Episode 335

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't know how anyone can complain about pacing when this is one of the most epic episodes we've got in a while, even more so when considering how long its been since we last saw Griffith in person. Even with his disguise he's such a fasinating antagonist and an amazing character I can never get enough of him, certainly never find him "boring". The artwork is just brilliant. The way Miura conveys size and scope in his art is masterful. The angles he's using are perfectly effective. I feel as if I'm right there with Rickert feeling dwarfed entering this massive fortress, staring up at how impossibly high it goes. Like it was built by giants.

These last few episodes into Falconia have been amazing start to finish, and the best has yet to come. Shame on anyone who can't see that :azan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I'm not seeing an episode title. Anyone else? Ah, there it is. Top left. Too small to read.

The title is: "Divine right of kingship". It's also what Locus tells Rickert about on page 18.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
The title is: "Divine right of kingship". It's also what Locus tells Rickert about on page 18.

Thanks. Well, it certainly fits. It's really quite a neat twist Miura's making to the traditional meaning of the phrase. What with "god" being something wholly different in the Berserk world. It's pretty terrifying how irrevocably Griffith has cemented his rule.

I absolutely love page 4 (Rickert looking UP). Fucking amazing.

So, Elfhelm next episode? More Falconia? What's the overall opinion?

I would be surprised if we got any major screen time with Roderick and Co before Rickert has his meeting with Griffith. Isn't that what he received the summons for in 334?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
I would be surprised if we got any major screen time with Roderick and Co before Rickert has his meeting with Griffith. Isn't that what he received the summons for in 334?
It is true that leaving the story here would seem to betray all the Griffith/Rickert hype that's been building since 333. Seeing him perform miracles from afar isn't really much of a reunion. There's definitely room for more.

The only real reason I was suggesting the transition could happen now is the break (which across the past decade almost always accompany a perspective transition). But then, there've been breaks since the series returned from hiatus. A 1-2 month break between releases could simply be the new norm (I'd also be totally down with a slow but predictable release schedule).

Someone earlier criticized the pacing here as slow. I really don't see how that can be said if you consider the actual story events independent of these release hiccups. Just four episodes ago, we were watching the Moonlight Boy fly across the sky, and now we're in the heart of Falconia after one of the series' biggest reveals -- quite a lot has transpired.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Jaze1618 said:

Well I was on that side earlier, thinking that we might get the conversation before switching to Guts and co. But seeing that there is no date for the next episode I'm starting to think that we might have that switch before we see (if we'll see it at all) the conversation. Because how I see this episode (and I might be totally wrong about that) maybe this was the audience with Griffith...

So a little bit of money on the arrival at Skellig Island at least... (a man can dream right?)

Walter beat me again to what I was thinking with the break.

On a side not I don't mind the 1 month or 2 month break.

Oh shit.... I never imagined it going in this direction. I'm so fucking happy and stoked to see the new episode now. Thanks everyone for sharing the images, you made my day.

Walter said:

I'm thinking more Falconia. This event can't be the only reason why Griffith summoned Rickert. I think if we were going to transition to Guts it would've been after last episode.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I don't see the POV moving until after Griffith and Rickert's meeting. I think it could transition after maybe Griffith makes a revealing comment to Rickert to create some kind of cliffhanger/tension.

Delta Phi said:
I don't see the POV moving until after Griffith and Rickert's meeting. I think it could transition after maybe Griffith makes a revealing comment to Rickert to create some kind of cliffhanger/tension.

I know I've been reading too much Robert Kirkman, when reading your post has me imagine a tense 1:1 meeting between Rickert and Griffith next episode, with an abrupt and shocking ending where on the final page, Griffith kills Rickert suddenly and without warning. (via a Shang Tsung style soul steal no less). "I don't want you spreading rumors about me." Ala his last words to Gennon.

