Episode 257

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Title: 教圏の宗主 - Suzerain of the Ecclesiastical Authority

05v12.jpg

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Emailed the kanji to my wife! Will be getting translation soon. 8)

Edit: Ex-nay on that one... she says she doesnt understand the old kanji. :'( If it wasnt for her cooking, i would have gotten rid of her! >:(

Wow, for the first time I actually don't know where to begin the speculation. Usually the preview gives away one of the pannels on the first two pages so there's no doubt this is in the beginning of the page.

I guess the Kushan haven't decided to make their presence felt just yet.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, for starters, it opens up the possibility that the preview line is something said at the ball rather than the scene of the duel.

P.S. What's for dinner, Saiya?

SaiyajinNoOuji

"Griffith No More!" said:
P.S. What's for dinner, Saiya?
Actaully going to a CoCo's Curry... just think fast food curry... Mmmmm tasty chicken cutlet with curry and cheese with NAN!!!!!! :eek:

back on topic. I wonder if this is the part that people will notice Guts and Serpico duking it out.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
きょうけんのそうしゅ

Leader of the religious world? I'm probably missing a particular parallel of some sort here...宗主(そうしゅ)is some sort of feudal European religious leader, and 教圏(きょうけん)is the "religious sphere," methinks.

BiQ_

" ... "
The Pope?

But, it seems to me to be the Father Vandymion. Well, wasn't he (and the family) one of the most prominent supporters of Holy See? This surely yields him a considerable influence in the Holy See.

puella

Berserk forever
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Edit: Ex-nay on that one... she says she doesnt understand the old kanji. :'( If it wasnt for her cooking, i would have gotten rid of her! >:(

Are they old kanji? Well, not to me.^^;
I'd translate it "Suzerain of the ecclesiastical authority".
He's Mr.Vandimion,definitely.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Magnifico's going to get his ass verbally kicked by daddy Vandimion...

Then when he'll start reprimanding Farnese, Serpico will come running at them, bloodied all over, yelling for them to run to the chopper. Then Guts will apppear, roaring with all his might, and at the same time a feline pishacha will jump out of a window and eat a noble. 8)

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
Looks like Magnifico's going to get his ass verbally kicked by daddy Vandimion...

Then when he'll start reprimanding Farnese, Serpico will come running at them, bloodied all over, yelling for them to run to the chopper. Then Guts will apppear, roaring with all his might, and at the same time a feline pishacha will jump out of a window and eat a noble. 8)
I'm intrigued by your story, where may I subscribe to your newsletter? 8)

My take is that daddy's presence has to do with asking the rise of forces against the Kushans - asking the nobles and declaring that the army will be under Holy See's command.

SaiyajinNoOuji

xechnao said:
My take is that daddy's presence has to do with asking the rise of forces against the Kushans - asking the nobles and declaring that the army will be under Holy See's command.
Now that I could understand! I think Xech may be onto something! 8)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, for starters, it opens up the possibility that the preview line is something said at the ball rather than the scene of the duel.

Interesting thought, and it would sure make sense. That line however doesn't really fit Vandimion's character and way to speak, it's more like the kind of thing Guts would say.

Nomad said:
A good reason to be waken up...

There's no such thing as a good reason to be waken up.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I'm intrigued by your story, where may I subscribe to your newsletter?

Just send a blank email to younganimal@gmail.com. ;)

xechnao said:

Well, the various armies are already gathered around Vritannis and should be ready; I'm not sure the soldiers would really need any order from the nobles to defend against the Kushans. They're also supposed to have an alliance (not feudalist relations), so I think the high nobles and experienced generals wouldn't like it much if they were to receive military orders from the Holy See...

Anyway, the Kushans seem to be planning a stealthy attack using familiars, so I doubt Vandimion to be aware of the danger yet. I think they'll realize the situation during this episode or the next, with either Guts' band interfering with the ball, or the pishacha that killed the guards attacking the nobles.

Aazealh said:
Well, the various armies are already gathered around Vritannis and should be ready; I'm not sure the soldiers would really need any order from the nobles to defend against the Kushans. They're also supposed to have an alliance (not feudalist relations), so I think the high nobles and experienced generals wouldn't like it much if they were to receive military orders from the Holy See...

Anyway, the Kushans seem to be planning a stealthy attack using familiars, so I doubt Vandimion to be aware of the danger yet. I think they'll realize the situation during this episode or the next, with either Guts' band interfering with the ball, or the pishacha that killed the guards attacking the nobles.

