Duranki - New series for the studio of Kentarō Miura

Sorry, I did not know or post this news.

A new series, titled Duranki (ド ゥ ル ア ン ン キ), will begin on September 9 in the first issue of Young Animal Zero. At the drawing/history we will find the Studio Gaga (The Studio of Kentarô MIURA). Moreover it is announced as the producer of the series. For its debut, the series will be entitled to two episodes for a total of 64 pages.

Finally, in this first issue, we will find a clear file (front/back cover) of Berserk.

That's great news! I like how Miura does some other small series besides Berserk every once in a while like he did with Gigantomakhia.

I guess it helps him get his mind off of Berserk for a bit and start something new to refresh. :ubik:

First promotional pictures.

oKd3MWYh_o.jpg

FHVAdvIH_o.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, his studio is certainly spreading their wings! I wonder if he staffed up for this or just found a way to give them more time/freedom to explore new story concepts. In any case, it's a big move to expand the brand that Berserk built. I'll definitely be picking it up.

The autism on the internet is spreading, after this news.

Oh yeah, the second I saw the post I knew this was going to happen, but whatever.

I just find it funny how everyone's reaction on Twitter and reddit was "Has he given up on Berserk?!".

Most of them probably didn't even read the announcement and just assumed that Miura dropped Berserk and decided to write another manga for whatever reason :ganishka:

It's a smart business move. I'm sure he sees the completion of Berserk on the horizon at this point (even if it's 10 years) and he'll need other ventures to occupy his time. And the more independent he can be, the more freedom he has. Good on him!

We will see when its released, but it still looks like the characters are drawn by Miura

So the art most likely won't be just done by his assistants

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We will see when its released, but it still looks like the characters are drawn by Miura

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If he were the primary artist, they would have pitched him as that, and not as the more abstract role of "producer." Also, what we've seen so far is promotional art, not page art. And if they're wanting to launch this title on the popularity of Berserk, then featuring a Miura piece is certainly the best way to do that, but that alone doesn't mean he's the primary artist.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, his studio is certainly spreading their wings! I wonder if he staffed up for this or just found a way to give them more time/freedom to explore new story concepts.

Yeah I had the same thought. Very curious to know who's working on what exactly. He was looking for assistants in July, so I think his old staff might have "graduated" to doing their own work. And even if they're not on it full time, I guess it makes sense that they'd have enough time on their hands since Berserk's publication has slowed down over the years...

In any case, it's a big move to expand the brand that Berserk built.

Yeah, I mean it's finally worth calling a studio! Also, I never knew this until now but the "Gaga" in "Studio Gaga" means "My Drawing".

Like Walter said, if he's listed as producer then you shouldn't expect the art or the writing to come from him. He's supervising and giving direction, but that's probably about it.
Since it's the debut, it's quite possible he did an illustration, but anyway these are artists that Miura has been mentoring for years and whose main job is to help him with his own artwork... So them having a similar style is to be expected.

Looks like Studio Gaga is seeking to break out as a manga collective in a similar vein to Clamp, with Miura in the same leader/producer role as Clamp's Nanase Ohkawa. Which makes sense, as Miura has always been about nurturing young talent and creating the next generation of manga artists.

The little guy looks like a mixture of Zodd, Puck and Isidro lmao

Eh, I'd say that character looks more like something Akira Toriyama would have drawn for early Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest games

Something I hadn't understood before because of the way it's worded: the original concept of this story is also from Miura.

Miura did once say that his mind is always brimming with creative ideas, but he's worried that he won't have enough time to realize them all. Sounds like Studio Gaga is helping Miura bring at least some of his new manga story ideas to life, without him having to take time off Berserk. This in of itself could signify that Berserk is gonna go on for long time yet.

To make it simple Miura will oversee the manga. He wrote the story, but another person from his studio is going to draw.

On the other hand, the image is not the names of the members of the studio. This is the name of the mangakas we will find in the first issue of the magazine.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Miura did once say that his mind is always brimming with creative ideas, but he's worried that he won't have enough time to realize them all. Sounds like Studio Gaga is helping Miura bring at least some of his new manga story ideas to life, without him having to take time off Berserk. This in of itself could signify that Berserk is gonna go on for long time yet.

Well, yeah definitely. I expect Berserk to go on for 10+ years, even if we start getting more regular issues.

To make it simple Miura will oversee the manga. He wrote the story, but another person from his studio is going to draw.

They say he created the original concept, but I wonder if he'll be writing the story going forward (since we don't know how long it's going to run). It doesn't sound like it from the wording, but it's hard to tell.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So now that I have time, here's more information about this series.

It's based on Mesopotamian mythology, and specifically on the religion of Sumer. For reference that's one of the earliest known civilizations, older than 4000 BC. The best known myth from that era is the story of Gilgamesh, but that's not what this story is about. The title, Duranki, refers to "E-dur-an-ki", a temple for the god Enlil that once stood in the city of Nippur. The name "E-dur-an-ki" means "House of the link between heaven and earth."

Courtesy of @puella, The little blurb on the promotional page says:

In the interstice between heaven and earth. Neither god nor human. Usumgallu, a child given a name of "Dragon".
The ancient world. Using their great wisdom, they have built up a new myth!!

The word "interstice" here is the same one used in Berserk, with the same meaning.

And for the guy who was curious, in volume 40, Miura's staff is listed as being Yoshihiro Kurosaki, Akio Miyaji, Nobuhiro Hirai, Naohide Nagashima. I expect these people are involved here, but we won't know for sure until YA details it.

So now that I have time, here's more information about this series.

It's based on Mesopotamian mythology, and specifically on the religion of Sumer. For reference that's one of the earliest known civilizations, older than 4000 BC. The best known myth from that era is the story of Gilgamesh, but that's not what this story is about. The title, Duranki, refers to "E-dur-an-ki", a temple for the god Enlil that once stood in the city of Nippur. The name "E-dur-an-ki" means "House of the link between heaven and earth."

Courtesy of @puella, The little blurb on the promotional page says:

The word "interstice" here is the same one used in Berserk, with the same meaning.

And for the guy who was curious, in volume 40, Miura's staff is listed as being Yoshihiro Kurosaki, Akio Miyaji, Nobuhiro Hirai, Naohide Nagashima. I expect these people are involved here, but we won't know for sure until YA details it.
Honestly from the beginning, this project got me really excited, but the more things I learn the more I'm looking forward to it. Also, thank you Aazealh for the extra info/translations.

Top Bottom