E3 2006

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Chung said:
"Blizzard has no plans to show Diablo 3 at the conference, as they had told IGN editorial in the past. The developer is focusing all of their energy towards promotion of the first World of Warcraft expansion -- The Burning Crusade -- and will save any announcements they may or may not have planned for a later date" :judo:

well thats it, my day has officially gone to shit. I just got to work by the way. :judo:

EDIT: This too. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=8220700&p=1

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
well thats it, my day has officially gone to shit. I just got to work by the way. :judo:

Sorry about that, dude. :puck:

If you haven't seen this already: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2631

There is a gameplay-video on the lower half of the site on how twilight princess is going to be played on the Wii. Pretty impressive...

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
Walter said:
Kaz Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment's President, opened SONY's press conference with these words: "Playstation 3 is the most ambitious project we at SONY computer entertainment have ever undertaken... it requires a huge financial investment and commitment from the entire SONY group. But, we must take risks to reap the rewards..."  Thus, he  launched into a 2 hour conference describing the manner and practice that SONY will undertake to seal its DOOM.

This was honestly one of the most awkward events I've ever witnessed.  When SCE's CEO Ken Kutaragi unveiled the "final" playstation 3 controller from out of his jacket pocket, several people in the audience laughed.  Being an adept corporate pawn, Kutaragi was spurred to laugh WITH them, at his own fucking product.  Way to show confidence in your stolen ideas, Sony.  As "Phil" was demonstrating the groundbreaking Wario Ware Twisted technology that's built into "every playstation3 controller," Kutaragi lingered on frame, grinning like a used car salesman, occasionally asking awkward questions like, "Phil, how does it FEEL?"

All this was of course, well after Sony detailed their interface that "users will get [everytime] they switch on the PS3", allowing them to purchase "additional levels," and to show "community features" to be able to see "what's new" or "what's hot."  Using a game "SingStar", Sony lauches their own psuedo-iTunes  only with it, instead of buying music, you buy music TO KAREOKE TO (just what the world needs...)!  Really, it feels to me like SONY's spreading themselves a bit thin.

But, the most hollow moment for me was when Kaz Hirai took the stage again to show how consumers can now purchase 1st-generation Playstation games on the PSP.  As he loaded up Ridge Racer, he sung a bit to the title music, and pleaded for some sympathy from the audience with a tired: "Ohh this brings back memories for me..." Right, Kaz.

I feel safe knowing that Nintendo's new console is meant to play games, not take on all world markets.
I agree... they sucked their own dicks for quite some time

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I actually think that having multiple operations besides gaming is better, I prefer having everything i need on the go(psp) and everything home entertainment is one place(PS3) its more conveniant, that why the ps2 and the xbox sold more than the gamecube(in america), most people who buy systems these days like to have the same convinence in there game systems

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
No way. If I buy a console I want it just for gaming. I mean sure, a couple additional features are welcome, but I don't want to have to pay extra money so I can do kareoke to some songs.. If I want a portable all around media player, I'll grab my laptop.

IMO companies need to stop worrying about having one more useless feature then another company and start concentrating on what REALLY matters, such as game play and just fun. Thats why Nintendo wins my vote for the next-gen consoles, because they are doing just that.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
But dude, wouldn't you rather spend MORE MONEY so you can have a crappy music player, a crappy movie player, and consequently a crappy game player all built into one crappy product for the crappy consumer? Hell, some of it might even work properly, for a while. Anyway, when I'm blowing a grand, rather then buy a seperate product specialized for each function, I want something that does a little bit of everything, but nothing well.

