon as the game gave me the option, I knew it had to be Berserk related, and my mind instantly recalled Griffith's hallucination pre-Eclipse. Silly Pippin. :serpico:

Top Bottom