Episode 310

Am I the only one who has this visual image of the elves of Elfhelm being much like the villagers in Willow in their generosity and kind hearted behaviour? yes? ok then

Still, although Elves have been described as good natured, they all have their own personalities and not all of them can be as caring as Puck. At least one of them is bound to make things a little bit difficult for the group by being a pain in the arse somehow.

Aazealh said:
On another topic, following discussions I had with Walter: what do you guys and girls think of the possibility of a new character joining the group in Elfhelm? And beyond that, what kind of character do you think would be interesting? A magic user whose style would differ from Schierke's? A new type of elf? An astral creature the group would keep as a pet?

Depending on how Casca reacts when/if she comes out of her current state, I think it would be great to see her back in armour again and maybe with a nice gift from the magic users to give her an upper hand in battle.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
Am I the only one who has this visual image of the elves of Elfhelm being much like the villagers in Willow in their generosity and kind hearted behaviour? yes? ok then

Well that's how elves have been described in the manga. Carefree and mischievous, but good-natured and kind-hearted.

JezzaX said:
Still, although Elves have been described as good natured, they all have their own personalities and not all of them can be as caring as Puck. At least one of them is bound to make things a little bit difficult for the group by being a pain in the arse somehow.

Everything's possible at this point.

JezzaX said:
Depending on how Casca reacts when/if she comes out of her current state, I think it would be great to see her back in armour again and maybe with a nice gift from the magic users to give her an upper hand in battle.

Casca doesn't count since she's already part of the group. If you want to speculate about her return though, why not try to guess what special ability or object she could obtain to have an edge in battle?

turkitage

ターク
Aazealh said:
That being said, Miura himself is clearly a perfectionist and a workaholic. But you know, as long as he's happy, it's not our place to pretend we know what's best for him.

yeah, very good point. A good bit of people do similar things (not as drastic but similar), but honestly when you are in the zone and in a mind set you just want to keep going and even though it could pushes yourself you know it's all worth it when you are done.

and of course I'm very excited about this eps. 310.

I think the chances of a new member of Guts' party is slim, but if I had to say what type, I think a human who is nearer to Serpico in personality than, say, Isidro. And he may even be a ranger.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm hoping(perhaps illogically) for a female counterpart to Serpico :serpico:, I mean think about it... Guts has Casca, Isidro has Schierke, Roderick has Farnese, Puck even has Ivalera... Serpico is slowly losing his place as Farnese's male counterpart with Roderick in the picture. It is a bit cliched for every character to have a possible love interest counterpart, but still, poor Serpy deserves somebody. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
I'm hoping(perhaps illogically) for a female counterpart to Serpico :serpico:, I mean think about it... Guts has Casca, Isidro has Schierke, Roderick has Farnese, Puck even has Ivalera...

Azan has Serpico. Problem solved. No need to thank me. :badbone:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Azan has Serpico. Problem solved. No need to thank me.

:ganishka:

I do like the idea of another girl joining the group, and it would be great if Serpico found someone to hook up with, too. I think another magic user would be a big help against Griffith and his army of apostles, but perhaps we'll see a someone with a mixture of magic and fighting abilities. Like a cross between Serpico and Schierke.

Another idea I had was a magic user with something like the kundalini in his or her possession.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've also considered that another party member may be in store for Guts and Co. in Elfhelm. Primarily because it's good timing. It's an entirely new, mostly unknown portion of the Berserk world. If there were ever a time to add a new party member, it'd be now. They would help orient readers to this new place and could represent the perspective of Elfhelm inhabitants -- in a different way than Puck. Similar to how Schierke was introduced in part to help orient the party, and readers, to the world of magic.

As for why it can't simply be Puck, well, it could. But I think he'll be regarded as something of an outsider once he gets back to his home. Just a hunch based on little more than his departure from it and his silence about the Elf King.

Rhombaad said:
Another idea I had was a magic user ...
Yeah, this is what I've been pondering. We know there are wizards and other human magic users living with Elves there, and Schierke was trained apart from them by Flora. It's likely there are all sorts of rules and formalities Flora ignored in order to teach Schierke what she thought was proper. A new character could be someone who would draw out those distinctions about Schierke's training. Maybe an older guy who gets fussy when he learns she knows more than him :ganishka:

Of course, Aaz pointed out to me that there would be quite a number of magic users in the party then -- Schierke, Farnese (in training) and this character. So, maybe not ...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
As for why it can't simply be Puck, well, it could. But I think he'll be regarded as something of an outsider once he gets back to his home. Just a hunch based on little more than his departure from it and his silence about the Elf King.

