Episode 346

Pretty obvious at this point Guts is going to ride the Spirit Tree down into the Astral Realm.

No matter what, Casca is going to be cured, but what I'm dreading is the journey to Falconia and how long that's going to take.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Tass said:
Pretty obvious at this point Guts is going to ride the Spirit Tree down into the Astral Realm.

You are aware that the "astral realm" and the corporeal world have merged, right? The World Spiral Tree is the nexus of those roads -- it's what allows them to exist. Anyway, what would Guts be doing down there? The God Hand presumably are already roaming in the world thanks to the Blast.

No matter what, Casca is going to be cured, but what I'm dreading is the journey to Falconia and how long that's going to take.

You dread knowing that they are eventually going to go from A to B? That seems pretty shortsighted. It's not as if Miura isn't going to have developments along the way. There is still a TON of stuff to wrap up before the "final battle," presuming that even happens in Falconia. Plus, of course we'll be seeing how the world has changed over the years, how humans have survived, what "civilization" means in this new world. It's not going to be an unventful journey.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Plus, of course we'll be seeing how the world has changed over the years, how humans have survived, what "civilization" means in this new world. It's not going to be an unventful journey.

It will be very interesting to see how they live in the new world indeed. I'm wondering if, by the time we get back to a Falconia point of view, how many people will have move in the city.

I'm aware that's it's pretty much the only "safe house" in the world right now, but will everyone decide to go there. I mean there must be places that are far from Falconia and the trip there could be very dangerous.

Is Griffith slowly building a bigger army to take on the monsters and "liberate" outpost that are trying to survive against astral creature? I think we breached quickly that subject when we saw Rickert in the forge/armory...

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
jackson_hurley said:
I'm aware that's it's pretty much the only "safe house" in the world right now, but will everyone decide to go there. I mean there must be places that are far from Falconia and the trip there could be very dangerous.

If nothing else, we know the Bakiraka are still holding out in their village. With Rickert and Erika there, there's a good chance that could be the next stop.

Walter said:
You dread knowing that they are eventually going to go from A to B? That seems pretty shortsighted. It's not as if Miura isn't going to have developments along the way. There is still a TON of stuff to wrap up before the "final battle," presuming that even happens in Falconia. Plus, of course we'll be seeing how the world has changed over the years, how humans have survived, what "civilization" means in this new world. It's not going to be an unventful journey.

Now that you mention it, I dunno if its even possible to reverse the merging of the layers. Whether Guts and friends survive whats to come or not, this may very well be the new world till the end of days. It just can't be some incident that occurred and took (x) among of years to recover from. At some point everyone present in the world, and the generations to come will have learn to live with all these creatures.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
It will be very interesting to see how they live in the new world indeed. I'm wondering if, by the time we get back to a Falconia point of view, how many people will have move in the city.

Going a step further, will we see Falconia become so crowded that it turns newcomers away? I don't think so, myself, but it does raise the question of what the world's human population will be reduced to in a few years.

Is Griffith slowly building a bigger army to take on the monsters and "liberate" outpost that are trying to survive against astral creature? I think we breached quickly that subject when we saw Rickert in the forge/armory...

I think the war will be against astral creatures (who else), but more immediately, I think one of the first things Griffith would do is have his troops secure a route for survivors to make their way to Falconia on. I think that's basically what we were seeing when Rickert's caravan arrived on the doorstep of Falconia.

But the next step? I do wonder if there will be a kind of "forward operating base" for Falconia's campaigns as the troops travel well beyond the protection of the wingstones, and how they'll be defended. I wonder the same about the Bakiraka's village, and what kind of defenses they'll erect (other than its natural, mountainous terrain). But is a second "base" for humanity to live in even in the cards, given that the whole point of Falconia seems to be to herd humanity to one location?

Squiddot said:
If nothing else, we know the Bakiraka are still holding out in their village. With Rickert and Erika there, there's a good chance that could be the next stop.

I think it's going a bit far to say that's the "next stop" given how cloudy the horizon is right now. Of course, that makes sense scenario-wise, but not story-wise (right now), given that Guts and co. have no idea about that place, or Rickert/Erika living there.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Walter said:
I think the war will be against astral creatures (who else).

It will be interesting to see what else is out in the world then. The most dangerous communities we've seen so far have been trolls, which look to be no match against a group of well armed knights. And larger astral creatures seem to be solitary animals. Dragons could prove to be the most dangerous thing so far, but at that point i'm not sure what any amount of spear-men could do.

