Episode 331

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Irvine said:
Confusing. If the boy is indeed Griffith does it mean the boy has some evil intentions and protects Guts and Casca because he plans something?

Nah, it's more complicated than that. It's an old theory really. In short, Guts & Casca's son, which was previously known to us as the Demon Child, cared for his parents despite his hideous appearance. He finally met his end during Femto's incarnation ceremony, in volume 21, when he fell down exhausted after protecting Casca from Mozgus' fire breath and was swallowed by the Beherit Apostle. He then became the vessel for Femto's coming into flesh, and was transformed into the new Griffith while inside the egg. To sum it up, his body was overtaken by Femto and transformed to look like Griffith. Now, one thing that Griffith apparently didn't plan for is that he still retained some of the boy's feelings, as shown in volume 22 when he watched Zodd and Guts fight, and when he protected Casca from the falling boulders. So it seems the boy didn't completely disappear.

Now, in volume 28, a new character is introduced to us: the Moonlight Boy. That boy arrives there all of the sudden, naked, and is found by Casca. She immediately takes to him despite her condition, much like she'd done with her son before. The boy looks like a mix between her and Guts too, and despite being shy, he does have a clear interest in Guts himself. The boy is shown to have an incredible power, and is described as a "superior being". The kind of power a being like Femto might possess, but we know he isn't inherently evil, both through his actions and through the fact the brands didn't bleed in his presence. He leaves as suddenly as he appeared. Another troubling detail: that night, we know Zodd was there, watching what was going on with the group and the child from the top of a cliff, hidden. Why was he there? What was he doing? We don't know. But maybe he'd brought the boy there himself, or was curious as to what he was doing. Either way, it's extremely interesting.

More recently the boy's appeared again, and has again helped his (supposed) parents. But this time, while Guts looked at him in his astral form (his body of light), his hair looked different than it does in the corporeal world. It was curly... Like Griffith's. All these little tidbits hint at the fact that somehow, when the moon is full, the boy whose body was overtaken by Femto is able to wander on his own, as himself, and to use some of Griffith's incredible powers at his whim. That's the gist of the theory.

Gobolatula said:
Is that really the Ganishka tree?

If we go by the classic Demon Child/Griffith theory then mostly certainly, yes. I mean what other tree would that be?

Is that really the Ganishka tree?

The Ganishka tree reminds me of Yggdrasil. According to norse mythology the gods made it from the corpse of a giant. It's the biggest and most beautiful tree and it's branches are spread through the nine worlds, connect them and reach the sky. The boy travels through the sky. So perhaps it might be indeed the Ganishka tree.

Also thank you for the explanation Aazealh.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
On page 14 is it Schierke interpretation of the King of Flower Storm?

Anyways great great great episode! Very beautiful! Miura is really doing incredible work with each episode!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
It is a great episode. Seems Farnese is upset that Guts has to go through all that trouble to protect them(wait until translation is available). Beast of darkness makes a cameo :beast:. Guts seems to be frustrated that Skully's details about the armor are appearing more vivid now poor guy :sad:. That tree fast-travel was sure surprising, it does seems to be Griffith with evidence you guys brought up. Oh shit, this just got more exciting, if it wasn't already, for those who just complain about the pace of things. This is a huge development! :ubik:

Just wow...
I thought the page of the Moonlight Boy looking down from under the moon was the last page, but... :isidro:
The branches do look like those of the Ganishka tree to me, though there is one thing about them that makes me wonder:
They seem translucent. The last time we saw the Tree, it appeared solid. So is there something to the tree we don't know about?
Is it growing even now in the very deep layers of the world and the new branches slowly appear as the layers continue to merge? I was under the impression that the merging was complete after the light swept the earth...

Regarding Shierkes guess about the identity of the boy: What I find interesting about this are the implications for the Elf king.
If the boy is indeed who we think he is and has access to at least a part of Femtos power, than I read this as Schierke thinking the King is a being of comparable power.
Maybe I read to much into this (hell, I don't even know what they are saying), but the thought that there might be things around now that are even comparable to the God Hand is just too fascinating to dismiss it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that I noticed earlier but forgot to comment on: Isma has regained her legs. I wonder how that works.

Gaahl said:
The branches do look like those of the Ganishka tree to me, though there is one thing about them that makes me wonder:
They seem translucent. The last time we saw the Tree, it appeared solid. So is there something to the tree we don't know about?

