Episode 319

its king Triton

Man, I was thinking the same thing... :farnese:

Well, King Triton definitely stole Poseidon's look anyways, right?

Jokes aside, I am very excited about all this! Kinda reminds me of volume 10 and the glimpse we got of Gaiseric's city at the bottom of the tower.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Staralfur said:
Well, King Triton definitely stole Poseidon's look anyways, right?

No shit. :schierke:

Staralfur said:
Kinda reminds me of volume 10 and the glimpse we got of Gaiseric's city at the bottom of the tower.

Yeah, same feeling really. Let's just hope we get answers this time! :void:

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
OH SHIT the sea god looks awesome :guts:.

Sorry Cthulu seems you're going to have some competition this time :carcus:.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Love the avatar change btw Aaz. That frame answers the question I posed last year, "What might a Sea God say?"

teeth3.jpg

:guts: :schierke:

"DOGOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I don't think we can compare how apostles and astral beings like the Sea God work. An apostle is somewhat anomalous to the natural order, created with an evil ceremony. Whereas the sea god is an astral being invited into this world -- no tricks necessary.

I don't think we can properly compare them because we don't understand the intricacies of how they're different and how they're similar, not the other way around. Despite their clear differences, both may fall into some greater natural order, including evil. Defining what's "natural" and what's not is even more problematic in this new world. On that front, couldn't the merging of the worlds and the (re)appearance of creatures like the Sea God arguably be looked at as the result of one big evil ceremony, contrived and executed by God Hand? Perhaps that defines this world now more than anything else. Or, perhaps not. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:
Now this is fucking interesting. Ancient statues? Holy shit I need to know more! MORE! And inside its mouth... The astral world? Or is that just a graphic effect? Anyway, Guts compares the feeling of the cave to when he visited the Qliphoth!

I'm glad that's mentioned explicitly as it certainly looks that way (your April fool's was prophetic in its own way =). Anyway, as cool as the hugeness of the Sea God is (a giant mouth with tentacles, or is the rest just too big to see!), like others I'm most fascinated by the fallen statue and the potential behind it.

Aazealh said:
Miura's comment is of course about the recent catastrophes in Japan. A translation would be: "Apocalyptic events should only happen in stories".

void.gif

Walter said:
The freakin thing's bigger than the cave!

I'm still hoping it's basically the base of the island. :guts:

Walter said:
Also, that awesome statue... the former Sea God, dethroned and forgotten?

Yeah, a site of worship for the true Sea God, a spirit Schierke could contact for assistance like in Enoch? It makes me wonder about the credentials of the fellow were seeing. Is he the true face of the Sea God, or just the ultimate Sea Monster that displaced him?

Griffith

Death May Die said:
-Looks freaking great!

Reminds me of a Marlboro kinda:
http://www.ffcompendium.com/EspMon/marlboro7-b.jpg

Looks like Miura is once again taking his inspiration from Final Fantasy VII...

seagodmarlboro.jpg

:troll:

Also, I meant to say so after Slan69 first mentioned it, but on a personal note, I hated that fucking thing! Kill 'em for me, Guts! :guts:

turkitage

ターク
oh god.. this is too freakin exciting! Pretty sure I'm going to be in the chat room this Friday after work!! Mr. 1996, terminator - you guys in??

Griffith said:
Looks like Miura is once again taking his inspiration from Final Fantasy VII... :troll:

:ganishka: I laughed pretty hard when I saw that. Nice job.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Awesome! I like how (so far from what we've seen) the tentacles looks like the "beard" of the sea god. On another note, do you think it's bigger then Ganishka's last form before he turned out a tree?

I am also curious to know what the 2 pirates are saying to make the boss hang them like that!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Awesome! I like how (so far from what we've seen) the tentacles looks like the "beard" of the sea god.
And the pirates say as such in this ep, as Aaz said earlier in the thread.

On another note, do you think it's bigger then Ganishka's last form before he turned out a tree?
No, I don't. But how could we possibly have a serious basis for comparison?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
And the pirates say as such in this ep, as Aaz said earlier in the thread.
No, I don't. But how could we possibly have a serious basis for comparison?

I didn't noticed the beard part in aaz's post. It must have been the excitement! :carcus:

But to be precised, i was talking about the 2 idiots behind the boss.

Aazealh said:
Now this is fucking interesting. Ancient statues? Holy shit I need to know more! MORE! And inside its mouth... The astral world? Or is that just a graphic effect? Anyway, Guts compares the feeling of the cave to when he visited the Qliphoth!

Qliphoth, hmmm? :slan:
I do remember pointing out how Sea God's power may be similar to that of an individual member of God Hand, based on the amount of blood shed by Guts' brand while he was on his way into the cave. And considering how Slan in her physical form had inflicted quite a number to both the body and soul of Guts, it seems like he's really in for a long haul with Sea God. And who knows,this fight may actually result in such severe mental and physical damage to Guts, that he himself might require King Hanafubuku's healing.

Aazealh said:
Needless to say, the title is "Sea God (1)".

Needless to say, my guessing on the episode's name actually came true :judo:

BayJumper said:
But on a more positive note, who's willing to bet that the episode 319 will simply be titled "Sea God"?

