Episode 265

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
CnC said:
well the alligator and elephant familiars don't.  And neither do the priests (the topic of the conversation) that control the familiars.

That's tue, but I doubt he'd need to controlt he priests directly eiher. It's true for the crocs and the elephants through. B ut the Makara, daka and pishacha do. Besidedes, Ganishka's face with those teeths seems tob e a symbol or soemthign fo the kushan empire (remember the boat, among other things)...

You seem to imply that the makara was riding the gators, but in fact all its doing is crushing all that is in it's way.  Sorry if I missed the intricate subtleties of your humor.

*buries my face in my hands* *sigh* okay, I give up, then. Obiviously you didn't get it, but I hinted at that little picture Miura drew in the beginning (at the summary) of vol 28...

The mention of Miura being ill (which he isn't as far as we know) raises an even more disturbing thought; what if Miura died before finishing Berserk?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Swordsman in Sable said:
I always thought Studio Gaga and the others that help him did more. Much more.

Well, as far as I know Studio GAGA is just him and his 4 assistants (plus the editor)... By definition the assistants merely assist him while he does most of the job, I think it's normal. And it's usually not too hard to see what they work on, like some random nobles' faces in recent episodes. It's also not a secret that mangaka have very tight schedules in general, that's why they're single at 40 yo.

Swordsman in Sable said:
the less serious tone, to the point that the group regards monster slaying as a job, and jokes are now constant.

I don't think the tone is really less "serious", the mood is lighter than in past volumes but it's for a reason, just like the group's confidence in fighting monsters comes from experience, it didn't appear out of nowhere. Sure, there have been more jokes recently (not that there weren't any before), but it usually simply depends on the situation (were there many jokes in this episode?).

Vetrox said:
I'm kinda worried about Guts flunkies... will they coupe with so much Daka-cavalry?

I think they'll coupe (French for "cut, slash") them, yeah. :carcus: I'm not worried about them, they've coped with similiar situations before.

Vetrox said:
Not very exciting fights (would have like Guts to have SOME trouble with the Daka)

It would seem a little odd for someone able to take on apostles to have trouble with Daka, IMO.

Dark Wanderer said:
I'm wondering why they resemble him a bit thorugh. Perhaps it's because that the kushan magicans ha ssome of Ganishka's essence in them. Or perhaps they're all basically Ganishka's offspring and therefore bears a resemblence to him.

Well, Ganishka's magic is used to create them. The casters supervising their creation all get their power from Ganishka, and he probably came up with the strange device used to do it, so that could play a role. As for Ganishka inseminating all the women himself, that's a rather interesting hypothesis (not sure you meant that though), even if I doubt it's the case based on the information (or lack of) we currently have about it. It's been speculated several times that the Daka could resemble Ganishka's apostle form in a way (I think I was the first to say so actually :badbone:), we'll see how it turns out eventually (assuming it's not just the fog of course).

Dark Wanderer said:
Still, the fact that thye're controleld by the kushan magicans/spellcasters could mean that something has to be added or edited in the info on them on the Character page.

Much like CnC, I don't believe that's necessary.

Dark Wanderer said:
it looks like they're rather mindless without some magicans nearby (or possibly the prestence of Ganishka himself; it's after all not too far-fetched to think that he himself is a strong enough magican to control a whole army of them whereas it usually takes a group of his "lesser" magicans to control a group).

Yes, of course I think we should assume that Ganishka is able to control a large portion of Pishacha/Daka/etc by himself. The Kushan casters are merely relaying and using his power by inhaling his fog, so as far as I'm concerned they're all his pawns.

Dark Wanderer said:
BTW, this is strictly speaking not the first time we've seen Ganishka's minions riding something. There's alo the pishacha and Makara in the beginning of vol 28 :p

Here's what Dark Wanderer refers to, in case some people have trouble with the reference:

Makara.jpg

Dark Wanderer said:
It's true for the crocs and the elephants through. B ut the Makara, daka and pishacha do. Besidedes, Ganishka's face with those teeths seems tob e a symbol or soemthign fo the kushan empire (remember the boat, among other things)...

