Episode 327

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Yeah, he's playing with perspective a lot in this episode, but i don't necessarily think it's something new. It's all part of the storytelling. I think it would be interesting to go back and look at how he's handled perspective across the years recently though.

Yea that's why I like pointing out individual pages that I like or find interesting sometimes. There's a ton of threads about 2 page spreads or favorite panels and stuff but I'd love to go back and discuss certain aspects of the artwork in the past because Miura's illustrations tell so much of the story and the techniques he uses and such. Sometimes it's so subtle and I for one don't notice it since I'm not artistic in that way. I'd really love to get a deeper appreciation for it.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
As has been reiterated for readers about 3 different times in the series since vol 28, the full moon enhances magical effects. It's also a time when the mind becomes easily unhinged.

Maybe it's related to The Eclipse, too.

Walter said:

That was really good. :ganishka:

Oburi said:
I really love this panel because you can really get a feel for the setting. The calm after the storm. The sky is dark and cloudy, all of them just waiting in the water with the deflated Sea God behind them.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7485/scene1i.jpg

Imagine the amount of scavengers it is going to attract... (The entire sky might be bird-infested :zodd:).

puella

Berserk forever
The "Sea Arc" is over because Miura said so. I want to raise three questions.

1) Do you think it ended at a good point or did you expect a little bit more?
The latter is my case.

I expected Isma and Isidro's puppy love and an impressive "separation". I even thought that Isma would tell her mana to Isidro. :iva:
And I thought we'd learn a bit more about the Sea God's backstory, like what his nature was.

2) Do you think the Sea Arc will be related to future events?
Considering that Miura never introduced arcs that didn't tie in to future events so far, I think it will.

3) What are the most important things in the arc to you?
For me:
Guts recognizes the boy.
Farnese' development in magic.
Guts can control the armor to some extent.
Schierke's telepathy and spiritual help aren't imperturbable.

Let's discuss!

puella said:
The latter is my case.

I expected Isma and Isidro's puppy love and an impressive "separation". I even thought that Isma would tell her mana to Isidro. :iva:
And I thought we'd learn a bit more about the Sea God's backstory, like what his nature was.

I agree I thought we'd get a little more. Who knows there may be a denouement explaining what it means to the world to have such an important astral creature destroyed. As a Lovecraft fan, I wouldn't have minded a little more backstory to the Sea God, or even a longer struggle once it broke free of the island. Unlike reborn Ganishka, I never got a sense that the world was in peril by the Sea God. Only the Sea Horses's crew and it's passengers seemed to be in danger. Not that our main characters in danger is something to scoff at, just that the whole arc had a much more epic sense to it, battle against a God and all. That's not to say that this wasn't a fantastic Arc. Guts is a certified God Killer now. :guts:

As far as Isma and Isidro go, I'm sure Miura will give us a proper farewell. That is, if she's leaving...

puella said:
Considering that Miura never introduced arcs that didn't tie in to future events so far, I think it will.

I have no doubt. Killing a God has to change the world somehow. It'll make allies and enemies for Guts's party at the least.

puella said:
For me:
Guts recognizes the boy.

I'd say all of your points are incredibly significant. To add to them.

Guts is able to kill a god-like creature
Guts has found the limit to the armor (somewhat speculative)
We know the boy can appear anywhere
The merrows and perhaps other good sea beings are in debt to Guts (as allies or in aid to getting to Elfhelm)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
puella said:

I expected more of a conclusion. A little more about the merrows/the Sea God and to see Isma parting ways with the group. Might still happen, though. Maybe the merrows will travel alongside them, or maybe it'll be shown in retrospect, who knows. As for the Sea God, it might be mentioned later on, and hell, maybe this isn't the last monster of this caliber we'll get to see...

puella said:

Of course.

puella said:

In addition to what you mentioned the very concept of "mana" could potentially be a key element in the future. Knowing an astral being's true name lending one power over it... It's enormously significant. The big question being: does it apply to Guts' enemies?

Aside from that, I believe the existence of a creature like the Sea God helped considerably extend the scope of Berserk's world. Fantasia's really an unknown world in which pretty much everything could happen. The episodes that introduced it had made it clear, but the Sea God really cemented it, and its might was extraordinary. Same goes with the merrows: these are the first benevolent astral beings to be shown in the manga other than the piskies.

ApostleBob said:
reborn Ganishka

Please don't do that.

ApostleBob said:
I never got a sense that the world was in peril by the Sea God. Only the Sea Horses's crew and it's passengers seemed to be in danger.

It was said several times that it could decimate an entire portion of the sea, though. That's quite something.

ApostleBob said:
Guts is a certified God Killer now. [...] I have no doubt. Killing a God has to change the world somehow. It'll make allies and enemies for Guts's party at the least.

You know, despite the name I wouldn't say that the Sea God was actually a God. I wouldn't focus too much on it if I were you. Similarly, it's made allies of the merrows, but I don't see what enemies it could bring them.

ApostleBob said:
The merrows and perhaps other good sea beings are in debt to Guts (as allies or in aid to getting to Elfhelm)

They just saved his life so I'm not sure they're in such a big debt.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
puella said:
What Miura said about this segment ending seems a little premature to me, because by the last panel, it certainly doesn't feel over. It seems to be that some goodbyes are in order before they transition back to the voyage to Elfhelm.

