Episode 338

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
man thank you Aaz for that summary. This, this is getting to another level of interesting. I really can't wait to see what will happen with Silat and the tapasa. Very intriguing. I like Rakshas's speech too!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
:isidro:

We get the episode early AND we get a full summary AND most of a translation, all within a few minutes of its release. Thanks to Aaz and Puella for all this labor!

:ubik:

Aazealh said:
Rickert is impressed that there are many technological advances in Falconia. Waterways, bathing places, public toilets, roads... He reflects on the fact that "if this city is the city of legend, the advances of civilization and technology are at the top, better than any other country". Luca tells him "But you're the one who's great because you revive them!

Wow, while Gaiseric's city always evoked a Grecian atmosphere, I'd never considered that there would also be lost technologies as well.

Luca gets into a grand speech: "In life, sometimes you get somebody precious. But whether it's somebody who is with you or somebody who already left you, somebody close or somebody you walked away from... No matter what you choose, there's always regret. But at least you shouldn't make excuses to yourself."

Once again, Miura tying various threads together. This line can be applied to many character relatioonships of course.

The girls are fawning: "Ah you are great Luca. Don't you regret about Jerome?"
Luca: "His wife is too fierce. I couldn't fool her, and I'm not that type of woman."

I was wondering where Jerome was...! But I guess we should have seen this coming, given the tenuous future those two had together, him being a noble and all. It's too bad -- I liked that guy.

Daiba: "Being young is good."

Poor Daiba -- he has to live with his choices. Probably still shaken by the loss of his leader, and considering the path that led everyone here.

Someone replies :rakshas: : "Ah, that's too bad..."
Rickert: "Darkness?"
Rakshas: "Separation with your family, it's so hard and lonely, but you don't have to worry."
Rakshas: "Even if you disappear, your family will be taken good care of under the protection of the Falcon in this city."
Rakshas: "Your family will live without any problem."
Rakshas: "So, please go without having any regrets."

So... Rickert really was intent on leaving. It's almost cruel, to leave Erica like that, after she had pledged that she'd follow him.

Silat: "Is it the order of the Falcon himself, or is it a trick of that knight, Locus or whatever? Anyway, that boy seems to know the secret of the Falcon..."

Such a cool turn -- Rickert is suddenly a valuable asset to both parties, all over the slap.

What an intesting development. Thanks Aazealh for the summary.

So glad to see :rakshas: again. He is ever so protective of Griffith. I wonder if it is really as Silat said, that it's all Locus' doing? I do not think Griffith is behind it.
And I guess it's possible that Rakshas is acting of his own accord.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
So... Rickert really was intent on leaving. It's almost cruel, to leave Erica like that, after she had pledged that she'd follow him.

I'm not sure he'd completely made up his mind yet, though he was clearly giving it serious consideration. But that does raise the question of whether or not they'll be separated, assuming he flees with the Bakiraka. And it's honestly hard for me to see how he could stay now even if he wanted to, unless Griffith intervened directly to tell the apostles to hold off. On that note, I do expect Griffith to eventually reprimand Rakshas and/or Locus if he learns what transpired here.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Good God what an episode! What a great way to return! I was blown away by Rakshas' entrance and double-blown away by the attack by Silat and his crew. This is going to be GOOD.

Miura does a fantastic job of keeping the mood so eerie and tense. I feared for Rickert's life the whole time I was reading.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Fantastic stuff, I'm so glad we didn't just move on from that monumental moment but are getting to see the waves immediately. I guess we already talked about this at length, but seeing the consequences in motion really makes the point; Rickert touched the one that's supposed to be untouchable, it's not just a personal affront to Griff and his men, it's a threat to the foundation of their... existence (sounds extreme, but just like that they're no longer invincible and omnipotent, and an already disturbing number of important and influential people know it). Basically, Rickert bitch-slapped God, so the fallout is arguably muted thus far. =)

Man, so Griffith gets slapped and rejected (we know he doesn't take that well), his men are possibly being insubordinate (let the undermining begin), and on top of it all the Bakiraka infiltrated his defenses to the point they could mark him, the pope and the queen, and witnessed the whole shameful episode. And now they're brazenly challenging his top men in his city for the person that shamed him. Whatever happens next, for a guy that rules the world, Griff is having a bad fuckin' day! Just like that it's all coming apart. :rickert:

Aazealh said:
On that note, I do expect Griffith to eventually reprimand Rakshas and/or Locus if he learns what transpired here.

