Episode 342

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Theozilla said:
Yes, and I am sorry about that. My social/comprehension discussion skills (I have been told I can be overly literal) have been something that I have always struggled with my entire life (largely due to a neurodevelopmental psychiatric disorder that I have). I don't mean to be pedantic/redundant in my conversations that is not my intention, I only wish to generate discussion on the series.
I see. Sorry to hear about that. Anyhow, a sure way to generate discussion is to speculate. What do you expect for the next episode? Will the fight against the scarecrows be quickly over with, or does that magical field hold a few more surprises for our heroes? Will the witches get involved? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on what's to come next.
 
This episode was exactly what I thought it would be, but was very exciting to read anyways. I'm sure everyone else is just as excited as I am at the prospect of restoring Casca, so I'll ask something else.

Do you think Farnese will vastly improve her magical skills/capabilities on Skellig, I'd like to think its obvious there's a good chance that Schierke will, but how about our newbie witch?

What purpose could Azan serve on the island? He is a capable fighter and obviously can help defend their group, but I don't think Miura would point out that he's accompanying them onto the island unless he had some role to play..... Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

I have more to speculate about but I'll save it for now, Christmas can't come soon enough! :ubik:
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
N7Paladin said:
Do you think Farnese will vastly improve her magical skills/capabilities on Skellig, I'd like to think its obvious there's a good chance that Schierke will, but how about our newbie witch?
Sure, that seems like a logical expectation.

N7Paladin said:
What purpose could Azan serve on the island? He is a capable fighter and obviously can help defend their group, but I don't think Miura would point out that he's accompanying them onto the island unless he had some role to play..... Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.
Azan has been holding back for a long time now, and I think it's about time he returns to the forefront a little. That means admitting who he is but also getting new (magical) gear and finding a purpose.
 
Aazealh said:
Hello Maginus, and welcome to our community. If I may issue you a recommendation, I think you will benefit in the future from reading or at least skimming what others have said in a thread before posting your own thoughts. It helps answer questions as well as keep the discussion productive and less redundant.

Time does flow on Skellig (the island's name), just differently than from the outside world.

Like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it's clear Miura presented things that way so that the place would retain its mystery for the time being.

Well we'd already speculated back when the merging occurred that this might happen. Mind you, there were no "magical seals" that kept the astral world and the corporeal world separate. They merged when Ganishka was split open and caused the wave of light to cover the world. Also, while the stones were recently erected to ward off the curious, from what Puck says the strange magical field was already there when he left.

We don't know their age. They could even be younger than Schierke. It's also yet to be seen whether they have any assigned role or just happened to be there at the right time. So far the defenses have worked on their own.

No, I don't think that's a correct interpretation of what we're shown in this episode. Farnese believes that Guts will leave Casca on the island and then depart, so she doesn't even consider the possibility she will be cured. As for her becoming a "villain", that's groundless and basically impossible at this point. Will there be some drama caused by her feelings for Guts? Sure, if only for her own internal character development. But you're going way too far here.
Interesting, i not have analyzed this way. Well, it was just speculation.
 
All this developments got me extremely excited. I always wanted to see younger characters getting older. It's also a nice opportunity for Falconia to age. One thing i ask myself is how we will get to see the coronation of Griffith after this new developemnt.

I can't imagine a lot of time passing by, so i don't expect Guts to stay for too long on Elfhelm.

After rereading through some parts in Vritannis, i wonder now how a reunion between Isidro-Mule and Sonia-Shierke would be. The age difference could be kind of akward for them, but who knows. Till that happens a lot can happen anyways, maybe we will indeed see an older Isidro or Shierke.

The magic field was definitely a nice touch, i really like the designs of the scarecrows. Can't wait to see how all of this will look in the volume.
 
To expand on Aaz's discussion fuel regarding the scarcrows Im expecting there to be some sort of trick to defeating them other than Guts obliterating them with his trusty sword similiar to the golems at Flora sanctuary. I dont believe they will prove too troublesome for the group as they are only the first line of defense but surely there will be other obstacles that will be far more difficult. And again time wasted on these obstacles is exponentially, more or less, wasted in the real world.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think the fight will end soon as these witches/wizards realize these are no ordinary humans. Before that happens though, it'd be neat if the group was overwhelmed. A change of pace for the group and a chance to see what three magic users can do together. ... Or not :guts:

At for how it ends, maybe someone will recognize Puck, and call the fight off so he can explain things.

How do you think Schierke will be regarded by the other magic users?
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I think the fight will end soon as these witches/wizards realize these are no ordinary humans. Before that happens though, it'd be neat if the group was overwhelmed. A change of pace for the group and a chance to see what three magic users can do together. ... Or not :guts:

At for how it ends, maybe someone will recognize Puck, and call the fight off so he can explain things.

How do you think Schierke will be regarded by the other magic users?
I think it'll end because Schierke is with them. Maybe she'll cast a small spell and they'll stop out of curiosity of something of the likes.
 
Schierke's smart, I'm guessing she'll be able to pin point the location of who's behind the attack and maybe tackle them. It looks like there's a bit of distance between the three witches/ wizards and Guts & co. It could be possible they stop their attack when they see Schierke, a fellow witch.
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
IncantatioN said:
It could be possible they stop their attack when they see Schierke, a fellow witch.
Yeah this is pretty what I had in mind : "Look a fellow witch!" Okay probably not that way but you get what I mean.
 
It'll be interesting to see if any of Roderick's men will end up fighting much, as it appeared that some of them were drawing weapons in the last panel.

I am also really interested to what Azan's role will be in the future, especially since IIRC it seems that Miura originally had different ideas for his character. Like wasn't there some New Years art from 2000/2001 that Miura made that had Azan with Guts' new party (like Schierke was in it but only had her hat shown)?
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
It's also a nice opportunity for Falconia to age. One thing i ask myself is how we will get to see the coronation of Griffith after this new developemnt. [...] After rereading through some parts in Vritannis, i wonder now how a reunion between Isidro-Mule and Sonia-Schierke would be. The age difference could be kind of akward for them, but who knows.
Yeah that's actually one of the biggest questions out of this episode, and is why I'm circumspect about how the time lapse will work for now. There are several ways out of this, and I think it's too early to draw definitive conclusions.

Mangetsu said:
The magic field was definitely a nice touch, i really like the designs of the scarecrows. Can't wait to see how all of this will look in the volume.
Ditto, I dig both the otherworldly look of the field and the scarecrows themselves, who are unique to Berserk yet immediately felt classic.

Walter said:
How do you think Schierke will be regarded by the other magic users?
That's another big question. Prodigy or outsider? Embraced or frowned upon? I want to believe she'll receive a warm welcome. I hope she'll be respected for her vast abilities yet be provided with opportunities to grow. It will also be an occasion to learn more about Flora, from her peers no less, and that's something I'm very much expecting.

IncantatioN said:
It looks like there's a bit of distance between the three witches/ wizards and Guts & co. It could be possible they stop their attack when they see Schierke, a fellow witch.
The witches are not attacking so far, just watching events unfold.
 
The first view of the field of ward stones really reminded me of the Wingstones. I like how they are basically the antithesis of the Wingstones, where one keeps astral creatures out and allows humans in and the other keeps humans out and lets in astral creatures (or elves at least).
 
The color page Berserk got for episode 325 also ended up being used as the cover for volume 36. So there is a slight chance that the color page becomes the cover for volume 38.

Can't wait for Christmas. :p
 
Top Bottom