Dragon Age: Origins

yesmilord

千年王国
I just finished the game. There were several difficult situations towards the end, choice-wise, that made me scratch my head. In all, it was an entertaining run and I'd probably play it at least one more time and act as an evil badass mage that will snatch Morrigan's heart :femto:.

And for people that have finished the game
I'm not sure if you guys played as a female, but I romanced Alistair and refused Morrigan's offer to conceive his child. In the end, even after I said "no" multiple times, he STILL sacrificed himself instead of me. Broke my heart :farnese:

Non-spoiler vanity screenshots to come soon!

Scorpio said:
Buy it. Even I did.

Thanks, that was all I needed. Just bought it too! Not gonna play it so soon though...
N7.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Manjou said:
I thinking what to do for my next play through (as I'm drawing closer and closer to the end) aside from :be more evil: I was thinking of making an evil/uncouth elf wielding a crossbow and massive battleaxe just as to proverbially poke Tolkien conventions in the eye :ganishka: any other suggestions?

A xenophobic noble-born dwarf rogue whose only interest is his financial and political status?

yesmilord said:
And for people that have finished the game

Your question isn't very clear. Having played as a man and having gone the hopeless-romantic route with Morrigan I can't really comment on what the female version is exactly (and I'd rather have not known in advance of doing it myself), but it might have simply been a matter of
who between you and Alistair delivered the killing blow. Riordan says the closest Grey Warden is the one to be sacrificed. In order to be absolutely safe you could have chosen to not include him in the group, but otherwise it might be possible to just position him far away from the beast as it is about to fall.

Scorpio said:
Buy it. Even I did.
Eluvei said:
Thanks, that was all I needed. Just bought it too! Not gonna play it so soon though...
N7.gif

I hope you guys got the Deluxe edition, it's really worth it IMHO.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I've been absolutely mesmerized by this game and I can barely tear myself away from it. Because Aaz made it look so fashionable and the fact that the game is just pure screenshot bliss, here are more screenshots! I took a ton of them and I didn't want to clutter the thread so I made a set on flickr that will hopefully make things easier for those interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45409238@N06/sets/72157622839960471/

My only regret is that I only figured out how to toggle the user interface on and off using v a good portion of the way in, so a lot of my earlier screens have some annoying spell bars in the way.

Scorpio

Well I can't argue with that! :ganishka: Uh, I wasn't very good at narrowing them down... I only managed to purge 10 or so from the flickr album, but hopefully nobody will complain!

Introducing...
Screenshot20091129174740107.jpg

Skoll!​

Screenshot20091201212050142.jpg

He moonlights as Batman on weekends​

Screenshot20091201225344394.jpg

He's none too fond of spiders​

Screenshot20091202001834773.jpg

And he takes an eye for an eye to a whole new level​

Screenshot20091206232650816.jpg

Screenshot20091206234558506.jpg

Screenshot20091207010756757.jpg

How's that for a splitting headache?​

Screenshot20091207182032968.jpg

Home run!​

Screenshot20091207194726039.jpg

Screenshot20091207222054757.jpg

Screenshot20091207222158084.jpg

Screenshot20091207222243348.jpg

Screenshot20091207231211874.jpg

Aha! Got you! Hey, what's that over ther...​

Screenshot20091207231221669.jpg

Oh dear.​

Screenshot20091208001228979.jpg

Screenshot20091208001251661.jpg

Screenshot20091208001533156.jpg

A job well done​

Screenshot20091208001654747.jpg

Screenshot20091208001823806.jpg

Finally! Revenge for that beating earlier!​

Screenshot20091208001851326.jpg

First ogre perspective​

Screenshot20091208001937283.jpg

The final blow​

Screenshot20091208010938544.jpg

People think the darkspawn fight dirty...​

Screenshot20091208010946200.jpg

Right where it hurts​

Screenshot20091208014114809.jpg

Screenshot20091208114938228.jpg

Skoll is.... the Demolition Man!​

If anyone is interested in seeing a few more or any of these only bigger then check out the link in my last post. Probably more to come as well, if I can tear myself away long enough.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
T'sup guys! Man those are some sick screens Scorpio! If only my tiny mac keyboard had a printscreen button. : (