Well given its nature and how it was created, it always seemed pretty obvious that there'd be more to it than just being a huge tree, don't you think?

Gaahl said:
Is it growing even now in the very deep layers of the world and the new branches slowly appear as the layers continue to merge? I was under the impression that the merging was complete after the light swept the earth...

I think the full moon plays a key role here. It enhances magical power in general, as you know.

Gaahl said:
Maybe I read to much into this (hell, I don't even know what they are saying), but the thought that there might be things around now that are even comparable to the God Hand is just too fascinating to dismiss it.

The king was always presented to us as a being of extraordinary power though. But the way I see it, I don't think it'll necessarily be comparable to a member of the God Hand. For example his powers might be awesome, but not in a way that can be used for violence. I.e. being able to cure Casca or preserve someone from death (like a certain Gaiseric) doesn't mean he could (or would be willing to) also slay apostles by the dozen.

Anyway, regarding the boy, Schierke says she doesn't feel his Od around the ship. Then they wonder if he's some sort of spectre or astral creature. Schierke confirms that he has a non-human Od, but tells them that he's not harmful to humans.

Magnifico says that it's a world first for humans to be accompanied by so many merrows. Isidro says he can't believe they're guiding them to Elfhem and wonders if it's because Isma is with them. She tells him it's nothing after what they've done for them, having helped them defeat the Sea God. He then asks her if she shouldn't be swimming with her mom now that she's found her, but she replies that for now she's happy to be with them. Meanwhile, Farnese is helping with Guts' treatment by flowing her Od to him through the laying on of her hands.

Aazealh said:
The king was always presented to us as a being of extraordinary power though. But the way I see it, I don't think it'll necessarily be comparable to a member of the God Hand. For example his powers might be awesome, but not in a way that can be used for violence. I.e. being able to cure Casca or preserve someone from death (like a certain Gaiseric) doesn't mean he could (or would be willing to) also slay apostles by the dozen.
I wasn't suggesting that the king would or could do any of that.
But to me this is indication that the god hand might just not be as far above everything else as I used to think, so by comparable I didn't mean in terms of actual abilities but more in terms of magnitude.
Now that I think about it, Skullknight pretty much implied this as well when he explained to Shierke why the apostles attacked Floras home...

But now for something completely different:
Out of all the things that happen in this episode, I somehow love the moment where Shierke refreshes exhausted Puck and and Ivalera the most.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
I wasn't suggesting that the king would or could do any of that.
But to me this is indication that the god hand might just not be as far above everything else as I used to think, so by comparable I didn't mean in terms of actual abilities but more in terms of magnitude.
I don't think it should be surprising. The God Hand are a relatively new force in terms of the Berserk universe. Consider the Four Kings of the World, elemental entities that have been around since, presumably, the creation of the world itself. Then there are these incredibly powerful astral beings, like the Kundalini and the Sea God, and who knows what else. It's a big world.

On page 5 - usually, I chuckle whenever I see Puck or Ivalera making expressions like that. This time around however, seeing them so exhausted, I'm actually concerned for their well-being. Considering what happened to Chich after she overworked herself in order to save Guts, what kind of long-term negative effect a post-Sea God healing of this huge scale may have on Puck and Ivalera?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
On page 5 - usually, I chuckle whenever I see Puck or Ivalera making expressions like that. This time around however, seeing them so exhausted, I'm actually concerned for their well-being. Considering what happened to Chich after she overworked herself in order to save Guts, what kind of long-term negative effect a post-Sea God healing of this huge scale may have on Puck and Ivalera?
It's portrayed in a pretty comical fashion though. I wouldn't be too worried.

Looking through the episode again, Isma and Isidro sure do make a cute couple. Too bad they'll never last :schierke: :isidro:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That was some weird, wild, wonderful stuff. The more I look at it the more little details I notice that impress me, especially that literally spaced out conclusion (that shooting star, wow), which was a nice touch after another unexpectedly intimate moment with Guts (I thought he'd be more dead to the world than reflective right now). Anyway, I don't think of Miura as a writer that employs a lot of twists or tricks, but more a very deliberate builder. You can see the frame of what he's constructing long before the inside is done, and when he surprises you its by introducing a cool new element you never expected by virtue of that framework, and then he painstakingly and seamlessly incorporates it into the design. But there's a real sense of deliberate mystery here, which I don't recall being employed so dramatically since the dawn of Skull Knight. :SK:

Unbelievable. Just...wow.