Speaking of which, I wonder why he never thought to mention that Casca could be cured by Hanafubuku Oh. I suppose it's possible he didn't know the extent of the Elf King's powers, but I wonder if something happened between them that was so painful Puck wouldn't even consider going back to Elfhelm unless it was an emergency. I feel stronger about the former idea. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
perhaps we'll see a someone with a mixture of magic and fighting abilities. Like a cross between Serpico and Schierke.

What if Casca plays that role, though? :casca:

Speaking of which, does anyone foresee a scenario where Casca and Azan would receive water-based and earth-based equipment to complement Serpico and Isidro? I'm not partial to it myself.

Rhombaad said:
Another idea I had was a magic user with something like the kundalini in his or her possession.

That's what I meant earlier by "an astral creature the group would keep as a pet". :troll: I guess Farnese could also be the one to take care of a little menagerie. Would allow her to have cool powers while not being on Schierke's level.

Rhombaad said:
Speaking of which, I wonder why he never thought to mention that Casca could be cured by Hanafubuku Oh.

There are so many possibilities. Most of all, it's his enigmatic reaction when Ivalera and Isidro confronted him that's the most intriguing to me. Because whether he knew the full extent of the king's powers or not, he never mentioned him at all.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I love the idea of a new party member as well. I know it definitely wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't mind a 3rd elf.

What would be interesting is if there were apostles living amongst the elves. An apostle in Guts' group would also be impossible. I don't think Guts and Casca could ever overcome their prejudices, all things considered.

Another magic user or perhaps some kind of supernatural creature seems like a great addition.

On another note, when Casca regains herself, I certainly hope she resumes the role of commander within Guts' group.

Restored Casca = new party member. (Commander of the group. Uh, no. Why? Guts is lee-duh)

I think anyone tagging along at this point would be overkill. Magnifico is bad enough. :magni: Hell maybe Miura will subtract form the group, only to bring them back later on.

A third elf would also ruin the dynamic between Puck and Ivarella. 2's company... Plus, I think there's a great untapped potential for Puck in the future.

Serpico doesn't need a love interest IMO. If anything it will keep him level headed. Girls are trouble. :slan: Serpico is a tactician, he knows it's bad enough worrying for Farnese. Anymore *gurls* can only mean less focus! He needs to stay sharp and sly.

Plus, guys, Azan still hasn't taken his mask off. :ganishka:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
While Guts is a good strategist and does have great leadership qualities, he was Casca's underling during the Band of the Falcon days. She was the sole reason that group survived as long as they did. While it's more probable that Guts will remain leader, it's not TOO crazy to think Casca COULD lead that group. Remember, she was still commanding the Falcons when the madness of the Eclipse was unleashed.

Also, one of the things Guts was in love with was her strength.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
What I'm looking forward to most with Casca's revival, other than the event itself, is Farnese being relieved of her duties in protecting her. To focus fully on her magic training :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
A third elf would also ruin the dynamic between Puck and Ivarella. 2's company... Plus, I think there's a great untapped potential for Puck in the future.
There are other kinds of elf species though. A new one "tagging along" would be really interesting, like, say the mysterious dwarves.

Serpico doesn't need a love interest IMO. If anything it will keep him level headed. Girls are trouble. :slan: Serpico is a tactician, he knows it's bad enough worrying for Farnese. Anymore *gurls* can only mean less focus! He needs to stay sharp and sly.
Yeah, but clearly *gurls* have been pretty integral to Serpico's motivations thus far. Farnese has essentially defined his entire development. I think a healthy relationship would be nice for him. Someone that can keep pace with him and share feelings with. To make his character simply forge ahead into battle seems pretty boring to me.

