Episode 305

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
haha, those poor poor farmers. They just had the look of " uggggh, what in the hell." Then it finally hits them. :ganishka:

Beutiful stuff as always.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Another interesting detail: his left arm is shown whole in his spiritual form (might very well be the artificial arm of course, but even then that's quite interesting).
I'm not sure we can see enough of the arm to say it's fully there. Looks like it's just the wrappings to me.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Interesting stuff indeed, even his patch of white hair is gone, so his spiritual form show us the changes it has taken. Even to be more of a nitpick here, Azan still wearing his helmet.(don't wanna get tanned?).
Azan's face is probably disfigured from torture at the hands of the Holy See after Albion. Just a hunch anyway. His eyes are certainly open WIIIIDE constantly. Very creepy.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I'm not sure we can see enough of the arm to say it's fully there. Looks like it's just the wrappings to me.

You can see it extending beyond his elbow and forearm. Also, none of the other wrappings, or anything "inorganic," is actually visible, barring the possibility that Guts' false arm is appearing on his astral form as Aaz wondered. Interestingly enough, armor and clothes were visible in the similar imagery of 304, so the anomaly is Guts' nakedness otherwise. Anyway, it's either his false arm appearing as a part of him, his natural arm still existing on the astral plane, or a combination of the two, such as the arm being so tied to Guts in his own mind (i.e. he reaches for Casca with it in earnest without even realizing he can't grab her) that it's become the equivalent of his natural arm, kind of related related to how Schierke and Farnese mentally project their astral forms.

Walter said:
Azan's face is probably disfigured from torture at the hands of the Holy See after Albion. Just a hunch anyway. His eyes are certainly open WIIIIDE constantly. Very creepy.

Ohh, never even thought of that, cool idea beyond his futilely trying to hide his identity.

The only problem I have with the fake arm being real is that Guts still has his eye closed. I know they just pointed out that he'd forgotten how his arm was gone, but then, couldn't he just have adjusted to the loss of his eye too?

Though, of course there's the whole 'image of eclipse burned into Guts' mind as the last stimuli that eye ever sent' deal and the easy counter of "Hey Guts is used to keeping his eye closed!". I don't know, I think the picture is overall too vague to know, though it'd be an interesting twist if he got his missing pieces back.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CowTip said:
The only problem I have with the fake arm being real is that Guts still has his eye closed. I know they just pointed out that he'd forgotten how his arm was gone, but then, couldn't he just have adjusted to the loss of his eye too?

Well, the distinction is he has no substitute for his eye whereas his metal arm has become second nature to him. Guts himself said in 287 that he had forgotten it was just something he put on to destroy his enemies. Anyway, self-image is important here, Guts wouldn't imagine himself with an eye where there isn't one, but conversely, he also might not think of himself, especially from an aesthetic standpoint, as someone with only a stump. It's actually one of the real reasons, psychological, for synthetic replacement appendages.

CowTip said:
Though, of course there's the whole 'image of eclipse burned into Guts' mind as the last stimuli that eye ever sent' deal and the easy counter of "Hey Guts is used to keeping his eye closed!".

Yeah, again, he still gets plenty out of what's left of his arm, meanwhile, he's not getting any more use out of that eye. =)

CowTip said:
I don't know, I think the picture is overall too vague to know, though it'd be an interesting twist if he got his missing pieces back.

Oh, it certainly is vague, and nobody is suggesting that he's actually going to physically reacquire those things now. Like Aaz said, it's just interesting that there's anything to see there at all, whether that just be his false arm, or some astral form representing how his arm exists in his mind.

orgazmo2.jpg

"Dude I don't want to sound queer or anything, but between you and me, I think unicorns are kick ass!"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
Interesting stuff indeed, even his patch of white hair is gone, so his spiritual form show us the changes it has taken.

That's already been pointed out, and I don't see how it shows us any particular changes that his white hair isn't shown. On the contrary that's a lack of changes.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Even to be more of a nitpick here, Azan still wearing his helmet.(don't wanna get tanned?).

What's nitpicky about that? Azan hasn't removed his helmet since he embarked on the ship as far as we know. He's still trying to stay incognito.

