Episode 305

If there's an Hydra, there must be a Dragon, so we will finaly see Godo's dream realized and if the Dragonslayer honours it's name (I mean a real dragon, Grunbeld was more like a dragonshaped rock to me).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
For those pining for the good ol' days, that hydra looks like it's straight out of volume 1, in a good way! :guts:

KazigluBey said:
Alright I'll refresh my memory.

Cool, I can't keep half this shit straight unless I do that every once in a while. I hope it gives some more purpose to all this, so it doesn't seem arbitrary or like a raw deal.

KazigluBey said:
They might not be part of ours but to me seeing something new is more appealing than something I'm used to.

Well, we're still getting the best of both worlds, we just saw a slew of new Apostles, and the classic creatures are Miura's own take. Even those unicorns are realistic and down to earth looking, especially when they're being eaten alive. =)

KazigluBey said:
They only have to be part of the collective consciousness of the humans in the Berserk world in order to have legitimacy. That's one of the perks of being a storyteller, you can set the rules.

Yeah, but I think it's important they be part of ours as well, I'm reluctant to say it's a bit metafictional, but... anyway, the problem with using original Miura creatures that way is they would reside in the same place in our minds as Apostles, the God Hand, and Skull Knight. Even though in the story they'd be identified as part of their folklore, it wouldn't be the same as it is being from our own folklore as well, so that we identify with it from that deeper well of knowlege, rather than it falling under the umbrella of another kind of Miura creature.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
宮本 グリフィス said:
For those pining for the good ol' days, that hydra looks like it's straight out of volume 1, in a good way! :guts:

No kidding, I love Miura's take on it. Seeing those farmers running away, all I could think of was the chorus of Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" playing in the background. Can't wait to see what else pops up in the next episode.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Rhombaad said:
No kidding, I love Miura's take on it. Seeing those farmers running away, all I could think of was the chorus of Iron Maiden's "Run for the Hills" playing in the background. Can't wait to see what else pops up in the next episode.

You mean "Run to the hills". ;)

I don't see a break for Guts anytime soon. Miura is entirely throwing "the world" against Guts. The only thing left as this point and for Griffith to turn the kingdom people against him. Thats just off the top of my head.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Amazing episode!

Stop complaining about the unicorns already. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The flood gates have opened for all sorts of mythological creatures. I can't believe anyone would complain about this. Don't you trust Miura enough at this point? You stuck it out after an annoying elf like Puck was introduced in volume one, so whats the problem with some unicorns getting chased around by a hydra? Like Walter said it's not like the unicorns are going to be the focus of the next few chapters.

They might not be part of ours but to me seeing something new is more appealing than something I'm used to. They only have to be part of the collective consciousness of the humans in the Berserk world in order to have legitimacy. That's one of the perks of being a storyteller, you can set the rules.

Wow. It's not like he's using these creatures out of lack of creativity. He still is setting the rules, and right now the rule is unicorns along with what I'm guessing will be countless of other creatures that we know and recognize have appeared since the worlds merged. I think this is awesome, and it's just a taste of all the awesomeness that is to come. There is so much Miura could do at this point. And just let me say this too, the unicorns as they are look fucking great. Miura draws them so beautifully and realistic. Like it was said before, they are not jumping over rainbows or anything. This is the only way unicorns could ever work in a story and be cool.

NightCrawler said:
Yes, it's a problem on my end, i agree that i can't be objective when magic and generic fantasy is involved. I have complained before about the overuse of those themes in Berserk. I prefer stuff more grounded in reality. Like the chapter of lost children. It's still dark fantasy, but more in a Robert E. Howard vein.
The lighter themes (kiddie stuff) in Berserk used to piss me off. But now i just shrug it off. Isidro is just the same character since... ever!
So in conclusion, i can't really connect with the story when there's ALOT of fantasy involved. It does nothing for me, nor in fights, whenever. I'm not that big of a nerd or fanboy. I believe that fantasy produces a bigger impact, and it's more ominous, when it's used in moderation, like we've seen so effectively in the past.