Keyboard's broken? :serpico: But yeah, the same Ganishka-like figure is often represented on Kushan stuff, from Daiba's ship to Ganishka's throne in Wyndham. Based on this, I suspect he might have big ears while in his apostle form. :chomp:

And it's indeed also recurrent with the familiars, the reason the crocodiles and elephants don't sport these teeth is probably because it wouldn't be very effective (both for the beasts in the story and as far as character design goes).

jepn30 said:
The mention of Miura being ill (which he isn't as far as we know) raises an even more disturbing thought; what if Miura died before finishing Berserk?

A disturbing thought that has been raised 500 times already, and for which Proj2501 even made a thread. So I'd appreciate it if we didn't have to go over it again.

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
Well, Ganishka's magic is used to create them. The casters supervising their creation all get their power from Ganishka, and he probably came up with the strange device used to do it, so that could play a role..

That could be it, thorugh we have neither seen nor herd much of this. Raksha's explaination of wha tthe Daka are was not very specific; just explained in general what they are. I'd like our litte witch to explain what they are at some point, as she's done so far anyway. Of course, since the Daka seems to have proven to be rather mindless without any casters or Ganishka nearby, such an explainaton may never pop up as they'll just assisocate them with the pishacha (being of the "same kind").

As for Ganishka inseminating all the women himself, that's a rather interesting hypothesis (not sure you meant that though), even if I doubt it's the case based on the information (or lack of) we currently have about it.

I concur. Thrugh it is nonetheless a possibility, but alas, as you say also here your information's rather limited. Still, it could explain the teeth. Perhaps their skin too, as black/dark skin is a dominant colour when a kid's made (of course, this doens't necressarilly mean that Ganishka himself is involited, it might just means that the women in question were raped by the kushans).

It's been speculated several times that the Daka could resemble Ganishka's apostle form in a way (I think I was the first to say so actually :badbone:), we'll see how it turns out eventually (assuming it's not just the fog of course).

Could be that too. I'd sure like to know in any even... :schierke:<- Enlight us, please!

Much like CnC, I don't believe that's necessary.

Motion turned down then :)

Yes, of course I think we should assume that Ganishka is able to control a large portion of Pishacha/Daka/etc by himself. The Kushan casters are merely relaying and using his power by inhaling his fog, so as far as I'm concerned they're all his pawns..

*nods* The battle in vol 27 seems to be proof (more or less) that he can control a large amount of the carious "etc"'s you mentioned. But as for the normal casters.. Well, evidence up until now would suggest it's easiest for them to control Daka, as only one seems to be needed for the task, while a group seems to be needed for the various pishacha (perhaps because that the daka may be more human than the pishacha and thus easier to control...?). So comapred to Ganishka, they're rather weak, merely pawns as far as we know. Some, like Daiba, could be a bit different through.

Here's what Dark Wanderer refers to, in case some people have trouble with the reference:

Makara.jpg

That's it, yes. I hoped to crack a smile or two with that refeence ;). The pic was probably drawn to crack a smile or two, but it's also true that besides the recent episode, it's a pic we see where one of Ganishka's minions ride another :).

Keyboard's broken? :serpico:..

No, but if I writte in a hurry and without cheking, thet's the result. If we ever meet in the chat, I daresy say you'd see a few real-time examples there. But yesterday, I was too tired to spell-check propertly -_-. But as for the keyboard, it's fine and I have two back-ups in case this would break somehow :D.

But yeah, the same Ganishka-like figure is often represented on Kushan stuff, from Daiba's ship to Ganishka's throne in Wyndham. Based on this, I suspect he might have big ears while in his apostle form. :chomp:

Heh, another thing to look forward to: The day we see Ganishka's apostle form!! ^_^.

And it's indeed also recurrent with the familiars, the reason the crocodiles and elephants don't sport these teeth is probably because it wouldn't be very effective (both for the beasts in the story and as far as character design goes).