Yes, I wasn't talking about the immediate threat, but the Kushan - Midland issue, as seen discussed a couple of epsiodes before.
Obviously the surprise attack will interfere with this. But they still don't know about it, so it's pretty normal to assume that they act as if they didn't.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Since Vandimion is such a popular and influential guy, doesn't it make more sense for him to be at the ball to give a dramatic pre-war speech?  Someone of his power wouldn't just waltz into a ball (pun intended) to discuss tactics and war preparations with generals.

What would be the function of Vandemion declaring that all the armies are under the Holy See's order? Seems redundant, it being called the "Holy See Alliance," not to mention just bad diplomacy. "For those who forgot, don't forget YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR THE CHURCH."

Anyway, I do hope we see a few noble deaths (no pun intended) at the jaws of a Panishka or two... hundred.

Walter said:
What would be the function of Vandimion declaring that all the armies are under the Holy See's order?  Seems redundant, it being called the "Holy See Alliance," not to mention just bad diplomacy.  "For those who forgot, don't forget YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR THE CHURCH."

Just another paragraph of his diplomatic speech. We have been on the same boat, just a different cabin.

Walter said:
Anyway, I do hope we see a few noble deaths (no pun intended) at the jaws of a Panishka or two... hundred.

Perhaps Vadiminion himself will be the target?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
Yes, I wasn't talking about the immediate threat, but the Kushan - Midland issue, as seen discussed a couple of epsiodes before.

Well in that case, since the armies are already there, I don't think that kind of "request" is needed... Forces have already risen against the Kushan empire, and the ball is actually to cheer up the troops before they get to confront the Kushans (though the "troops" invited seem to be exclusively composed of nobles).

xechnao said:
Obviously the surprise attack will interfere with this. But they still don't know about it, so it's pretty normal to assume that they act as if they didn't.

Yup.

Walter said:
Since Vandimion is such a popular and influential guy, doesn't it make more sense for him to be at the ball to give a dramatic pre-war speech? Someone of his power wouldn't just waltz into a ball (pun intended) to discuss tactics and war preparations with generals.

Yeah, and he simply wouldn't have any legitimacy in doing that anyway, he's not a Holy See leader himself (while having strong relations with them, he's still more into financial stuff), and certainly doesn't qualify as far as military matters go.

Walter said:
What would be the function of Vandimion declaring that all the armies are under the Holy See's order? Seems redundant, it being called the "Holy See Alliance," not to mention just bad diplomacy.

Yeah, definitely.

Walter said:

Yeah, right.
lol.gif

Akin

MOOO!!!
*fades in from the shadows*

This picture just screams "edit me" ;D (maybe its the text boxes)

So this would end up in volume 30? Hrm... is Miura going away from the duel for a minute to show whats going on in the ballroom or.... ???

Also: It looks like the English translation of the special preview only happens when the title is short :'(

This makes me wonder if/when Guts's band will finally leave for elfhelm... I've been hoping that volume 29 would end with Guts and Family getting back together, stealing a boat, and leaving just as the city got sacked, with Roderick somehow ending up on board ... but then again, I didn't expect a Duel... hrm.... hopefully they'll be on the boat by the end of volume 30?

puella said:
Lets not make up English words ok? ;P All kidding aside, I guess this is the result of me avoiding religion...

hanafubuku

The deal with Magnifico worked out afterall
Griffith is going to crash the party...

And a 5-way battle will ensue - Nobles vs Kushan vs Griffith vs Serpico vs Guts for an all-mighty blood fest.  To commorate the event, many pages will detour from the standard black and white to include tones of red.

S

Some Guy

I'm sure the duel's conclusion will comprise the first 1/2 or 1/3 of the episode and then switch focus on Vandimion.Mr. Vandimion might be discussing the future wedding preparations for Farnese or he might be just catching wind of the killings by the familiars and may be about to give a notice for the troops to be on full alert.

One things for sure is that Mr. Vandimion doesn't look very happy in that panel

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Tell Me Why said:
Less balls, more Guts vs. Serpico!
[comedy gold]
- Vandimion must have a lot of BALLS... to waltz in like that.
- The Kushans are sure going to have a BALL invading Vritannis.
- I hope Guts doesn't smash the nobles' BALL.
[/comedy gold]

Thanks, I'm here all week.

Top Bottom