Episode 307

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
The place is massive. So this is what all those bodies paving the stone path leads too.

Yup, looks like it. I'm wondering if what's left of the citizens of Wyndham will be enough to populate this gigantic city or if they'll bring in people from all around Midland. And I know we're saying this every time and it gets old and all but seriously, Guts is going to have a hard time getting his revenge. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Guts is going to have a hard time getting his revenge. :ganishka:

I was thinking the same thing. Its going to be just as fun seeing that place come down as it is watching it appear.

God Hand Beings. Monstrous Apostles. Towering Empire. Army of the Endless Dead.
~ Ha! No match for a man with a 9ft sword and a elf.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Looks like my guess was correct: the city of Falconia has appeared
Interesting that though Falconia appeared, it's not in place of the towering figure of light at the end of 306. On the first preview page, you can see the "tree" still outside Falconia. Yet, by the end of the episode, there's no evidence of it (or perhaps it's just not within view of this angle). It hasn't even changed, if going strictly by the first preview page. What the hell is it, then?

Another cool thing I was interested in is the imagery of human and creature together along the outside of the city. A fitting motif. Also, I'd like to see the sigil above the doorway to the city in more detail. Looks like a falcon motif, obviously, but ... I wonder if there's some other imagery in it.

Oh yeah and, I wonder what's inside :carcus:

Since we've been on break for so long, I thought it would be useful to do a quick review of volumes 33-34 in preparation for the coming episode(s). Please don't hesitate to comment on what you think these situations will set up for the groups in the near future.

Guts' perspective:
The group has set sail from Vritannis to Skellig in search of Elfhelm for a safe haven and a cure to Casca's mind. Roderick, who is still determined to spark a romantic interest in Farnese, has lended his ship, the Sea Horse. While aboard, Isidro trains with Azan, who is shocked to be on the same boat with his former comrades after being exiled from the Holy See. He futilely pretends not to know them. Farnese expands her magic studies with Schierke into astral projection, during which they are both faced with the uncomfortable reality that the man they admire is undeniably devoted to Casca. Guts nearly drowns while rescuing Casca, and remembers their time together, and how they got to where they are now, realizing the past still weighs him down in more ways than one.

Pirates attack the Sea Horse, leading to a confrontation that shows Roderick's nautical skills. During the battle, Guts has a fever, and while asleep, the Beast delivers a message. It says the chains that bind it won't hold forever, and it will emerge again, swallowing Guts completely after his new friends are inevitably killed. Guts remembers nothing from the dream. During the victory celebrations, Magnifico unveils his ambition to Roderick of exploiting the magical riches of Elfhelm -- a plan that coincides with he and Roderick's earlier talks of discovering new, uncharted territories, albeit for different reasons. Roderick doesn't seem interested, but Puck humorously takes a quick liking to the prospect of becoming the new king of his homeland. And while Farnese and Roderick draw closer, Serpico finds himself losing footing with his half-sister.

Guts, Puck, the beherit, Casca and Schierke sense something evil across the world. Schierke says it feels like the world is being ripped in two. Later, the group is washed over by the tidal wave spreading across the globe as the worlds are merged.

Griffith's perspective:
Raban and others in the resistance lead a rescue mission for the citizens still inside Wyndham behind enemy lines. Meanwhile, Griffith leads the Falcons and what little troops the Holy See Alliance has sent with them to gather around Wyndham, preparing for the promised decisive battle against the Kushans. Fearing his loss of control in Griffith's presence and sensing that nothing he can do will be effective against him, Ganishka makes a desperate bid for power by entering the apostle chamber. Immediately afterward, his fog envelops the city, devouring every living thing it touches, reducing his forces within the city to empty armors. The citizens of Wyndham are all saved from the fog by their children's prophetic dream, and use the armors to escape from the city without raising alarm among the troops stationed outside. En route to safety, they encounter Silat and the Bakiraka. They are able to pass without incident after a Kushan emissary of Griffith's, Jaris, convinces Silat to let them pass.

Ganishka emerges from the apostle chamber as a towering mass of evil. Driven mad by power, he crushes Wyndham and tramples his remaining forces while Daiba tries in vain to bring his master back to his senses. Ganishka-like creatures spawn from the craters of his footsteps and assault the Falcons. Griffith commands them to unleash their evil, exposing their monstrous forms to the humans. The humans reel in terror, but as apostles give their lives in defense, Sonia reminds them that they are on the same side. The humans rise to protect them, leading to a collusion of humans and apostles.

