Dragon Age: Origins

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Spiders.jpg

The only thing better than a spider is a giant spider.

Devour2.jpg

Yummy!

BloodFury1.jpg

Gathering strength...

BloodFury2.jpg

BOOM!

OgreRam.jpg

BAM! :iva:

Shriek.jpg

"You're one ugly motherfucker."

yesmilord said:
You're right about that. Stacking sustained abilities like that can be very potent, which just means you have enough 'passive' power to make up for the lack of activated abilities. I've been trying to balance both, but unfortunately that just doesn't fit my playstyle. Because my character's damage output per-hit with dual wielding is so high, I'd rather her just be able to spam her main attacks: Punisher (freaking amazing damage), Dual Weapon Sweep (low cost, spammable aoe that is also powerful on single targets), and Whirlwind (a primary aoe attack).

What I was saying is that in addition to all those sustained abilities I also use activated skills in every fight, notably Mighty Blow, Critical Strike, Two-Handed Sweep and Pommel Strike, with Final Blow and Devour as jokers.

yesmilord said:
Good luck to you! Fire in this game looks amazing!
Fire from those lava-looking spawns or the dragon traps stay on for a while, so that's where I got mine!

Well I was on fire a couple of times but just didn't have the reflex to pause. I have one screenshot but it's not good enough to post. Since then my character's been resisting most fire attacks.

yesmilord said:
Also, my next character will be a mage. When I'm not just healing with Morrigan, she has some of the most amazing crowd control in the game! Sleep, Blizzard, and Cone of Cold wreck all sorts of face!

Yeah, Sleep and Blizzard are amazing. My own favorite is probably Crushing Prison though.

X

Xem

I'm amazed at how many people are responding to Aaz's screen shots, but not his commentary! Well done, sir, well done. Kinda brings me back to the old days when I used to make battle reports for StarCraft...

I'd join the club of people being recruited by the screen shots except I wanted the game before all of this started, but alas, I'm still one broke Berserk fan. I can hardly even afford the volumes anymore...

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I've been playing this way too much lately. My character (Farney) is a dual wielding elf rogue. It seems like you guys opt more for the heavy armor. Typically I use 2 rogues and 2 mages. I conjure up a lot of blizzards, and send Lelaina's wolf or bear into it to finish off enemies (I think they are mostly immune though I don't pay much attention). The rogues can use their bows to shatter enemies (and stonefist for Wynn). Anyone who manages to get out alive ends up diced pretty fast. For the bosses I always use my blades. I used the life giver ring and some physical resist items so my rogue has comparable stats to the tank characters.

Getting Ready to serve a hot meal!
2.jpg

I don't think he liked it.
3.jpg

Farney making a landing on a dragon. I was lvl 15 at the time.

7.jpg

The actual deathblow was quite messy.
8.jpg

The old hatchet in the eye trick.
9.jpg

10.jpg

Some funny shots

Alistair getting a bit carried away with his bear killing technique. I feel bad for the thing

5.jpg

Leliana howling at the moon and embarrassing her wolf.

11.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I laughed at almost all those last ones :ganishka:

Got some new pics of my own tonight:

dragonage-dragon2.jpg

Standard dragonslaying picture #216

dragonage-ogre.jpg

Shale's looking really useful here as I do all the work.

dragonage-gaxkang.jpg

Came across this beast tonight... toughest boss I've fought yet, and he's optional. Great drops too.

dragonage-shieldbash.jpg

Shield Bash -- my character's #1 backup plan.

dragonage-wynne.jpg

Look out Grandma!!!

dragonage-enchantment.jpg

"Enchantment!" I love this kid :slan:

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Walter said:
http://skullknight.net/images/dragonage-enchantment.jpg
"Enchantment!" I love this kid :slan:[/b]
[/center]

Hah, yeah I stop by most every time I am at camp and swap my runes around just because it makes his day.

Came across this beast tonight... toughest boss I've fought yet, and he's optional. Great drops too.

Yeah, I didn't see that one coming when I walked into the hut. :daiba:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I'm amazed at how many people are responding to Aaz's screen shots, but not his commentary! Well done, sir, well done.

Hehe thanks. I have fun with some of the file names too. :iva:

Serpico said:
I've been playing this way too much lately. My character (Farney) is a dual wielding elf rogue. It seems like you guys opt more for the heavy armor. Typically I use 2 rogues and 2 mages.

Interesting choice for a group. Personally I use Morrigan, Leliana and Wynne most of the time. I remove Wynne when I feel like letting another character in for story purposes. Truth be told, Morrigan's the only one I care for (and not just because my character bedded her! :troll:). Leliana's just around to unlock chests and buff me up and yesterday I had Alistair with me and realized I didn't really miss Wynne at all. Not that Alistair did anything either but carry the luggage.

