Episode 338

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
He can certainly make himself quite compact, as evidenced by his first appearance and the incident on Zodd's wing among others, though he's still physically all there, which implies that besides his drapings there's really not a lot to him. The panel where he appears like a shadow on the ground is interesting, but a big vague and stylistic (especially with the speech bubble obscuring it). It begs the question how these traits will manifest in his transformed state, if at all. Maybe he'll become a super Tapasa in a bit of irony. =)
...
Yeah, while they otherwise don't have much in common, Rakshas is also quite unique and his one form so far already seems quite special compared to your average Apostle (though you could say that about so many of them now I may need to refine my definition of "average Apostle").
Man, our next podcast is shaping up to be the RakshasCast. :rakshas:

Despite all this debate, Rakshas' body is still basically a blank canvas to me. I'll be surprised and pleased by almost anything (Spider-Man Carnage homage aside...). But what's interesting is that Miura's not actually painting on a blank canvas. He's left a few clues about what's under that cloak, which may as well be a curtain while Miura finalizes the design for public consumption.

-Bone-cracking sounds associated with him compressing his body
-Sharp appendage pokes through cloak
-Slinks when moving
-Three eyes (not just a mask)

So all these little hints scattered since his first appearance have to be consistent with whatever form we eventually see. And then the real fun starts: His transformed figure, where all bets are off.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
The panel where he appears like a shadow on the ground is interesting, but a big vague and stylistic (especially with the speech bubble obscuring it).
Clever use of the speech bubble by Miura. When I first glanced at the page i think I actually mouthed at that panel "get out of the way"!
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
Man, our next podcast is shaping up to be the RakshasCast. :rakshas:
Fine by me, to be fair though I guess we should also talk about Rickert and his friends. Though im actually more interested in Silat's agenda (secret of the Falcon, indeed), and Locus playing the role of Julius (not a cool look, even for a supernatural cyborg centaur).

Despite all this debate, Rakshas' body is still basically a blank canvas to me. I'll be surprised and pleased by almost anything (Spider-Man Carnage homage aside...).
Well, I wouldn't want him to look like that interpretation, but something resembling a classic Carnage/symbiote design wouldn't be a bad fit, actually.

But what's interesting is that Miura's not actually painting on a blank canvas. He's left a few clues about what's under that cloak, which may as well be a curtain while Miura finalizes the design for public consumption.
I wonder, speaking of Locus, perhaps we've been looking at the wrong comparisons and Rakshas relationship with said cloak is more like Locus' armor rather than a shroud to hide him. There's plenty of precedent for Apostle attire symbolizing their transformed state, and some of Griffith's lieutenants have taken this further, even incorporating such items into their transformation; with that in mind it's not beyond the pale to imagine that cloak coming alive. Imagine the eyes and "teeth" on his mask becoming real and the texure of his cloak becoming sleek, jet black, sinewy and alive and I'd be ready to shit my pants. :ganishka:

Oburi said:
Clever use of the speech bubble by Miura. When I first glanced at the page i think I actually mouthed at that panel "get out of the way"!
Haha, I was more scared for Rickert, with Rakshas literally using his menacing words to cover his movement! If they'd sent Rakshas to give Rickert the talk instead of that big metal tool Locus none of this would've happened because Rickert would have been too preoccupied looking over his shoulder to raise a hand to Griffith, "I know you'll be polite, because I'll have all three of my eyes on you." :rakshas:
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Griffith said:
I wonder, speaking of Locus, perhaps we've been looking at the wrong comparisons and Rakshas relationship with said cloak is more like Locus' armor rather than a shroud to hide him. There's plenty of precedent for Apostle attire symbolizing their transformed state, and some of Griffith's lieutenants have taken this further, even incorporating such items into their transformation; with that in mind it's not beyond the pale to imagine that cloak coming alive. Imagine the eyes and "teeth" on his mask becoming real and the texure of his cloak becoming sleek, jet black, sinewy and alive and I'd be ready to shit my pants. :ganishka:
That is a pretty damn good idea, and I could totally see it come to fruition. Would be completely alien.
 
I know it is a common (and likely) assumption to make but I don't think Raksas has ever been officially confirmed/explicitly depicted to be an Apostle in the manga has he?
 