Saephon said:
What I'm looking forward to most with Casca's revival, other than the event itself, is Farnese being relieved of her duties in protecting her. To focus fully on her magic training :daiba:
That's a double-edged sword though, and potentially a dangerous prospect. Caring for Casca is Farnese's primary duty. Remember how she's reminded of how important she is by Roderick in vol 33? Anyway, once that's relinquished, it wouldn't be unforeseen if she spiraled back down into her self-loathing and self-pity. But now that she has magic to direct her purposes, I can't honestly imagine it will be a problem for her.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
There are other kinds of elf species though. A new one "tagging along" would be really interesting, like, say the mysterious dwarves.

It might be far-fetched, but maybe they'll meet the dwarf/dwarves who forged the Berserk's Armor?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
It might be far-fetched, but maybe they'll meet the dwarf/dwarves who forged the Berserk's Armor?
I dont think they'd have to meet the exact same dwarves in order for a commentary to be made on it by some inhabitants of Elfhelm.

Though that would make for a funny scene...

"That armor you're wearing ... It's...! RRRRRRUUUUUUUUUN! :magni: "

Rhombaad said:

I agree with Walter on that one, though it would be pretty cool if it were the case.

Maybe if they do run into some dwarfs, they could build him a new armor with some type of regulator, to keep him sane? :ganishka:
Not to mention, it's been, what, around 8 volumes now he's had the same armor? Pretty long streak for Guts, if you ask me. Though, to be fair, he had his last armor from Godot for 9, so... :troll:

Aazealh said:
A magic user whose style would differ from Schierke's?

:daiba:

I'm allowed to dream, aren't I? :ganishka:

Walter said:

I'm very much interested in Berserk's dwarves. I definitely hope they're touched upon once the group reaches Skellig.

Edited to add: In the episode The Astral World of volume 24, as Flora is explaining the various layers of the world, it shows an image of magical creatures including trolls and elves. In the grass there's a Pikaf-looking creature and another creature that looks sort of like a lanky gnome wielding an axe. I've often wondered if the gnome-looking creature was a dwarf. I wouldn't mind it at all if Miura's dwarves looked like him, but he's probably just some random mythical creature.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Imperator Perpetuo said:
In the grass there's a Pikaf-looking creature and another creature that looks sort of like a lanky gnome wielding an axe. I've often wondered if the gnome-looking creature was a dwarf. I wouldn't mind it at all if Miura's dwarves looked like him, but he's probably just some random mythical creature.

Probably, eh? Just for info, those guys first showed up in volume 14, episode 92, when SK mentioned Godot's mine. Remember who's said to have inhabited said mine? :slan:

Dwarves.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I dont think they'd have to meet the exact same dwarves in order for a commentary to be made on it by some inhabitants of Elfhelm.

Though that would make for a funny scene...

"That armor you're wearing ... It's...! RRRRRRUUUUUUUUUN! :magni: "

Haha, yeah it doesn't have to be the exact same dwarves. If they do run into some dwarves with knowledge of the Berserker Armor, it would be nice if they could provide a temporary solution to the problems caused by wearing the armor, or at least help Guts get a better handle on it himself.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Rhombaad said:
Haha, yeah it doesn't have to be the exact same dwarves. If they do run into some dwarves with knowledge of the Berserker Armor, it would be nice if they could provide a temporary solution to the problems caused by wearing the armor, or at least help Guts get a better handle on it himself.

"Ahh that armor? Sure, we have learned to patch out its evilness, but we are running short on supplies. If your willing, we need to get some adamantite ore and some sun tear's but those pesky kobold's are hording them all! Please collect 5 ore and 5 sun tear's"

Accept quest ?

:troll:

I got nothing other then I need more Berserk. Luckily (unluckily?) I have the lower tier manga's to kind of keep me occupied while we wait.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I got nothing other then I need more Berserk. Luckily (unluckily?) I have the lower tier manga's to kind of keep me occupied while we wait.

I first got into manga and anime when I was ten years old. Twelve years later, and I can barely tolerate reading anything other than Berserk and Vagabond (though I'm definitely gonna check out Slam Dunk). I almost long for the ignorance and lower standards of yesteryear. Fortunately I have a huge backlog of video games to keep me company between episodes. :guts:

On topic though, and this is purely speculative, I don't expect Guts to obtain any new armor or Super-Awesome Reforged Helm of Sweetness. From this point on, I expect his remaining growth in power to be mostly mental and physical control/utilization of the Berserk armor. Though a little related help in the form of Elf magic couldn't hurt. :slan:

Top Bottom