Episode 341

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Title: Soaring escape​

Pretty busy episode, as expected. Rakshas was planning to use Erika to put out the small fire remaining on this body, as we'd guessed. Daiba intervenes, using his main skill: animal charming. Who could have guessed he kept so many critters around! When I saw the first shot of the first snake, I almost believed for a split-second that he'd found and tamed another Kundalini somehow. Anyway, the snakes and rats distract Rakshas while Daiba helps the group escape (overcoming initial suspicion from the Bakiraka as he asks them to let him join). The Garuda plays a key role there, as expected, and the unknown of how they could all be carried away is answered in the simplest manner: there is not one, but three of them.

As Falconia residents start wondering what's happening, Daiba throws Luka a bag of diamonds to repay her for her kindness and they fly off... And Rakshas follows them in the air! Now don't go telling me that guy isn't versatile. Rickert takes care of it with a goddamn rocket launcher though :ganishka:, putting an end to the pursuit. As Rickert and the others fly off, he turns back at a lone figure watching them leave: Griffith. A shot reminiscent of when Guts left Vritannis for Elfhelm.

Of note: Griffith is himself despite the full moon, which adds to the mystery of the Moonlight Boy.

It's obvious enough, but Young Animal pretty much confirms we will switch to Guts' side (in their words: "there will be a new development") in the next episode, as I had predicted. Before anyone asks, it will be published on November 27.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Daiba kicks so much ass. What a fantastic episode, good Lord. It was a really stylish episode, too! I noticed a lot of thicker lines, especially on the close-ups of Daiba.

What's interesting to me is that Griffith was standing outside watching. Was that a coincidence or was he making sure that Rakshas was getting the job done?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
What's interesting to me is that Griffith was standing outside watching. Was that a coincidence or was he making sure that Rakshas was getting the job done?

That's the question now, isn't it? Especially since his face (and by extension his expression) isn't shown. I think it could still go either way: him having ordered Rakshas to do it, or just bearing witness to the situation. Either way, he chose not to get involved directly.

At this rate, by the time Guts reconnects with Rickert he'll have created an atomic bomb and a jet to deliver it. :ganishka:

ETA: By the way, thank you so much for posting the link and the summary of it, Aaz! I appreciate it so much. :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
At this rate, by the time Guts reconnects with Rickert he'll have created an atomic bomb and a jet to deliver it. :ganishka:

Lol yeah, to be honest I feel like it's pushing it a bit, even considering Rickert's talent. Although I guess he's intimately familiar with crossbows and projectile flight mechanics as well as with gunpowder, so... combining the two makes sense. Plus, he had already designed a shell-based system for Guts' cannon, and that's miles ahead of the simple cannonballs everyone else uses. Now I'm just excited to see what he comes up with next! A gun?!

Skeleton said:
ETA: By the way, thank you so much for posting the link and the summary of it, Aaz! I appreciate it so much. :)

You're welcome!

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
tumblr_nwiwq3l4CO1sr2kmoo1_250.gif

I'm dyin' :troll:

What a fantastic episode!!!

Whoa, excellent detail and angles aside, there's so much amazing stuff that happens! Thanks for the link and summary Aaz.

That panel of Rakshas flying makes him look like part eel or fish or something reminiscent with fins. Narrow escape, it looked like Rakshas caught up with up in the air them pretty quick. Love the right panel with him falling down, in flames. Falconia's high outer walls look super ominous, half dark.

Think Luka and crew will take the money and leave the city? Although she's been hiding herself, think she's in danger or Rakshas noticed her around the action to question her later on?

Aazealh said:
Before anyone asks, it will be published on November 27.

Was gonna ask, thanks for that!

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Gotta hand it to Miura, everyone had some idea of what we would be seeing in this episode, but he pulled it off in a way I didn’t see anybody predict that was still a perfectly logical sequence, though a reveal of multiple garudas (garudae?) isn’t something you could guess easily.

I don’t have much to say about the rocket launcher other than I feel it works with the universe we’ve been shown well enough. If anyone could do it, it's Rickert and all he really needed to do at this point is cram a few of his inventions together. Not to mention Falconia is a bastion of cutting edge tech so it could be he had some good framework to work with. Though it would be a scary revelation if Falconia was mass producing weapons like that already.

