Elden Ring (New From Soft Game)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You absorb Blood Echoes (I'm not telling you; I know you know that), which are "the echo of someone's will. Like a ghost is the lingering image of a person, Blood Echoes are the lingering presence of their will that stays long after the person has passed away."

Uh huh, sure. So you're absorbing souls, got it. So much for the blood connection. :shrug:
You know what point I'm making: it's a reused mechanic and doesn't fit the lore. You can try and justify it if you want, but you know it's bullshit.
It didn't ruin the game for me or anything, but it was immediately notable and did strike me as not fitting the lore they were establishing.

Using frost-based or blood-based attacks doesn't mean they should be immune to these effects being used back on them, no? It's like saying I should be immune to gun shots if I use guns in battle.

I wasn't necessarily talking about that myself. There's a million things to nitpick on if one wants to. But I sure as hell do not care to.

Uh huh, sure. So you're absorbing souls, got it. So much for the blood connection. :shrug:
You know what point I'm making: it's a reused mechanic and doesn't fit the lore. You can try and justify it if you want, but you know it's bullshit.

I need to brush up on my BB lore, but why must there be a blood connection to what you absorb anyway? I think of Blood Echoes (despite the name) as closer to the insight mechanic, which happens to be the other currency you spend. As in, you absorb the experiences of your victims and use that to level up. It fits. What I would question though is how the echoes are used as currency in the in-game store. But I won't jump to conclusions about that yet; I'll wait for that inevitable BB playthrough again :guts:

But yeah, I'll acknowledge that From Soft does reuse mechanics without an apparent reason at times, such as fog gates. @Griffith and I spoke about this earlier in this very thread.

I wasn't necessarily talking about that myself. There's a million things to nitpick on if one wants to. But I sure as hell do not care to.

Well I wouldn't go far to say a million things, but sure. Nitpicking is never fun, so you're right not to engage in that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I need to brush up on my BB lore, but why must there be a blood connection to what you absorb anyway? I think of Blood Echoes (despite the name) as closer to the insight mechanic, which happens to be the other currency you spend.

Dude, it's the same as souls, just like runes are simply another name for the same game mechanic. Which is what Goat and I were talking about: how the mechanics perfectly fit the lore in Demon's Souls, then slightly less in Dark Souls, and on and on until Elden Ring where it doesn't matter anymore.

Well I wouldn't go far to say a million things, but sure. Nitpicking is never fun, so you're right not to engage in that.

It's a figure of speech.

Dude, it's the same as souls, just like runes are simply another name for the same game mechanic. Which is what Goat and I were talking about: how the mechanics perfectly fit the lore in Demon's Souls, then slightly less in Dark Souls, and on and on until Elden Ring where it doesn't matter anymore.

I'm just saying that despite all that, it doesn't break the lore either, as far as I can tell.

It's a figure of speech.

Which implies a lot of things to nitpick, which I disagreed with.

I just think the games are more tight and coherent than you give them credit for, my Aazealhish fellow!

Last edited:
Using frost-based or blood-based attacks doesn't mean they should be immune to these effects being used back on them, no? It's like saying I should be immune to gun shots if I use guns in battle.

To support my point, if you go to the Volcano Manor and use flame-based attacks on Lava Slimes, they won't be affected at all. In other words, the game does take into account things like elemental immunities.
I’ll say upfront that this is a dumb personal thing for me to complain about. The point I was making is how randomly chosen some of the status or elemental weakness seem to be applied to certain later game bosses. The two I mentioned are really the only two noteworthy ones that I encountered.

It’s not the immunities that bothered me but the weaknesses. Applying your gun example would be “I take more damage from guns than anything else because I use guns in battle.”

The commander Niall guy uses lighting in addition to frost. So why isn’t he also weak to lightning? Or fire since he dwells in a cold environment? There’s no real reason given. I am anal about it because I respect when a game uses some kind of clever internal logic or system to determine weaknesses. Castlevania and Dragon’s Dogma come to mind. A more obvious one would be how skeletons often take more damage from blunt weapons that smash bones instead of pierce. It’s more frustrating because the game does take obvious immunities into account sometimes.

But at the end of the day all the nonsense I posted above is grasping at straws for complaints. Elden Ring is also its own game with developers much smarter than I. In many cases people that game don’t actually know what they want until it’s been implemented properly by professionals. So hopefully they don’t read my comments and take too much action on it :azan:

Last edited:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah that's where the game is weakest. @Griffith and I talked about that at length when the game came out, but I forgot if it was public or private.

I actually came around on that though and really like the more high fantasy elements and mythological lore; gods and demigods behaving badly, acting like petty mortals, etc. And for being a little different if nothing else, it's the least dark fantasy/horror oriented, though it also has that. I also think it's the best straight storytelling From Soft has done [edit: forgot Sekiro!] by really establishing these characters, actually talking about/focusing on them, having them show up and talk to you, etc. I do think it's an enhancement over having to figure who exactly you were fighting and why in set item descriptions later, "Oh wow, that giant, fire-breathing skeleton I randomly fought was actually a very important person!" :ganishka:

But yeah, I'll acknowledge that From Soft does reuse mechanics without an apparent reason at times, such as fog gates. @Griffith and I spoke about this earlier in this very thread.

I'm just all over this thread even when I'm gone! But yeah, it's basically the same game, right down to the movements and animations, but continuing to grow and evolve. Though, the fog gates are GOLDEN in this one, so it makes sense! They are, uh, gates of golden grace or something... yeah. =)

Last edited:
I got around 24k a few times. My 350 hours in Elden Ring finally payed off......
Screenshot_2023-01-20_at_19-03-39_image.png_PNG-Grafik_1061_182_Pixel.png

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! It is definitely much easier on Desktop. I was playing on phone last night... First time I tried it this morning, 24.2k.

Judo

Midlands finest
Fun game... thx for sharing the link.
I made 17k on my first try (on the phone).
I'll give it a few more tries later.

Top Bottom