I absolutely fucking LOVE how the beast is looking. Superb doesn't begin to describe it.

Question: On page 19, when Guts is looking out of the window, can he see the branches going across the moon? Obviously I can't read the text by that panel, but I don't see any question marks or anything that hints that Guts is questioning what it is he's seeing. If he can't, I'm definitely curious as to why. Any thoughts?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
Question: On page 19, when Guts is looking out of the window, can he see the branches going across the moon? Obviously I can't read the text by that panel, but I don't see any question marks or anything that hints that Guts is questioning what it is he's seeing. If he can't, I'm definitely curious as to why. Any thoughts?
Yes, it seems that way. No professional translator here, but Guts says something to the effect that the injuries he's sustained sure have taken a toll on him. As in, I must be seeing things.

Walter said:
Yes, it seems that way. No professional translator here, but Guts says something to the effect that the injuries he's sustained sure have taken a toll on him. As in, I must be seeing things.

Awesome, thanks a lot Walter!

I'm so excited to see how this tree thing develops. Among many, many, MANY other things :guts:

Great episode! Just a couple things;
Why is the kid naked on page 13, and has a bit of cloth on him on page 22?

I think that the star at the end is the kid, that has been coming and disappearing, maybe when someone travels through the branches they appear like falling stars?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
jackalj said:
Great episode! Just a couple things;
Why is the kid naked on page 13, and has a bit of cloth on him on page 22?

The panel on page 13 is a flashback to when Casca first encountered him.

jackalj said:
I think that the star at the end is the kid, that has been coming and disappearing, maybe when someone travels through the branches they appear like falling stars?

I think it's more than what you think, but precisely what's being shown. At worst, it's an exaggeration for artistic effect. Brings to mind the prominent shooting star in episode 195, appropriately titled, "When the Stars of Night Fall."

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I've been looking at this episode for a while. Is it me or is Guts' face a bit different - in a good way? It looks a little less thin. I definitely love how he looks in this episode. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that Miura had just finished drawing Guts younger and he's transitioned back to an older Guts suddenly. Somehow I doubt it was a "mistake" knowing Miura's professionalism. :guts:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
What a fantastic episode. I especially love that last shot of the boy looking down from the moon. Great stuff. Can't wait to read the translations.

Beautiful art! I love the panel that throws back to Band of the Hawk Casca. That is a understatement compared to the glory shots of the ship. Miura never ceases to amaze me. Simple things have so much detail. Like the sea water... the fucking sea water has so much detail to it. The moon is brilliant, and the very wood on the ship in the background. It really does bring the manga life. This is why I have come to never to question break periods. Miura isn't giving us the next bundle of pages to some random...DBZ episode, just to move the story along with fan service slapped in with it. He really is giving us a work of art. There is far and few of people and places who do the same.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I've been looking at this episode for a while. Is it me or is Guts' face a bit different - in a good way? It looks a little less thin.

Yeah, he looks a bit healthier than he used to a while back.

Gobolatula said:
I definitely love how he looks in this episode. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that Miura had just finished drawing Guts younger and he's transitioned back to an older Guts suddenly. Somehow I doubt it was a "mistake" knowing Miura's professionalism. :guts:

Yeah, I think it's more of an indication that they're all getting used to the immediate side effects of the armor, with a likely focus on the middle to long term effects probably coming into focus once they reach Elfhelm. The warnings are all over the place, even in this episode (his trembling hands). Elf powder is a miraculous cure, but it can only do so much.

This is just too cool. I decide to take a two month break from Skullknight and the moment I return a new episode arrives! Must be a sign from above. :void:

The most interesting thing about 331 as far as I'm concerned is Moonlight boy using the branches of the Ganishka-tree as some sort of warp-gate. It makes me wonder just how immense it is. Are the branches now stretching around the entire world? It would make sense given the various Yggdrasil comparisons.

Gaiserik said:
Well, after several months of waiting, we finally have new chapter.

Episode.

This is beautiful by the way, it's interesting to see some new developments and things piecing together, especially the idea of Ganishka being used as a form of transport. It makes me wonder (as it's been mentioned) if Skellig might be attacked by apostles or if the gang intend to use a similar form of transport to make their way to Falconia later on. Either way, I can't wait to see the translations.

Top Bottom