Episode 346

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! That looks awesome. That's all I'll say for the moment. Thx dude

Wow! so Danan actually transformed into an elf ? Totally did not expect that. Seeing all those creatures reminds me a lot of the Fantasia episode... Can't wait to see more!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
Wow! so Danan actually transformed into an elf ? Totally did not expect that. Seeing all those creatures reminds me a lot of the Fantasia episode... Can't wait to see more!

Yes, she seems to be like Isma, able to change from one form to the other. Lots of interesting things to see, even in just those few panels. Ivalera among her kind (she looks ill at ease), different types of elves (those big ones who take Farnese and Casca's hand), new types of benevolent, civilized astral creatures in the form of Centaurs and Fauns (to go with the Merrows), Puck's... siblings?! And of course Puck getting arrested by the guards :ganishka:, while playing the Elf King's part no less. And lastly, yeah, Danan's true form... Not quite sure what it is exactly (A kind of Nymph? Or is she really the Queen of the Flower Storm?!), but it certainly fired up my curiosity. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hearTes said:
2nd page, 1st panel, Are those elves? they look rather big.

They seem to be a new kind of elf, like I said in my previous post. But of course, we won't know for sure before we can read the full episode. We can see a lot of different creatures in those few panels...

But really, I think the big deal here is whether or not Danan is the Queen of the Flower Storm. And to be clear, I don't mean the wife of the King, I mean she's the King. He's a she (which is possible thanks to the Japanese language's general disregard for gender). In episode 345, both Ged and Puck tell Guts there's no need to hurry and so on, and it'd make sense if that was because the one he sought was already there... And then there are the flower petals covering her body and floating in the air...

On a side note, Puck seems to be the eldest among his brothers. He's one, then there's two, three, four, five (the spikes on their heads).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A smorgasbord of elves! We won't know the names of Miura's version of these creatures for some time (maybe sooner?), but it looks like fauns, centaurs, ents, some other forest creatures, and on and on, wow! Also, seems that Puck is the eldest of his brothers, if those bumps on the heads are of any significance. Hehe :puck: The weirdest creatures on there are those towering, shadowy figures... Not sure what to call them.

So, we're already wrapped up with Guts and the gurus, and it's on to the King/Queen of the Elves now. If this episode doesn't already reveal them, then it seems it'll be coming next. Pretty exciting times!

Aazealh said:
But really, I think the big deal here is whether or not Danan is the Queen of the Flower Storm. And to be clear, I don't mean the wife of the King, I mean she's the King. He's a she (which is possible thanks to the Japanese language's general disregard for gender). In episode 345, both Ged and Puck tell Guts there's no need to hurry and so on, and it'd make sense if that was because the one he sought was already there...

It could very well be. But perhaps it's all the years of considering a king that has me feeling reluctant about that idea right now. There's certainly some implied significance to that big shot of her. Likely the last page.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
It could very well be. But perhaps it's all the years of considering a king that has me feeling reluctant about that idea right now. There's certainly some implied significance to that big shot of her. Likely the last page.

I can understand that reluctance, since it's also not what I would have intuitively gone for. It feels somewhat odd for the leader of the elves to be working as a helper for humans on the side (and parading as a witch, too), although I'm sure there'll be an explanation for that in any case. But yeah, that shot of her is clearly meant to bear a strong significance, so the possibility immediately jumped at me, and hasn't left since. Maybe she's just a very important person instead (like a cohort?), or the shot is dramatized because the moment is big ("Welcome to Elfhelm")... But that just doesn't feel as likely. Either way I really can't wait to find out.

I wish Pucks Elfhelm conquest arc was more fleshed out, I wasn't expecting him to be taken out by Elf guards before he could confront the Elf King.

I don't see any reason why in a societey where elves and witches co exist peacefully that an elf needs to disguise itself as a human, maybe there's an interesting reason for this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wenliinvictus said:
I wish Pucks Elfhelm conquest arc was more fleshed out, I wasn't expecting him to be taken out by Elf guards before he could confront the Elf King.

It's hard to tell in that panel, but puella suggested he was trying to sit on the throne. Just like Griffith: he was so close, yet so far. :puck:

One episode, and we're introduced to a whole menagerie of new spiritual critters. Fauns, centaurs, new kinds of elves, and...other things. It's gonna' be crazy!

Wenliinvictus said:
Fear not! Puck may not be able to get the throne through conventional means, but he still has Betchi. With a proper sacrifice of enough cheese, he will surely be given a body that will allow him to achieve his dream to rule Elfhelm as king!

Wenliinvictus said:
I don't see any reason why in a societey where elves and witches co exist peacefully that an elf needs to disguise itself as a human, maybe there's an interesting reason for this.
If I would hazard a guess (emphasis on guess), whatever Danan's position in Elfhelm is (if she's not the King, it's likely a high-ranking one), she wanted to see the island's new guests for herself before meeting them proper. So she posed as a servant for the gurus, which would allow her to observe Guts and company quietly while their attention was diverted away from her. After all, nobody really pays heed to a servant, and it always worth a good laugh when they realize who you were all along :slan:. We'll see on Friday. Or...sooner, depending on when/if leaks show up.

Speaking of which...is it Friday yet? No? Dang.

So Danan might be Queen of the Flower Storm? :isidro: Even with what Aaz said about the Japanese language and genders, that's still a curve ball to me.

My hype for 346 is real.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Looks like Skellig isn't just an island with elves, but shares a host of satyrs, centaurs and possibly other mythological creatures as well. Not a surprise, but interesting.