It made for a really cool end to our Falconia escapades, but the way it just sought of moved on from Rakshas after he couldn't pursue anymore rather than really show us the damage makes it seem like he’ll be back after all. Unless there’s a scene or two more It seems like you win this round Aaz. :rakshas:

Anybody else struck by just how fantastical that final scene is? Rickert and his companions flying off into the moonlit sky on the backs of three giant bird-bats framed by titanic ethereal branches. It’s like Guts’ rescue at the hands of the merrow taken to a whole other level. There's this cute little thing developing that for all the evil that the world transformation unleashed on the world, the heroes have been able to control or befriend a least a part of it that's helped them in ways nothing else could have done before.

Wonder what Luca means to do with all those diamonds. I'm sure the context for that is addressed in the dialogue but it doesn't seem like leaving Falconia was ever a monetary issue. Seems very elaborate for repairs as well, maybe just a nice token of thanks for looking after him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Admiral_Yang_Wen-li said:
Anybody have any ideas why Luka didn't join them? Rakshas knows she was with Rickert and the others who escaped. Wouldn't she be in danger now?

She never planned to join them, and did not have the opportunity. It's also not sure Rakshas really paid attention to her and the girls, nor whether he cares or not. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what their life in Falconia is like from now on.

IncantatioN said:
Think Luka and crew will take the money and leave the city?

To go where? And how? They'll have to make do with Falconia. However it will given them some flexibility within the city, allowing them to infiltrate the higher classes or to put potentially nosy characters off their trail.

Squiddot said:
Gotta hand it to Miura, everyone had some idea of what we would be seeing in this episode, but he pulled it off in a way I didn’t see anybody predict that was still a perfectly logical sequence, though a reveal of multiple garudas (garudae?) isn’t something you could guess easily.

Actually, not to brag but I'd say Walter and I predicted it pretty damn accurately given the circumstances, from the number of episodes involved to how the events would play out (Daiba saving the day, the airborne escape with Garuda...).

Squiddot said:
the way it just sought of moved on from Rakshas after he couldn't pursue anymore rather than really show us the damage makes it seem like he’ll be back after all. Unless there’s a scene or two more It seems like you win this round Aaz. :rakshas:

Yeah he'll be back for sure, that wasn't nearly as damaging enough to take him out. Just managed to stop the pursuit at the last moment. I look forward to the next time we see him in battle. And yeah I was right (of course), but I'll magnanimously dispense with rubbing it in your face. :casca:

Squiddot

Aazealh said:
Actually, not to brag but I'd say Walter and I predicted it pretty damn accurately given the circumstances, from the number of episodes involved to how the events would play out (Daiba saving the day, the airborne escape with Garuda...).

Oh yeah, everyone knew that would go down. the thing I meant was the use of animal charming to distract Rakshas with snakes and rats, which we had gotten a big hint of with his handling of the horses.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Squiddot said:
Oh yeah, everyone knew that would go down.

Haha come on, now you're handing me the stick to beat you with! :ganishka:

Anyway, the full moon in these episodes makes me wonder whether the Moonlight Boy will make an appearance when we switch to Guts' side.

Squiddot

Aazealh said:
Anyway, the full moon in these episodes makes me wonder whether the Moonlight Boy will make an appearance when we switch to Guts' side.

It also makes me wonder about the passage of time, It was a full moon the last time we saw Guts on-board the ship so either the perspective jump knocked us back a few days that we've just caught up to again or the poor old crew got ferried by merrow for at least another whole month.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm loving this monthly schedule. Thanks for posting the episode and summary, Aazealh!

I love Erika's expression when she sees the Garuda for the first time.

AphurB5.png

I guess my theory about Griffith turning into the Moonlight Boy like some kind of a werewolf is shot, given that he's standing right in front of the full moon at the end of the episode.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Rhomby said:
I guess my theory about Griffith turning into the Moonlight Boy like some kind of a werewolf is shot, given that he's standing right in front of the full moon at the end of the episode.

Maybe that's just it, he's just staring in the distance, becausehe's not there, he's far far away, as a boy. And everytime time the full moon appears, Griffith just says : " I'm going for a walk." :ganishka:

Ok joke aside, very very nice episode. Merci beaucoup Aaz!

I said last episode :" who would have thought we'd see a flamethrower in Berserk?" Now let me rephrase that with :" Who would have thought. We'd see a flame thrower AND a fucking rocket launcher in Berserk?"

This episode just made my week! Now I'll winter come slowly while I wait for November!

such a great episode! great Daiba!!! great finisher by Rickert. rakshas is huge! :rakshas:, that page of him chasing them was great. I'm also glad miura showed the civilians of falconia reacting to the ruckus outside. looking like we won't get griffith's crowning anytime soon either. looking forward to the next episode!

Amazing episode. Some unexpected help from Daiba using snakes and Rats. And three Garuda! The guys been busy breeding them I guess.