As of right now I'm torn as to whether or not I should blame Aaz or Bioware for making me buy this game. I had no plans to be dungeon grinding for hours on end into the wee hours of the knight, until I saw all these sick pictures. I'm thinking a blood mage cast a hex on me, for my will to resist this game is weak. :ganishka:

Here are a few of shots of my adventures.
4173310874_d57021c5b7_o.jpg

ROooOAARR!!!!
4173310870_c0f357a49b_o.jpg

Showin off mah' one handed meteor sword. I noticed a lot of you chose the two hander, and it makes me a little sad because it looks so wicked. : ( but I love all the shield talents. :D
Blade, meet dragon skull!
4173310858_07118faab8_o.jpg

Down she goes!
4173310868_0a8c6a747b_o.jpg

Batabing!
4173310878_96f23c553a_o.jpg

Umdog-dogdiggy chaos! This is one of my favorite shots of mine. ;3

<3 dragon age. I feel like such a badass when I do those finishing moves.

Aphasia said:
I had no plans to be dungeon grinding for hours on end into the wee hours of the knight

Wow, you're really addicted! :ganishka:

I only remembered to take pics today; took one of a pretty scenery since all you guys enjoy are epic pictures of fighting ugly demons while bathing in their blood!

screenshot2009120919531.jpg

Well, there's a dead body and I'm covered in blood too, though. :iva:

Aphasia

Oh my gracious, I made a pun and I didn't even recognize it. :ganishka: how sad. That's a really pretty screenshot. Well, your characters are covered/splattered with blood 90% of the game so it's hard to get a shot without. The environments really are gorgeous; I wish I could go back to Ostagar and hang out. I like your shield, I use that one every now and again. : )

By the way, if you head over to the Z-brush forums you can check out the high poly of some of the demons/dragons in the featured art. Really awesome stuff.

Oh, how are you guys turning off your hud? or are you just cropping the picture? I haven't found an easy button to toggle it.

Thanks for the tip Aphasia, those are some amazing creatures. How nice of the guy to post them!

And you're right, that shield is cool, look how it shines in the light! See, we one-handed swordsmen can look wicked too. :sad:

Here's two more I just took:

screenshot2009121002441.jpg

TRAINING HARD!

screenshot2009121002455.jpg

Me and my mini-Dragonslayer posing. Damn, we're good.

It's a shame I have to use such a shitty helmet (Tier 2) just so it will look good with my powerful armor. I'm a slave to fashion!

About the hud, the default button to turn it on/off is V, but it can be changed on the settings too, I think.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, nice screenshots! Reminds me that I need to post the last few I have... I guess I'll do it this week-end.

Aphasia said:
As of right now I'm torn as to whether or not I should blame Aaz or Bioware for making me buy this game.

Have you purchased MASS EFFECT yet? :griffnotevil:

Aphasia said:
Showin off mah' one handed meteor sword. I noticed a lot of you chose the two hander, and it makes me a little sad because it looks so wicked. : ( but I love all the shield talents. :D

Don't be sad, your one-handed sword is awesome. :slan:

Eluvei said:
About the hud, the default button to turn it on/off is V, but it can be changed on the settings too, I think.

Yes, it can be reassigned, same thing for the screenshotting key.

Aphasia

Aazealh said:
Hey guys, nice screenshots! Reminds me that I need to post the last few I have... I guess I'll do it this week-end.

Have you purchased MASS EFFECT yet? :griffnotevil:

Oh no you don't. You can't suck me into Mass Effect too, any life I have would disappear into the fade. Looking forward to seeing your new screenshots. :D

Eluvei,

I eventually figured out it was V after attacking my keyboard like a piano. Thanks though! That sure does make for a clean screenshot. Funny that you mention that; I opted for fashion against practical benefits quite a bit throughout the game. I just couldn't stand not matching. : P we are men of good taste.

