Episode 307

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Regarding the Falcon symbols in Falconia, the main insignia above the gate to the city really looks familiar to me, though I do agree it's a bit of a stretch.

falconia-symbol.jpg

When I first saw this, I thought hm, the arrangement of the wings at the bottom look a little familiar. They're curved a little unnaturally, unlike the others, which just look like outspread wings. These appear to be forming the double helix evident in the Holy See symbol, the Brand, and :idea:

Well, that's just my take on it anyway :void:

While reading episode 138, I noticed a similar motif adorning the walls where Mozgus is prostrating himself.

While these winged symbols look slightly different, the double helix theme is a bit more prominent in them, in my opinion. Also, while it's a little hard to tell from the scan I posted, the symbols have twelve wings, too.

EDIT: Clearer picture below.

D

DrPepperPro

Cool beans. Here's a clearer version:

0180102.png

There's so many repeating motifs in that room, very nice to look at.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Good observation Rhombaad! Not exactly the same symbol, but definitely reminiscent. Now the question is, who put those symbols on the walls of Albion, and how long ago? :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
One of the symbols used in Falconia reminded me of something ... and I couldn't put my finger on it until now.

wingdisk.gif

The Egyptian Winged Disk​

And here's another, more ancient example: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15932/15932-h/images/pg_150_f.png

It originally represented the protection of Horus, and could be seen over many entranceways in Egypt, which is how it's presented to us in Falconia -- above its entrance.

Horus was so pleased with him that he ordered Thoth to have a winged disk, with a serpent on each side of it, placed in every temple in Egypt in which he worshipped, so that it might act as a protector of the building, and drive away any and every fiend and devil that might wish to attack it. This is the reason why we find the winged disk, with a serpent on each side of it, above the doors of temples and religious buildings throughout the length and breadth of Egypt.
Of course, there's no serpent in the Falconia version...

Though it was originally meant to represent Horus, its usage has changed over time as various groups took it under their "wing," such as the Freemasons, so-called Illuminati, and Jehovah's Witnesses. These groups came to call it the "Sun of Righteousness." Which in some way, relates to the "true dawn" that Locus spoke of.

Many of these crackpot theories on its symbolism are collected here: http://www.seanet.com/~raines/disc.html

Russell apparently used the winged globe symbol to symbolize the coming New or Golden Age when righteousness would fill the earth and Paradise would be restored.
I have not been able to pin down to my own satisfaction exactly, or even roughly, what it meant other than perhaps a symbol of the coming Golden Age.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Wow, I learned a bunch from pages 11-13. I didn't know the Devil(satan/lucifer) had 12 wings :0
I think it would be a neat tid-bit if Miura put the 12-winged emblem knowing perfectly well what it meant. Ultimate Fantasy Novel indeed.

skimming through old threads is so much fun
The things you guys have said... lol!

EDIT: I just realized this makes more sense now:

fuckin-pwn-attack.jpg
:isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't get too excited. It's really not that uncommon a motif. Just do a Google Image Search for "seraphim."

Top Bottom