Anyways Aaz, I just wanted to say thanks so much for putting up the Sea God preview for us. Just looking at that damn thing's maw actually gave me a scare and sent chills down my spine, which is honestly something I haven't experienced in several years now with Berserk. After 9 years of being a fan, just when I thought I'd gotten desensitized enough and used to all the monsters and gore, along comes this... I love it!! :guts:

turkitage

ターク
BayJumper said:
And who knows,this fight may actually result in such severe mental and physical damage to Guts, that he himself might require King Hanafubuku's healing.

Yeah, I can see that as well. The team taking beaten up Guts and Casca in for healing. Though, part of me just wants to see Guts just rip it to shreds with ease.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
I do remember pointing out how Sea God's power may be similar to that of an individual member of God Hand, based on the amount of blood shed by Guts' brand while he was on his way into the cave. And considering how Slan in her physical form had inflicted quite a number to both the body and soul of Guts, it seems like he's really in for a long haul with Sea God.
I think it's folly to attempt to quantify the combative strength of something based on the amount of blood Guts has lost through his brand. Based on your estimations, what's its power level? :troll:

...such severe mental and physical damage to Guts, that he himself might require King Hanafubuku's healing.
Don't forget, Guts already needs a strong healer's power to mend the spiritual wounds given to him by Slan. So regardless of his cumulative condition after this fight, Guts has needed some serious help for a while now. I have to say though, I always imagined they'd arrive at Elfhelm with Guts essentially on his last legs, on a stretcher of some kind, desperately in need of help at that moment. A "WE DEMAND AN AUDIENCE," kind of situation.

Yeah, quite a longshot you took there. :carcus:

Turkitage said:
Though, part of me just wants to see Guts just rip it to shreds with ease.
Could be, but since this is just Sea God (1), I'm kinda doubting there will be a knockout in Round 1.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Walter said:
I have to say though, I always imagined they'd arrive at Elfhelm with Guts essentially on his last legs, on a stretcher of some kind, desperately in need of help at that moment. A "WE DEMAND AN AUDIENCE," kind of situation.

I'm expecting Elfhelm to be in chaos, If Griffith sent a small platoon to kill one old witch, then I am pretty sure he would not ignore a whole island filled with magical being who can be threat to him as well.

Unless it turns out that the Elf King is a harmless bug to Griffith.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
I'm expecting Elfhelm to be in chaos, If Griffith sent a small platoon to kill one old witch, then I am pretty sure he would not ignore a whole island filled with magical being who can be threat to him as well.
Ah! The ELFHELM=DED Corollary of 2003! The events in the Berserk world have certainly broadened since this was originally proposed, but apparently this potentiality has stuck in some people's brains as the ultimate outcome in spite of the other events in the world. Griffith has a kingdom to rule. He just got his shiny new castle. Likewise, his apostles have their own shit to do, all of which is far, far away from the island of Skellig.

But let's walk with this possibility for a bit. What's the next step, then? "Well shit, after coming all this way, everyone's dead. Turn the ship back around, Roddy!" :schierke:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Since this seems to be the first part of who knows how many. It definitely has the room to make the sea god's insides into this unique world of it's own. I can only imagine a big pool of stomach acid, followed by monsters digesting the poor victims that were eaten. Maybe we'll see some merrow remains or someone still there. Isma's mom perhaps :carcus:

Aazealh said:
And inside its mouth... The astral world?

I think that is by far the most interesting of the images we have here so far. I wish I was at home to compare that image to when Ganishka was split in twain. :isidro:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Fuck tits. You toy with our emotions so. :judo:

But this...is beautiful. Look at that gaping maw. The rows of teeth remind me of a shark.

IB5bh.jpg

The observation about the inside of his mouth is intriguing. That texture certainly looks familiar. It has a very distinctive pattern that he's associated with the astral world quite some time. And Guts wants to go...inside?

Yet again I'm baffled by the drawings. Miura somehow seems to one-up himself with every episode. The composition of some of these panels is just awesome.

Thanks very much for the preview. :void:

Aphasia said:
Fuck tits. You toy with our emotions so. :judo:

Look at that gaping maw. The rows of teeth remind me of a shark.

I was thinking of another creature, one who might not like the competition so much :beast:

:ganishka:

I'm excited to see how Guts does as a dental hygienist :ubik:

Griffith

Walter said:
I think it's folly to attempt to quantify the combative strength of something based on the amount of blood Guts has lost through his brand. Based on your estimations, what's its power level? :troll:

Isn't that basically what Miura uses it for though? :troll: "The evil is strong with this one!"

Walter said:
Don't forget, Guts already needs a strong healer's power to mend the spiritual wounds given to him by Slan. So regardless of his cumulative condition after this fight, Guts has needed some serious help for a while now. I have to say though, I always imagined they'd arrive at Elfhelm with Guts essentially on his last legs, on a stretcher of some kind, desperately in need of help at that moment. A "WE DEMAND AN AUDIENCE," kind of situation.

I'm tired of the false urgency of Guts' current cycle of ruin, rest, recovery; all in favor of Guts basically arriving in a half-zipped bodybag! :daiba: "Help us King of the Flower Storm, you're our only hope!"