I also just realised that Pandemonium serves the dual purpose of satiating apostle's bloodlust and also educating them about the monsters they'll be facing in the new world.

Walter said:
but more immediately, I think one of the first things Griffith would do is have his troops secure a route for survivors to make their way to Falconia on. I think that's basically what we were seeing when Rickert's caravan arrived on the doorstep of Falconia.

We know that troops receive information from Sonia about future attacks. Considering the amount of manpower available, Griffith might have the resources to simply seek out any group of refugees that otherwise wouldn't survive the trip. Some good knights and a handful of apostles catered to whatever Sonia detects shouldn't run into too much trouble.

Walter said:
I think it's going a bit far to say that's the "next stop" given how cloudy the horizon is right now. Of course, that makes sense scenario-wise, but not story-wise (right now), given that Guts and co. have no idea about that place, or Rickert/Erika living there.

Yeah right now there's no plot point that can satisfactorily tie the two story-lines together. I'm approaching this from purely a meta perspective. But I've always held onto the notion that until Casca's insanity gets resolved, speculating on the party's next move is nigh impossible anyway. The Elfhelm journey has been it's own story, without a lot of overlap to the more universal story of defeating Griffith. And only when its out of the way will we start to see a clear path towards the next goal.

I'm gonna bring back the focus on the current developments or the ones that are near to come.

I was thinking how crowded is the throne room/area - which is appropriate considering the visitors (most probably a rare occasion in the everyday life of the Skellig's citizens), so everyone is curious/eager to see what is this fuss all about. There will be (probably) a short introductory and explanatory aspect (like why Danan acted so secretly, maybe the departure of Puck - that was talked about on the previous page - will be disclosed/was due to him finding the "Dark Beast" clothed in black from the elfin prophecy :p), before we get to Guts verbally state his wish towards the the elf ruler.

Those thoughts lead to; In my mind I was imagining the procces of curing to be more intimate - Guts, Casca, The ruler of the Elves - due to the circumstances of how personal and painful the Eclipse was. I also remember reading a very nice suggestions of how it will be done (similar to therapy) on the forums here as well and with which I agree. But - if my memory serves me right - it is given (to the community) that the party Guts gathered will/have to learn what happened with him in the past at some point and that point will be here on the Island. So do you think that this means all of them will witness the tragedy/massacre that transpired, do you think the Ruler will sent away his citizens and then proceed, or seclude/isolate the party in another specific area? I can see ourselves left with those 2 options, and as much as I expected an intimate journey to the mind of Casca, story wise and development wise it will be smart (and natural) if the whole party witness it (though, to me it will be weirdly disturbing feeling, like peeping into someones mind without his/her consent, or even as a simple side viewer). Of course, Miura can totaly (and will probably) surprise us with something entirely new :).

Another thing that was on my mind while I was thinking about all of this is the potential God Hand intrusion (something speculated before). How can such a thing be incorporated in the current advancement of the story. If it happens, how would that be reasonable and fitting. Which member would show up and how exactly. I think generally speaking if something of this caliber transpired, it's only logical to occur after Casca is cured. But then again, an interesting idea came to mind. Earlier in the episodes, something called/translated Corridor of Dreams was mentioned as a mean of helping/healing Casca. We all know or can deduce which God Hand member have the ability to play around with memories/dreams. Our little friend Ubik did so (and quite possible was part of the mass dream about the Falcon of Light) in the past. I have to point out that in these cases we see him operate (in both of them), he did so during certain events (I think it's far fetched to dig towards Guts Beherit specifically at the moment, but I'm gonna just mention it so you know I have that in mind). Of course the situation in the world now is different. If I'm to draw parallels, in Qliphoth Slan manifested herself due to the place, her desire and all the preceding events. Right now Guts is on a safe ground lessening the chances of God Hand showing up (at least at first glance). So my explantion/speculation for that to appear is Casca being healed. While they are in the Corridor of Dreams, looking for Casca's sanity between different mirror outlooks of her shattered mind, experiencing bits and pieces of her life, thoughts, memories, they will inevitable face the eclipse once again. Passing through that moment of her's, I imagine Ubik being drawn like a still painting in the background that detects what is going on and creepily manifest from the still image of the past into a lively present one. I can see him being manipulative towards Casca (making things worse in general) in attempts to convince her to forever stay in her "happy little island where her mind was hiding/she found piece" for example. One problem I can see is how will Guts be fighting there without his sword - I mean I see the process being more spiritual - in the mind - and lacking any actual physical sensations. Another one is, it's Berserk, and I think the way I put things together might contain a little bit too much esoteric stuff :D.