I just finished it myself (thank goodness) there were definitely some tough choices. That's what Bioware was going for, too. : ) a dark scenario created by tough choices, as in real life. (from an article I read in game-informer)

As for the ending, I thought it was spectacular. I was really hoping my guy would pull through after impaling the arch demon, but alas, he perished in awesomeness.

Did you guys have a favorite supporting character? I have to say Sten was my favorite out of the bunch. Something about his voice and honor-based lifestyle really appealed to me. Morrigan was cool too, though Alister really didn't do much for me. I felt like slapping him for whining so much. I heard Leliana? was cool, but failed to recruit her my first playthrough.

Edit: ZOMG Walter's avatar has tarnished my vision of the cute WallE. I almost didn't recognize him because I was so used to that full-sized brain.

Scorpio

Aphasia said:
As for the ending, I thought it was spectacular. I was really hoping my guy would pull through after impaling the arch demon, but alas, he perished in awesomeness.

I take it you
didn't accept Morrigan's offer then. My character lived on to see another day.

Having beaten the game with my main character, I've tried going through some of the different origin stories. So far I've finished a very sinister dwarf rogue commoner and a warm hearted elf mage. I find it very interesting that some of the characters you bump into in the future no matter what race/class you choose have extended roles in certain origin stories. It's a really nice touch.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Oh no you don't. You can't suck me into Mass Effect too, any life I have would disappear into the fade.

No seriously man, you don't understand. Dragon Age: Origins is great, but Mass Effect is God's gift to Man. It's really cheap nowadays so you'd have to be mad to pass on it, especially since Mass Effect 2 (which will be a direct continuation of the first game) is coming out in a month and a half.

Aphasia said:
Looking forward to seeing your new screenshots. :D

Well, here they are. Not that they're anything special, only reason I didn't post them before was to avoid spoiling people. I'll still just link them in case.

Shades

01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10 | 11 | Cake

Aphasia said:
Did you guys have a favorite supporting character? I have to say Sten was my favorite out of the bunch. Something about his voice and honor-based lifestyle really appealed to me. Morrigan was cool too, though Alister really didn't do much for me. I felt like slapping him for whining so much. I heard Leliana? was cool, but failed to recruit her my first playthrough.

Loved Morrigan, Leliana and Shale. Wynne wasn't bad either, but too preachy for my taste, and I got Oghren too late to really enjoy him, but he was still rather fun. Alistair was too whiny yeah, and Sten's obtuseness annoyed me. As for Zevran... Gah. Dog gets bonus points for some pretty funny moments.

Scorpio said:
I find it very interesting that some of the characters you bump into in the future no matter what race/class you choose have extended roles in certain origin stories. It's a really nice touch.

Yeah I found it very neat as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Shale was easily my favorite. I really enjoyed finding what Shale would call her "squishy" center beyond her harsh exterior. The others complained too much. And were WEAK!

My favorites were probably Zevran and Oghren. But I'll admit, my choice is being influenced by this. :ganishka:

Also, you have the option to let Oghren give the news of dead husbands to widows on a side-quest. He says things like
"Good news, you're single again."
And Zevran's sharpness, especially towards Morrigan on those party conversations, was pretty neat. I did want to punch him sometimes though.

Aphasia said:
Oh no you don't. You can't suck me into Mass Effect too, any life I have would disappear into the fade.

Seriously, you'll definitely love Mass Effect if you enjoyed Dragon Age as much as I did. It's 10 bucks, you're wasting time doing anything else!

Aphasia

Maybe I'll buy it and put it on the back burner. Or, I could always starve and play Mass Effect all day...Hmm, life choices...who needs'em.

Walter said:
Shale was easily my favorite. I really enjoyed finding what Shale would call her "squishy" center beyond her harsh exterior. The others complained too much. And were WEAK!