Griffith flies on the back of Zodd to the top of the towering figure, where is left a part of Ganishka that is still sane. We see a flashback of how Ganishka became an apostle -- ruled by fear all his life he sacrificed his like-minded, traitorous son. Griffith drops his guise and turns into Femto to unlock the power inside Ganishka, but The Skull Knight appears at the critical moment, slicing at Femto with the Yobimizu no Tsurugi. Femto distorts space and manipulates the slash so that it strikes Ganishka, creating a rift that erupts a wave of astral power that envelops the world, creating a new one where human and astral creatures coexist.

The humans and apostles stare upward, transfixed by the glowing light coming from the towering form.

Falconia is gigantic!
Guts and his companions are going to have a hard time getting on top of that,
just imagine the bloodbath that is going to take place in there! :beast:
By the way, any guess about what is the enormous form that we can see behind Falconia, in the sky?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
By the way, any guess about what is the enormous form that we can see behind Falconia, in the sky?

I've wondered about that as well, but I couldn't think of anything obvious. Could be a giant monument within Falconia or something else created from Ganishka.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
I've wondered about that as well, but I couldn't think of anything obvious. Could be a giant monument within Falconia or something else created from Ganishka.

Looks like it could be a giant orb or dome. Of course, it could be a lot of things from this vantage point.

D

DrPepperPro

I was thinking it could be a giant beherit, in shape only or maybe more. But ya could be anything.

And at first glance I thought those things flying above the city were:

201.jpg

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Walter said:
Very nice, Falconia looks amazing! :isidro:

Since we've been on break for so long, I thought it would be useful to do a quick review of volumes 33-34 in preparation for the coming episode(s). Please don't hesitate to comment on what you think these situations will set up for the groups in the near future.

Good sum up. let's try.

Walter said:
Guts' perspective:
The group has set sail from Vritannis to Skellig in search of Elfhelm for a safe haven and a cure to Casca's mind. Roderick, who is still determined to spark a romantic interest in Farnese, has lended his ship, the Sea Horse. While aboard, Isidro trains with Azan, who is shocked to be on the same boat with his former comrades after being exiled from the Holy See. He futilely pretends not to know them. Farnese expands her magic studies with Schierke into astral projection, during which they are both faced with the uncomfortable reality that the man they admire is undeniably devoted to Casca. Guts nearly drowns while rescuing Casca, and remembers their time together, and how they got to where they are now, realizing the past still weighs him down in more ways than one.

Pirates attack the Sea Horse, leading to a confrontation that shows Roderick's nautical skills. During the battle, Guts has a fever, and while asleep, the Beast delivers a message. It says the chains that bind it won't hold forever, and it will emerge again, swallowing Guts completely after his new friends are inevitably killed. Guts remembers nothing from the dream. During the victory celebrations, Magnifico unveils his ambition to Roderick of exploiting the magical riches of Elfhelm -- a plan that coincides with he and Roderick's earlier talks of discovering new, uncharted territories, albeit for different reasons. Roderick doesn't seem interested, but Puck humorously takes a quick liking to the prospect of becoming the new king of his homeland. And while Farnese and Roderick draw closer, Serpico finds himself losing footing with his half-sister.

Guts, Puck, the beherit, Casca and Schierke sense something evil across the world. Schierke says it feels like the world is being ripped in two. Later, the group is washed over by the tidal wave spreading across the globe as the worlds are merged.

Well I think that the rebound of this huge merging will soon produce effect for the travel; There could be appearence of sea monster and so on, but even some unexpected things.
Moreover, the other members of Guts' party as you said still have their goals, and I think they have to rely too with those huge changes(that I think will move on even the political one of every country).
If as we thought on one hand the people under Griffith wings will eventually find a safe protection from those astral creatures, we have to think what other countries will do, and Roderik and magnifico too.
I think Schierke would be a good help for people ad guide to explain(and eventually fight) supernatural creatures, without necessarely deal with Falconia.
Guts, at this rate, is too weak to fight, then I think that he will have some other role in the near future.

Walter said:
Griffith's perspective:
Raban and others in the resistance lead a rescue mission for the citizens still inside Wyndham behind enemy lines. Meanwhile, Griffith leads the Falcons and what little troops the Holy See Alliance has sent with them to gather around Wyndham, preparing for the promised decisive battle against the Kushans. Fearing his loss of control in Griffith's presence and sensing that nothing he can do will be effective against him, Ganishka makes a desperate bid for power by entering the apostle chamber. Immediately afterward, his fog envelops the city, devouring every living thing it touches, reducing his forces within the city to empty armors. The citizens of Wyndham are all saved from the fog by their children's prophetic dream, and use the armors to escape from the city without raising alarm among the troops stationed outside. En route to safety, they encounter Silat and the Bakiraka. They are able to pass without incident after a Kushan emissary of Griffith's, Jaris, convinces Silat to let them pass.

