Episode 318

Griffith said:
Perhaps not, I have no idea what their status is at this point though. What about "contacted?" =)

Well we know for sure that the Merrows sealed the sea god somewhere within the island. Maybe they will get alerted if he escapes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uh-oh, the Brand's bleeding for real this time.

Roderick says he's never seen anything like Farnese' spell despite having traveled a lot (it's compared to an aurora in terms of looks). Guts asks Farnese to guard the others, telling her she's their protection. Schierke tells Farnese to keep the ship under her consciousness. Unless the light disappears, no evil being may approach their "headquarters". But against non-astral beings, its power is reduced. Guts decides to get going. Isidro complains he should protect women and children because he wants to fight the Sea God as well. Guts gives him a speech about what it means to be a warrior. Schierke says she wants to handle that problem with magic as much as possible, but that the Od coming from the cave is too strong. Since this island is completely controlled by the Sea God, no spiritual power can reach there. So it all falls on Guts' shoulders, basically. And to help him, there's no other way for her than to climb on him (Ivalera likes the idea). She then comments on the armor and such. After it's done, Farnese asks if Guts can recognize them, to which he answers that he's sane and that they shouldn't be worried. Isma hears the same strange sounds she had heard before coming from the sea.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That first spread is ridiculously gorgeous, and I wonder what the child and Isma are noticing in the water (or is the child noticing her), something to do with Merrows?

Rus said:
Well we know for sure that the Merrows sealed the sea god somewhere within the island. Maybe they will get alerted if he escapes.

I meant their status in the astral world, particularly after the merger. Are they actually physically swimming around (looks like something is out there), or do they only exist as spirits in a deeper layer at this point.

Aazealh said:
Uh-oh, the Brand's bleeding for real this time.

Yeah, no more kidding around, big evil afoot.

Aazealh said:
You know what I'd like to see? Guts & Schierke overwhelmed by the Sea God. :void:

What a cliffhanger indeed. I think they just might be considering the fact of how much his brand is bleeding. It's almost as if one of the God Hand members were to show up. I have been wondering though, since the other members of the God Hand can now remain in the world without having to take an etheral form, will they be able to have a human form or remain as they are now?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Sounds like an suspenseful complication to me. :guts:

Well, according to what Schierke says in the episode it seems it won't happen this time around.

Griffith said:
That first spread is ridiculously gorgeous, and I wonder what the child and Isma are noticing in the water (or is the child noticing her), something to do with Merrows?

Either the merrows or something related to the Sea God that'll try to attack the ship. I'm inclined to say it's merrows. Would make sense for them to have been headed this way as soon as they could to prevent the Sea God from rising to power once more. As for the boy, he felt whatever is coming a second before her. A subtle way to reiterate that he's to be taken very seriously.

Griffith said:
I meant their status in the astral world, particularly after the merger. Are they actually physically swimming around (looks like something is out there), or do they only exist as spirits in a deeper layer at this point.

My personal take is "physically" swimming around. After all Isma's mother could interact with her human father before the worlds even merged. But even putting that aside, I just don't see them being akin to the spirits Schierke summons.

slan69 said:
I have been wondering though, since the other members of the God Hand can now remain in the world without having to take an etheral form, will they be able to have a human form or remain as they are now?

No idea for now. We don't even know to what extent they can now manifest themselves in the world.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Well, according to what Schierke says in the episode it seems it won't happen this time around.

Not possible, or she doesn't want to do it?

Aazealh said:
Either the merrows or something related to the Sea God that'll try to attack the ship. I'm inclined to say it's merrows.

Yeah, that was my first thought because Isma specifically was taking notice. I'll be upset if the pirate ship merely resurfaces instead (though how can it not before this is over =).

Aazealh said:
My personal take is "physically" swimming around. After all Isma's mother could interact with her human father before the worlds even merged. But even putting that aside, I just don't see them being akin to the spirits Schierke summons.

Yeah, I should have been more specific, I wasn't really saying they're like the entities she summons, I was just vaguely thinking she could perhaps sense and contact them if they're around.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Not possible, or she doesn't want to do it?

Not possible.

Griffith said:
Yeah, that was my first thought because Isma specifically was taking notice. I'll be upset if the pirate ship merely resurfaces instead (though how can it not before this is over =).

She mentions it's the same sounds she's been hearing since the worlds merged (which she told Isidro & Schierke about in episode 313), but that doesn't really help us guess what's happening.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Not possible.

Makes sense, since as you pointed out she had to go through the entire ritual before (also, if she loses contact with the armor, she could go back to her body I suppose). I guess we'll find out just what she can do like that then.

Aazealh said:
She mentions it's the same sounds she's been hearing since the worlds merged (which she told Isidro & Schierke about in episode 313), but that doesn't really help us guess what's happening.

Yeah, that's... vague.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Makes sense, since as you pointed out she had to go through the entire ritual before (also, if she loses contact with the armor, she could go back to her body I suppose). I guess we'll find out just what she can do like that then.

It's worth noting that the reason she invokes for not even trying is that the Sea God is simply too powerful. When they fought the Kundalini they were already lucky to have the Blaze Wheel at hands since the snake's control over water was overwhelming. No such luck this time around: they're in the middle of the ocean, and the Sea God is even more powerful than the Kundalini was. To me this is Guts' biggest challenge since he met Slan in the Qliphoth.

Phew... seeing how the brand is bleeding (I would even say, pissing blood), I have a bad feeling about it...
Can't wait to see what the Sea God looks like, it must be enormous.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Wow! Pretty epic episode, one that will surely be remembered along with this whole island adventure. I hope this fight goes several episodes (it should right?) to see a masterpiece of an epic battle. :ubik:

P.S. Have a good Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Aazealh said:

Peeking at the sound effects, it seems to me like the noise Isma hears faintly is pretty much the same noise that Guts and Schierke are hearing close-up? If that's the case, it's probably a safe bet it's the sea-god... Schierke says that unlike her last visit, it's actually awake this time.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Fantastic episode. Man oh man.