We were introduced to the Merrows, and Guts' killing of the sea god is a great way to begin a relationship. I think that feat will come into play later, maybe in a possible alliance with astral creatures :guts:

For me:
Guts recognizes the boy.
As I said in Podcast 3, the significance for me was in viewing this isolated island as an example of what's likely happening to everyone, now that the worlds have merged. Ancient evils and creatures have returned to the physical world and are wreaking havoc on the land, and subjugating (in this case, killing and enslaving) humans. In a way it's not fundamentally different from what Guts and co. have done in the past, just the scale of the opponent is different.

I think the triumph of Guts and his band of humans over a powerful astral creature like this will play a significant role in the future. I think right now, many humans may feel like they can't possibly win against such odds, and astral creatures likely don't see the humans as being able to stand up to the odds themselves. But Guts set a precedent here.

Aazealh said:
The very concept of "mana" could potentially be a key element in the future. Knowing an astral being's true name lending one power over it... It's enormously significant. The big question being: does it apply to Guts' enemies?

Didn't even think of this. You're right, this might have enormous consequences later on.

Aazealh said:
Please don't do that.

Do we have an official term for Ganishka after the artificial Behelit? I know Femto said he was twice reincarnated, and Daiba or Silat called him Shiva, though it was more a reference to Kushan mythology.

Aazealh said:
It was said several times that it could decimate an entire portion of the sea, though. That's quite something.

On an environmental level sure. The fishing industry, and possibly nautical travel would be in danger. At best people can't sail as much and fish is off the menu, at worst, travel is severely hindered and famine prevails in sea faring regions. It's significant to be sure, but it's not a direct looming threat to anyone but astral sea creatures.

Aazealh said:
You know, despite the name I wouldn't say that the Sea God was actually a God. I wouldn't focus too much on it if I were you. Similarly, it's made allies of the merrows, but I don't see what enemies it could bring them.

I'm just going by it's title but I take your point. It does lack the sentience and most of the supernatural traits that the Elemental Kings, the God Hand, and IoE exhibit. As Guts says, it's like a giant hungry octopus.

The only enemies they might make (and this is speculation) are astral creatures in league with the Sea God, or any any who might have worshiped it. Probably unlikely, but we're still very early into the fantasia section of Berserk so who knows how all these astral creatures interact.

Aazealh said:
They just saved his life so I'm not sure they're in such a big debt.

I think he'll still be revered as a near mythic hero in their community. He did what they couldn't do after centuries. Perhaps debt is the wrong word as it implies a reluctance to pay it off. I think the merrows will gladly assist Guts party in any way they can at this point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Do we have an official term for Ganishka after the artificial Beherit? I know Femto said he was twice reincarnated, and Daiba or Silat called him Shiva, though it was more a reference to Kushan mythology.

Actually Femto says he was transmutated twice. And Daiba calls him Shiva indeed (as well as a random member of the Bakiraka). So I guess you could refer to him as that. Or just call him Ganishka, because the context is usually enough to understand what you mean.

ApostleBob said:
On an environmental level sure. The fishing industry, and possibly nautical travel would be in danger. At best people can't sail as much and fish is off the menu, at worst, travel is severely hindered and famine prevails in sea faring regions. It's significant to be sure, but it's not a direct looming threat to anyone but astral sea creatures.

Making the sea a desert is still a pretty big deal, even if humans aren't the main victims. It's the "Sea God" after all, it wasn't going to threaten inland cities.

ApostleBob said:
I'm just going by it's title but I take your point. It does lack the sentience and most of the supernatural traits that the Elemental Kings, the God Hand, and IoE exhibit. As Guts says, it's like a giant hungry octopus.

I don't think it lacks sentience. But it was "just" a colossal monster. At this point the only being I consider to be a "proper" God in Berserk is the Idea of Evil.

ApostleBob said:
The only enemies they might make (and this is speculation) are astral creatures in league with the Sea God, or any any who might have worshiped it. Probably unlikely, but we're still very early into the fantasia section of Berserk so who knows how all these astral creatures interact.

Well according to the merrows the Sea God had no allies and rather was a threat to everything that lived in the sea.

ApostleBob said:
Perhaps debt is the wrong word as it implies a reluctance to pay it off. I think the merrows will gladly assist Guts party in any way they can at this point.

Yeah I agree.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Which exact episode of this arc did they elaborate on the mana again?
Episodes 323-324. Namely, this sequence:

puella said:
Ivalera: Elves or Spirits have secret names that should never be told to humans.
Ivalera: That is the Mana (real name)!
Ivalera: The real name is in charge of the true figure of its bearer. You went back to your true figure because you spoke it!
Ivalera: And if you tell your real name to somebody they'll be able to control you!
Ivalera: So you should never share it with anybody other than those who you can trust completely!
Puck: Ehh, I see.