Leaving readers to ponder what's next for poor Erica, when the following episode transitions to back to Guts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
I know I've been reading too much Robert Kirkman, when reading you post has me imagine a tense 1:1 meeting between Rickert and Griffith next episode, with an abrupt and shocking ending where on the final, page Griffith kills Rickert suddenly and without warning, (via a Shang Tsung style soul steal). "I don't want you spreading rumors about me." Ala his last words to Gennon.

Leaving readers to ponder what's next for poor Erica, when the following episode transitions to back to Guts.

Yeah, this is kid's stuff for Femto. There's no need to do anything like that.

Walter said:
Thanks. Well, it certainly fits. It's really quite a neat twist Miura's making to the traditional meaning of the phrase. What with "god" being something wholly different in the Berserk world. It's pretty terrifying how irrevocably Griffith has cemented his rule.

I absolutely love page 4 (Rickert looking UP). Fucking amazing.

I'm of the opinion that we are still going to get more Falconia next episode. Rickert, from what it looks like currently, still hasn't had a proper chat with Griffith about all the events going on. We also still haven't seen the inside of the throne room. Though I could see that being saved for more important events such as a war meeting on the raid of Elfhelm.

I also think Miura has big plans for Elfhelm and wants to save that for later; especially since that will finally be when we get off the boat which will no doubt be a glorious moment for all fans.

In other news, I am glad to be a part of this forum! Chose to watch the anime in November due to the fair amount of praise it, or the manga I should say, got. After finishing it I bought the Dark Horse collection of Berserk and been a fan since. Even got a friend to go out and buy the series.

Thanks again Walter and Aazealh for keeping this community alive with your guys' activeness in it (and creation of course).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
medicalmidget said:
In other news, I am glad to be a part of this forum! Chose to watch the anime in November due to the fair amount of praise it, or the manga I should say, got. After finishing it I bought the Dark Horse collection of Berserk and been a fan since. Even got a friend to go out and buy the series.

Thanks again Walter and Aazealh for keeping this community alive with your guys' activeness in it (and creation of course).

That's great to know. Welcome aboard! :SK:

medicalmidget said:
Though I could see that being saved for more important events such as a war meeting on the raid of Elfhelm.

I honestly just cannot see that happening.

CheAkiwara

大天使 ~ ボイド
Hey guys :)

Before I get to my main point , I just wanted to say you guys have an AWESOME community for Berserk here ,
never thought there would be this kind of community for this truly fantastic manga !

I predict that in the next episode, we will have Rickert talking alone with Griffith in the "throne room" or whatever , and
Rickert will say something along the lines ; "Guts told me about the ...[eclipse] why would you do that?!" and Griffith will respond that it was necessary for humanity. I hope the last page of 336 will be a HUGE panorama of Elfhelm / Skellig , just like Miura did with Falconia. :)

As I said previously, I think pacing-wise #336 will check in with Guts & co. For one, we've probably got all the set-up with Skellig to come before any major developments. And secondly, I can imagine Miura doing a juxtaposition between Griffith telling Rickert his version of the Eclipse, and Casca having to relive the real thing before her sanity can be restored.

Ah the fallen angel on earth, manipulating humans by offering them paradise, haven, desires and comfort within his domain. Will someone survive 40 days and nights to counter him? :iva:

Oburi said:
I don't know how anyone can complain about pacing when this is one of the most epic episodes we've got in a while, even more so when considering how long its been since we last saw Griffith in person. Even with his disguise he's such a fasinating antagonist and an amazing character I can never get enough of him, certainly never find him "boring". The artwork is just brilliant. The way Miura conveys size and scope in his art is masterful. The angles he's using are perfectly effective. I feel as if I'm right there with Rickert feeling dwarfed entering this massive fortress, staring up at how impossibly high it goes. Like it was built by giants.

These last few episodes into Falconia have been amazing start to finish, and the best has yet to come. Shame on anyone who can't see that :azan:

Well said my friend, and yes I did definitely notice...so no shame on me :) lol! Every Berserk episode is simply stunning to watch and read. Literature, philosophy, and politics are my passion and nothing in this generation of literature compares to Berserk. I can't even read what their saying and I'm already in awe :p lmao

As for the pacing issue some people have, I actually agree with Aazealh in that its sad people still think such wrong ideas. Read it in bulks and your complaints will be thrown out the window. Miura does not write these episodes in relation to the time spent in between the releases. He paces his episodes in a way that makes everything go smoothly once you read it all at once...the way it's supposed to be read. The pacing only feels long because people are simply impatient for the next episode to come out. That simple.