*nods* The crocs, as far as that matter goes, have effective enough jaws without more teeth. and as for the elephants... Well, can't think of an apparent reason myself there expect those you just mentioned :).

A disturbing thought that has been raised 500 times already, and for which Proj2501 even made a thread. So I'd appreciate it if we didn't have to go over it again.

For myself, as far as that subject goes, I say "Let's hope it won't happen" and that's it. Back to the current topic...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
That could be it, thorugh we have neither seen nor herd much of this.
Dark Wanderer said:
Thrugh it is nonetheless a possibility, but alas, as you say also here your information's rather limited. Still, it could explain the teeth.

Some familiars also feature "Ganishkan" teeth though, that hints more at Ganishka's magic being responsible for their condition (especially since they return to normal once dead) than him inseminating the girls or any other theory, unless he inseminates tigers and (sperm) whales too. :troll: Of course, it could always be more complicated than that, we'll have to wait & see what Miura decided, as usual.

Dark Wanderer said:
Well, evidence up until now would suggest it's easiest for them to control Daka, as only one seems to be needed for the task, while a group seems to be needed for the various pishacha (perhaps because that the daka may be more human than the pishacha and thus easier to control...?)

Familiars require a spirit to be placed (and kept?) within an animal, while Daka are "born" like they are and apparently don't need this treatment. Same thing with the transformation the beasts undergo, the Daka obviously don't need it. Animals also have some individual will, while the Daka have completely vacant eyes and seem to be mindless. That could play a role. Also, a good amount of Daka were already dead when Guts shot that caster, maybe there were others present that retreated after the troops they controlled died. Would Schierke still be able to spot them if this was the case? Hard to say.

Dark Wanderer said:
Some, like Daiba, could be a bit different through.

He's a lieutenant of Ganishka apparently, so he's bound to have more power/authority/knowledge/independency.

Dark Wanderer said:
No, but if I writte in a hurry and without cheking, thet's the result. [...] But yesterday, I was too tired to spell-check propertly -_-.

Well, there's a spell checking tool integrated into the board, so it shouldn't be too hard to do even if you don't feel like spell checking yourself.

Dark Wanderer said:
The crocs, as far as that matter goes, have effective enough jaws without more teeth.

Yeah, Ganishkan teeth would be a lot less effective actually.

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
Some familiars also feature "Ganishkan" teeth though, that hints more at Ganishka's magic being responsible for their condition (especially since they return to normal once dead) than him inseminating the girls or any other theory, unless he inseminates tigers and (sperm) whales too. :troll:

:eek:! Now you succeeded in putting some WEIRD images in my head! -_-. but I hope this is not the case. Still, it's a vaild argument for the fact that the teeth doesn't necressarily mean they're Ganishka's offspring.

Of course, it could always be more complicated than that, we'll have to wait & see what Miura decided, as usual.

As ususally. As with so many other things in the story :D.

Familiars require a spirit to be placed (and kept?) within an animal, while Daka are "born" like they are and apparently don't need this treatment. Same thing with the transformation the beasts undergo, the Daka obviously don't need it. Animals also have some individual will, while the Daka have completely vacant eyes and seem to be mindless. That could play a role.

*nods* right, so in short: they're less independent than the animals are. Assumed that this theory is the case, at least...

Also, a good amount of Daka were already dead when Guts shot that caster, maybe there were others present that retreated after the troops they controlled died. Would Schierke still be able to spot them if this was the case? Hard to say.

Oh, right, it didn't cross my mind that there might have been others around which may have retreated rather than stay and get slaughtered after watching the group's fightning power. Or perhaps there was more magicans, but further away who decided that only daka would be enoguh to dela with them. Thus, the current Makara and other forces could be their counter-move towards Gut's group in particular; if they 8the group) have caught the attention of the kushans, they may have realized that drastic means is needed to deal with Gut's group in particular.

He's a lieutenant of Ganishka apparently, so he's bound to have more power/authority/knowledge/independency.