For not killing him sooner? :griffnotevil: :rakshas:

P.S. Some belated Puck math: :guts: :zodd: < :SK: < :femto: < :rickert:

So, Rickert is our true hero and possibly "the ultimate strong one." =)

We get to see a good amount of progression from just one episode, amazing! Thanks Mangetsu, Aaz and puella.

Back off Locus, you're ruining the building. Expected and lovely way to show his reaction. Good to see the old gang sit together in that one panel. I think my favorite panel from the episode is Rickert turning to look at the statue and the sun setting in the background, both perfectly aligned.

Edit: I'm really glad we didn't get a few images as spoilers and instead got to read a full episode in one go. Much more pleasurable experience. It wouldn't matter if it was for a series I was just a casual reader of.

Thanks for the summery! Looks like a lot happens here. It is so cool to see how all these characters who have been affected by Guts seem to have come together.

I wonder if Rickert recognizes Silat? He seems to focus on the chackram, I bet he does. The old ruins in Falconia are interesting too. Some actual parts unmodified or restored of the original city?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Man, so Griffith gets slapped and rejected (we know he doesn't take that well)

It's funny that for all the focus on the slap, Griffith actually doesn't seem bothered by it, it's more the fact Rickert denied him that he seems to be contemplative about.

Anyway, I'm back to furiously thinking about Rakshas' apostle form. :rakshas: How will he emerge from that shattered pillar? Slowly rising up in his apostle form, his broken mask falling off his horrific insectoid-like face? I'd imagine him oozing out from the debris and re-forming a new body but that's just too out there.

Anyway that's the most detailed shot we've ever gotten of his arm/hand yet, and it looks even more inhuman than the last time we saw it. It's basically a stinger. Given his background as a former Bakiraka member and his current attributes, I'm thinking his apostle form will have two obvious requirements: be very fast and very agile. Also probably poisonous. I could picture whip-like appendages that can strike quickly and accurately, not unlike the Urumi. As for inspirations, there's the classic spider/insect possibility, although it's guaranteed to be something original (just look at Grunbeld, Locus and Irvine if needed). Plus Miura's already done quite a few of those. And I'd propose an invertebrate like an octopus if we hadn't also already had our fill of seafood with the Sea God, plus his bone-cracking sounds when contorting himself back in Shet. Then of course there's Indian mythology, which I'm sure will play a part. I could picture him having big, bulging eyes for example. Anyway, what do you guys think?

I also think we could learn some of his backstory soon, given that all the required actors are there. Could go two ways in my opinion: he was the best at his craft among the Bakiraka clan, then was maimed or met failure in a way or another and chose to sacrifice. Or maybe he couldn't measure up to the standards and necessities of the clan from the beginning, maybe because of a deformity or some such, and sacrificed to overcome that, and got exiled as a result.

Bender said:
I wonder if Rickert recognizes Silat? He seems to focus on the chackram, I bet he does.

I don't think he focuses on the Chakram, that's just a shot for emphasis by Miura. However I do believe he'll remember him.

Bender said:
The old ruins in Falconia are interesting too. Some actual parts unmodified or restored of the original city?

Seems so!

Griffith

Aazealh said:
It's funny that for all the focus on the slap, Griffith actually doesn't seem bothered by it, it's more the fact Rickert denied him that he seems to be contemplative about.