Walter said:

I'm pretty sure. :guts:

Walter said:

Fun idea, but somehow I don't think so. He's probably just being eccentric in his efforts not to be recognized.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Also, none of the other wrappings, or anything "inorganic," is actually visible, barring the possibility that Guts' false arm is appearing on his astral form as Aaz wondered. Interestingly enough, armor and clothes were visible in the similar imagery of 304, so the anomaly is Guts' nakedness otherwise.

Well in episode 304 it's hard to say whether the light had fully washed over them already since Ganishka only explodes at the end of the episode. That could be enough to make a difference. Or there's the fact Guts is (was?) in the Interstice, with a stronger connexion to the spiritual world than normal humans.

宮本 グリフィス said:
the arm being so tied to Guts in his own mind (i.e. he reaches for Casca with it in earnest without even realizing he can't grab her) that it's become the equivalent of his natural arm

That's precisely what I had in mind. :serpico:

宮本 グリフィス said:
kind of related related to how Schierke and Farnese mentally project their astral forms.

Hmm, I don't know about that. Seems to be a different thing to me: when they project themselves, their spirit simply leaves their body. Basically the spiritual self is separated from the corporeal self. It's not the same with Guts associating a prosthesis to himself so much that it'd become tied to him on the spiritual level.

CowTip said:
The only problem I have with the fake arm being real is that Guts still has his eye closed.

Like Griff said, he has no substitude for his eye. That makes all the difference.

CowTip said:
"Hey Guts is used to keeping his eye closed!".

Guts doesn't just keep his eye closed, you know. It's likely the healing tissues have fused it shut permanently.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Anyway, self-image is important here

Yes, exactly. It's the same with how he has no scar except for the one on his nose. It could just be because the cartilage itself was cut and not just the skin, but beyond that it's also his trademark scar, one he's had since early childhood and that means a lot to him because of its tie to Gambino.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
This episode was pretty weak in comparison to the last 10 or so episodes. Don't really know what else to say besides that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
This episode was pretty weak in comparison to the last 10 or so episodes. Don't really know what else to say besides that.
You should be pleased, the trolls are now merged with the physical world. You can join with your brethren! :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
宮本 グリフィス said:
I'll play along. :troll:

www.skullknight.net/griffith/lumbergh.wav

:ganishka:

Seriously man, as it has been said before it's continuing what happened in the last few episodes. Think of it as one big event. And I don't see how it could possibly get any more epic than this!

Oburi said:
:ganishka:

Seriously man, as it has been said before it's continuing what happened in the last few episodes. Think of it as one big event. And I don't see how it could possibly get any more epic than this!

Couldn't agree more. This episode was so epic I had to register.

I know this can get into a whole giant discussion so I won't push the issue past this, but:

Aazealh said:
Like Griff said, he has no substitute for his eye. That makes all the difference.

The real problem I have with this argument is that while what you say is true that there is no direct replacement, one could argue that his other eye is the replacement for the one he's lost. If it wasn't for that they've shown repeatedly that Guts is drawn to his lost eye whenever the eclipse is brought up, I'd argue that many people probably don't think of themselves as a one eyed person after awhile. People adapt to change, much like Guts did with his artificial arm, I could see him not even being self-aware that he only has one eye. I could see this being even truer due to the fact that Guts doesn't even wear an eyepatch and there don't seem to be a lot of mirrors around making his lost eye even less noticeable to himself over time. Again though, Guts had his eye taken from him, something he seems to remember on a regular basis. His arm was destroyed due to self-affliction, he saw his arm as a hindrance at that moment so he tossed it aside. Maybe that holds the difference?

Guts doesn't just keep his eye closed, you know. It's likely the healing tissues have fused it shut permanently.

I actually didn't even know this was possible. Something I'll definitely need to look into. I always wondered how he managed to keep that thing closed all the time :ganishka:

Yes, exactly. It's the same with how he has no scar except for the one on his nose. It could just be because the cartilage itself was cut and not just the skin, but beyond that it's also his trademark scar, one he's had since early childhood and that means a lot to him because of its tie to Gambino.

Perhaps this would indeed be the same as his arm. This wound was inflicted upon guts, as such it might mean more to him on top of connections such as Gambino. Another note is that these two wounds in particular were inflicted upon guts during a time when he was more vulnerable. Times of weakness that Guts rejects? (Gambino's strength led to Guts trying harder, loss of his eye when completely helpless whereas say the burn marks were all almost necessary wounds of a sort)

Again, I'm not stating my opinion as fact, just trying to look deeper into what Miura might be showing us here in this EPISODE.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
The real problem I have with this argument is that while what you say is true that there is no direct replacement, one could argue that his other eye is the replacement for the one he's lost.