*nods* That's to be expected...

Well, there's a spell checking tool integrated into the board, so it shouldn't be too hard to do even if you don't feel like spell checking yourself.

Oh, right, I totally forgot that fuction! ^^;;;. In that case, next time I have had a serious lack of sleep, I'll use it :).

If I remember correctly, crocodile jaws are among the strongest jaws in the world, so if they got Ganishkan teeth, they would only get in the way (break, slow the bite, etc), so battle-wise, it's not a good move to give them such teeth. The other familairs are probably an other matter through...

Aazealh said:

the tiger pichacha have Ganishikan teeth.. Tought the animal in its original state has quite.. efective? teeth.. :schierke:

i thinks its a rather visual effect than an "improvement" to the poor things

Maybe Miura is just making a statement...
Things with ugly crooked and jagged teeth are scary. :puck: (A normal croc will just scare some People, but one with a scary face + ability to walk on its hind legs + use human weapons might freeze people in their tracks. Thats why we can observe most humans who go against the creatures being torn to shreds without even lifting a finger.
I bet its just a giant campaign to sponsor braces :schierke: that is.. unless you wanna look like Ganishka :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
the tiger pichacha have Ganishikan teeth.. Tought the animal in its original state has quite.. efective? teeth.. :schierke:

Their jaw doesn't work like crocodile jaws. While with the tigers these huge teeth still work the way Miura designed them, it wouldn't be the case with crocs because of the way their jaw is. I'm not going to start a biology class so look it up on some specialized site if you want more info.

fuxberg said:
i thinks its a rather visual effect than an "improvement" to the poor things

I think it's both, but obviously the point is to have them look like monsters (and not just normal tigers) and "resemble" Ganishka a bit.

Ramen4ever said:
Thats why we can observe most humans who go against the creatures being torn to shreds without even lifting a finger.

Well, the monsters are also very fast and strong, that helps... There's more to them than just looking scary. :schierke:

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
Well, the monsters are also very fast and strong, that helps... There's more to them than just looking scary. :schierke:

I'm not too sure. Fear can be a powerful factor too; if your opponent is too shocked/paraplysed by fear when attacked, he's dead meat unless he recovers quicker than you strike. And as far as we've sene in the world of berserk, people are generally rather scared of the supernatural beings we've encountered so far. But of course they can muster the courage to fight them like the villagers of the Inoku village against the trolls and more recently Roderick against the tigers...'

But of course you're right too; if the familiars of Ganishka weren't also fast or strong, they'd be much less feared...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
I'm not too sure.
Dark Wanderer said:
But of course you're right too; if the familiars of Ganishka weren't also fast or strong, they'd be much less feared...

So, you're not too sure but I'm right? Better decide yourself. They're very powerful troops overall, faster and stronger than normal people (like Vritannis' guards), so like I said there's more to them than just looking scary... Or do you disagree with that? If not, I don't see the point of your post.

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
So, you're not too sure but I'm right? Better decide yourself. They're very powerful troops overall, faster and stronger than normal people (like Vritannis' guards), so like I said there's more to them than just looking scary... Or do you disagree with that? If not, I don't see the point of your post.

Well, it did seem to me like you underestiamted the factor of fear :p. Faster? The tigers and daka, probably. Perhaps not the crocs through. Stronger? That's anyone's guess. skilled thorugh? I don't know, expect for the Daka. Speaking for myself, I think that they wouldn't make even half of the damage they do now without the benefit of being scary, as it often seems to scare prople from even trying to do anything about them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
Well, it did seem to me like you underestiamted the factor of fear :p.

What made you think so in my post, exactly? I don't see anything that would imply this.

Dark Wanderer said:
Faster? The tigers and daka, probably. Perhaps not the crocs through. Stronger? That's anyone's guess.

