Episode 331

It seems its already been vaguely mentioned here and there, but despite all that happened in this episode, what I think is standing out the most is a slight yet notable change in art style and/or increasing quality (if thats even possible). I cant quite put my finger on it but it feels like a general change. Could be that I really only read episodes as they are released nowadays and so my judgement may not be trustworthy due to continuity issues. Anyway whatever this is (if it is anything at all, that is) its feels pretty damn refreshing and somehow giving me a great feeling...and I´d rather not realize it may be just wishful thinking/bullshit on my part :troll:

Btw its also interesting reading all the feedback on this episode, and the thought of the next one being just around the corner almost makes my eyes tear up, good times indeed!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
It seems its already been vaguely mentioned here and there, but despite all that happened in this episode, what I think is standing out the most is a slight yet notable change in art style and/or increasing quality (if thats even possible). I cant quite put my finger on it but it feels like a general change. Could be that I really only read episodes as they are released nowadays and so my judgement may not be trustworthy due to continuity issues. Anyway whatever this is (if it is anything at all, that is) its feels pretty damn refreshing and somehow giving me a great feeling...and I´d rather not realize it may be just wishful thinking/bullshit on my part :troll:
We talked about it on the most recent podcast. I agree. It looks to me like Miura's beginning a style shift. It's most evident with Guts' face. He looks handsome instead of ... angular and rough, like he's been looking the past 3 volumes. However, as we discussed on the show, there are a few mitigating circumstances that could mean it's just incidental.

Yeah thanks for verifying my hunch there, guys. Oh and great podcast episode, I see I have a few to catch up on, only listened to the first two when they were released then I forgot about it for some reason, lol this site is so big, thanks for reminding me :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
Yeah thanks for verifying my hunch there, guys. Oh and great podcast episode, I see I have a few to catch up on, only listened to the first two when they were released then I forgot about it for some reason, lol this site is so big, thanks for reminding me :)
Man, those first episodes were rough though :farnese: You should definitely check out our most recent ones. And unlike some other podcasts, there's really no need to go through them all in sequence or anything. Unless otherwise noted (Skull Knight Part 3), you can pick up wherever.

Speaking of art style changes in Berserk, we talk about this phenomenon on Episode 10 with member guests Grail and Lithrael (both artists themselves, and Creation Station enthusiasts).

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Sweet bananas it's gonna be that time soon... What will we get for the new ep? I can't wait to see the new mindblowing-wonderfull-beautifull-impossibly-true-nice artwork by the master... 2 buck we get to see the island by the end of the episode!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
What will we get for the new ep? ... 2 buck we get to see the island by the end of the episode!
I think it's totally possible we'll get to see the shoreline of Skellig in the next episode. And it's going to be a historic moment for the series. Guts, Puck and Casca set out on this journey in Episode 183, which was more than 10 years ago for readers. Now, after episode 331, everything that the solitary island storyline introduced has been tied together like a nice package. It all seems ready to transition directly into another storyline.

While I don't think we will switch over to Falconia at this precise moment, I do think a perspective change is due at some point in the near future.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
While I don't think we will switch over to Falconia at this precise moment, I do think a perspective change is due at some point in the near future.

Yeah I was thinking about that the other day. I think the perspective change will happen after the next break. Like after seeing a little bit of Elfhelm or something of the likes. We see the shoreline in the new one, then a quick glimpse in the other one (assuming there is no break after this one that comes out) then a break and when it resumes, a little Falconia story. Well that's how I see it. I would not mind getting a switch after the next episode to Falconia either. I'm sure as always that what we'll get will be pretty awesome anyway. :guts:

All I can say is : it will be worth the wait! Long live to the patient people, it always pay at the end

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I have a feeling we'll be switching perspectives to Falconia in the next episode. With the way episode 331 ended, with the Moonlight Boy (presumably) zipping back to Falconia, it just feels right to me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I have a feeling we'll be switching perspectives to Falconia in the next episode. With the way episode 331 ended, with the Moonlight Boy (presumably) zipping back to Falconia, it just feels right to me.
It's no proof that it won't happen, but generally Miura has a break between perspective switches.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
It's no proof that it won't happen, but generally Miura has a break between perspective switches.

Gotcha.

I kind of hope it switches back to Falconia. I'm really curious about what's going on there right now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I kind of hope it switches back to Falconia. I'm really curious about what's going on there right now.
Same, but I want them to land on Skellig first, damn it! :mozgus:

We should know in a day or so what's happening. According to YA's page, the upcoming episode will be another 24-pager.

My money is on a lot of 2 page spreads, which to me means Skellig won't be at the end of the episode, but rather we will see quite a bit of it, kind of like how Falconia was introduced.
Maybe some shots ff the group walking around, totally in awe of the place :isidro:

Hi, this is my first post so it might come out a bit off! :farnese:

After reading the chapter I started to reread volume 8 (because it was the only volume I took to uni with me) and I noticed that page 19 in episode 331 is reminiscent of page 49 in volume 8. What I was wondering though is if anyone else thinks that it's a nod to the choice Guts is about to make? I thought that it could suggest something bad resulting because of Guts' decision... I don't really know how to word it, but because the scene in volume 8 was with Caska discussing how she felt Griffith was "somehow out of reach" (dark horse translations) and the picture of Griffith is smaller than the more recent one in episode 331, maybe Guts is thinking that he is closer to Griffith now because of the beast because of the preceding page in 331. Or it could be the more literal translation of the page that the decision to confront Griffith after Caska's healed is closer. I might be reading too much into but I thought the style of the pages just looked similar and was wondering if anyone else noticed it?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Headofbowl said:
Hi, this is my first post so it might come out a bit off! :farnese:

Welcome friend! And don't worry about it.

