Episode 312

geo jee

"Almost black..slightly white swordsman."
WOW..a new Episode...yet strange change in the way I thought the plot was going to be...but that's Miura after all...the Best.

Aazealh said:
By the way, notice how the villagers all stay inside? It's not just because they don't like strangers: they're vulnerable to sunlight, like all evil spirits.

So is this like an EVIL ISLAND or something..that's strange that Schierke and Guts didn't even say something about them while walking by.
I mean at least Casca would cry or scream..I know there was an Evil Od but didn't consider the villagers to be like that.

Aazealh said:
Undines usually look different, so I think they're unique to Isma.

So She is really not human.
she could be an apostle, I wish she is a good character though...like to see a new comer to the group. :daiba:

Aazealh said:
Undines usually look different, so I think they're unique to Isma.

Sounds good to me. I figured that wasn't them, but I wanted to double-check with those more intelligent than myself.

I'm very excited to see how this plays out. I was one of those who believed that the pirates probably had nothing to do with the island or its god. It's really surprising, and great, to see them connected. This new girl has my full attention. I'm very interested in finding out more about her, or rather her nature, as well as the Sea God itself. There was a feeling of "creepiness" that the island provoked in the last episode. That feeling has only been amplified. There's also the dread that comes at the thought of what will happen should they find themselves still on the island once the sun sets.

This is such a great episode. It's so exciting. I can't stop thinking about it. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
geo jee said:
So is this like an EVIL ISLAND or something..that's strange that Schierke and Guts didn't even say something about them while walking by.

I mean at least Casca would cry or scream..I know there was an Evil Od but didn't consider the villagers to be like that.
Think back to the conversation between Guts and Schierke last episode for the answer.

geo jee

Walter said:
Think back to the conversation between Guts and Schierke last episode for the answer.

no I meant that they didn't speak about the villagers themselves, they only talked about the ISLAND while walking by them, like if they felt that the villagers were EVIL, they would have done something other than talking.

besides, Guts said that if a major thing comes in the way, he would feel it, but he seem to have missed Isma, or whatever her name is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
Since Aaz already pointed out that they're all in danger, I wonder if the people will attack right away after the sun sets? And how much Isma and Schierke will talk about?

Well they could even start attacking the group right now since they're inside the inn. Of course I imagine they will only get stronger once the night falls. As for Isma and Schierke, whatever happens it promises to be very interesting.

geo jee said:

...Are you serious? Schierke commented on it in the previous episode. Guts' brand was bleeding abundantly. How clearer could it be? And it's not really the island itself that's evil, but the being that has made it its lair...

geo jee said:
she could be an apostle

:schierke: No.

Imperator Perpetuo said:
This new girl has my full attention. I'm very interested in finding out more about her, or rather her nature, as well as the Sea God itself. There was a feeling of "creepiness" that the island provoked in the last episode. That feeling has only been amplified. There's also the dread that comes at the thought of what will happen should they find themselves still on the island once the sun sets.

Yup. And this new girl that everyone already likes... Might be a casualty of the battle to come.

geo jee said:
no I meant that they didn't speak about the villagers themselves, they only talked about the ISLAND while walking by them, like if they felt that the villagers were EVIL, they would have done something other than talking.

Schierke said a powerful Od covered the whole island. That speaks of a tremendous power. The villagers are small fry in comparison so it's really not that surprising.

geo jee said:
besides, Guts said that if a major thing comes in the way, he would feel it, but he seem to have missed Isma, or whatever her name is.

She didn't get anywhere close to him. You should pay a little more attention man.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
My favorite scene has to be them in the Inn/Bar, I was thinking the same thing as Guts when looking over their new townie friends. :ganishka:

Also, it's even creepier that these freaks aren't attacking them, but just sort of avoiding the issue... for some reason that more than anything makes me wonder if Isma isn't the God(dess) herself, keeping her forces at bay while she satisfies her curiosity about these new visitors... though I still lean toward the idea of her being another, more benevolent, spirit or medium (like Aaz said, perhaps daylight is what's keeping things mellow in the village =).

BTW, seeing the shark jaws on the wall made me hope it was foreshadowing of a shark God, of course, the tentacled idol belies that idea, then it hit me...

sharktopus3.jpg

SHARKTOPUS!