The crocodiles can also be faster, they naturally can as a matter of fact (just look at the panels where they lunge and cut people in half). As for anyone's guess at them being stronger? Are you joking? Or maybe you don't pay attention when reading the episodes? Even so... Crocodiles, tigers, elephant, they all have more strength than humans without being familiars. Remember the croc that broke through the door of the cabin on the beach? Or the elephants breaking stone statues effortlessly in Wyndham? The tigers tearing people's heads off like it's nothing? They're stronger, no doubt.

Dark Wanderer said:
Speaking for myself, I think that they wouldn't make even half of the damage they do now without the benefit of being scary

Well that's a rather bold assumption, really. What hints at this? What makes you think so basically? You talked about Roderick trying to fight a tiger, what was the result? He would be dead without Farnese. There's no doubt that the whole setting impresses their opponents and makes victory easier because they're not really fighting back (chaos, etc), but it seems presumptuous to me to assert that they wouldn't be half as strong without "looking scary"... These beasts are already fearsome in their natural state, being easily able to kill humans (have you ever seen a real tiger or crocodile?). And they're made into magical monsters mostly immune to conventional weapons (either silver is needed or they have to be fatally wounded), with probably more physical strength too. Do you think it's the same for apostles by the way? They're only strong because they're scary?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I have to agree with Aaz here. While they might look scary, I doubt its the intention of Ganishka himself to "paralyze" the people/soldiers with fear in order to overcome them. It's their enhanced strength (even their normal strength would be enough against an average human soldier) and speed. Otherwise, since crocs and tigers are scary by themselves, why transform them?

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
What made you think so in my post, exactly? I don't see anything that would imply this.

The "There's more to them than just looking scary"-part...

The crocodiles can also be faster, they naturally can as a matter of fact (just look at the panels where they lunge and cut people in half). As for anyone's guess at them being stronger? Are you joking? Or maybe you don't pay attention when reading the episodes? Even so... Crocodiles, tigers, elephant, they all have more strength than humans without being familiars. Remember the croc that broke through the door of the cabin on the beach? Or the elephants breaking stone statues effortlessly in Wyndham? The tigers tearing people's heads off like it's nothing? They're stronger, no doubt.

Ookay, not much argumentation from me this point. Through I can perhaps still say that at elast the crocs aren'too skiled at using their tools :p

Well that's a rather bold assumption, really. What hints at this? What makes you think so basically?

The fact that msot people when confronted by a familair or Daka, seem to pretty much not even try to fight back but either cover or run back in fear

You talked about Roderick trying to fight a tiger, what was the result?
He would be dead without Farnese.

I used that as an example, yes, but I never said it was a good idea for most people to try and fight them alone, I just pointed out that few seem to muster enough courage to even try. But If a group of people attacking a troll can defeat it, then there's no reason for why a group of soldiers shuldn't be able to handle a familiar...

There's no doubt that the whole setting impresses their opponents and makes victory easier because they're not really fighting back (chaos, etc), but it seems presumptuous to me to assert that they wouldn't be half as strong without "looking scary"... These beasts are already fearsome in their natural state, being easily able to kill humans (have you ever seen a real tiger or crocodile?).

Still, their natural power can also be said to be part of thier scaryness (besides, as you asked me, I wonder how many of the nobles or fot soldiers or even citizens that has seen crocs or tigers for real, so this could also add up to their scaryness). But, yes, you have a bit of a point; if they could not fight or kill at all, they woulsn't be as scary, but fear often makes the thing more fearsome than the thign really is, so... thing is, as I've said, that few ever rally try to fight them. and for the record: Yep, I've seen tigers and crocs for real. Even touched one of the alter mentioned ones...

And they're made into magical monsters mostly immune to conventional weapons (either silver is needed or they have to be fatally wounded), with probably more physical strength too.

Now, THIS culd be soemthign I missed,t hrough. I was udner th eimpressiont hat they were more sensentive to silver, yes, but immune to conventional weapons? The nobles managed to slay them, althrough thye were by then held by Schierke's magic, so they're hardly immune (perhaps a bit more difficult to slow down through).

you think it's the same for apostles by the way? They're only strong because they're scary?