They should just put skateboard wheels on the bottom, then we could really be the coolest kids in school. :carcus:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
If it could play both Japanese and English games for PS1 through PS3, I will more then be willing to pay 600 bucks for it!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ugh, despite what I may possibly be earning after graduating in a month, $599 (actually more, since that's just the 60GB system) is just too much money to spend on something. It's worth it to a lot of people, sure, but not me. I'll definitely be waiting until it goes down in price. I need to catch up on a ton of PS2 games anyway, since school is coming to an end and I'll actually be able to start playing video games more often. Ah well, I ended up playing Snake Eater over a year after it first came out. Why should MGS4 be any different? :beast:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=mov&id=10483

My friends, that is Crysis, quite possibly one of the best looking games ever made... hell what am I joking about, it is the best looking game to be shown so far. Its pretty much the poster child for DX10 and even cooler is the vid you just watched was DX9, just imagine what DX10 is gonna look like.

One of the few games I'm really looking foward to despite teh fact I'll probably have to buy a lot of new crap just to play it.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
"Griffith No More!" said:
But dude, wouldn't you rather spend MORE MONEY so you can have a crappy music player, a crappy movie player, and consequently a crappy game player all built into one crappy product for the crappy consumer? Hell, some of it might even work properly, for a while. Anyway, when I'm blowing a grand, rather then buy a seperate product specialized for each function, I want something that does a little bit of everything, but nothing well.

They should just put skateboard wheels on the bottom, then we could really be the coolest kids in school. :carcus:

Who's crappy??? Obviouly not sony, expecially if there system hardware is used to release virtually most games on the current gen platform (now granted a lot fo them do suck) and why spend a grand on each thing that you want when, if you spend one grand you get everything you need??? The true fact is, Nintendo is trying to stay to the basics, and in this gaming day and age its not going to cut it, and a prime example is the Gamecube, which had the lowest sales out of all 3 systems (in NA anyways) and NA being the number 1 consumer of most things video games thats just horrible and from what I can tell with Nintendo they still havent learned there lesson, with a controller so complicated people are going to concentrate more on using the controller properly then the game itself. SO if we should be worrying about what system not to buy, its the nintendo Wii

and when has nintendo ever been superior to any gaming platform sense Super Nintendo???(handhelds not included)

Waiting on DMC4 and the new Smash Bros and E3 will be complete for me. Anyone check out the Lost Planet (360) demo yet? I want to know if it's worth downloading from Live.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well im actually pissed that I have to wait till like 1 pm for the MGS 4 trailer!! I thought it was going to be tonight, and im also waiting for crisis core trailer to show up on the web

I too want to see what Square has come up with for Crisis Core. Ya gotta be nuts (or just plain not interested) to not want to see the 15 min MGS4 trailer. Though another day won't kill ya.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
A action RPG starring Zack on the psp what more can you want??? I'll tell yah info on Before Crisis coming to america, do you know anything darwf kicker???

Anybody check the Halo 3 trailer over at Bungie??? All halo fans rejoice!!!

Not sure about everyone else but so far, the things from E3 that I've found so far, the most interesting are and in no particular order:

- Crysis being one of the most incredible looking games I've ever seen, and if more is shown and lives up to the previews and boasts of Crytek (which it looks like its doing), then I just might have to go out and by some more RAM and a DX 10 graphics card.

- Gears of War coming along quite a bit. If anyone has been keeping track of this game, this is the first "real" level they've shown but that's not just it. The animations were once really jerky, the gameplay really slow, awkward and unappealing, and overall looking rather generic aside from the nice graphics. Now the animations are smooth, transition well, the gameplay looks far sharper and better done, and its just got so many cool little touches like the chainsaw bayonet and the awesome looking blood

- Heavenly Sword looking pretty damn awesome in general. I like the combat as its got the crazy combo's of many games but they feel like they've got some substance to them. For example, when she counters an enemy and then slams here giant sword down into his crotch! ouch! Not to mention the graphics look incredible and very polished as well

- Red Steel! This game looks like everything I've been anticipating the Wii for! Sword swinging, gun tooting action! Not to mention it looks pretty damn nice as well as having some pretty fun looking gameplay!