Jesus

あきらめていない ガッツ "Avatar by Gillia"
i'm really looking forward to see the Elf Island and the possibility to cure casca's illness but everything is going so slow :puck:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Jesus said:
i'm really looking forward to see the Elf Island and the possibility to cure casca's illness but everything is going so slow :puck:
In retrospect, this whole Sea God section wasn't that long.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Jesus said:

So are all of us, but I wouldn't say everything is going slowly. The episode release schedule has slowed down a bit over the years, but it doesn't mean Miura isn't working on the manga. Plus, the solitary island section of the Elf Island chapter was really cool, and anything but slow.

Don't make the mistake of not enjoying the journey just so you can get to the destination. Think of the events we've witnessed since Guts first set out for Elfhelm. Personally, I wouldn't trade those volumes of pure gold for anything, especially a quick cut to the group arriving in Elfhelm.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
puella said:

I know Miura said the solitary island portion of the Elf Island chapter is over, but I don't think we're through with everything just yet. I think we'll see some goodbyes and the crew setting out for Skellig, but not much more than that. If we don't get to see that and it just jumps straight to the crew continuing their voyage, I'll be a bit disappointed, but I don't think that's going to happen. All in all, I really liked this section of the story.

puella said:

Absolutely. As others have said, I think the concept of "mana" will be important at some point in the future (why else would Miura bring it up?), and I think Isidro's attraction to Isma will have an impact on his relationship with Schierke, as well (no idea how, but the way he felt about Isma might be referenced later on, which could cause Schierke to feel a little bit jealous).

puella said:

1. The impact of the Berserk's armor on Guts (possible further loss of sight, taste, etc.), as well as his ability to bend it to his will, however momentarily
2. The introduction of the "mana" concept
3. The Moonlight Boy rescuing Guts, when in the past he's acted out of defense towards Casca
4. Farnese being a competent enough mage to summon the four Elemental Kings (can't wait to see what she'll summon in the future!)
5. The arc giving us an idea of what's happening to everyone outside of Falconia

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I know Miura said the solitary island portion of the Elf Island chapter is over, but I don't think we're through with everything just yet. I think we'll see some goodbyes and the crew setting out for Skellig, but not much more than that. If we don't get to see that and it just jumps straight to the crew continuing their voyage, I'll be a bit disappointed, but I don't think that's going to happen. All in all, I really liked this section of the story.

Well the thing is he used the wording "sea arc", which as you know isn't an actual arc in the series, meaning he was speaking informally. So we don't actually know what section of the story he was referring to. It could be the sea journey in its entirety (i.e. next time we see them they'll be arriving at Skellig).

Rhombaad said:
I think Isidro's attraction to Isma will have an impact on his relationship with Schierke, as well (no idea how, but the way he felt about Isma might be referenced later on, which could cause Schierke to feel a little bit jealous).

I think even as it is it can form a basis for a feeling of jealousy, which may or may not be referenced again in the future. There definitely were some meaningful moments in that regard.

Rhombaad said:
1. The impact of the Berserk's armor on Guts (possible further loss of sight, taste, etc.), as well as his ability to bend it to his will, however momentarily

Actually I find interesting to note that this time around Guts used the armor to give him back his senses whereas it's infamous for dulling them over time. Rather ironical.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Actually I find interesting to note that this time around Guts used the armor to give him back his senses whereas it's infamous for dulling them over time. Rather ironical.

Indeed. :guts:

I really enjoy how Miura gives us something new each time the Berserk's armor is used. It keeps it from feeling like, "Oh great, the armor again... :schierke:"

I thought that Guts and Crew (with the captain) are going to YS because the captain, roderick, heard some rumors there about skellig.

Since people are saying they will go straight to Elfhell, did I read that part wrong?

jackalj said:
I thought that Guts and Crew (with the captain) are going to YS because the captain, roderick, heard some rumors there about skellig.

Since people are saying they will go straight to Elfhell, did I read that part wrong?

He said he wouldn't mind giving them a lift to Skellig, as it was on his way home.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:

They're going straight to Elfhelm, guided there by Puck. On a side note, no offense but that "Elfhell" joke got old a while ago.

From this I still don't feel like the Child has anything to do with Griffith--at most maybe that he used it as a mechanism to rid himself of feelings for Guts and Casca, but there is no basis for that IMO. It's just my personal feeling that this is solely what is left of Guts and Casca's child and the affect of it's encounter with the astral world. Perhaps what is left of their child is stuck mostly in the astral realm but can manifest itself more easily on a full moon, I am waiting with anticipation to see what happens next with him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RyoGTO said:
From this I still don't feel like the Child has anything to do with Griffith--at most maybe that he used it as a mechanism to rid himself of feelings for Guts and Casca, but there is no basis for that IMO. It's just my personal feeling that this is solely what is left of Guts and Casca's child

Femto was incarnated into the child's body. Then we saw that Griffith was influenced rather dramatically by the kid's feelings. So I don't see how anyone could say that the Moonlight Boy isn't related to Griffith and/or that he's "what's left" of their son. Putting A + B together makes it clear the two are related, and this episode strongly reinforced it with the similarity in their astral selves.

RyoGTO said:
the affect of it's encounter with the astral world.

That doesn't mean anything. The boy was born as an astral being.

Top Bottom