Episode 315

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Title: 触手船 - The tentacled ship​

Guess who's back? :carcus:

In other news, Berserk won't be in the next issue of YA.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is certainly unexpected! What the hell is Guts thinking, unleashing that thing... And after that talk with the Beast on the ship. I guess that was all just a bunch of baloney! :sad:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
This is certainly unexpected! What the hell is Guts thinking, unleashing that thing... And after that talk with the Beast on the ship. I guess that was all just a bunch of baloney! :sad:
Maybe it will be a lead-in to the need for a rescue from somebody a bit more powerful than Schierke? :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Yup, looks like he's not ready yet... We'll see how things will turn out, but who's going to bail him out this time, and how? Will Isma and Schierke have to team up to pull him out, considering that he's surrounded by the sea during a full moon, just like he was on the beach in volume 28? The last time it took an in extremis intervention from the Moonlight Boy to prevent something tragic... Will Schierke be up to the task this time?

That being said, the creature within the ship (a sort of monstrous crustacean or maybe a sea slug?) looks really huge, so he might just not have had any other choice. Thing completely dwarfs the sea cucumbers in those shots.

Anyway, it's confirmed that the humans who are eaten by the monsters are turned into tentacles. Literally assimilated, in every sense of the word. :magni:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
(a sort of monstrous crustacean or maybe a sea slug?)
giantsnail.jpg

It must be the GIANT CHUPACABRA SNAIL! Winner of a 2007 hoax photo contest... :troll:
It does bear an uncannily striking resemblance, maybe Miura has seen this guy's stuff?
http://www.roguetaxidermy.com/members_detail.php?id=528

Oooh, this looks exciting, I've been putting off reading the recent releases from 313 so I can read them all in one big chunk, but looking at the teasers I can at least get excited. I guess this could be a time to see what Isma can do, or hopefully (although unlikely) an excuse for Skully to appear out of nowhere just so it can lead to a conversation with Guts about Griffith and Falconia.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
It must be the GIANT CHUPACABRA SNAIL! Winner of a 2007 hoax photo contest... :troll:

Hehehe, that thing definitely bears a strong resemblance to the "paws" the tentacles made back when the first sea cucumber attacked the Sea Horse. Maybe Miura stumbled on that Takeshi Yamada fellow's work? Or maybe they based themselves on the same weird creatures... Damn, I wish I could remember exactly what that thing inside the ship reminds me of in that panel...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Awww crap, there he goes. Poor Guts. :sad:

The ship's eyes remind me of the slug count's. As for Berserk not being in the next YA, I kinda figured that'd be the case. Three episodes in a row has been the typical run this last year or so.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
The ship's eyes remind me of the slug count's.

Yeah, same here. Maybe it's a sort of nudibranch? Crabs and the like have relatively similar-looking eyes, but with shorter stalks.

Rhombaad said:
As for Berserk not being in the next YA, I kinda figured that'd be the case. Three episodes in a row has been the typical run this last year or so.

But let's have hope! It might be a short break!

...I want to believe. :SK:

Wow, those eyestalks are an interesting turn. I wonder what the creature looks like... I'm guessing it'll either look like a monstrous sea snail or a monstrous hermit crab. Both creatures have eyestalks (or eyestalk-like eyes) and both could be using the ship as a shell. Although it'd be cool if it was a trilobite since that'd make it seem far more ancient... but that's pretty unlikely, I'd think.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Hermit crabs and the like have eyes on hard stalks though. For tentacle eyes you can't beat a conch.

http://www.arkive.org/queen-conch/strombus-gigas/image-G2350.html

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Walter said:

You mean the sentence when the Beast of Darkness tells to Guts that its power will be restrained until the chains will be broken?

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Wow...It's pretty obvious Miura has done his research on sea creatures.

Gobolatula said:
Berserker Guts is looking amazing. Here's to hoping he doesn't get hurt too bad!

I know, he looks especially badass in those panels for some reason. I love the way his cape is falling over his shoulder armor, with the draping between the curves...Ugh, so pretty!

I'm also a bit surprised to see Guts making use of the armors power. It looked like he had things under control, for the most part.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Gobolatula said:
Berserker Guts is looking amazing. Here's to hoping he doesn't get hurt too bad!
I hope he doesn't hurt anybody on his crew :troll:

JezzaX said:
or hopefully (although unlikely) an excuse for Skully to appear out of nowhere just so it can lead to a conversation with Guts about Griffith and Falconia.
can skull knight cross oceans? or moonlight boy for that matter.

Oh shit. Beast mode. No Schierke. No Moonlight Boy. If Guts loses himself, again, to the armor it may be up to Farnese to give a rescue a try. Good thing Schierke taught her how to have an out of body experience. Something tells me Farnese isn't quite ready to go in and rescue Guts' ego.