Come on man, really? Personally I don't know much about mythology, I never really got into it. Clash of the Titans was the closest I ever came to having any interest in it. So am I a fanboy or nerd for loving the direction Berserk is taking? I don't think so. I'm not going to go and buy a book on mythological creatures now, I just get what Miura is doing.

And i can answer this question...

The witch had some evolution but i still can't take that character serious, she's so out of place. It was like BAM! Here's a kid who's a witch with a robe and a pointy hat. After all you've been through while reading the series, how are you suppose to believe in a character like that in the world of Berserk?

How? the same way Guts and company did. When they first ran into each other even Isidro was making fun of her pointy hat because she was, in fact, out of place, but thats the point. She IS out of place. Thats part of the story. And as a character she has grown and proven herself to Guts. Miura isn't just throwing shit in for no other reason than him being a fanboy of mythology himself. Is that what your suggesting? I'm starting to think you don't even understand some of the characters at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
They might not be part of ours but to me seeing something new is more appealing than something I'm used to.

Same for everybody. But I have to point out that personally, you know, I'm not really "used" to unicorns. Not that I'm calling you a sissy that played with girls' toys as a kid, but you know... :ganishka: (I'm just kidding, please don't be offended)

pjboom said:
If there's an Hydra, there must be a Dragon, so we will finaly see Godo's dream realized and if the Dragonslayer honours it's name (I mean a real dragon, Grunbeld was more like a dragonshaped rock to me).

Godot didn't dream of his sword killing a dragon... He didn't believe dragons even existed.

Death May Die said:
I don't see a break for Guts anytime soon. Miura is entirely throwing "the world" against Guts. The only thing left as this point and for Griffith to turn the kingdom people against him. Thats just off the top of my head.

Well Guts and his friends are going to arrive at Elfhelm soon, and they'll likely get quite the break once they're there. As for setting the people of Midland against Guts, not only does that not make much sense, but it's not something Griffith would do considering his current state of mind.

Nosferatu

BERSERK
At what point in this manga are the good guys going to win? I thought maybe when Miura introduced witches to the scene, Guts could form an army of his own to battle Griffith with...nope. Miura killed them off (well most of them as it's implied so far). Miura brings Griffith back to Earth in human-ish form. I can see Guts possibly fending off some of the Apostles and beheading Griffith with the new and improved shadow Dragonslayer...nope. Griffith still has God-Hand powers and he knows everything as Skully just found out. Now Earth is...well everyones seen the episode. Guts should just quit and retire somewhere. I don't know if Miura even wants the good guys to win or not. If so, he's got a hell of a way of showing it. Right now Evil x 1,000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Good. I'm not ragging the manga in anyway (just ranting), I just want Guts to have a happy ending. For the last ten years of me following Berserk, I'm just not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Shit just keeps getting worse and worse. Eh, I guess I'm just feeling as helpless as the characters in Berserk since I'm so attached to this masterpiece. end rant.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nosferatubeast said:
I'm just not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I see it, why here it comes now. =)

train.gif
:griffnotevil: :zodd: :void: :slan: :idea: :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nosferatubeast said:
At what point in this manga are the good guys going to win?

If they ever do? Not until the very end. :slan:

Nosferatubeast said:
Griffith still has God-Hand powers and he knows everything as Skully just found out.

What SK found out is that Femto had been expecting him, not that he's omniscient.

Nosferatubeast said:
Guts should just quit and retire somewhere.

Well he's kind of en route to his retirement home right now. :ganishka:

Death May Die said:
I think this is Skullknight's 100th Episode.