- One point for Sony, but the cool use of the Eye Toy to play card games! Having the monsters appear over the cards and moving with them was pretty nifty if a bit gimmicy, but then gimmics can be a ton of fun!

There is probably some stuff I forgot along the way, but so far, those games have really impressed me as looking good (Graphically), fun, and being a bit more than the rest of the pack! Its still early though, so lets hope for some even cooler stuff as E3 goes on.

Oh and I'm also looking foward to games like Too Human, Bioshock, and a few others from before E3 that havent really been shown off yet!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Apostle said:
Who's crappy??? Obviouly not sony, expecially if there system hardware is used to release virtually most games on the current gen platform (now granted a lot fo them do suck) and why spend a grand on each thing that you want when, if you spend one grand you get everything you need??? The true fact is, Nintendo is trying to stay to the basics, and in this gaming day and age its not going to cut it, and a prime example is the Gamecube, which had the lowest sales out of all 3 systems (in NA anyways) and NA being the number 1 consumer of most things video games thats just horrible and from what I can tell with Nintendo they still havent learned there lesson, with a controller so complicated people are going to concentrate more on using the controller properly then the game itself. SO if we should be worrying about what system not to buy, its the nintendo Wii

and when has nintendo ever been superior to any gaming platform sense Super Nintendo???(handhelds not included)
Nintendo trying to stick to the basics? LOL!!! Seriously, Nintendo is the one company who's still thinking outside the box. They are not only the only company to come out with an overpiced brute of a system relying solely on graphics and prcessing power. Their controller scheme is far more original than anything else, and at the very least will get us gamers up of our fat asses and moving around while playing games.
Sony's PS2 is still great, but the PS3 is pretty much just a late ripoff. Even if I get one, which won't be untill the price drops down, WAY down, I'll probably never play a game that uses the inferior motion sensing capability of their controller. Granted I'm glad they kept their old design (if it ain't broke why fix it?) but their system is just an overpriced version of the PS2 with a few useless doohickies and better graphics.

Apostle said:
Anybody check the Halo 3 trailer over at Bungie??? All halo fans rejoice!!!
OMFG HAlo 3 it Teh RoXXors I HAVeN't evEn Played It bUT I ALREady NoWs!!11!1!! Yeah, it was pretty underwhelming. It really didn't show anything interesting, just a bunch of old stuff rendered on a new system, nothing to get excited about.

In general, this E3 hasn't been too special or enlightening for me. We've got another overpriced console, lots of generic FPSs, and some very pretty graphics. In my mind the Wii blew away the competition, it's got better graphics and unique gameplay at what'll probably be a good cost. I probably won'thave to worry about it overheating either. FFXIII and MGS4 definately caught my eye though. I'm praying for FFXIII, it seems to have potential, but I'll never even play it if the console stays at its current price. Same with MGS4. I'm curious to see what the goal of the game is, and whether or not Snake will even be the main character. Interesting return of Raiden.

Right now I'm pretty much just waiting for the Wii and PSU (which looks to be pretty damn awesome). There was a lot of eye candy at E3, but nothing worth the price. I'll just watch and drool from afar.

BTW, Griffithe, your sig is awesome. U WON E3!

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Vaxillus said:
Nintendo trying to stick to the basics?  LOL!!!  Seriously, Nintendo is the one company who's still thinking outside the box.  They are not only the only company to come out with an overpiced brute of a system relying solely on graphics and prcessing power.  Their controller scheme is far more original than anything else, and at the very least will get us gamers up of our fat asses and moving around while playing games.
Sony's PS2 is still great, but the PS3 is pretty much just a late ripoff.  Even if I get one, which won't be untill the price drops down, WAY down, I'll probably never play a game that uses the inferior motion sensing capability of their controller.  Granted I'm glad they kept their old design (if it ain't broke why fix it?) but their system is just an overpriced version of the PS2 with a few useless doohickies and better graphics.
OMFG HAlo 3 it Teh RoXXors I HAVeN't evEn Played It bUT I ALREady NoWs!!11!1!!  Yeah, it was pretty underwhelming.  It really didn't show anything interesting, just a bunch of old stuff rendered on a new system, nothing to get excited about.