Also another thing I want to point out is if this soul controlling technique of Griffith's is actually real? Are those actually the souls of dead loved one's or is he once again manipulating the minds of people by just showing images of the dead? And yes, I'm well aware that they talk, but they don't exactly say anything important or personal.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IronBerserk said:
Also another thing I want to point out is if this soul controlling technique of Griffith's is actually real? Are those actually the souls of dead loved one's or is he once again manipulating the minds of people by just showing images of the dead? And yes, I'm well aware that they talk, but they don't exactly say anything important or personal.

We don't have any reason to believe that it's an illusion, or that it's something beyond his power, or that he's faking it. Where do you see them talking...?

Walter said:
We don't have any reason to believe that it's an illusion, or that it's something beyond his power so he's faking it. Where do you see them talking...?

He might mean in volume 23, when we see Griffith pulling this stunt the first time. A father tells his wife and child to "Be well..." before disappearing. But anyway, I don't think it's an illusion.

Rupert Sinclair said:
He might mean in volume 23, when we see Griffith pulling this stunt the first time. A father tells his wife and child to "Be well..." before disappearing. But anyway, I don't think it's an illusion.

Exactly, I was talking about volume 23. The man tells his wife and child, "take care" or "be well..." depending on which translation you read. I'm willing to bet this is all a hoax. I mean, Griffith is still a Godhand. The last time I checked, the Godhand were not able to manipulate the spirits of the dead. Maybe they can manipulate to a certain extent evil spirits, the ones that end up in hell like we see in the first arc with the Count. But even then I'd be skeptical. People who end up in hell seem to be part of a rule or law that not even the Godhand can touch.

Of course right now I'm just playing guessing games through observation. Definitely could be all wrong.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IronBerserk said:
Exactly, I was talking about volume 23. The man tells his wife and child, "take care" or "be well..." depending on which translation you read.

Got it. I'd forgotten that panel.

I'm willing to bet this is all a hoax. I mean, Griffith is still a Godhand. The last time I checked, the Godhand were not able to manipulate the spirits of the dead. Maybe they can manipulate to a certain extent evil spirits, the ones that end up in hell like we see in the first arc with the Count. But even then I'd be skeptical. People who end up in hell seem to be part of a rule or law that not even the Godhand can touch.

These are recently deceased spirits, still clinging to the corporeal world. It's different from those bound to the vortex of souls. I don't think it's farfetched to assume a God Hand can do something like this at all, considering what he was able to do against the Skull Knight.

It actually sounds like it'd be more work for him to create a fake light show involving those specific dead people.

I also don't think it's logical to go so far as to limit the exact relationship between the God Hand and the Vortex, as so far it's been rather nebulous. It's tied to ceremonies, and bestowing power. But we don't know for sure that the God Hand don't have some way to control or direct it. But if I had to guess, I'd say it acts independently but in mutual benefit to the God Hand's ceremonies. But there's no rule on that.

IronBerserk said:
The last time I checked, the Godhand were not able to manipulate the spirits of the dead.

I don't think we can make any presumptions about the extent of the God Hand's power quite yet. They are still largely a mystery to us and what's been shown of their powers thus far have been quite extraordinary. Manipulating recently departed souls doesn't surprise me at all and it certainly carries some disturbing implications. :femto:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
After seeing what Void did to the Skull Knight's strike during the Eclipse, as well as Femto's displays of power during the Count's 2nd ceremony, the Eclipse, and what happened atop Ganiska, there's no reason whatsoever to deny what he's doing is real. I won't completely rule out the possibility that it's an illusion, but I bet it's definitely within Griffith's power to recall (recently deceased) spirits.

Top Bottom