The first page really blew my mind. Farnese really is looking good. And more importantly, she is looking like she knows her stuff, more and more. There's something about the way her expressions nowadays that make me think, "Good for you, Farnese." She is looking a lot, A LOT less troubled and worried. She now looks like she's just about defeated most of her insecurities. On that first page, she looks nice and strong. Commanding, but certainly not drunk with power or anything. For instance, look at her face on the last panel of page 1 and think back to any look she would have while barking orders when she was part of The Holy See. Right now she's in a good "middle ground" frame of mind. Neither an in-denial bitchy basket case or a timid follower. :farnese:

I'm proud to say that Farnese kicks ass. This is one of those moments in Berserk for me. I'm thinking, "Look! She's a witch! Finally!" It's still cute to see her get choked up and embarrassed when Guts compliments her. hehe Serpico's look was priceless after that.

Farny definitely stole the episode for me. It was great to see Guts and Schierke teaming up again to bring out the "sane berserker." It's always adorable / heartwarming to me when those two team up. More than anyone else in the group, those two rely on each other. It really makes me wonder how similar Skully and Flora's relationship was. "We were friends, as you two are now," he said. I wonder if a young Flora was jumping on His Majesty's back whenever he was about to go into a slaughtering frenzy.

...As for the cliffhanger ending, I would have to say in terms of cliffhangers, this is pretty brutal. I'm gonna be aching for that next episode for quite a bit! It reminds me of when there was a publication break right after Griffith was on his horse with his sword unsheathed, ready to attack Giant Ganishka.

Oh boy, this episode made my day... I hope this break isn't too long.

Any chance Skull Knight will intervene? The last time Gutts saw him was the last time they saw the Moonlight Boy... I think.

Sorry if this was addressed in previous threads.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Gobolatula said:
Fantastic episode. Man oh man...
... ready to attack Giant Ganishka.

A true fan! I couldn't have put it in better words! WOW Bravo Miura. This one is gonna is gonna stay in my head for a long time!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:
Peeking at the sound effects, it seems to me like the noise Isma hears faintly is pretty much the same noise that Guts and Schierke are hearing close-up? If that's the case, it's probably a safe bet it's the sea-god...

The sound effects do seem similar, however there are a few things that make me think of merrows:

1) The boy and Isma look in another direction, whatever caught their attention is coming from the side, not from the cave.
2) The distance doesn't seem to match between what they're noticing and the entrance of the cave.
3) We're shown bubbles in the water, versus the quiet surface with barely seen ripples from within the cave.
4) The imagery is strikingly different between the very bright water where the bubbles appear and the complete darkness of the cave.

Chrono said:
Any chance Skull Knight will intervene? The last time Guts saw him was the last time they saw the Moonlight Boy... I think.

Last time he left just before the boy showed up. As for him intervening, the number of parties involved makes me think he won't.

Gobolatula said:
For instance, look at her face on the last panel of page 1 and think back to any look she would have while barking orders when she was part of The Holy See. Right now she's in a good "middle ground" frame of mind. Neither an in-denial bitchy basket case or a timid follower. :farnese:

I wouldn't say it's a middle ground actually, because her bevahior while she was commanding the H.I.C.K. was just a facade to conceal the insecurities you mentioned. We'll never see that again since it's not her actual personality. To me it's a continuous evolution from the lowest point towards the highest one.

Gobolatula said:
It really makes me wonder how similar Skully and Flora's relationship was. "We were friends, as you two are now," he said. I wonder if a young Flora was jumping on His Majesty's back whenever he was about to go into a slaughtering frenzy.

I wonder how the armor affected him. Was he always so cold and detached? I like to imagine him having more of a cold fury as opposed to Guts' explosive rage.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Aazealh said:
As for him intervening, the number of parties involved makes me think he won't.
oh man, I can already imagine Magnificos reaction to Skull Knight. :ganishka:

I would love to see Skully show up, but I think that he is preoccupied over at Midland.

... :SK: perhaps SK can ride a SkullDolphin ... and travel to the Battleship ;) ... :magni:

.. seriously it's a nice episode .. too short ...
... I'hope we can see Isma skills in the next episode ...

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
flagawax said:
... :SK: perhaps SK can ride a SkullDolphin ... and travel to the Battleship ;) ... :magni:

Who needs a skulldolphin when he has a magical horse? :ganishka:
flagawax said:
... I'hope we can see Isma skills in the next episode ...

Not sure how many interesting skills she really has. Unless fishing counts...
Perhaps some inherent merrow abilities? But I think all she got from her mother was being a great swimmer.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Man, such a great episode. I agree with Aaz too, apart from the God Hand this is going to be the biggest challenge for Guts that we have seen in the series so far. I mean it's the friggin Sea God!

One of my favorite things from this episode has to be those approving looks from Serpico. I'm not sure what he's saying but I sure as hell know that look :serpico:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
My favorite part of this episode is the last page, I really love how the only thing visible that far into the cave is the water and its ripples. As far as the god goes, I really hope it's a giant magnificent beast, instead of some grotesque monster, that's at least how I'd imagine a god looking like.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Jesterhead said:
Who needs a skulldolphin when he has a magical horse? :ganishka:
who needs a magical horse when you have a magical sword? :badbone:

I'm starting to doubt that the Sea God will be gargantuan.. but I do want to see the island be torn to pieces :guts:
Also, it does look like the merrows are going to appear(i think), so maybe Isma will be playing a bigger role in this and possibly going off with the merrows after all.

Top Bottom