E3 2006

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you guys feel free to talk about whatever you want regarding this year's E3.

For example the new Metal Gear for PSP that won't be a card game like the Ac!d series but an action game following the timeline of MGS3 with Big Boss forming Fox Hound, or Square Enix' announcements for several FXIII games on PS3: Final Fantasy XIII & Final Fantasy Versus XIII (from the team behind Kingdom Hearts 2), plus a Final Fantasy Agito XIII for cellphones. Or the fact there will also be a DQ launch title for Nintendo Wii, titled Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors, as well as the promised FF: Crystal Chronicles for NDS and Wii.

And still about the Wii, Times Magazine had a recent article about a "revolutionary" Wario Ware Wii, and confirmed that Zelda: Twilight Princess will be compatible with the Wii controller, allowing you to fish (totally unexpected...) but also to wield your sword and shoot with the bow. And they have a tennis game planned which will be played with the controller too.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
moved my reply from the New mario game thread to this one.

Well I was actually looking at the banners above and saw the news for World of Mana and FF 13... FF13 looks good but I wonder if it will actually be good. I do hope World of mana is better then that "other" wanna be game that was for PS2.

The new mario looks pretty interesting, haven't really played any platform games in a loooooooong time. Damn me for being an MMO whore. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Well I was actually looking at the banners above and saw the news for World of Mana and FF 13... FF13 looks good but I wonder if it will actually be good.

Yeah, I'm a bit unsettled to see they're announcing a spin-off or sequel or whatever simultaneously with the main game, they're really becoming bold with their motives (money). As for Dawn of Mana (the PS2 game is Dawn of Mana, the NDS game is Children of Mana, and the two together are called World of Mana) I'm not sure what to think of it, it could go either way.

What's the game you're expecting the most?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I am very much looking forward to the new Metal Gear PSP game that Aaz has already mentioned.(Even though I do enjoy the Ac!d series!) I am also hoping that some new footage of Metal Gear Solid 4 is shown as well. Also, some new bits about the upcoming DS Castlevania game would be sweet. Its too early for any new info on Silent Hill 5 to be announced so I'll have to wait patiently.
Wow, I just realized something. I'm Konami's bitch!

Edit: My three Japanese pimps!
IGA
1391190_t.jpg

Hideo
1971.jpg

Akira Yamaoka
photo_yamaoka.jpg

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I'm a bit unsettled to see they're announcing a spin-off or sequel or whatever simultaneously with the main game, they're really becoming bold with their motives (money). As for Dawn of Mana (the PS2 game is Dawn of Mana, the NDS game is Children of Mana, and the two together are called World of Mana) I'm not sure what to think of it, it could go either way.

What's the game you're expecting the most?

To tell you the truth, iv been kinda out of the console game circle for awhile. I remember back in the day with the annoucnment of anew FF game would get me all excited but now, its like, ok what ever. All though I am looking forward to the new .Hack//G.U. also there is news going about of an MMO being created from it. I am getting excited about that! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that PSP MGS game sounds great. Too bad Kojima chose the wrong fucking handheld. New SMB looks awesome, even though it goes without saying, since I'm a huge Mario fan. Maybe it will be the final straw that convinces me to get a DS... :carcus:

This year, I'm mostly just looking forward MGS4 and Metroid: Prime 3 footage. I also hope to see more applications of the Rev controller. One of my good friends is going there this year (he works in the industry) so hopefully I can get a BIG SCOOP on one of these subjects.

Jesus... another FF? Excuse me, another THREE FF's? :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
I am also hoping that some new footage of Metal Gear Solid 4 is shown as well.

You've heard of the audio footage released last week I imagine? I'll quote it here in case you didn't:

Snake: War has changed. Our time has ended.
Snake: Our war is over.
Campbell: Since the Manhattan incident, restrictions on military interventions in foreign countries have eased the use of mercenaries... Nowadays the world's wars depend largely on PMCs, private military companies whose business includes supplying these mercenaries.
Campbell: PMCs have become a serious threat to the world.
Snake: The U.S. has exported too much of its military power. Now they're paying the price.
Campbell: In total, these PMCs have enough manpower to rival the U.S. military.
Campbell: Based on our investigation, the five largest PMCs are run by a dummy corporation, which acts a single mother company.
Snake: And the mother company...?
Campbell: Outer Heaven.
Snake: The one world in which soldiers will always have a place.

handsome rakshas said:
Also, some new bits about the upcoming DS Castlevania game would be sweet.

Sure would. :carcus:

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
To tell you the truth, iv been kinda out of the console game circle for awhile. [...] All though I am looking forward to the new .Hack//G.U. also there is news going about of an MMO being created from it.