Yeah, presumably he had to let his guard down to allow the slap, his supposedly equally invincible force of personality is another matter. Rickert punctured that on his own and considering Griffith's position and probable plans it's not hard to understand why that's far more disconcerting. I wonder if he's merely contemplative or dazed and confused like the dumpee he is. =)

Anyway, I'm back to furiously thinking about Rakshas' apostle form. :rakshas:

I'd propose an invertebrate like an octopus

SPECTRE_Logo.png

More curious than that, when did he get back from Elfhelm!? :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I wonder if he's merely contemplative or dazed and confused like the dumpee he is. =)

We have a pretty introspective panel at the top of page 2 regarding that subject. His first documented frown since obtaining his new skin suit?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow. Incredible. Can we give credit where it is due. Silat not only being a complete badass in defending Rickert but infiltrating Falconia in such a fashion without apostles such as Locus discovering him. I wonder if there's more to his espionage than just hiding in the shadows. The whole end scene sets up a perfect opportunity to give us more about Rakshas, or like Aaz speculated give us his Apostle form. You've got to imagine Silat along with those Bakiraka would be enough of a challenge to make him change.

It's so good to have Berserk back. And on a regular schedule ... This is like Christmas for me. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Coolest moment for me in this episode was the coordinated attack by Silat and Tapasa -- that boulder was thrown in anticipation of where Rakshas would land after he dodged the chakram. I expect more awesome teamwork next ep :Daiba:

Oburi said:
I wonder if there's more to his espionage than just hiding in the shadows.

It's pretty significant that he witnessed the slap.

You've got to imagine Silat along with those Bakiraka would be enough of a challenge to make him change.

Well don't forget this is the third time these guys have squared off, at this point. And it's never gone well for Silat and crew in the past. But this time, I can't see either party backing down, which is what makes it more exciting.

jackson_hurley

If it comes down to a fight, which is what it looks like its going to turn out, I hope Silat will get out of it okay! To have make him survive that long in the series, it'd make me shed a tear if something bad happened to him. By the way I'm a bit confused : is there still 4 Tapasa?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
By the way I'm a bit confused : is there still 4 Tapasa?

Yes, there are still four Tapasa. They just rarely infiltrate a place all together. Silat usually only takes two of them with him, probably to draw as little attention as possible.

Damn, I never thought Griffith would have Rickert capped, but the again he can't have "A loose tongue spreading petty rumors."

:rakshas:

I am interested in seeing the Rakshas vs Tapasa fight that might occur, the Tapasa, they're in desperate need of a strong opponent so that they can show off.

I'd just like to echo others who said thanks to puella, Aazealh, and Mangetsu! What a treat! :guts:

Aazealh said:
Anyway, what do you guys think?
Rakshas seems to be very flexible and able to condense himself down to being very small, like when he squashed down to look like a ball the last time he fought the Tapasa. Maybe he has a structure with a lot of joints to allow for that. Kind of like this :
expanding_sphere_hoberman_mini_ball_kids_toy_.jpg

Only, probably just a little less brightly colored! :ganishka: And not shaped like a sphere, I was just using this to show how I thought some of his joints might be able to expand and contract. As far as actual form maybe more like this:

Only with a more organic look instead of so machine-like and with longer, more expandable legs.
He might also look something like a scorpion. That stinger reminded me of a scorpion's tail.

I wonder if there will necessarily be a full out battle between Rakshas, Silat, and the Tapasa. I guess it depends on whether Rakshas' attack on Rickert was sanctioned by Griffith or not, which as Walter mentioned I doubt since Griffith waved Locus off earlier when he wanted to intervene. If Rakshas was acting on his own then he might not want to draw a lot of attention to his assassination attempt on Rickert and instead of fighting, which would cause a big ruckus, he might just pull a disappearing act. It'll be really interesting to see how it goes. :ubik:

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
Yes, there are still four Tapasa. They just rarely infiltrate a place all together. Silat usually only takes two of them with him, probably to draw as little attention as possible.

Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't so sure anymore. Since especially, like you said, he brings (Silat) two with him most of the time. When was it that we saw the gang together? With the merging? The one scene I recall for sure is the gathering of apostles around Griffith.

Anyway yeah it's better not to bring up too much attention considering the apostles in Falconia. Wow august is gonna be long but hey I'm ready for it!

ps: I forgot to thank also Puella for the hard translation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
When was it that we saw the gang together?