Shale had a lot of great dialouge. I laughed when I rescued him from his village and the little outro cutscene rolled. He stuck with my party till the end, along with me, Morrigan and my faithful dog.
I'm sad that I didn't have the option to let my dog give the final blow. Bioware really dropped the ball on this ultimate ending. I mean, he's drank enough dark spawn blood to be 10 gray wardens.

Eluvei said:
Also, you have the option to let Oghren give the news of dead husbands to widows on a side-quest. He says things like
"Good news, you're single again."
That's too funny. I wish I'd done that quest now.

Aazealh said:
Loved Morrigan, Leliana and Shale. Wynne wasn't bad either, but too preachy for my taste, and I got Oghren too late to really enjoy him, but he was still rather fun. Alistair was too whiny yeah, and Sten's obtuseness annoyed me. As for Zevran... Gah. Dog gets bonus points for some pretty funny moments.
There was some pretty funny "dialogue" with the dog and other characters.
I recall one rather cute instance where Morrigan was suckered into giving him another mabari crunch. :p As for Zevran, I ended up stripping him down to his skibbies and slaughtering him in the library after he freaking attacked my party? He had his lunch money stolen good. Did this happen with any of you guys or was it something I did?.
Sweet screenshots by the way. His wings look like their burning in one shot. Portal Reference FTW.

Scorpio said:
I take it you
didn't accept Morrigan's offer then. My character lived on to see another day.

*Gasp* of course not.
I gave her a good slapping and said "I'M NOT PULLING A Casca R U KIDDING?"
That's what being a Gray Warden is all about.
I think you should step back and think about the importance of the duties granted to you :ganishka:. In death, Sacrifice. : O Plus you get to see yourself on a cool gravestone lol.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Maybe I'll buy it and put it on the back burner. Or, I could always starve and play Mass Effect all day...Hmm, life choices...who needs'em.

Whatever is most important to you in this world should honestly be secondary to Mass Effect. That of course includes eating.

Aphasia said:
I'm sad that I didn't have the option to let my dog give the final blow. Bioware really dropped the ball on this ultimate ending. I mean, he's drank enough dark spawn blood to be 10 gray wardens.

Even if you were being serious here, remember that among other things there needs to be a drop of
Archdemon blood
in what they make you drink in order for someone to become a Grey Warden.

Aphasia said:
As for Zevran, I ended up stripping him down to his skibbies and slaughtering him in the library after he freaking attacked my party? He had his lunch money stolen good. Did this happen with any of you guys or was it something I did?.

He can turn on you if you don't maneuver him well. I didn't have to kill him in my original run personally.

Aphasia said:
Sweet screenshots by the way. His wings look like their burning in one shot.

Actually you'll notice that one of its wings is torn, preventing it from really flying
(all thanks to Riordan)

Scorpio

Aphasia said:
*Gasp* of course not.
I gave her a good slapping and said "I'M NOT PULLING A Casca R U KIDDING?"
That's what being a Gray Warden is all about.
I think you should step back and think about the importance of the duties granted to you :ganishka:. In death, Sacrifice. : O Plus you get to see yourself on a cool gravestone lol.
On the other hand, I became a living legend in Ferelden and set out on my journey to find my one true love, Morrigan (though of course the game ends before I actually leave)

Aazealh said:
Even if you were being serious here, remember that among other things there needs to be a drop of
Archdemon blood
in what they make you drink in order for someone to become a Grey Warden.

But...
surely the dog got plenty of Archdemon blood in the final fight :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
On the other hand, I became a living legend in Ferelden and set out on my journey to find my one true love, Morrigan (though of course the game ends before I actually leave)

Did you wear her ring? I did. :slan:

Scorpio said:
But...
surely the dog got plenty of Archdemon blood in the final fight :troll:

Well tried, but as fuxberg pointed out, you still fail.

Is anyone getting the new DLC, Return to Ostagar, that comes out this holiday season? I'm still unsure myself, since I'll already spend a fortune on Mass Effect 2 very soon. I'll most likely wait for my second playthrough to buy it.

Aphasia said:

Have you tried talking to Santa?

Top Bottom