Something I just considered: We've already seen Rakshas' Apostle form. With a few exceptions we saw all of the apostles during the eclipse event. There's been hints that Rakshas might be insectoid... I'm going through and speculating based on his mask appearance now. Three eyes and those teeth on the mask are some clues. I think I'd be happy either way, and by that I mean 'oh that was Rakshas' would be cool, but a new form would be equally welcomed.
 
Theozilla said:
I know it is a common (and likely) assumption to make but I don't think Raksas has ever been officially confirmed/explicitly depicted to be an Apostle in the manga has he?
We are yet to see Rakshas in his apostle form but that doesn't mean he isn't one. It's pretty certain he is an apostle. He's depicted as someone who has lead apostles, is drawn to and loyal to Griffith like other apostles are and if you consider his behavior, he does as he pleases or roams about freely among other apostles which isn't something a mere human could easily do.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Theozilla said:
I know it is a common (and likely) assumption to make but I don't think Raksas has ever been officially confirmed/explicitly depicted to be an Apostle in the manga has he?
He doesn't wear an "I'm an apostle" shirt, but then again neither do any of the others. He is however a monster, and a commander in Griffith's apostle army (to which he refers as "we"), so there is literally no reason to assume he is anything but an apostle. Just like Irvine, Locus or Grunbeld.

Kruge said:
Something I just considered: We've already seen Rakshas' Apostle form. With a few exceptions we saw all of the apostles during the eclipse event.
None of the other lieutenants were there (even Zodd stayed out!), so I don't expect Rakshas to have been.

Kruge said:
There's been hints that Rakshas might be insectoid...
I don't know about that man, what we have on him is pretty thin. I think that he'll have a pretty unique design, like the others. Maybe with inspiration from some mythological creature(s), but it's honestly one of those things that is practically impossible to guess (which is why I'd really love it if we could guess it :ganishka:).
 
Aazealh said:
He doesn't wear an "I'm an apostle" shirt, but then again neither do any of the others. He is however a monster, and a commander in Griffith's apostle army (to which he refers as "we"), so there is literally no reason to assume he is anything but an apostle. Just like Irvine, Locus or Grunbeld.
I don't think Raksas is human either, but I just thought it might be possible that Raksas could be some unspecified other type of non-Apostle inhuman monstrous being.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Theozilla said:
I don't think Raksas is human either, but I just thought it might be possible that Raksas could be some unspecified other type of non-Apostle inhuman monstrous being.
I know that's what you thought, but Rakshas isn't a mysterious monster of a type we never knew existed that's not an apostle but just so happens to look and behave exactly like one. Ask yourself: what purpose would it serve for things to be so convoluted when for all intents and purposes it makes no difference at all? Rakshas is an apostle. He came to Griffith along with all the other apostles, he serves as an officer in the apostle army, he identifies as an apostle, he has all of the typical apostle traits... And he will very possibly show us his apostle form in the next episode.

You know, I like to remind people every time this is brought up that when the apostles first came to serve Griffith in Shet, some folks speculated that they were something else, another type of being. Maybe legendary creatures brought to life, that kind of thing. When we learned more about them and the demon corps they formed, most people figured it out: they were apostles. But some refused to see it. Then Grunbeld was revealed to be an apostle. And yet some still believed! He must have been the exception, but the others were different. Then it was Locus' turn. No matter, Irvine and Rakshas are surely too special to be apostles too! But it turned out Irvine was also an apostle after all. "Who'd have thought?!" And now, finally, Rakshas is the only one left. By now it should be clear that he's an apostle just like the others, but no, not to some, never. When we get to see him transform, I'm sure there will be people out there who will express their surprise. But honestly, it's been a foregone conclusion for over a decade.
 