Serpico said:
I used the life giver ring and some physical resist items so my rogue has comparable stats to the tank characters.

To the NPC tanks, you mean? They can't compare to the real deal. :badbone:

Walter said:
Look out Grandma!!!

Awesome. :ganishka:

Breed1Ghost said:
Damn it I with I could take screens =(

Well you can. Just press the key assigned to take them. You can check which one it is in the options, but by default it's the "Print Screen" key anyway. And on that note...

Counter-offer.jpg

They call me the negotiator. :troll:

H-Ow-e.jpg

I just like the look on his face. :zodd:

Conglomeration.jpg

Ahhh, casting Walking Nightmare in confined spaces, a delight to watch. :ubik:

Massacre2.jpg

They needed a good rest after all that agitation. :griffnotevil:

Eagle-eye.jpg

Check out that super RTS view I unlocked! (it was a random bug)

Gaxkang1.jpg

Obligatory Gaxkang screenshot since you guys mentioned him.

Gaxkang2.jpg

For the anecdote, as Wally pointed out before I even realized myself it, he's a tribute to the legendary Kangaxx the Lich, from Baldur's Gate 2.

Homerun1.jpg

Yeah, this just never really gets old.

Homerun2.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great screenshots as usual, guys! I finally got the game, so hopefully I'll be able to contribute, myself. :serpico: I spent the entire weekend wasting away in Ferelden, and made it to about level 10 on my dual-wielding Dwarf, who is turning out to be a tremendous amount of fun to play. I started with the Dwarf commoner background story, which I think lends itself well to the nice guy playstyle (or maybe I'm just such a determined goody-goody that it really wouldn't have mattered :badbone:).

Aazealh said:
Personally I use Morrigan, Leliana and Wynne most of the time. I remove Wynne when I feel like letting another character in for story purposes. Truth be told, Morrigan's the only one I care for (and not just because my character bedded her! :troll:). Leliana's just around to unlock chests and buff me up and yesterday I had Alistair with me and realized I didn't really miss Wynne at all. Not that Alistair did anything either but carry the luggage.
Haha, I'm kind of the opposite. Alistair's probably my favorite supporting character so far, while I'm struggling to stay in Morrigan's and Sten's good graces. I've discovered that Wynne is pretty much indispensable as a healer, though, so I've got a feeling that she won't be leaving my party for a good while. Which brings me to my next observation: this game is DIFFICULT. :judo: I'm playing on Normal mode here, and I was surprised to see myself struggling so much. But I think that's part of what makes the game so much fun, kudos to the developers for making a game that requires an actual strategy to play. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you're playing! :ubik:

The difficulty, in my opinion, is on a downward slope. It's tougher in the beginning than later, because you have much more combat options, such as crowd control, at your disposal once you level up enough.

yesmilord

千年王国
Aaz, you're such a stud :iva:

Glad to see you on board, Grail! Can't wait to see your dwarf !

I actually didn't grab Wynne early on, so I made Morrigan do most of my healing even though she doesn't have a the spirit healer specialization lol. Only now when I went to the Mage Circle did I realize I should've picked her up way earlier. I also agree that Alistair is my favorite supporting character. His dialogue is golden! I hear that Ogrehn's lines are pretty funny as well, but I haven't talked to him much.

And I'd like to proudly announce that I found the Arcane Mage specialization yesterday, meaning Morrigan gets to wear plate and thus join in my screenshots! Quad plate wearers!!!

Screenshot20091122031517546.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Haha, I'm kind of the opposite. Alistair's probably my favorite supporting character so far, while I'm struggling to stay in Morrigan's and Sten's good graces.

Well that isn't very surprising if you're a goody two-shoes. :ganishka:

Walter said:
The difficulty, in my opinion, is on a downward slope. It's tougher in the beginning than later, because you have much more combat options, such as crowd control, at your disposal once you level up enough.

I think it's mostly a matter of getting used to the play-style to be honest. I didn't have any more trouble early on than I do right now. But yeah, the more talents you get, the more options you have.

yesmilord said:
His dialogue is golden! I hear that Ogrehn's lines are pretty funny as well, but I haven't talked to him much.

Yeah, Oghren's dialogue far surpasses that of Alistair as far as I'm concerned. Want an appropriate example?

Oghren: So... you and the Grey Warden, huh?
Morrigan: I hope you're not referring to Alistair.
Oghren: Him? Does he even like girls?
Morrigan: I believe the matter is still up for debate.
Oghren: So... you and the Grey Warden, huh?
Morrigan: Do you actually have a question, dwarf, or is your intent simply to leer and drool?
Oghren: Stick to the classics. Leer and drool.
Morrigan: *sigh* I thought so.