Of course not! but apostles are also on a whole different level than Ganishka's creatures, expect the Makara; apostles regenerate, can attach fallen body parts, are often big as hell (meaning a normal sword won't do you much good) and have many uniquite abilties; tough skin (Locus, Bolkoff, Grunbeld), flying (Roshinu) and so on... That's a whole differnet level to talk on, IMHO.

Rhombaad said:
I have to agree with Aaz here. While they might look scary, I doubt its the intention of Ganishka himself to "paralyze" the people/soldiers with fear in order to overcome them. It's their enhanced strength (even their normal strength would be enough against an average human soldier) and speed. Otherwise, since crocs and tigers are scary by themselves, why transform them?

My point is, I think fear and chaos of them or caused by them does at least half of their work But of course, if they were't also effective killers, there would be enither as much chaos nor fear present.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Dark Wanderer said:
My point is, I think fear and chaos of them or caused by them does at least half of their work But of course, if they were't also effective killers, there would be enither as much chaos nor fear present.

So you're saying if we took away the fear and, let's say, had a bunch of happy looking fuzzy bears crashing through windows and tearing the heads off of nobles, they'd be half as effective?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
The "There's more to them than just looking scary"-part...

Yeah, and there's more to them than just looking scary indeed, right? How does it imply that fear doesn't play a role? It doesn't. So in short this discussion is pointless.

Dark Wanderer said:
I can perhaps still say that at elast the crocs aren'too skiled at using their tools :p

Well they don't seem to have trouble throwing their spears, so I don't see why you're saying that. They throw them with strength and accuracy, what else do you need?

Dark Wanderer said:
The fact that msot people when confronted by a familair or Daka, seem to pretty much not even try to fight back but either cover or run back in fear

That's not answering my question, not in a satisfying way at least. And there's a reason as to why they don't try to fight back: because they'd die.

Dark Wanderer said:
I used that as an example, yes, but I never said it was a good idea for most people to try and fight them alone, I just pointed out that few seem to muster enough courage to even try.

So you used an example proving your statement wrong. Even if they have the courage to try, they fail. What else to say?

Dark Wanderer said:
But If a group of people attacking a troll can defeat it, then there's no reason for why a group of soldiers shuldn't be able to handle a familiar...

Yeah, a large enough group. And what's the point again? That 50 soldiers against 1 familiar could kill it? Very pertinent. And it's not the case here, familiars are in large enough numbers to deal with Vritannis' guards without any problem, whether they fight back or not. If it was just a single familiar against all the guards, do you think they'd run away? Your point really seems dubious to me because it's honestly rather obvious that familiars and Daka are more powerful troops than the average soldier.

Dark Wanderer said:
Still, their natural power can also be said to be part of thier scaryness

Great way to turn the point upside down. Their strength makes them scary, so being scary is half their strength.

Dark Wanderer said:
The nobles managed to slay them, althrough thye were by then held by Schierke's magic, so they're hardly immune (perhaps a bit more difficult to slow down through).

What, you didn't read what I wrote? They need to be heavily wounded or hit in a vital spot, otherwise normal weapons don't have much effect. The nobles ganged up and mangled them while they were paralyzed, but stabbing one like Roderick did is useless. They're of course not completely immune, which is why I didn't say so. In the end conventional weapons still aren't as effective on them as they'd be on normal people.

Dark Wanderer said:

So, the chaos and ambient terror facilitate the city's annihilation? Who disagreed with that? Nobody as far as I know; it goes without saying. If that's really just what you wanted to say, these 2 lines would have been enough... It doesn't change the fact that the familiars and Daka are fearsome for a good reason: because they're supernatural monsters and real killing machines. To say that "without the benefit of being scary" they wouldn't do half the damage they're doing right now is really just a baseless assumption, doubly irrelevant since doing a lot of "damage" is mainly what makes them scary. That gets me back to what I said at the beginning of this post: that this discussion (argument?) has no reason to be.

PS: Here's a live re-creation of the events in Vritannis.

Top Bottom