Episode 311

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Mad Angel Loki said:
(Wow it's been a long time)
3 weeks
and..

Hmm, a mysterious village where none of the townsfolk will talk them, it's on an island in the middle of the ocean, and at the end we see what looks like an ancient looking, giant creature's eye...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, that definitely went somewhere I didn't expect. :???:

Like Aaz, I wouldn't assume this is Skellig until it's confirmed, since it wasn't much of a grand entrance and Puck or Schierke didn't seem to have much comment on it. As for the mysterious girl, townsfolk, and the sleeping monster... yeah, it doesn't look very natural or wholesome, but fitting of this brave new world. =)

Dar Klink said:
at the end we see what looks like an ancient looking, giant creature's eye...

I think it might be more than an eye. To me it looks like multiple eyes (closed) in a row with a mouth at the bottom. Maybe that's just me though :casca:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Great to have a new episode in our screens! That last pic of the monster kinda reminds me a mix of an octopus and a jellyfish, or is it another massive creature that's even where Isidro and that girl were looking at that cave?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
Great to have a new episode in our screens! That last pic of the monster kinda reminds me a mix of an octopus and a jellyfish, or is it another massive creature that's even where Isidro and that girl were looking at that cave?

My first guess was that the idol in the village is being offered tributes (fishes) so that the actual giant monster dwelling in the cave won't destroy the village.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I truly hate to make a DBZ reference in regard to a masterpiece like Berserk, but "Fake Namek" is coming to mind if this really isn't Skellig...

Then again, even if this isn't Skellig, I'm positive we'll encounter some fantastic characters and situations.

It's only fake namek if they have all been led to beleive they are on Skellig when in fact they aren't.

Is anyone thinking back to Mortal Kombat Mythos? Remember in MK 3 or the Mortal Kombat Annihilation when the wolds merged. Not just creatures from outworld, but also structures and landscapes from outworld began appearing on Earth. Perhaps this entire island is from another plane of existence?

So far we've seen one structure(Falconia) but at this point nothing has suggested it was already in existence in another plane.

Just some initial thoughts.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Uh, I'm going to go out on a limb and say these supposed parallels are only coming to your minds, and not to stifle anyone's creativity, but you should probably hate to make these references a little more, like at least enough not to make them. =)

Aazealh said:
My first guess was that the idol in the village is being offered tributes (fishes) so that the actual giant monster dwelling in the cave won't destroy the village.

Beat me to that one, and the cave is definitely what interests me most, I'm even a little worried about the ship depending on what comes out of there, or maybe it's just the creepy village and its unfriendly inhabitants.

I guess we agree that the place reminds us of the RE4 village. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Title is "solitary island".

Rough summary: The boss emphatically tells our friends that they'll die, but then the pirates run off because it's dawn. He says that next time will be the final battle, etc. Roderick is wondering why they became a ghost ship. The chief navigator mentions the "strange wind" (still referring to the astral wave) as a possible explanation. The ship is sinking because of the damage it suffered. They reach the island, and Schierke says there's a sinister Od about the entire island, asks Guts if he feels something strange (he does), and advises against staying there. However they must fix the ship, so it is inevitable. The fishing girl warns Isidro and Puck that the cave is dangerous, and tells them not to approach. It's forbidden to enter it because the "sea god" lives in there. Not related but she's interested in Puck (because he's an elf).

Gobolatula said:
I truly hate to make a DBZ reference in regard to a masterpiece like Berserk

Then don't make one. :miura:

Jaze1618 said:
Is anyone thinking back to Mortal Kombat Mythos?

You... I... :mozgus:

Jaze1618 said:
Perhaps this entire island is from another plane of existence?

That's a possibility.

グリフィス said:
Beat me to that one, and the cave is definitely what interests me most, I'm even a little worried about the ship depending on what comes out of there, or maybe it's just the creepy village and its unfriendly inhabitants.

Yeah, same here. My first concern is for Isidro and Puck, then for the ship itself.

グリフィス said:
I guess we agree that the place reminds us of the RE4 village.

Most definitely. :guts:

And though it's obvious, I would feel bad if I didn't mention that the island is reminiscent of H. P. Lovecraft's stories. Sinister isolated village, evil sea god, etc.