Headofbowl said:
After reading the chapter

... oh.

I started to reread volume 8 (because it was the only volume I took to uni with me) and I noticed that page 19 in episode 331 is reminiscent of page 49 in volume 8. What I was wondering though is if anyone else thinks that it's a nod to the choice Guts is about to make? I thought that it could suggest something bad resulting because of Guts' decision... I don't really know how to word it, but because the scene in volume 8 was with Casca discussing how she felt Griffith was "somehow out of reach" (dark horse translations) and the picture of Griffith is smaller than the more recent one in episode 331,

I'm not sure what picture you are referring to from book 8 :???:

Ahh! Sorry, I meant episode it's just because I had the dark horse volume 8 in my hand and it calls them chapters, a silly slip up :farnese:

Anyway thanks for the welcome and pointing out my mistake ! :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Headofbowl said:
I might be reading too much into but I thought the style of the pages just looked similar and was wondering if anyone else noticed it?
I really don't think there's any relationship at all between the two images you cite, other than that they're both pictures of Griffith.

Ok, thanks was just wondering because they looked similar! Just wanted to hear if anyone else thought the same, probably just a stylistic choice for Miura.

Edit: Just realised you said Griffith. Sorry, I wasn't more clear I meant Guts' facial expressions with Griffith as Guts' focal point.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Headofbowl said:
I meant Guts' facial expressions with Griffith as Guts' focal point.
Ah, now I see what you meant. Write fewer words next time :void:

Well, both images are of Guts looking forward, and considering Griffith, but they're not that similar. I don't see any relationship or special meaning implied between the two shots. If you want to get detailed about it, each instance is paneled similarly, but the message of the shots is dramatically different.

Guts is at a crossroads again, but I don't think this's an intentional use of imagery on Miura's behalf. It would be an obscure, almost vacuous call back if so. In an aside note, the size of the image of Griffith is, I believe, reading too much into things. They each serve different purposes on the page.

Walter said:
Ah, now I see what you meant. Write fewer words next time :void:

Sorry that's why I said it might come a bit off :schierke: I'll try to be a bit more concise next time, I just thought the style Miura used for the two shots may have hinted at something but like you say it's probably nothing!

jackson_hurley

Yeah my sister got back from Vietnam and they were passing through Tokyo on their way back and she bought me volume 34-36 in Japanese obviously but also my first Young Animal with episode 331 in it :) a big step for this geek!

(I tried quoting but I guess there's something wrong with my android browser)

I don't know if Oburi is just busting the new guy for shits and giggles :p (I'm pretty new myself btw) but I was always under the impression that the word "episode" was traditionally used for tv shows and "chapter" for pretty much all kinds of literature. But overall I've never really been aware of the difference. Its only just now that I noticed that you guys call it episodes. So anyway, whats the difference? Is there a difference or does episode just sound cooler? (Im not english, sorry, was thinking about further studies though, that's why I'm interested)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
I was always under the impression that the word "episode" was traditionally used for tv shows and "chapter" for pretty much all kinds of literature. ... So anyway, whats the difference? Is there a difference or does episode just sound cooler? (Im not english, sorry, was thinking about further studies though, that's why I'm interested)
There is a difference. Berserk has story arcs, chapters and episodes, each with their own definitions. Here's a longer post where I spent time explaining why there is a difference.

Walter said:
There is a proper categorization system to the series that goes beyond merely the volume numbers. It's a part of the title of each and every episode. It's divided by story arcs, and major events. Miura created it himself, and he's stuck to it every single episode since 1992, so he must think it's pretty important. But since you seem convinced I'm trying to pull one over on you, I'll undertake extra effort to explain the point:

arc-chapter-episode.jpg

See the portion I've outlined in red? It goes like this: 第307話 · 千年帝国の鷹篇/ファルコニアの章/ファルコニア ... Which translates to Episode #307 -- Millennium Falcon Arc / Chapter of Falconia / Falconia.

Now let me show you why: The 307 is preceded with which means "number" and then designated with a which translates to "counter for stories, episodes of TV series, etc." And Falconia is designated with a which translates to "chapter".

I'll repeat: 話 does not equal 章. These are two distinct words, with distinct meanings. One is episode, one is chapter. The reason they are kept separate is because they refer to categorizations of the story. Arc / Chapter / Episode. It's a system that spans multiple volumes. If you want a full breakdown of where the arcs and chapters are, check here: http://skullknight.net/manga/

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to what Walter just reiterated, you also need to understand what the word "episode" actually refers to: an instalment in a series. To go farther and quote the dictionary: "A brief section of a literary or dramatic work that forms part of a connected series." The word itself was used long before TV was invented, to refer to the serials of yore. A story released in one sitting can't have episodes, but a series does by definition, whether it's a TV series, a radio series or a literary series.

This is also why we say that a series like Berserk is released episodically. Now, in itself this fact isn't antinomic with considering individual issues of a series to each be "chapters" of said series if an author wanted to do so, but as you can see above it's not the case when it comes to Berserk. There are arcs, there are chapters, and the episodic instalments are appropriately called episodes.

Top Bottom