Episode 334

Rupert Sinclair said:
Having thought about it, of course it's like that. Hearding livestock around and into Falconia is probably difficult while being constantly attacked by astral creatures. I feel dumb now for pointing it out... :farnese:

Not so fast. Remember Falconia is protected by those wing stones, so it wouldn't be a problem having some livestock. Maybe Falconia's society is vegan, but I see this mentality too advanced, even for Griffith's "utopia".

Doc said:
There's definitely a totalitarian/NWO subtext to the whole concept of Falconia, intended or otherwise.

In his current position, Griffith surely consider himself a kind of Messiah. This probably have been discussed before, but I don't discard the idea that sooner or later, Griffith will attack the other safe places in the world (like Elfhelm) in order to maintain his kingdom's hegemony.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Tripas said:
This probably have been discussed before, but I don't discard the idea that sooner or later, Griffith will attack the other safe places in the world (like Elfhelm) in order to maintain his kingdom's hegemony.

Because of where it's situated, Elfhelm isn't exactly a viable alternative to Falconia to anyone but those already there.

Tripas said:
Not so fast. Remember Falconia is protected by those wing stones, so it wouldn't be a problem having some livestock.

My logic was that livestock would still have to be brought in from the outside world, unless the World Spiral Tree can sprout baby cows too...

Walter said:
Because of where it's situated, Elfhelm isn't exactly a viable alternative to Falconia to anyone but those already there.

Obviously, Elfhelm is not a problem right now. But considering that it's the home of the elfs and of numerous (some of them, powerful) magicians and that Griffith will probably try to expand his power, I don't see it too strange in the long term.

Rupert Sinclair said:
My logic was that livestock would still have to be brought in from the outside world, unless the World Spiral Tree can sprout baby cows too...

Well, maybe in their rescue expeditions some soldiers achieved to save some farmers and a little amount of livestock (like pigs or chickens). Besides, there is the option of hunting astral creatures :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Tripas said:
Obviously, Elfhelm is not a problem right now. But considering that it's the home of the elfs and of numerous (some of them, powerful) magicians and that Griffith will probably try to expand his power, I don't see it too strange in the long term.

Well, you initially said he'd attack Elfhelm to secure his reign, because it's another safe place. But humans won't consider Elfhelm a safe place if they a) don't know it exists b) have to traverse the Western Sea to get there. As for the good old "Elfhelm is threat #1" theory, we'll see.

Changing subjects, I was reminded of something I honestly forgot from years ago, back in the episode 307 thread.

From Volume 10:
gaiseric-halfmoon1.jpg
gaiseric-halfmoon2.jpg

And in Episode 307:
falconia-halfmoon1.jpg

We had a discussion earlier in the thread about whether any particular iconography would be replaced. Well... the answer appears to be yep.

Walter said:
Changing subjects, I was reminded of something I honestly forgot from years ago, back in the episode 307 thread.

We had a discussion earlier in the thread about whether any particular iconography would be replaced. Well... the answer appears to be yep.

Really cool stuff. Skully's gotta be pissed. :SK: :griffnotevil:

Skeleton said:
So it really is hell on earth! :troll:

:ganishka:

Walter said:

Neat !

Walter said:
I also believe this motif, seen around the whole city, is related to the dome/orb.
All will be answered soon, so no need to go too hardcore. What do you guys think is inside that huge thing?

Is it possible that the common/remaining symbol between Gaiseric/Griffith is the Orb ? It would obviously mean that the Orb was already in the ancient city, probably used by Gaiseric like Aaz said, as gate/bridge connected to the Astral World :SK:

Walter said:

From Volume 10:
gaiseric-halfmoon1.jpg
gaiseric-halfmoon2.jpg

I had always thought that Gaiseric's sigil represented an Eclipse.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
I had always thought that Gaiseric's sigil represented an Eclipse.

Yeah, same. It still might have represented that. And this is Griffith's iteration on it, which represents something else.

Walter said:
What are your expectations for that giant, mysterious dome that's in the palace region?
I think it may be a power source/generator. Or a water reservoir. Maybe a grain silo?

Lithrael said:
it's the lens of a massive eye just you wait and see

Massive eye of a massive Behelit? :carcus: :troll:
Personally I don't think it's anything so obviously magical (the people of Falconia might not be happy with a gigantic eyeball in their midst). More like a gigantic building to me.

I've been following this forum for years and now with this new episode I decided to finally make a account too, although registering here was a pain, anyway nice to meet you all.
As for the episode itself it was worth the wait, nice to see some old characters, the ending felt like something dark is about to happen so I'm looking forward to it. :guts:

The shot where we see the city from above reminded me a lot of this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Bundesarchiv_Bild_146III-373%2C_Modell_der_Neugestaltung_Berlins_%28%22Germania%22%29.jpg

And in case you didn't know what it is, it was Hitlers future plans for Berlin and the huge dome building was to be the biggest dome ever created. I see some similarities there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
asic said:
The shot where we see the city from above reminded me a lot of this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Bundesarchiv_Bild_146III-373%2C_Modell_der_Neugestaltung_Berlins_%28%22Germania%22%29.jpg

And in case you didn't know what it is, it was Hitlers future plans for Berlin and the huge dome building was to be the biggest dome ever created. I see some similarities there.