It's not.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nosferatubeast said:
At what point in this manga are the good guys going to win? I thought maybe when Miura introduced witches to the scene, Guts could form an army of his own to battle Griffith with...nope. Miura killed them off (well most of them as it's implied so far). Miura brings Griffith back to Earth in human-ish form. I can see Guts possibly fending off some of the Apostles and beheading Griffith with the new and improved shadow Dragonslayer...nope. Griffith still has God-Hand powers and he knows everything as Skully just found out. Now Earth is...well everyones seen the episode. Guts should just quit and retire somewhere. I don't know if Miura even wants the good guys to win or not. If so, he's got a hell of a way of showing it. Right now Evil x

I was thinking that too. Berserk is so unique that way. In most good versus evil stories it's always about trying to stop the bad guys before they can take over the word. But in Berserk that's already happened. Not to compare it to Lord of the Rings, but it's like imagine if Frodo failed and Sauron actually got the ring back and took over the world. I've never seen odds stacked so high against the good guys. And the shot from the moon of the entire planet being covered in the light gave me goosebumps. I've never seen that in a fantasy story either. I imagine most fantasy authors are a little reluctant to expand beyond the physical ground of the land they have created, but Miura boldly shows a shot from space, which really makes me think.

By the same order some humans probably appeared at some camp of hydras and were duly roasted and enjoyed over the fire...

I know that most of the readers are inclined to believe that unicorns appeared from the other realm but I wonder if the light is going to transform the inhabitants of Guts' world too... and if it does then may be it was the farmers' horses that were transformed into unicorn. Just a thought.

ps Aaz: I didn't pop a vein over the unicorns... and as far as seeing good natured creatures in the future goes, its difficult because the scale is so heavily tilted in favor of bad and ultrabad monsters up till now. I think we can probably count the good natured creatures in all the manga on just the fingers of two hands... You are much more up to speed with the berserk glossary so I will leave that up to you skilled mind.. I think it will be an interesting exercise.... I'll start :puck: , :schnoz: possibly :badbone: ummm who else? behelit apostle ?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I'm in a rush so I'll make this quick.

MaN said:
By the same order some humans probably appeared at some camp of hydras and were duly roasted and enjoyed over the fire...

I'm going to stick with that these things just started showing up. It's more likely two farmers were fucking around in the woods when suddenly a dozen Hydra showed up.

I know that most of the readers are inclined to believe that unicorns appeared from the other realm but I wonder if the light is going to transform the inhabitants of Guts' world too... and if it does then may be it was the farmers' horses that were transformed into unicorn. Just a thought.

I doubt it. It's not like a farmer was about to kill your random garden snake when suddenly it turned into hydra or the farmers that were about to become Hydra food turned into minotaurs.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
And the shot from the moon of the entire planet being covered in the light gave me goosebumps. I've never seen that in a fantasy story either. I imagine most fantasy authors are a little reluctant to expand beyond the physical ground of the land they have created, but Miura boldly shows a shot from space, which really makes me think.

Yes. Miura is the fucking man. The story started with a simple enough scope; the setting was limited. But he's been expanding it ever since and it's always remained perfectly coherent. You don't see that a lot. In fact you just don't see it at all outside of Berserk as far as I know.

MaN said:

Hahaha well, I know of at least one hydra that's going to have a good time soon after this episode's end. :zodd:

MaN said:

I don't think so; that's not how things work from what we've been told and shown.

MaN said:
ps Aaz: I didn't pop a vein over the unicorns... and as far as seeing good natured creatures in the future goes, its difficult because the scale is so heavily tilted in favor of bad and ultrabad monsters up till now.

I meant that line for people in general, not to you specifically. And the scale is still heavily tilted in favor of "bad monsters". Those unicorns sure didn't look like they were about to save the world.

MaN said:
I think we can probably count the good natured creatures in all the manga on just the fingers of two hands... You are much more up to speed with the berserk glossary so I will leave that up to you skilled mind.. I think it will be an interesting exercise.... I'll start :puck: , :schnoz: possibly :badbone: ummm who else? Beherit apostle ?

The Schnoz is technically an evil creature, and the beherit-apostle was an apostle (duh) so he was evil as well. SK was originally a human, so he doesn't count. That leaves elves. :puck:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm going to stick with that these things just started showing up. It's more likely two farmers were fucking around in the woods when suddenly a dozen Hydra showed up.

We're only shown one hydra. It has 9 heads. =)

Aazealh said:
The Schnoz is technically an evil creature, and the beherit-apostle was an apostle (duh) so he was evil as well. SK was originally a human, so he doesn't count.