Kompozinaut

Grail Serpico!
Aazealh said:
You know, I like to remind people every time this is brought up that when the apostles first came to serve Griffith in Shet, some folks speculated that they were something else, another type of being. Maybe legendary creatures brought to life, that kind of thing. When we learned more about them and the demon corps they formed, most people figured it out: they were apostles. But some refused to see it. Then Grunbeld was revealed to be an apostle. And yet some still believed! He must have been the exception, but the others were different. Then it was Locus' turn. No matter, Irvine and Rakshas are surely too special to be apostles too! But it turned out Irvine was also an apostle after all. "Who'd have thought?!" And now, finally, Rakshas is the only one left. By now it should be clear that he's an apostle just like the others, but no, not to some, never. When we get to see him transform, I'm sure there will be people out there who will express their surprise. But honestly, it's been a foregone conclusion for over a decade.
:ganishka: I must have missed that discussion.

It just reminds me to not take some people's current speculation and theories (Such as those about the Moonlight Boy or the Skull Knight) too seriously--that is, let them think what they want and move on, so long as they aren't spreading blatant misinformation--since ridiculous speculation and theories were made over what appears to be even the most mundane and obvious subjects since this has probably gone on as long as the series has been in serialization.
 
.. Thx for the summary ..

Aazealh said:
The girls comment on the fact he's got a connexion to Griffith and might be a friend of his. They try to seduce him, but Erica is pissed off and repels them.
Rickert comments: "But... I can't stay here."
.. That means, no more bath with Luca ? :slan: .. snif ...
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
It just reminds me to not take some people's current speculation and theories (Such as those about the Moonlight Boy or the Skull Knight) too seriously--that is, let them think what they want and move on, so long as they aren't spreading blatant misinformation--since ridiculous speculation and theories were made over what appears to be even the most mundane and obvious subjects since this has probably gone on as long as the series has been in serialization.
There really aren't many things left in Berserk that haven't been part of some crazy theory.

flagawax said:
.. That means, no more bath with Luca ? :slan: .. snif ...
Yes, that's the one big takeaway from this episode.
 
Walter said:
That *headless* statue at the end... Could it be...?
The ruins themselves interest me quite a bit actually. The rest of the ancient city was restored to perfect, pristine condition throughout most of Falconia and yet this one little section was left in ruin. Could it be that this was a shrine of sorts for the old king ( :SK: ) that was left this way as a sign of disrespect. Maybe even the remains of his old palace, if this is just a small portion. It also must be a very remote part of Falconia as we can finally see a little beyond the city (the far off mountains in the background). The perfect place for Rakshas to have his meeting with Rickert. :rakshas:
 
Rupert Sinclair said:
The ruins themselves interest me quite a bit actually. The rest of the ancient city was restored to perfect, pristine condition throughout most of Falconia and yet this one little section was left in ruin. Could it be that this was a shrine of sorts for the old king ( :SK: ) that was left this way as a sign of disrespect. Maybe even the remains of his old palace, if this is just a small portion. It also must be a very remote part of Falconia as we can finally see a little beyond the city (the far off mountains in the background). The perfect place for Rakshas to have his meeting with Rickert. :rakshas:
Yeah the ruins interest me as well especially since everything else that we have seen is like you said, pristine and perfect. Are they there just to give credibility to the legendary city or as a show of disrespect like you said? Maybe it is a weakness of some kind, a possible way in or tie to the old world.

Or it's just cool setting for a fight. :badbone:
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's certainly exciting to consider, particularly for a big Gaiseric nerd like myself, who's been dying for any new hints about his era since Falconia appeared. But since the episode landed, I've kind of sobered on the notion that the figure is Gaiseric.

Primarily, I think it'd be unlike Miura to finally give us a look at that character with little to no acknowledgement of it. As it's shown here, the figure is apparently sitting on a throne and is central to the framing of that scene, which draws attention to itself, but it really could just be anyone. Afterall, there are tons of statues all over the place (admittedly, most of them have heads, but that could just mean this was a statue that was in progress...). What makes it Gaiseric, necessarily? Our desire :farnese:

As for why that section of the otherwise spotless city appears to be in disrepair, I have no solid explanation. Perhaps it's commonplace, and we just haven't seen enough of the city. Perhaps it's merely a reflection of how that section stood in Gaiseric's time. Counter to that, we know that when Femto waved his artistic brush across the old city, he spruced the old designs up a bit. So if he had the opportunity, why leave that part in ruins...? Indeed, it's a good question, and one that quite possibly won't be answered.
 
Top Bottom