I see, honestly at the moment there isn't any MMOG that interests me... And I'll pass on any .Hack product. :SK:

Walter said:
Wow, that PSP MGS game sounds great. Too bad Kojima chose the wrong fucking handheld.

Haha yeah, indeed. Don't get your hopes up though, he said it'd be as pretty as on PS2 and everybody knows that can't be. Well, or there'll be 10 minutes long loading times. It'll also include some system where you'll gain new soldiers to grow your own unit, and of course whenever one will die he'll stay dead even if you finish the mission.

Walter said:
New SMB looks awesome, even though it goes without saying, since I'm a huge Mario fan. Maybe it will be the final straw that convinces me to get a DS...

Oh come on, don't tell me you're still hesitating...

Walter said:
This year, I'm mostly just looking forward MGS4 and Metroid: Prime 3 footage. I also hope to see more applications of the Rev controller. One of my good friends is going there this year (he works in the industry) so hopefully I can get a BIG SCOOP on one of these subjects.

I also hope we'll see Metroid Prime 3 footage... Playing MP: Hunters makes me want more of it. :guts: As for the controller, well hopefully we'll see real-time demos of Wario Ware Wii and that new Tennis game... Or maybe Twilight Princess directly?

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I have a PSP the best handheld out there and with 2 more psp MGS games coming out it gets better and better!!! Not to mention power stoen going to the PSP YAHOO!!! on and whats better than that a action RPG starring Zack in Crisis Core

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
HAHAHAHA Sony has copied Nintendo's motion technology. Apparently they demonstrated it with a Starfox game  :schierke:

Man oh man, looks like Liquid's in MGS 4. Don't know if its in cutscenes only yet, but it shows the old Snake putting a gun to his mouth which is damn confusing.

I saw this all on Gamespot's live from E3 press conference feed. They should have it up as an on demand downloadable version pretty soon. Actually it should be up now, but I don't know whats goin on.

Anyhow, go here

Nothing is on right now, butthe live feed is over, and I'm sure the on-demand stream/downloadable version will be up soon.

EDIT: Scratch that its up!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
C. Walken said:
Man oh man, looks like Liquid's in MGS 4. Don't know if its in cutscenes only yet, but it shows the old Snake putting a gun to his mouth which is damn confusing.

Holy mackeral! It's probably only in a flashback scene, though. Though a playable flashack would be sweet. Are you sure it was Liquid? Maybe you confused his man beauty with Raiden. But that wouldn't make sense. Aah! Damn you Hideo!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
I have a PSP the best handheld out there and with 2 more psp MGS games coming out it gets better and better!!!

There's a single MGS game coming out on PSP, and the 2 previous ones were big flops. Also, the PSP isn't the best handheld out there in terms of sales or games, basically it's the best handheld for watching movies in divx. :casca:

C. Walken said:
HAHAHAHA Sony has copied Nintendo's motion technology.

Well, that wasn't exactly unexpected. Their ersatz seems to be lame apparently though, from the impressions I've read after its demonstration (for example it will only recognize 6 directions). Their revolutionary controller design is awesome too:

PS3-controller.jpg

What a shock! A Dual-Shock even! USB powered technology! By now the SNES controllers should be in the public domain anyway. Each of these controllers should cost around $100 retail, and due to the new motion sensing system they won't vibrate anymore.

For those who aren't following the E3 news, the PS3 itself be released for $499 on November 17 in the USA with the 20GB HDD, $599 with the 60GB one.

Hah I'm surprised and not surprised Sony copied Nintendo, I didnt think they were that bold to pull off that move but hey, it is Sony... not the first time...

As to MGS4, Snake is still old and looking rather depressed, Liquid Ocelot is back... and looking weird, Meryl and Naomi as well, and it seems Raiden is the new Ninja...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I didnt think they were that bold to pull off that move but hey, it is Sony... not the first time...

Well, I was expecting something like that honestly, but it's true they're really shameless. I imagine it must be pretty hard for the R&D team working on Sony's controllers to resort to things like that, I wouldn't like to be them.

HawaiianStallion said:
As to MGS4, Snake is still old and looking rather depressed, Liquid Ocelot is back... and looking weird, Meryl and Naomi as well, and it seems Raiden is the new Ninja...

I just saw it and well... Drama is afoot...

The $499 PS3 is worse than the Core Xbox 360. No Memory Stick, SD, or CF slots, no HDMI, and no WiFi. Bleh. The price was already enough to turn me off. I'm not paying that much for a gaming system.