Indeed, I think I actually mentioned this in the 307, thread back in the day. The big, grand structures are definitely reminiscent of it. And you bring up a good point about how striking the central road leading to the capitol is. Afterall, Hitler was the guy who dreamed of the Tausendjähriges Reich (THOUSAND YEAR EMPIRE). He was a monster, but man... I'd have liked to see that city, from a purely architectural perspective.

Alucroas

Abomination
So would it be safe to assume Femto plans on sacrificing the people of Falconia as a sort of last-ditch effort to save himself in the hypothetical event that Guts does manage to find a way to run him through with the Dragonslayer?

I'm referencing the crescent moon and eclipse moon its half-consuming.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Alucroas said:
So would it be safe to assume Femto plans on sacrificing the people of Falconia as a sort of last-ditch effort to save himself in the hypothetical event that Guts does manage to find a way to run him through with the Dragonslayer?

I'm referencing the crescent moon and eclipse moon its half-consuming.

I dunno if I'd say that's likely. As a member of the God Hand, he shouldn't have anything left to sacrifice. Remember, the Count's double-sacrifice was to correct the error that had been made before in letting Theresia survive, and really a result of Guts' interference in bringing the beherit to him inadvertantly. That scenario also presumes that Griffith cares so deeply for every vagrant that piles into his city.

It is tempting to tie Falconia's destruction to a ceremony we're already so familiar with, and it does make sense that with all the focus on demonic ceremonies that we'd see at least one more again. But I personally get the feeling that the city's (nation's?) destruction will be something unforeseen, something cataclysmic. Afterall, Gaiseric's city was swallowed up by the earth. I don't think we've seen anything that parallels that kind of phenomena.

As to the symbolism of that eclipse insignia, keep in mind that symbol has changed. But for Gaiseric, it could be a number of things, but it certainly doesn't seem logical to me that it's foreshadowing. Rather, it makes more sense it was created to represent something that occurred in the past.

While technically Griffith shouldn't have anything left to sacrifice, since his mortal ties were severed during the Eclipse, Miura has already shown he's willing to bend the rules for plot purposes, namely the Beherit-Apostle. You could argue he was one of a kind, but then Griffith/Femto is an even greater exception. It would be profoundly poetic if Guts forced Griffith to sacrifice his 'dream' once again. Not that I expect the author to go down this route, at least not in such simplistic terms.

I'm keen to find out if the mechanics of Beherits/Apostles has been affected on some level by the world merger. Will the nature of the ceremonies change now that the God Hand inhabit the physical realm? What will happen if Griffith's demon army dwindles before the fantasy creatures (and unrelated parties :guts:)? Will he have a back-up plan to harvest Apostles in a similar way to Ganishka? Questions, questions, questions!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
While technically Griffith shouldn't have anything left to sacrifice, since his mortal ties were severed during the Eclipse

It's beyond that. He'd sacrifice people he doesn't care about, and in what circumstance? A special ceremony presided by himself and his buddies? And in order to gain what? There are multiple problems with that idea.

Doc said:
Miura has already shown he's willing to bend the rules for plot purposes, namely the Beherit-Apostle.

The Beherit-Apostle is a pretty specific case in many regards, but I wouldn't say it's really bending the rules since whatever rules there are have always been relatively loose in how they could be interpreted. Another unusual case is Ganishka, specifically his foggy apostle form, but again nothing ever said such things weren't possible.

Doc said:
I'm keen to find out if the mechanics of Beherits/Apostles has been affected on some level by the world merger. Will the nature of the ceremonies change now that the God Hand inhabit the physical realm?

I wonder if there are even going to be new ceremonies at all. There might exist a simpler process now.

Aazealh said:
It's beyond that. He'd sacrifice people he doesn't care about, and in what circumstance? A special ceremony presided by himself and his buddies? And in order to gain what? There are multiple problems with that idea.

Perhaps not necessarily the denizens themselves, but Falconia and its personal significance to Griffith. It's not like everyone in Albion was cherished by the Beherit-Apostle when he sacrificed the "world" around him, on the contrary if anything. As for what might bring about such an action, I was building on the original proposition: that Guts somehow develops a means of destroying Griffith with the Dragonslayer.

Aazealh said:
The Beherit-Apostle is a pretty specific case in many regards, but I wouldn't say it's really bending the rules since whatever rules there are have always been relatively loose in how they could be interpreted. Another unusual case is Ganishka, specifically his foggy apostle form, but again nothing ever said such things weren't possible.

It was certainly a departure from what we had hitherto gleaned about Apostles & sacrifice in the Berserk universe. In hindsight, sure, the rules can be loosely defined but it was fairly black and white how the process worked before the Beherit-Apostle entered the equation. After all, what if anything was the Beherit-Apostle, if not causality's loophole for having Griffith incarnated?

Top Bottom