In general, this E3 hasn't been too special or enlightening for me.  We've got another overpriced console, lots of generic FPSs, and some very pretty graphics.  In my mind the Wii blew away the competition, it's got better graphics and unique gameplay at what'll probably be a good cost.  I probably won'thave to worry about it overheating either.  FFXIII and MGS4 definately caught my eye though.  I'm praying for FFXIII, it seems to have potential, but I'll never even play it if the console stays at its current price.  Same with MGS4.  I'm curious to see what the goal of the game is, and whether or not Snake will even be the main character.  Interesting return of Raiden.

Right now I'm pretty much just waiting for the Wii and PSU (which looks to be pretty damn awesome).  There was a lot of eye candy at E3, but nothing worth the price.  I'll just watch and drool from afar.

BTW, Griffithe, your sig is awesome.  U WON E3!

Just cause its original doesn't mean its good take your own advice "if it ain't broke why fix it" well then why is Nintendo always trying to fix whats so right with there systems?? because they were never great, there always trying to think of some new innovative way to sell there system to make more money is all, its to late for them, they need to update it to what the PS3 and 360 have in there systems then they'll make some money and when the Nintendo systems every actually use the same controller on a future system ill might actually cry, the only real money Nintendo makes is by its few selection of pitiful first party kids games that have been pulling the weight of Nintendo sense N64, no I'm not a Sony fanboy i respect, xbox and Sony equally!, i just pity Nintendo on how it desperately trys to hang on to the kids that are now almost in there 30's with the same shit they released in the 80's and early 90's

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Crapostle said:
Just cause its original doesnt mean its good take your own advice "if it aint broke why fix it" well then why is Nintendo always trying to fix whats so right with there systems?? because they were never great, there always trying to think of some new innovative way to sell there system to make more money is all, its to late for them, they need to update it to what the PS3 and 360 have in there systems then theyll make some money and when the nintendo systems every actually use the same controller on a future system ill might actually cry, the only real money nintendo makes is by its few selection of pitiful first party kids games that hae been pulling the weight of nintendo sense N64, no im not a sony fanboy i respect, xbox and sony equally!, i just pity nintendo on how it despertly trys to hang on to the kids that are now almost in there 30's with the same shit they released in the 80's and early 90's

Even if we had a grammar check on here, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't use it... :griff:

CnC

Ad Oculos
...crapostle? lol. props go to your funny name...

As far as the consoles go I gotta say the Wii is the most interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on it...

But honestly. Is it really disputed that the PS3 has absolutely 0 innovation, here? Its an upgrade.
Thats not really a BAD thing per se (its not like people are complaining the PS2 isn't fun anymore), but it hardly makes the console stand out.

Also, got to give it to the guys at Bungie. At least they have a great sense of humor "Best kept secret ever". Would probably be a fun place to work.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Apostle said:

I'm giving you a week long vacation for incessant trolling/flame baiting. This isn't your blog, if you want to rant and profess your love of Sony and your hatred of everything else do it on LiveJournal. See you on May 17.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The Wii merely has the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Like I said, PS3 was my #1 before E3. But now it's way overpriced and looks like a potential disaster. Sony has been riding the wave of the original Playstation for a little too long now. Remember, PS2 has great games, but it wasn't that great a system, they were already coasting (and if 3's hard to develop for, that's going to hurt the third party gaming, Sony's big strength). Also, I doubt Sony set out to make a system that's going to basically cost people a thousand dollars at launch, so the thing obviously has some development issues. Red flags.

We won't know until we see it, but I'm not going to jump up and down over the prospect of wasting half a G on the new N64. Remember what happened to Nintendo when they thought they were bigger than the market?