Also looks as if Puck has decided to take the role as the Elf King himself in one of the panels, but gets rejected instantly :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DANGERDOOOOM said:
Looks like Skellig isn't just an island with elves, but shares a host of satyrs, centaurs and possibly other mythological creatures as well. Not a surprise, but interesting.

Definitely not a surprise, because Elves are a category of creatures in Berserk, within which are many. For example, Puck isn't just an elf, he's of the Piskies, wind sprites.

Looks like Miura might be throwing us a Yoda curve ball from Empire Strikes Back. 'Oh sure, I'll take you to Yoda, just have dinner with me first while I see what type of person you are.' It's not suprising, considering Miura's admiration for Star Wars.

Ged even hinted at this in the first meeting when he cautioned Guts to not be impatient, that it would reflect poorly to the King.

DANGERDOOOOM

Aazealh said:
I think the big deal here is whether or not Danan is the Queen of the Flower Storm. And to be clear, I don't mean the wife of the King, I mean she's the King.

I have my doubts that Danan is the King. Only because of one part in episode 345, either page 4 or 5 (online scans might have different page counts) Danan greets Puck, welcoming him back from his long return off island. Pucks response is pretty much just, "Yep".

If she was the King, I would think Puck's response to her would have a lot more weight and schock to it.

Unless he's unfamiliar of Danan being able to transform.

DANGERDOOOOM said:
I have my doubts that Danan is the King. Only because of one part in episode 345, either page 4 or 5 (online scans might have different page counts) Danan greets Puck, welcoming him back from his long return off island. Pucks response is pretty much just, "Yep".

If she was the King, I would think Puck's response to her would have a lot more weight and schock to it.

Unless he's unfamiliar of Danan being able to transform.

I dunno, Puck demonstrated being rather blasé on matters concerning the King of the Flower Storm. That or just thick. Either way, if she is the King, I think a casual greeting is the kind of thing Puck would do.

[quote author=Volume 28]
Farnese: Casca might be able to...?

Isidro: For real?!

Schierke: Yes. [The King of the Flower Storm] is said in legend to be a great elf king. I think there is little doubt.

Puck: Legend...

Isidro: That king where you're from's amazing!

Ivalera: Why'dya keep quiet?! A show-off like you?!

Puck: ...

Isidro and Ivalera: [whispering] He must notta known...
[/quote]

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
ApostleBob said:
Looks like Miura might be throwing us a Yoda curve ball

I like the way you think. Still, I'm guessing there's more curveballs to come where the King (or Queen) of the Flower Storm is concerned, but Danaan seems like a pretty big ruse when you consider all the other characters that would have been playing part of it (unless it's less a ruse than some custom). Of course, maybe the, uh, Monarch... of the Flower Storm is a more abstract entity or force of nature (Mother Nature, hey) that communicates through a medium.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Looks like Miura might be throwing us a Yoda curve ball from Empire Strikes Back. 'Oh sure, I'll take you to Yoda, just have dinner with me first while I see what type of person you are.' It's not suprising, considering Miura's admiration for Star Wars.

I don't think the parallel is perfect, but I know what you mean. Anyway, it's a concept that predates the '80s. It always felt to me like Lucas was cribbing from Homer's writings of Greek gods disguising themselves as humans before revealing themselves to the worthy.

I'm still not sold on Danan being the Elf King Ruler! But ... it sure is beginning to feel like a crumbling doubt :farnese:

DANGERDOOOOM said:
I have my doubts that Danan is the King.

Even if she turns out to be the ruler, she wouldn't be a "king."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:

The tradition for these kinds of things goes back centuries before Star Wars. Especially in Asia.

DANGERDOOOOM said:
Pucks response is pretty much just, "Yep".

No, he says a traditional Japanese sentence for when you get home.

DANGERDOOOOM said:

When has Puck shown deference to anyone, ever?

oh my god oh my god this is too cool, sooooooo many elves!!!!! :ubik:. really cool twist with danan, makes me wonder if we'll see more creatures that can turn into humans in the future! cannot wait to see the the doublespread(s) we get of elfhelm itself. those big elves that are next to casca and farnese look so cool especially the male, awesome mask. where are the dwarves though :judo: i need to see them now, i wonder if they'll look like the one he drew for chika's manga.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Shit, Centaurs, Fauns/Satyrs, big traditional fantasy elves? That's an army right there. Equip the centaurs with bows/arrows and you'll have unstoppable cavalry.

Not sure what to think about Danan.

where are the dwarves though :judo: i need to see them now, i wonder if they'll look like the one he drew for chika's manga.

Yeah me too. I hope we'll get some history on berserker armour and why it was built for humans ( plus why the design and the od )

DANGERDOOOOM

But haven't the past pronouns of the King always been described as 'he'? I thought the Skull Knight referred to the Elf King as male at one point. Wish I could look up these points more thoroughly, but I'm in the process of moving with all my books packed away.

Aazealh said:
No, he says a traditional Japanese sentence for when you get home.

Ah, well I assume the Japanese sentence must have somewhat of the same tone to what the translation version makes him say.

Aazealh said:
When has Puck shown deference to anyone, ever?

Yeah... good point haha

When Danan was first introduced I wondered if she was an elf. Both her unique appearance/clothes and her name (which reminded me of the goddesa Danu/Dana and specifically the Tuatha Dé Danann) were what made me wonder. It's nice to see that confirmed. I can't wait to see the episode.

Top Bottom