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
handsome rakshas said:
Holy mackeral! It's probably only in a flashback scene, though. Though a playable flashack would be sweet. Are you sure it was Liquid? Maybe you confused his man beauty with Raiden. But that wouldn't make sense. Aah! Damn you Hideo!
Trust me.. snake called him Liquid.. tho it souonded more like leikweed :/

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
C. Walken said:
Trust me.. snake called him Liquid.. tho it souonded more like leikweed :/

You can see it written when the characters are introduced one by one at the end of the trailer anyway. There's "Liquid Snake" and then the "Snake" is replaced by "Ocelot", forming "Liquid Ocelot".

Too be honest a lot of the games showed really didnt do it for me. MGS4 looks like more typical melodramatic MGS with some gameplay thrown in between if the trailer is any real following point. A lot of the games like the Getaway were barely shown as is. I-8 was underwhelming.

Honestly one of the most impressive games they had on display was Heavenly sword as not only were the graphics very very good, but the gameplay looked like a super pumped up God of War with more interesting gameplay.

SaiyajinNoOuji

HawaiianStallion said:
Honestly one of the most impressive games they had on display was Heavenly sword as not only were the graphics very very good, but the gameplay looked like a super pumped up God of War with more interesting gameplay.

Thing with that though, they had that demo at last years E3. I would imagine that it should have been finished by now. Wonder what the hold up is. Also I know it wasnt at this years E3 but I am debating on wether on folding and getting an Xbox 360 and getting rumble roses... im usch a perv! bu the wife doesnt care! :troll:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
For example the new Metal Gear for PSP that won't be a card game like the Ac!d series but an action game following the timeline of MGS3 with Big Boss forming Fox Hound

You mean, my PSP will have a purpose? Wow! No more holding the junk mail Mr. PSP. :void:
MGS4, now wasn't Meryl dead?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Metal Soldier said:
The $499 PS3 is worse than the Core Xbox 360. No Memory Stick, SD, or CF slots, no HDMI, and no WiFi. Bleh.

Haha yeah, that's ridiculous. Hurrah for discrimination, and get ready to shell out $800 to be able to play anything for those that want it (like, buy the $599 pack, another controller, a game, and a memory card/stick/whatever)...

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
After looking at the FF13 game trailor, I am now officially... WHAT THE SHIT WAS THAT.

Looks more entertaining than their usual shit to me. At least there's some action/renewal in this trailer. Besides, that girl looks cool enough, a change from all their faggy girl-looking male heroes. Actually, that FFXIII trailer was the most interesting thing out of the whole evening as far as I'm concerned.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
sony.gif

Pretty much says it all. I pity the Sony fans right now. $599? That's $600. That's almost $700. That's $300 off $1000. That's not including games, controllers, and memory cards? That coupled with the motion sensor BS... they should call it the Sony MuchSac. I think Aaz got it right with PS64, though (I say PS32X =).

Anyway, I put Wii in the lead by default at this point (by a mile if not for the stupid name), especially since Sony, in edition to pricing themselves against automobiles, is lamely trying to ripoff the idea, which not only lends Wii credibility, but makes Sony look like the new Sega, only they can't develop games or anything original (while also going away from their industry strengths, nice). Nintendo's not making the right moves, everyone else is just jumping off a bridge right now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kaz Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment's President, opened SONY's press conference with these words: "Playstation 3 is the most ambitious project we at SONY computer entertainment have ever undertaken... it requires a huge financial investment and commitment from the entire SONY group. But, we must take risks to reap the rewards..." Thus, he launched into a 2 hour conference describing the manner and practice that SONY will undertake to seal its DOOM.

This was honestly one of the most awkward events I've ever witnessed. When SCE's CEO Ken Kutaragi unveiled the "final" playstation 3 controller from out of his jacket pocket, several people in the audience laughed. Being an adept corporate pawn, Kutaragi was spurred to laugh WITH them, at his own fucking product. Way to show confidence in your stolen ideas, Sony. As "Phil" was demonstrating the groundbreaking Wario Ware Twisted technology that's built into "every playstation3 controller," Kutaragi lingered on frame, grinning like a used car salesman, occasionally asking awkward questions like, "Phil, how does it FEEL?"

All this was of course, well after Sony detailed their interface that "users will get [everytime] they switch on the PS3", allowing them to purchase "additional levels," and to show "community features" to be able to see "what's new" or "what's hot." Using a game "SingStar", Sony lauches their own psuedo-iTunes only with it, instead of buying music, you buy music TO KAREOKE TO (just what the world needs...)! Really, it feels to me like SONY's spreading themselves a bit thin.

But, the most hollow moment for me was when Kaz Hirai took the stage again to show how consumers can now purchase 1st-generation Playstation games on the PSP. As he loaded up Ridge Racer, he sung a bit to the title music, and pleaded for some sympathy from the audience with a tired: "Ohh this brings back memories for me..." Right, Kaz.

I feel safe knowing that Nintendo's new console is meant to play games, not take on all world markets.

Top Bottom