No, I don't think one couldn't argue that unless one really didn't understand the concept of a prosthesis. Guts' other eye doesn't replace the one he's lost, just like his other forearm doesn't replace the one he's lost. At most it merely palliates the extent to which that loss affects him. A glass eye would be a replacement, albeit a completely useless one beyond aesthetical concerns.

CowTip said:
If it wasn't for that they've shown repeatedly that Guts is drawn to his lost eye whenever the eclipse is brought up, I'd argue that many people probably don't think of themselves as a one eyed person after awhile. People adapt to change, much like Guts did with his artificial arm, I could see him not even being self-aware that he only has one eye.

But we've been shown that Guts is very much aware that he has only one eye, so you won't argue that. And it's a good thing, because frankly I believe it's beside the point. I don't think someone who's lost an eye would forget about it, even if he never saw himself in a mirror. Getting used to it doesn't change the fact that it's gone.

CowTip said:
His arm was destroyed due to self-affliction, he saw his arm as a hindrance at that moment so he tossed it aside. Maybe that holds the difference?

No, I don't think so. See above.

CowTip said:
This wound was inflicted upon guts, as such it might mean more to him on top of connections such as Gambino.

Many, many wounds were inflicted upon Guts. So I don't think that fact itself means too much here.

CowTip said:
Another note is that these two wounds in particular were inflicted upon guts during a time when he was more vulnerable. Times of weakness that Guts rejects?

Not rebuking you or anything, but speaking very honestly, I think that's far-fetched. Why would those be part of his spiritual self if he rejected them? Makes no sense to me. Personally I don't think it's got anything to do with rejection at all, but rather like I posted earlier that it's more a matter of self-image (not to mention the fact he has a metal prosthetis attached to his arm). Of how Guts pictures himself.

Well, I can say that I'm definitely looking forward to some of the clarifications of this event that are bound to come rolling in sometime soon (hopefully). I can't wait for the next few episodes that's for sure!

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I hate to be off-topic, but, Oburi, your avatar is adorable and I want the full-size version of it or the original image or something. Who drew it?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
I hate to be off-topic, but, Oburi, your avatar is adorable and I want the full-size version of it or the original image or something. Who drew it?

I wrote "thanks Grail" beneath it to answer that question. She did an amazing job and I'm forever grateful!

Nice episode like always,I loved the discussion going on here ,the unicorn ranting and the answers from some of you really made me laugh (SK.net is really a funny place to go) anyway back to the topic , the area affected by Ganishka's "explosion"(did not find any better word to say here) is . . . IMPRESSIVE and the way Miura depicted it is really awesome.
Moreover this episode is perfectly foreshadowing what could the "age of darkness" be for the human beings; scared and lost they run to the enlightened castle! by the way it's quite ironical that those being "in touch" with the devil(ie Griffith ) feel safe being covered by a "holy light" and that this exact same light is actually a curse for most of the human being around the world or...maybe I'm overthinking here :guts:

If anything, I'd say you're probably on the money. Everything we've become acustomed to in the Berserk universe is in a state of flux right now. Really, whoever thinks this episode was a let down should really sit down and reconsider if this series is for them.

This event has proven we are liable to see ANYTHING. There's just so much to anticipate...

Sea monsters anyone? ;)

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'm just waiting for Griffith to corrupt Charlotte and turn her into some kind of Countess Bathory. That would be quite entertaining.

Well, regardless of the world-changing event... What does this mean for Guts and his quest? I still believe the story is about him, although a good part of the latest episodes disagree.

So if the worlds have merged, doesn't this mean that the God Hand, and Griffith, are now reachable? By a certain swordsman that has been chasing otherworldly beings up until now, I mean :chomp:

And perhaps he goes through physical changes in a way that he's not so limited by his body as he is now. It seems a world of fantasy has replaced the realistically medieval one. There is a lot to expect.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
JK said:
I still believe the story is about him, although a good part of the latest episodes disagree.

Just because the latest episodes aren't focused on Guts, doesn't mean that the story isn't about him. This is just showing the reader what lays ahead for Guts.

Top Bottom