Ganishka emerges from the apostle chamber as a towering mass of evil. Driven mad by power, he crushes Wyndham and tramples his remaining forces while Daiba tries in vain to bring his master back to his senses. Ganishka-like creatures spawn from the craters of his footsteps and assault the Falcons. Griffith commands them to unleash their evil, exposing their monstrous forms to the humans. The humans reel in terror, but as apostles give their lives in defense, Sonia reminds them that they are on the same side. The humans rise to protect them, leading to a collusion of humans and apostles.

Griffith flies on the back of Zodd to the top of the towering figure, where is left a part of Ganishka that is still sane. We see a flashback of how Ganishka became an apostle -- ruled by fear all his life he sacrificed his like-minded, traitorous son. Griffith drops his guise and turns into Femto to unlock the power inside Ganishka, but The Skull Knight appears at the critical moment, slicing at Femto with the Yobimizu no Tsurugi. Femto distorts space and manipulates the slash so that it strikes Ganishka, creating a rift that erupts a wave of astral power that envelops the world, creating a new one where human and astral creatures coexist.

The humans and apostles stare upward, transfixed by the glowing light coming from the towering form.

Here we have had a lot of sensational developments, and on the top of unexpected things now we can see Falconia.
I have always thought that Griffith would have build up a brand new country with the help of everyone more or less like Gaiseric, but the fact that it has appeared well set already, I think that suggests that even this country was desired already from mankind. Than everything is the will of God, that has to obey to the common coscience.
However I think that SK may go after Guts to explain the current situation;
Then I still can't imagine if Griffith will remain as Femto or not;
We have to see how Federico is gonna handle all this, and how the other nobles will act.
Anyway I think that the whole family of Farnese will rely on differend forces..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
Moreover, the other members of Guts' party as you said still have their goals, and I think they have to rely too with those huge changes(that I think will move on even the political one of every country).
What Locus said was true -- the previous power structures of the world, and politics, no longer have any meaning. No city will be able to defend against such an unprecedented attack. This changes everything.

If as we thought on one hand the people under Griffith wings will eventually find a safe protection from those astral creatures, we have to think what other countries will do, and Roderik and magnifico too.
I think Schierke would be a good help for people ad guide to explain(and eventually fight) supernatural creatures, without necessarely deal with Falconia.
Guts, at this rate, is too weak to fight, then I think that he will have some other role in the near future.
That's a good plan, except for the fact that Guts and Co. are headed to an isolated island of elves, not to train and protect humans. Unless you mean in the looooong run.

Here we have had a lot of sensational developments, and on the top of unexpected things now we can see Falconia.
I have always thought that Griffith would have build up a brand new country with the help of everyone more or less like Gaiseric, but the fact that it has appeared well set already, I think that suggests that even this country was desired already from mankind.
Or just the desire of one very influential person. :griffnotevil:

We have to see how Federico is gonna handle all this, and how the other nobles will act.
Anyway I think that the whole family of Farnese will rely on differend forces..
Federico Vandimion is screwed. Money can no longer buy him safety. Unless there happen to be some creatures willing to be hired for gold.

Something that caught my eye in these preview pages that could simply be a coincidence.

falconia-sigil.jpg
falconia-sigil2.jpg

gaiseric-sigil.jpg

I know they aren't exactly the same, there's clearly a falcon motif going on with the Falconia sigil, but considering the connection between these two and their empires, I thought it could be more than just coincidence.

Oh yeah, and I think Zodd is trying to lay claim to the fruits of Falconia before others get a chance. :zodd:

zodd-dibs.jpg

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'm going to wait until the episode to see how the city as a whole looks (if it is displayed in the episode that is) before I pass final judgment. At the moment I don't care much for the look of the entrance.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
I'm going to wait until the episode to see how the city as a whole looks (if it is displayed in the chapter that is) before I pass final judgment. At the moment I don't care much for the look of the entrance.
Let me guess. It didn't align with your personal expectations. You were hoping for something like this:

castle.jpg

PS: Fixed your "chapter" blunder.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Wow nice preview! thx Aaz for posting it.

Now I wonder, after this episode there is a chance we get a new chapter starting in a few episode (maybe in a couple).. What will it be about considering that Falconia has appeared. I can't wait to see what is next. Chapter of the ocean travels chronicle... Chapter of the Elfin home? Or will a new arc begin too? so many questions and only time will tell! :iva:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
KazigluBey said:
I'm going to wait until the episode to see how the city as a whole looks (if it is displayed in the episode that is) before I pass final judgment. At the moment I don't care much for the look of the entrance.