A little bonus from uncle Aaz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspidochelone said:
According to the tradition of the Physiologus and medieval bestiaries, the aspidochelone is a fabled sea creature, variously described as a large whale or sea turtle, that is as large as an island. [...] It rises to the surface from the depths of the sea, and entices unwitting sailors to make landfall on its huge shell.

Dar_Klink

Awesome, thanks for the summary Aaz! and Puella too?
I'm wondering at this point if the fisher girl will be a major character or if she'll just be this part of the story's Jill, Luca, Nina, etc.
Aazealh said:
And though it's obvious, I would feel bad if I didn't mention that the island is reminiscent of H. P. Lovecraft's stories. Sinister isolated village, evil sea god, etc.
but... I said that already too :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
I'm wondering at this point if the fisher girl will be a major character or if she'll just be this part of the story's Jill, Luca, Nina, etc.but...

Yeah I was wondering about that as well. Currently I'm more inclined to see her as a minor character, but you never know...

Dar Klink said:
I said that already too :sad:

You mentioned Lovecraft?

Dar_Klink

Aazealh said:
Yeah I was wondering about that as well. Currently I'm more inclined to see her as a minor character, but you never know...
Yeah, same here, she might be a good source of character interaction between Shierke and Isidro for a bit. Might start seeing some jealousy on Schierke's part or maybe Isidro trying to mess with her in that way and more of a :schierke: from Schierke.

Aazealh said:
You mentioned Lovecraft?
Well, I thought I was heavily implying it... guess I'm just too subtle for my own good. :troll:

I may have missed this if it has already been mentioned, but i'm curious as to why Isidro felt the need to abandon the group to look in the cave?

Dar_Klink

JezzaX said:
I may have missed this if it has already been mentioned, but i'm curious as to why Isidro felt the need to abandon the group to look in the cave?
Probably to stretch his legs and get into mischief, like usual. :isidro:

Yeah, I guess it's typical Isidro going off to get himself in trouble again.

I also find the possibility of the creature being a "aspidochelone" as you mentioned Aaz an interesting one, since my fiancée has been reading Terry Pratchett recently and it has come up in several discussions about the use of the turtle in other stories such as Golden Axe from the old Mega Drive/Genesis days. Maybe it could be used to move the island and take them to the 'real' Skellig?....just a thought

Damn it's good to see this.

Question though - has it been menioned or implied that there are, actually, any villagers, other than the one girl seen and mentioned so far? It occurs to me that the girl could very much be inseperable from the monster. :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Question though - has it been menioned or implied that there are, actually, any villagers, other than the one girl seen and mentioned so far?

Yeah, you see shadowy figures inside the houses that close their window/door without talking to the group.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Wow this ep is beautiful. Wow. And that thing is a great design. It creeps me all the hell out. And I LOVE the atmosphere. It's so easy to imagine being there.

Also HOORAY CEPHALOPIRATES LIVE! :ubik:

I want to see cephalopirates return for revenge in the night and end up in a fight with the cave monster by accident. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great ep, and indeed a startling change of pace. Given the anticlimactic reveal we got as they landed on this island, I'm withdrawing my original idea that this is Skellig. This place seems to have its own story to tell. It could be something as simple as "old superstitions became reality with the merging of worlds," as the villagers are now forced to give fish to a hungry SEA GOD. Or something completely unprecedented. Aaz has a cool thought with the Aspidochelone.

A great moment for me was Page 05, seeing Guts so cool, casual and confident after a fight. It's been a loooong time, literally years (7 to be exact), since we've seen him in this kind of shape -- since before the Berserker Armor. I hope he can maintain this condition for a while. It was also good to see Schierke and Guts exchange some words about the sudden change with the wind.

I look forward to that reveal. :daiba:

Despite all the discussion about the girl, I don't think she'll be anything too special. So far she's simply our window into the inhabitants of this strange island. But if Guts and Co. bring her along when chaos inevitably breaks out and they have to make a quick getaway, I certainly won't complain. I'll always welcome a new member to the cast(aways). *YUK YUK*

Oh yeah, one thing that stuck out to me about this episode was the use of emoticon-like faces in speech bubbles.

berserk-emoticons.jpg

I can't remember the last time they were used so prominently and consecutively (3 on one page). And it was only a few months ago that we mailed Miura that emoticon bookmark. Just sayin' ... :slan:

Top Bottom