Truder said:
Walter said:
Ah! The ELFHELM=DED Corollary of 2003! The events in the Berserk world have certainly broadened since this was originally proposed, but apparently this potentiality has stuck in some people's brains as the ultimate outcome in spite of the other events in the world. Griffith has a kingdom to rule. He just got his shiny new castle. Likewise, his apostles have their own shit to do, all of which is far, far away from the island of Skellig.

There will be no need for platoons or anything as dramatic as total destruction, Rakshas will have already quietly dispatched the population! :rakshas: "It was as if a million voices cried out and were suddenly..." oh never mind.

Or, it's the next major story waypoint, already vested with tons of significance and expectations, and if Griffith decided to wage war on it, it wouldn't be off-camera or before Miura fully exploited the place's potential otherwise. So yeah, I too think it less likely that it will be smoldering before they get there, as compelling as that would be. Though, I wonder how the changes in the world have affected the place; more hydra attacks on the elf population than usual, a Sea God-type problem of their own?

Heh ... doesn't the statue look like the eyes were bleeding ... but at the same time, the crack starts from the forehead. Coincidental?! I know I know, makes no sense because it's a statue!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yeah, a site of worship for the true Sea God, a spirit Schierke could contact for assistance like in Enoch? It makes me wonder about the credentials of the fellow were seeing. Is he the true face of the Sea God, or just the ultimate Sea Monster that displaced him?

Indeed, it raises quite a few questions. I'm not sure it's needed to mention all the possibilities, but I'll certainly be looking forward to the answers. :guts:

BayJumper said:
Qliphoth, hmmm? :slan:
I do remember pointing out how Sea God's power may be similar to that of an individual member of God Hand, based on the amount of blood shed by Guts' brand while he was on his way into the cave.

And? What's the relation with the Qliphoth? Guts isn't referring to his meeting with Slan but to the atmosphere of the place. :schierke: Remember that Slan hadn't appeared yet when they first ventured in there, she surfaced later on. And like Walter said, the amount of bleeding from the Brand isn't much of an indicator for anything other than to say it's a big threat. Attempting to compare Slan's "power" to that of this gigantic monster is kind of pointless. They're both extremely powerful and dangerous, that much is easy to tell, but they're hardly comparable in nature.

BayJumper said:
And considering how Slan in her physical form had inflicted quite a number to both the body and soul of Guts, it seems like he's really in for a long haul with Sea God.

I'd like you to step back and think about that sentence of yours for a second. Is the amount of bleeding from the Brand really the biggest proof of the ordeal Guts is facing right now? Or is it the fact he's looking at a monstrous creature so big a whole city could fit in its mouth? A creature worthy of being called a god? A creature whose beard is composed of huge monsters whose own mouths are composed of yet other monsters who have individually been portrayed as serious foes for our hero without losing himself to the armor? Yeah. And on a side note, those entrails Slan possessed don't really qualify as being "her physical form".

BayJumper said:
King Hanafubuku

"Hanafubuku" isn't a name. 花吹雪く王 ("Hanabufuku Oh") is a phrase in Japanese that means "King of the Flower Storm". That's the king's title. Call him either that or the Elf King, but please don't use this half-assed non-translation. And I know it's how Dark Horse put it, but that's not an excuse! :miura:

BayJumper said:

Don't tell me you're seriously trying to brag about this. Almost makes me want to pull an old "Captain Obvious" image macro. And you didn't even call it perfectly, you missed the (1)!

BayJumper said:
Just looking at that damn thing's maw actually gave me a scare and sent chills down my spine, which is honestly something I haven't experienced in several years now with Berserk.

Really? Ganishka, Femto vs SK, Fantasia, Falconia, nothing?

Truder said:
If Griffith sent a small platoon to kill one old witch, then I am pretty sure he would not ignore a whole island filled with magical being who can be threat to him as well.

What's he going to do then, send his entire army there? How would they arrive before Guts et al.?

Walter said:
But let's walk with this possibility for a bit. What's the next step, then? "Well shit, after coming all this way, everyone's dead. Turn the ship back around, Roddy!" :schierke:

Yeah...

Griffith said:
Though, I wonder how the changes in the world have affected the place; more hydra attacks on the elf population than usual, a Sea God-type problem of their own?

Yeah, that's a more interesting question. How they were (un)affected (after all, they were already in the astral world themselves, so the problem might rather come from humans), how they will be affected, and what they think of it.

Th3Branded0ne said:
It definitely has the room to make the sea god's insides into this unique world of it's own.

Of course. Guaranteed to be awesome. :guts:

Aphasia said:
But this...is beautiful. Look at that gaping maw. The rows of teeth remind me of a shark.

This is commented upon in the episode, since the pirates are somewhat affiliated with the animal (sailing on the "Captain Shark Rider", not to mention the boss' speeches).

Griffith said:
Isn't that basically what Miura uses it for though? :troll: "The evil is strong with this one!"

Not exactly a precise indicator though.

IncantatioN said:
Heh ... doesn't the statue look like the eyes were bleeding ...

No?

Top Bottom