Well, I agree it looks a little bit theme park, but cmon, he can't just have the WHOLE wall surrounded by giant spearmen-with-griffin statues, that'd just be ostentatious. :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DrPepperPro said:
And at first glance I thought those things flying above the city were:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/oekaki/pictures/201.jpg

Hahaha, that would be quite... unexpected. :void:

Marik said:
I have always thought that Griffith would have build up a brand new country with the help of everyone more or less like Gaiseric, but the fact that it has appeared well set already, I think that suggests that even this country was desired already from mankind. Than everything is the will of God, that has to obey to the common coscience.

You speak of a country, but Falconia is a city. And none of what's happening right now necessarily means that Falconia as it is shown was desired by mankind.

jackson_hurley said:
Now I wonder, after this episode there is a chance we get a new chapter starting in a few episode (maybe in a couple).. What will it be about considering that Falconia has appeared. I can't wait to see what is next.

This very episode could be the beginning of a new chapter for all we know. Or it could be the next one. Same with the arc. We'll find out soon enough.

Lithrael said:
Well, I agree it looks a little bit theme park

I'm genuinely curious to know what reminds you of a theme park in those pictures.

Griffith

Walter said:
Let me guess. It didn't align with your personal expectations. You were hoping for something like this:

Or something like THIS:

_ve_2003_moscow_images_03.jpg

Though it's not too late for a giant statue of Griffith inside. Anyway, to be honest, I can't criticize anyone that doesn't like it, because I found it a bit weird looking too at first glance. =)

Then again, it's some sort of giant fantastical alien structure that has no earthly business existing in the "real world," so it should be a bit off-putting and ostentatious. It's a grower too, because by this morning when I gave it another look I really liked the design and that was not the case last night. I guess a simple description of it would be something neoclassical? Or beyond neoclassical, as Aaz points out, it has that futurist architectural vibe as well.

Another reason not to get too hung up on this structure is that it's just an outer shell, when I was imagining Falconia, it was always as a fantastic castle city, and I'm still hoping to see one inside!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
Then again, it's some sort of giant fantastical alien structure that has no earthly business existing in the "real world," so it should be a bit off-putting and ostentatious. ... I guess a simple description of it would be something neoclassical? Or beyond neoclassical, as Aaz points out, it has that futurist architectural vibe as well.
I'd say it somewhat resembles the larger-than-life feel of building plans during the Third Reich, and what Hitler had planned for his thousand-year reich. Especially if what we perceive as a dome in Falconia actually is a central dome: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/02/totalitarian-architecture-of-third.html

Based on the Pantheon in Rome, the Volkshalle would still be the largest enclosed space on the planet if it had ever been built. It would have been over 700 feet high and 800 feet in diameter, sixteen times larger than the dome of St. Peter's in the Vatican. Inside, there would have been space for 180,000 people and there is speculation that such a huge capacity could have caused the building to have its own weather system.
volkshalle.jpg
volkshalle2.jpg

It's towering, imposing and undeniably modern, but still hearkens back to some classical standards.

Obviously there's more going on in Falconia's depiction, and it's by no means a 1:1 comparison, but I can see a resemblance.

Griffith

Walter said:
I'd say it somewhat resembles the larger-than-life feel of architecture during the Third Reich http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/02/totalitarian-architecture-of-third.html

http://skullknight.net/images/volkshalle.jpg http://skullknight.net/images/volkshalle2.jpg

It's towering, imposing and undeniably modern, but still hearkens back to some classical standards.

Obviously there's more going on in Falconia's depiction, and it's by no means a 1:1 comparison, but I can see a resemblance.

Yeah, very good call, not just resemblance to the structures themselves but the philosophy behind such architecture. You can see a particular resemblance in the Olympic stadium from this angle, though it's likely just coincidence:

falconiastadium.jpg

And it's also fitting since Griffith is worse than Hitler! :troll:

The orb figure isn't just the Sun is it? I don't know. What I find kinda cool, is all the apostles are in one spot now. Gathered together, I'm thinking now its a bit more practical that Guts has a good chance of killing them all. Rather spending a life time finding them one by one. Thats just me.

Wow. Just wow. Seems like Griffith and the God Hand are safely locked away from any means of harm (well, with the exception of Skully, I suppose). Poor Skully has made the situation so much harder both for himself and for Guts.

What I find kinda cool, is all the apostles are in one spot now. Gathered together, I'm thinking now its a bit more practical that Guts has a good chance of killing them all. Rather spending a life time finding them one by one. Thats just me.

How would that make it easier? It'd be like the Eclipse all over again. Far too many of them (plus most of them are the best Apostles), plus all of those humans on Griffith's side.

Miura has really taken the story and cranked up the epic scale to the very top by doing this. It honestly has me very excited to see what Guts and Skully will do about this...

Top Bottom