Episode 331

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Title: 流星 - Shooting star​

Brief summary: The merrows are guiding the ship to Skellig. The boy disappears. Schierke thinks the boy might be from Elfhelm, or that he might even be the King of the Flower Storm himself. There's also mention of a branch relating to the moon, which clearly refers to the 5th and 8th pictures of the preview. Branches, sure, but of what tree? Ganishka's? The Elf King's, if he's associated to a plant like Chich? Extremely interesting.

That at least can explain how the boy can travel seemingly anywhere he wants: the tree (whichever it is) is astral in nature and big enough that it goes through the full moon, like through a portal. And what about Schierke's guess? It makes sense from her point of view, but given what we know and the hints we've had, it seems wrong somehow. Unless the boy is a projection from the king himself and is meant to look like Guts & Casca's son would have on purpose, as a way to mend what has to be. Crazy theories.

In other news, Miura wants to move to a new place.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
To be fair... The boy first showed up at the same time Skull Knight mentioned the King of the Flower Storm to Guts. But it really REALLY doesn't explain everything. This is all very interesting.

Like, specifically, why does he cling to Casca so much?

Also, The Moonlight Boy's STRANGE STARE FROM A DISTANCE is really starting to worry me a lot. Whatever it means. If this kid is Griffith, and Griffith is conscious in there, that look could be, "Thaaaat's riiight. LEAD ME TO WHERE THE WIZARDS ARE....."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is a fascinating new development. I like the possibility Schierke presents, but I'm still not sure that all of the pieces fit... :farnese:

Exciting stuff! With no additional narrative elements indicated in the preview, it seems as though the course is clear to land at Skellig within an episode or two.

We get to see a little bit of Guts in one of the panels with Puck and Ivalera. Looks like he's all bandaged up. Hope the big ol guy is okay...

And once again I question whether or not the final panel is actually the one of the boy, or if it'll be something else... like the island coming into view (how many times have I said this exact statement? :ganishka: )

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I still believe it's Guts', Casca's and Griffith's baby (that stare on the last preview panel); though, when you put it that way a guiding spirit doesn't seem such a silly alternative. But why would the King of the Flower Storm care to help Guts and Casca before even meeting them? Do you think he and Skull Knight have exchanges like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasqjPHpxyI :SK:

Walter said:
Exciting stuff! With no additional narrative elements indicated in the preview, it seems as though the course is clear to land at Skellig within an episode or two.
Walter said:
And once again I question whether or not the final panel is actually the one of the boy, or if it'll be something else... like the island coming into view (how many times have I said this exact statement? :ganishka: )

I hope your double jinxes cancel each other out. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
When I see Puck like that (exhausted?) he reminds me of the Mandragora from Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage
Hehe, it's his shape. He and Ivalera are probably spent after exhausting their dust on Guts. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
When I see Puck like that (exhausted?) he reminds me of the Mandragora from Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage

Was reminded of Munch's "The Scream" myself.

Walter said:
He and Ivalera are probably spent after exhausting their dust on Guts. :guts:

Reminiscent of their talk at the end of volume 27, after his first use of the armor. :guts:

P.S. Needless to say, and before anybody asks, Berserk will be in the next issue.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
The kid is not Guts and Casca's?? :isidro: :isidro: The is puts a spin on the story I sure wasn't expecting. Did Flora sent a message to make sure they do get there and that's why they kid is with them. Maybe he is not the Elf King but someone taking orders from him to protect Guts and company.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
The kid is not Guts and Casca's?? :isidro: :isidro: The is puts a spin on the story I sure wasn't expecting. Did Flora sent a message to make sure they do get there and that's why they kid is with them. Maybe he is not the Elf King but someone taking orders from him to protect Guts and company.

I wouldn't get too carried away if I were you. The similarities with the Demon Child are much too strong for them to be a coincidence as far as I'm concerned.

Excited that we're back on the road as far as the manga is concerned. But I think people are jumping to conclusions a little soon on whether or not the moonlight child is the elf king or not. Schierke may be correct in her assessment, but like Aaz mentioned she doesn't have the same kind of info we as readers or Guts for that matter have.

In any case my guess is a lot of our preconceived notions are going to be challenge or altered while on Elfhelm. If this does prove to be true, then we'll know how high the bar has been set for sure.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I wouldn't get too carried away if I were you. The similarities with the Demon Child are much too strong for them to be a coincidence as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed, and certainly nothing conclusive yet given that all we have is preview text. However, this episode's events do add new wrinkles into our understanding of the child that we have to take into account, not the least of which is this new presumed moon/tree astral fast-travel.

As for Schierke's guess that it could be the Elf King or some such, I could see that being a wrong guess. And if it's revealed that she was wrong, she'll then wonder: "Then who...?" :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! What an episode! :isidro: It's like a smorgasbord of everything that makes Berserk great, all crammed into one episode.

That ending really brought a smile to my face, just a fantastic development. Also,
it doesn't appear to me that the star is headed in the direction of the ship so... probably still Griffith.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Also,
it doesn't appear to me that the star is headed in the direction of the ship so... probably still Griffith.

Of course. :carcus: And now we know why he doesn't need Zodd anymore: he's got the Ganishka-Tree to travel anywhere he pleases! :schnoz:

But what if Griffith himself can use it to travel anywhere in the world as well? Is Elfhelm really safe after all? Too many possibilities! :rakshas:

Confusing. If the boy is indeed Griffith does it mean the boy has some evil intentions and protects Guts and Casca because he plans something?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
There is seriously so much going on in this episode it's hard to list it all.

I really want to know what Farnese is saying / thinking. She looks very upset.

Guts recalling what Skully said again. About the armor's effect on him I presume.

The ending was ASTOUNDING. Yeah, I agree with Walter. I'm thinking Griffith too.

I'm actually surprised at how well Guts looks. I was expecting a much bigger mess. I guess those elves really worked hard.

We finally got a new closeup of Puck's "normal" face!

Is that really the Ganishka tree?

Top Bottom