P.S. That's not a closed eye on the idol, it's a closed mouth. :guts:

geo jee

Aazealh said:
...Are you serious? Schierke commented on it in the previous episode. Guts' brand was bleeding abundantly. How clearer could it be? And it's not really the island itself that's evil, but the being that has made it its lair...

then how could they just walk by..that's all I am saying if you feel danger threat of the villagers why,walk by, asking for help to find an inn?

Aazealh said:
Schierke said a powerful Od covered the whole island. That speaks of a tremendous power. The villagers are small fry in comparison so it's really not that surprising.

That's my point, why then letting the group walk by them?

Aazealh said:
She didn't get anywhere close to him. You should pay a little more attention man.

Guts usually feels Evil Ods when they are away, remember the skeleton wheels in Vol.18, and besides, if She is a Sea Goddess, she doesn't need to come any close.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
geo jee said:
then how could they just walk by..that's all I am saying if you feel danger threat of the villagers why,walk by, asking for help to find an inn?

Schierke did not feel that the villagers were a threat, but that a threatening Od enveloped the island. Like I said.

geo jee said:
That's my point, why then letting the group walk by them?

No, that's not your point. And Schierke warned them, but they had no choice. Seriously, please carefully re-read episode 311.

geo jee said:
Guts usually feels Evil Ods when they are away, remember the skeleton wheels in Vol.18

Remember episode 311 when Guts said the Brand didn't allow him to feel the presence of evil as sharply as before.

geo jee said:
besides, if She is a Sea Goddess, she doesn't need to come any close.

We don't know what she is. I doubt she's the "Sea God" personally. In any case, the fact Guts didn't detect her presence invalidates the point you're trying to make.

geo jee

Aazealh said:
We don't know what she is. I doubt she's the "Sea God" personally. In any case, the fact Guts didn't detect her presence invalidates the point you're trying to make.

If she is a major threat or Od, she is actually validating your point that Guts' Brand didn't allow him to feel the presence of evil as sharply as before.

what I am trying to say, he can't feel her (which I greatly believe she is a BIG entity) normally as he used with others before, due to the merging.

and Aaz I'm not trying to say you are wrong, so just have mercy on me, man.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm wondering if they defeat the Sea God here, and all the townsfolk(that are still alive :troll:) go back to normal, if the pirates will go back to normal...
Perhaps the last meeting with them won't be a giant fight, their ship is already wrecked, and without the creature inhabiting it, it will most likely sink. Maybe they'll run into them on the wreckage of their ship as they leave Elfhelm? Or maybe they'll wash ashore Skellig? :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
geo jee said:
If she is a major threat or Od, she is actually validating your point that Guts' Brand didn't allow him to feel the presence of evil as sharply as before.

Well like I said I don't think she's a threat, but she's obviously not simply a random girl either (Schierke's reaction was pretty brutal). I think she probably is quite powerful, but not enough that Guts could feel her presence over the Sea God's Od from a distance (especially since the Brand works best when it comes to detecting evil, and I don't think she's evil).

geo jee said:
what I am trying to say, he can't feel her (which I greatly believe she is a BIG entity) normally as he used with others before, due to the merging.

I think it's a little more complicated than that, see what I said above.

geo jee said:
and Aaz I'm not trying to say you are wrong, so just have mercy on me, man.

But... I already am being merciful. :casca:

Dar Klink said:
I'm wondering if they defeat the Sea God here, and all the townsfolk(that are still alive :troll:) go back to normal, if the pirates will go back to normal... Perhaps the last meeting with them won't be a giant fight, their ship is already wrecked, and without the creature inhabiting it, it will most likely sink. Maybe they'll run into them on the wreckage of their ship as they leave Elfhelm? Or maybe they'll wash ashore Skellig? :casca:

Would be pretty funny to see. :ganishka: Someone mentioned the pirates from the Astérix series in the previous thread and that would be reminiscent of their usual fate.