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
Like I said, PS3 was my #1 before E3. But now it's way overpriced and looks like a potential disaster. Sony has been riding the wave of the original Playstation for a little too long now. Remember, PS2 has great games, but it wasn't that great a system, they were already coasting (and if 3's hard to develop for, that's going to hurt the third party gaming, Sony's big strength). Also, I doubt Sony set out to make a system that's going to basically cost people a thousand dollars at launch, so the thing obviously has some development issues. Red flags.

Yea, the true test will be the games, no question.

I'm hearing that the PS3 is hard to develop for, despite all the early reports by Sony to the contrary. Apparently the cell processor isn't easy to code for and launch developers were constantly being given revisions to the dev consoles.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Apostle said:
Just cause its original doesn't mean its good take your own advice "if it ain't broke why fix it" well then why is Nintendo always trying to fix whats so right with there systems?? because they were never great, there always trying to think of some new innovative way to sell there system to make more money is all...
I'm not saying Nintendo is in any way godly.  Their last system was un utter let down, but I still have a lot of favorites on the 64.  The 64 controller was probably one of the better controller schemes ever made.  I have not played an FPS on any o the new controllers that handled as well as those on the 64.  

Apostle said:
...its to late for them, they need to update it to what the PS3 and 360 have in there systems then they'll make some money...
You realize you just stated that Nintendo would be better off making money with a design more similar than the PS3 and 360, but in the fist section you stated that Nintendo are just greedy and trying to earn money.  I don't get it, if they're greedy then why didn't they just do this to get more money?  You're also saying that Nintendo would be better off releasing a system that would basically be another clone of the 360 or PS3 (which are almost identical).  Of course, you forget where sony ripped their controller's motion sensitivity from.  It wouldn't be there if not for the Wii.

Apostle said:
...and when the Nintendo systems every actually use the same controller on a future system ill might actually cry, the only real money Nintendo makes is by its few selection of pitiful first party kids games that have been pulling the weight of Nintendo sense N64..

Apostle said:
...no I'm not a Sony fanboy i respect, xbox and Sony equally!
Nobody a ccused you of being a fanboy, but the way that's phrased you sound like you're saying you're just a fanboy of two companies instead of one.

Apostle said:
i just pity Nintendo on how it desperately trys to hang on to the kids that are now almost in there 30's with the same shit they released in the 80's and early 90's
Got any proof for that statement?  I own a Super Nintendo, but I've neglected my Gamecube.  I own about 3-4 games total for it.  I'm gona buy a Wii not because I'm a Nintendo fanboy but because I think the system shows promise.  While we've learned from the Gamecube that these consoles need good support to succeed, The Wii launch titles already blow those from other companies out of the water.  Besides, you've already berrated Nintendo for it's lack of consistency, so how can this be the "same shit they released in the 80's and early 90's."

I have to say that I shared your opinions for quite some time, but after hearing of all the shortcomings of the next gen consoles for what's really nothing more than an aesthetical improvement, I'm hardly convinced they're worth the money.  The Wii may still do poorly in the market, but I guarantee I'll be enjoying playing it more (especially considdering how much I'll pay for it) than I will the same old gameplay on other systems with prettier graphics.

Also, I'd like to second Rhombaad's coment.  This goes for everyone.  Please take the time to at least make your posts readable.  My grammar and spelling is pretty bad but this makes mine look like it came from an old dead white man.  In any case, nobody will respect what you have to say if it's just a splurge of broken English.

Edit: Looks like I wasted my breath. Sorry for the two ton post.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I'm hearing that the PS3 is hard to develop for, despite all the early reports by Sony to the contrary. Apparently the cell processor isn't easy to code for and launch developers were constantly being given revisions to the dev consoles.

Yeah, Sony actually had to ask IBM to help the company that was in charge of coding the pre-processor (program used to process the code before the actual compilation) because they couldn't do it alone.

Top Bottom