Episode 294 in volume 33.

jackson_hurley said:
The one scene I recall for sure is the gathering of apostles around Griffith.

There were only two of them with him in Shet.

Anyway, a better question to ask is how many of them will be left after this encounter with Rakshas. If he gets serious, their survival is not at all guaranteed, despite their impressive skills.

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
Anyway, a better question to ask is how many of them will be left after this encounter with Rakshas. If he gets serious, their survival is not at all guaranteed, despite their impressive skills.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'd like for them to survive that encounter.

Griffith

Walter said:
We have a pretty introspective panel at the top of page 2 regarding that subject. His first documented frown since obtaining his new skin suit?

Griff's put on some appropriately sober and somber faces, but that's obviously the most personal instance. He seemingly recovered well though, but the million dollar question is whether Locus and Rakshas have gone rogue or if they're merely following their master's, even unspoken, desire. The last guy to slap and embarrass Griff only for him to laugh it off didn't fare too well in the long run.

Oburi said:
Wow. Incredible. Can we give credit where it is due. Silat not only being a complete badass in defending Rickert but infiltrating Falconia in such a fashion without apostles such as Locus discovering him. I wonder if there's more to his espionage than just hiding in the shadows.

Like a state-of-the-magical-art sneaking suit? :daiba:

I have to give badass of the episode status to Rakshas, even though the Bakiraka literally crushed him at the end. His movement, his dialogue, his entire aura. He does sinister like nobody's business. That sneering double speak that basically amounted to, "ha ha, relax, you've got nothing to worry about because you're going to die now, but not before I make you think about it first." He's so purely malevolent, but makes it look cool.

Oburi said:
The whole end scene sets up a perfect opportunity to give us more about Rakshas, or like Aaz speculated give us his Apostle form. You've got to imagine Silat along with those Bakiraka would be enough of a challenge to make him change.

If it were any other Apostle I would assume it a forgone conclusion that such "mortal" damage to his "human" form would precede a transformation, but as my scare quotes indicate, Rakshas is a unique case, and because that seemed almost too easy (to the Bakiraka's credit, they've been paying attention =), I also wouldn't be shocked if it's a chance for Rakshas to show off his durability by oozing out from under that pillar, completely unhurt, like the slime he is. :rakshas:

Aazealh said:
That's pretty much 100% impossible.

Oh yeah! *puts on patented speculatron helmet* "What if... that's a headless statue of... Gaiseric... Griffith's predecessor as head of the city... and whose head Rakshas has claimed for himself: CONNECTION FOUND!" *exhales deeply* In any case, it was neat considering his initial predilection for heads. =)

Aazealh said:
jackson_hurley said:
That's what I'm afraid of. I'd like for them to survive that encounter.

If the Rakshapus throws that pillar right back at them I'm sure they'd be wise enough to beat a hasty retreat with Rickert in tow, but even that, as Silat once said, could mean losing something.

P.S. My post count...

tumblr_inline_nbebb9vQ8D1r8l6sh.gif

I've been anticipating making this joke for approximately 8,999 posts. =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
I have to give badass of the episode status to Rakshas, even though the Bakiraka literally crushed him at the end. His movement, his dialogue, his entire aura. He does sinister like nobody's business. That sneering double speak that basically amounted to, "ha ha, relax, you've got nothing to worry about because you're going to die now, but not before I make you think about it first." He's so purely malevolent, but makes it look cool.

Someone replies :rakshas: : "Ah, that's too bad..."
Rickert: "Darkness?"
Rakshas: "Separation with your family, it's so hard and lonely, but you don't have to worry."
Rakshas: "Even if you disappear, your family will be taken good care of under the protection of the Falcon in this city."
Rakshas: "Your family will live without any problem."
Rakshas: "So, please go without having any regrets."

That is really cold. And yet it's like Rakshas is almost having mercy on Rickert. Giving words of comfort before taking his life. He truly is frighteningly powerful.

Top Bottom