I wonder if Rakshas is down for the count? Probably not but it does appear that his head was seperated from his body by that explosion. But then again he uses that mask as a decoy all the time now.

Anyone else feel like the art has taken a shift here? Bolder lines with a bit more of a cartoony look, especially on Daiba and the Garuda? I kind of like it, it looks cleaner. Almost reminiscent of the Lost Children art style.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Squiddot said:
It also makes me wonder about the passage of time, It was a full moon the last time we saw Guts on-board the ship so either the perspective jump knocked us back a few days that we've just caught up to again or the poor old crew got ferried by merrow for at least another whole month.

I think it's pretty clear that time will have elapsed since the last time we saw Guts. It wouldn't make sense for the solitary island to have been so close to Skellig, and I expect them to be arriving there. And they're not being ferried by merrows, just guided/accompanied.

Rhomby said:

Indeed, we at least have got some clarification (however little that is) in that regard. Still doesn't help us figure out how it works though.

Johnny Apples said:
I wonder, though, is Rakshas actually capable of flight? Or is he using his body strength to propel himself into the air? :rakshas:

He can fly. The flaps on his body act like little wings.

ApostleBob said:
I wonder if Rakshas is down for the count? Probably not but it does appear that his head was seperated from his body by that explosion. But then again he uses that mask as a decoy all the time now.

You can be 100% sure he isn't. It's also not clear to me whether he was actually split in half or if it's just an effect of the fire and he's still attached. Either way, no major character dies like that, ever.

ApostleBob said:
Anyone else feel like the art has taken a shift here? Bolder lines with a bit more of a cartoony look, especially on Daiba and the Garuda? I kind of like it, it looks cleaner. Almost reminiscent of the Lost Children art style.

Daiba's close-up shots are drawn with bolder lines specifically, but that's clearly an artistic choice for his character. Other than that it looks the same as usual to me. Keep in mind the print and scan quality also play a big role in how it looks.

That was fantastic.
Never thought that the bold Rakshas would ever get out of a fight in that state. And that bazooka? Jesus. As I too expected, Daiba showed up. It was his golden time. And also the only ticket out of the city after all the mess. Just wait until Locus finds out. :rakshas:
But I get even more hyped after knowing by our good ol' YA that we're going to switch to Guts' side next month, because IT'S BEEN A LOT. :judo:

Aaz called it with the insect like aspects of Rakshas. Those claws are definitely insectoid and remind me of a Mantis.

It's strange how little Rakshas fought or did once transformed. Once the snakes arrived he pretty much stops all action. Aaz is there something said here that explains this more? Is he afraid of snakes or something like this?

Also as we leave Falconia, I think it's interesting that the two Apostle captains we didn't see are the same two who were sent to exterminate Flora. Might they be on similar tasks to solidify Griffith's rule? Zodd and Grunbeld certainly are capable enough. But to be honest I'd be really surprised if we saw them in Skellig. It would feel to similar to what's happened before and I think our heroes need a break and an info dump.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
It's strange how little Rakshas fought or did once transformed. Once the snakes arrived he pretty much stops all action. Aaz is there something said here that explains this more? Is he afraid of snakes or something like this?

They just restrained his movements by coiling around his body and various appendages (while the rats nibbled at it I guess), and did so long enough that the group could escape. But keep in mind it's all supposed to be happening very quickly, so in truth it didn't delay him all that much.

ApostleBob said:
Also as we leave Falconia, I think it's interesting that the two Apostle captains we didn't see are the same two who were sent to exterminate Flora. Might they be on similar tasks to solidify Griffith's rule? Zodd and Grunbeld certainly are capable enough. But to be honest I'd be really surprised if we saw them in Skellig. It would feel to similar to what's happened before and I think our heroes need a break and an info dump.

I did mention that Zodd would be on a mission against Elfhelm a while back for a joke. After all, he can fly and isn't afraid to bite more than he can chew. But no, I don't think it's happening. I'm sure he's up to something however, with or without Grunbeld, and we'll find out about it soon enough. I like the idea of them being out there in the wilderness, butchering astral creatures. I mean I can't be the only one who wants to see Grunbeld take on a real dragon, can I?

Aazealh said:
I like the idea of them being out there in the wilderness, butchering astral creatures. I mean I can't be the only one who wants to see Grunbeld take on a real dragon, can I?

That would be an amazing way to come back from Elfhelm. Cut to Grunbeld taking down a massive dragon. Maybe Zodd could smack down a Minotaur.

Top Bottom