Y'know, it's possible that what the villagers have turned into could simply be something neutral, closer to semi-intelligent wild animal than 'monster out for carnage and blood' or 'human' - I'm really eager for the translation before I try to say anything intelligent on the matter - and y'know, those mini-tentacles that Schierke admit /were/ kind of cute... :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
I'm wondering if they defeat the Sea God here, and all the townsfolk(that are still alive :troll:) go back to normal, if the pirates will go back to normal...
The pirates were likely killed before or while they were turned into monsters though. From Ep 311: 'Boss: You bastards disrespect the dead! You'll be cursed!!'

So even if Guts and Co. manage to kill the source of the curse, them returning to normal humans after that seems unlikely to me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Y'know, it's possible that what the villagers have turned into could simply be something neutral, closer to semi-intelligent wild animal than 'monster out for carnage and blood' or 'human'

The pirates have retained a somewhat high level of intelligence though, and weren't very friendly. I guess the villagers could be naturally non-aggressive, but what we see of them in this episode doesn't make me think it's the case.

True, but they were pirates to begin with, not villagers. Not that villagers can't be ruthless - but, if nothing else, the fact that they didn't attack them in the in has gotten me very intrigued.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Random speculation, but I wonder if there's more to the cave than we saw so far. Maybe it leads to a deeper territory within the astral world... Kind of like the Qliphoth. Although for a "Sea God" that would imply somewhere underwater.

Bekul said:
True, but they were pirates to begin with, not villagers. Not that villagers can't be ruthless - but, if nothing else, the fact that they didn't attack them in the in has gotten me very intrigued.

Think of what would be the most interesting though:

1) The villagers think they have the intruders trapped inside and attack them.
2) Nothing happens.

I rest my case. :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got to see the episode after being stuck at work for a while. The villagers sure are creepy... I'm wondering about this strange girl. She's so enthusiastic and odd, I was thinking that maybe she's new to the world above the sea. Perhaps before the merging, she was trapped under the ocean. And with that newfound freedom, she's excited about everything above the sea.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
maybe she's new to the world above the sea. Perhaps before the merging, she was trapped under the ocean. And with that newfound freedom, she's excited about everything above the sea.

Yeah, I think her behavior and interests pretty much give it away. If so, it will make it all the more interesting to see whether she sticks around or goes back to whence she came once it'll be all over (that is, if she survives).

Weird town...that tavern's/inn's sign looks like it features a symbol version of a "devil whale" that we saw in episode 308, underneath the jug. And yeah, that astral pic of Isma does give a mermaid impression...maybe she's a sea nymph

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Fantastic episode. I gotta say, the whole end portion was a breath of fresh air with all the hilarity, joke-wise and art-wise. My favorite part of the whole episode is Schierke looking through Isidro's eyes and seeing titties right in his/her face. Her expression is priceless.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Heh! She's Ponyo! Seriously some of those expressions really look like Miura's version of a Miyazaki girl.
(The one on p18 especially. that is like THE excited Miyazaki girl face.)

LOVING this story arc. SO HARD.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I noticed that too! something about her eye shape and her really eager/overly happy expression made me think of ghibli girls. This is getting really interesting...

However, I don't think she's actually transformed. It looks more like Schierke's seeing her true self through her "astral vision" like someone else said. I can't wait to see where this leads...and how she's possibly linked to the sea god.

There's something fishy a'brewin... :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You know, reading this episode (and the previous one) I can't help but be amazed at Miura's talent for creating tangible atmospheres, specifically in this case how he depicts the tavern. It's just wonderfully executed, and it reminded me of the ball in volume 30 when the tigers attack and the lights go off.

I also love the little shot of the sea cucumber tentacles rising from the water on page 14. Anyway, I was thinking back about the wave that sends Isidro down on page 2 yesterday, and I'm wondering if it's not something Isma did herself to prevent him from going further into the cave.

Lithrael said:
Heh! She's Ponyo! Seriously some of those expressions really look like Miura's version of a Miyazaki girl.
(The one on p18 especially. that is like THE excited Miyazaki girl face.)

You know what makes you think so? It's her eyes. Their roundness. :slan:

Aphasia said:
However, I don't think she's actually transformed. It looks more like Schierke's seeing her true self through her "astral vision" like someone else said.

Yeah, she's definitely not transformed; I don't even know how one could think that given the way it's brought up.

Top Bottom