Enter: :SK:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Maybe we're not giving Guts enough credit, maybe he can pull himself out. If he wants to prove something, then pulling himself out of the armor's influence would be something to prove. (that's what I'm hoping)

Truder said:
Maybe we're not giving Guts enough credit, maybe he can pull himself out. If he wants to prove something, then pulling himself out of the armor's influence would be something to prove. (that's what I'm hoping)

Dude, he's 0 for 3. That's bad, even for Guts. Of course it'd be something to see him "pull himself out", but if he did this it would negate the danger aspect of using the armor from here on out. I hope he masters it one day, but I seriously doubt he'll master it on this occasion.

Also, I'm doubting whether or not :SK: is even capable of rescuing Guts' ego. I mean, he did lose himself to the armor at one time. It's all on :schierke:, :farnese:, or the new chick. (I really doubt she's qualified to pull off a Guts-ego-rescue.)

Now it's possible the Beast will voluntarily relinquish his hold on Guts after all the nasties have been slain. But why would he?
Oh, so many questions and possibilities.

BiQ_

" ... "
You know what? I actually hope Guts does not yet get to master controlling the Beast. Maybe one day, but things would be IMHO much more interesting if the Beast stays an uncontrollable thing for now. :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I'm hoping there'll be a date at the end of the episode.

Don't hold your breath. If it were the case I think we'd know about it.

Marik said:
You mean the sentence when the Beast of Darkness tells to Guts that its power will be restrained until the chains will be broken?

Yes. Not really a conversation, more of a monologue. Not to mention that Guts couldn't remember what the dream was about.

Aphasia said:
I'm also a bit surprised to see Guts making use of the armors power. It looked like he had things under control, for the most part.

Yeah... It strikes me as pretty similar to what happened when all the Makara showed up in volume 31. An overwhelming challenge appears and he instantly resorts to the armor without trying to fight without it first. It's a worrying pattern for him, because it's much too dangerous to be relied upon like that (as Farnese reminded him in episode 314).

Proj2501 said:
If Guts loses himself, again, to the armor it may be up to Farnese to give a rescue a try. Good thing Schierke taught her how to have an out of body experience. Something tells me Farnese isn't quite ready to go in and rescue Guts' ego.

Yeah, it seems too early for Farnese to try something like that. Besides, Schierke should be able to get to him in her astral form even from a distance. It might be more difficult, but they're not that far away.

Truder said:
Maybe we're not giving Guts enough credit, maybe he can pull himself out. If he wants to prove something, then pulling himself out of the armor's influence would be something to prove.

Honestly I don't see him dominating the armor's effects on his own at this point. But since the Beast is laying low, he might have an easier time getting back to his senses, which would eventually lead him to a false sense of security with the armor ("It's getting easier to control it!"). Very dangerous in the long run.

Nothing's done at this point though. It's all a matter of whether the armor can overpower its wearer's mind even when he's (more or less) at peace. For all we know the worst could happen. The nameless guys accompanying Roderick might not make it back to the ship for example.

Proj2501 said:
Also, I'm doubting whether or not :SK: is even capable of rescuing Guts' ego.

Yeah, nothing in the manga suggests that the Skull Knight is capable of such a feat.

Proj2501 said:
Now it's possible the Beast will voluntarily relinquish his hold on Guts after all the nasties have been slain. But why would he?

You should be careful not to always equate the Berserk's armor with the Beast of Darkness. It's the armor that is blinding Guts in that case, fanning the flames of his fear, rage, hatred, etc. while obscuring the rest. It's what it does, how it works.

Because the Beast of Darkness is a psychological character representing a certain part of Guts it can be hard to know how to interpret its attitude, but maybe what it said in episode 290 implies that Guts will be less receptive to the armor's Od and less likely to blindly kill his friends without even realizing what he's doing. Or maybe not. :beast:

BiQ-- said:
things would be IMHO much more interesting if the Beast stays an uncontrollable thing for now. :beast:

Of course, but on the other hand it's not the first time they're in this situation. So far it's nothing new, just different monsters.

Th3Branded0ne said:
At least I hope to see Guts destroy the ship while the effects are there, and see the real shape of this creature.

I have to admit I'm dying to see what it is. The damn thing's been eluding us for almost a year now!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm actually not surprised by the Beast armor use. Aaz made a good call comparing it to the Makara situation before, it reminded me of that before we even saw him transform, the situation being so overwhelming it would be surprising if he didn't have to use it. I hope it doesn't follow the same routine though and we see some more consequences from this continual use of the armor. Aaz's idea about some of Roderick's red shirts getting killed by Guts would certainly satisfy that requirement.

Anyway, look at all those slugs! :guts:

P.S. I really like the shot of the armor, third panel from the bottom.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Slugs. Slugs everywhere! Man, it's looking pretty hopeless. No wonder Guts used the armor... Anyway, from that shot of the Beast, it's looking like it's staying quiet? Hard to say for sure without seeing the whole episode. I'm also not sure, but it looks like the sea cucumbers are connected to the slugs? If so, are these then going to be connected to the Sea God? :ganishka:

Top Bottom