The Leliana/Wynne combo is surprisingly funny too at times.

yesmilord said:
And I'd like to proudly announce that I found the Arcane Mage specialization yesterday, meaning Morrigan gets to wear plate and thus join in my screenshots! Quad plate wearers!!!

I gave her the specialization too, but she still wears her robes. Not only are they more... pleasing to the eyes (:carcus:), but they boost her magical skills and that's really all I care about. I got the smashing-things-to-bits part covered. :void:

Are you playing while logged in to Bioware? If so all the screens you take should upload to your profile on the website. I'm not sure if this is only a PC feature or not though.

EndlessSky said:
Are you playing while logged in to Bioware? If so all the screens you take should upload to your profile on the website. I'm not sure if this is only a PC feature or not though.

It might be I dont know of any features that let you take screens on the ps3 version. I only glanced at the booklet while it installed I could have overloocked that information. But as far as I know I can not :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Thanks for the help but I cant post scans I have the ps3 version my comp is not a gamen machine :judo:

Right, sorry. Didn't think about that. The console version is quite inferior apparently. :sad:

Anyway, I finished the game at last yesterday after having taken my sweet time with it. Finished at level 23. I took a few screenshots (surprisingly few actually) but I'm not going to post them yet to avoid spoiling you guys.

Here are my stats though, just for the sake of it:

StatsLast updated 2009-11-24 02:56:56
Strength 53 +9
Dexterity 20 +6
Willpower 30 +9
Magic 13 +4
Cunning 20 +4
Constitution35 +16
Heroic Stats
Kills:1456
Damage dealt:359415
Friendly-fire damage dealt:4203
Greatest damage dealt:281
Contribution to party damage:50
Hit rate:92
Most powerful foe slain:Archdemon
Injuries:4

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on beating it Aaz. I'm right behind you. I'm within the final moments of the game, but at about 3:30 am last night I hung it up, knowing I had to be up in 5 hours so... I'll be beating it tonight!

For those that haven't yet bought Dragon Age, the deluxe edition is on sale on Direct2Drive for $55, and the standard edition for $40. Quite a steal: http://www.direct2drive.com/3/8680/product/Buy-Dragon-Age:-Origins-Digital-Deluxe-Edition-Download

--------------
Update: Beat it.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Damn you Walter! You're playing at my one true weakness... deals! I must... resist... Just don't have.. ...the time... :mozgus:

I've beaten it awhile ago on my Dalish Elf, but I didn't hardly any of the side-quests. So now I'm playing through as my Human Noble going to make some different choices and do all the side-quests I can find.

Also:
Did you guys do the thing were you can get Loghain as a companion? There is a way you can do it but it makes Alistair leave, I am wondering if any of you guys tried it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EndlessSky said:
Also:
Did you guys do the thing were you can get Loghain as a companion? There is a way you can do it but it makes Alistair leave, I am wondering if any of you guys tried it.

I explored all the possibilities, but eventually just executed him and forced Alistair and Anora's wedding. Next time I play a male character I'll probably have Alistair kill him, then let Anora execute Alistair, and marry her myself to be crowned king. :ganishka:

I've started a human female mage (playing in Hard) but haven't gone far yet.

Oh my... Steam is offering Dragon Age for $37.49 USD just for today, but I'm too addicted to Mass Effect, so if I buy it now I don't know if I'm gonna play it. I was planning on immediately replaying Mass Effect after I finish it... but what if the price is never this low for the next few months?!

What a tough decision! Goddamn you BioWare for doing this to me!

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Eluvei said:
Oh my... Steam is offering Dragon Age for $37.49 USD just for today, but I'm too addicted to Mass Effect, so if I buy it now I don't know if I'm gonna play it. I was planning on immediately replaying Mass Effect after I finish it... but what if the price is never this low for the next few months?!

What a tough decision! Goddamn you BioWare for doing this to me!

Buy it. Even I did.

I'm a bit of a dragon age widower :iva: my other half has played it much more than I have; and I think my little brother is playing it right now... yes as he's just asked me an Orzammar related question. Anyway when I do get a go I'm a Human Arcane Warrior knocking about in the Armour of the Legion and after finding the keening blade discovering it's warriors only I need to find a good sword I can actually use :puck:

I really liked the twist in Wynne's story, I didn't see that one coming :???:

I thinking what to do for my next play through (as I'm drawing closer and closer to the end) aside from :be more evil: I was thinking of making an evil/uncouth elf wielding a crossbow and massive battleaxe just as to proverbially poke Tolkien conventions in the eye :ganishka: any other suggestions?

I've been enjoying aimo's DA comic strips too, they were well stumbled upon :guts:

Top Bottom