The apostles were also originally humans

I go away for a while, come back to all these new EPISODES...

:isidro:

Seriously, I thought I was over being super-excited by stuff like this, but damn if Miura doesn't make me feel like an over-excited 10 year old again.

Y'know, looking back over the recent EPISODES, people could pretty much figure out that Griffith would defeat Ganishka, we knew Guts and co. would have troublesome adventures on the ocean - by no means am I saying that things were /predictible/, but at least we had some notion of how things were going to go.

Now, though... damn. I can't even begin to guess.

Interesting comment about magic before though - magic in Berserk so far seems to be based a great deal on the seperation of the worlds. On traveling though them in a limited way (astral), summoning creatures from different worlds or affecting them. Now that the worlds are merging/merged - 'magic' as such... will definately change. Again, here I can barely speculate, since the evidence of how magic used to work in Berserk is limited, and now everything has changed.

As a side note, seeing this:
50070085.jpg
- just how old /is/ Schierke, anyway? I had her pegged at around 13, but seeing how small she looks with Serpico holding her up like that, I'm not so sure anymore.

Given that her understanding of magic is greater than anyone else on that ship, I'm hoping for some specific mental exposition from her, though I doubt even she could begin to guess at what's happening, only what's changing.

Sidenote 2 - Isidro and Serpico's magically enhanced items, now that the worlds are merging/merged, will definately not work like they used to anymore. I think that's all I can say with any real certainty here.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Sidenote 2 - Isidro and Serpico's magically enhanced items, now that the worlds are merging/merged, will definately not work like they used to anymore. I think that's all I can say with any real certainty here.
It's not certain at all, actually. Their weapons function by utilizing the fundamental elements. Those haven't changed. If anything DOES change, I'd say they may even be more effective.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm surprised we didn't see the light washing over everyone on the boat, we just saw Guts' reaction. I would have been interested in seeing how Schierke reacted too.

Oburi said:
And the shot from the moon of the entire planet being covered in the light gave me goosebumps. I've never seen that in a fantasy story either. I imagine most fantasy authors are a little reluctant to expand beyond the physical ground of the land they have created, but Miura boldly shows a shot from space, which really makes me think.

Its extremely interesting to think that this has only been happening in one part of the world. How is Griffith going to spread his Gospel across the globe?

I suppose i should have processed the meaning of the Kushan invading (a different country) and how that opened up the world, but seeing the planet from space really hammers it home.

There are kingdoms, towns, and villages (probably) all over the planet. More than likely there are apostles too.

Very cool.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Interesting comment about magic before though - magic in Berserk so far seems to be based a great deal on the seperation of the worlds. On traveling though them in a limited way (astral), summoning creatures from different worlds or affecting them. Now that the worlds are merging/merged - 'magic' as such... will definately change.

Definitely, eh? Seeing how we don't know the technicalities of what's happening I wouldn't be quite so confident if I were you. A lot is going to change (has already changed), but who says magic depended on the separation of the worlds? Or even that the deepest parts of the astral world have already merged with the corporeal world? It might very well be facilitated now, but it could also be mostly unaffected.

Don't rule out the possibilities. :slan:

Bekul said:
just how old /is/ Schierke, anyway?

We don't know.

Bekul said:
Given that her understanding of magic is greater than anyone else on that ship, I'm hoping for some specific mental exposition from her, though I doubt even she could begin to guess at what's happening, only what's changing.

If she understands what's changing then she understands what's happening, doesn't she?

Bekul said:
Isidro and Serpico's magically enhanced items, now that the worlds are merging/merged, will definately not work like they used to anymore. I think that's all I can say with any real certainty here.

What's your basis for saying so with any real certainty? Sounds like an assumption to me.

Oburi said:
I'm surprised we didn't see the light washing over everyone on the boat, we just saw Guts' reaction. I would have been interested in seeing how Schierke reacted too.

Maybe next episode? I'm quite sure we will be shown what she has to say about it.

Top Bottom