So what do you think guys?

p.s. Long (for my standards) posts are hard for me, excuses any inaccuracies of all kinds (I did try to clean stuff up, it took a lot of time to formulate my thoughts :().

DragoonBG said:

Interesting ideas, but I don't really see why Ubik would specifically want to target Guts and Casca. He finds Guts amusing, but hasn't really displayed any singular interest in him like Slan has. If Ubik were to make an appearance on Skellig, I imagine it would would likely be more of a full-scale attack on the island's inhabitants, rather than just mucking with an insignificant sacrifice for funsies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DragoonBG said:
maybe the departure of Puck - that was talked about on the previous page - will be disclosed/was due to him finding the "Dark Beast" clothed in black from the elfin prophecy :p), before we get to Guts verbally state his wish towards the the elf ruler.

Puck doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who had been searching for Guts all along. I think it happened like it appears -- he simply crossed paths with Guts and together they eventually became wrapped up in each other's travels, as companions.

Alternatively, I think it's possible we'll get some further explanation of what SK meant in Vol 14 when he said that perhaps Guts has a connection with the elves. Perhaps the Sovereign of the Flower Storm knows all about Guts and his travels. There are of course many examples of Guts being watched over by elves, from Chich, to the elf dust Judo (and subsequently Rickert) procured, to Puck. These could all be coincidences, but it may also have been the Sovereign's influence. While that may sound farfetched right now, it's clear that Miura is setting the Sovereign up to represent a great, transcendental power. A great display of that power would be to connect some of those dots for us.

But - if my memory serves me right - it is given (to the community) that the party Guts gathered will/have to learn what happened with him in the past at some point and that point will be here on the Island. So do you think that this means all of them will witness the tragedy/massacre that transpired, do you think the Ruler will sent away his citizens and then proceed, or seclude/isolate the party in another specific area?

I don't think that the restoration process is going to be done at this very moment. As you said, it's pretty crowded in that room, and I expect the restoration will be an intimate affair. As for Guts' party, I don't think they'll need to be treated to a magic light show to learn what happened between Guts, Casca and Griffith. I think they'll simply be told. Or maybe there's some other method that will be employed (magic light show).

Passing through that moment of her's, I imagine Ubik being drawn like a still painting in the background that detects what is going on and creepily manifest from the still image of the past into a lively present one.

That is a deliciously creepy image, even if I still I have a hard time believing it will come to pass. I do like your idea though -- that the darkness within Casca is what would allow one of the God Hand to (partially) manifest, even in the presence of the otherwise inhospitable environment of Elfhelm.

Cyrus Jong said:
Interesting ideas, but I don't really see why Ubik would specifically want to target Guts and Casca. He finds Guts amusing, but hasn't really displayed any singular interest in him like Slan has. If Ubik were to make an appearance on Skellig, I imagine it would would likely be more of a full-scale attack on the island's inhabitants, rather than just mucking with an insignificant sacrifice for funsies.

Well, they are branded as sacrifice, and the way I described it he happens to be there (it's a wild speculation, because we know very little in general about the God Hand), because of the (Walter explained it much better than me :() terrible nightmare that was the eclipse and which will be the catalist to make his appearance possible (I did't meant it to sound like Ubik is purposefully trying to hunt them). Which can lead to some kind of assault on the island through the Corridor of Dreams while they are healing Casca for example. The other more obvious choice is through the World Spiral Tree.

Walter said:
Puck doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who had been searching for Guts all along. I think it happened like it appears -- he simply crossed paths with Guts and together they eventually became wrapped up in each other's travels, as companions.

I guess my attempt at trying to be funny or half serious was bad :(.

Walter said:
Alternatively, I think it's possible we'll get some further explanation of what SK meant in Vol 14 when he said that perhaps Guts has a connection with the elves. Perhaps the Sovereign of the Flower Storm knows all about Guts and his travels. There are of course many examples of Guts being watched over by elves, from Chich, to the elf dust Judo procured, to Puck. These could all be coincidences, but it may also have been the Sovereign's influence. While that may sound farfetched right now, it's clear that Miura is setting the Sovereign up to represent a great, transcendental power. A great display of that power would be to connect some of those dots for us.

Great points :).

Walter said:
I don't think that the restoration process is going to be done at this very moment. As you said, it's pretty crowded in that room, and I expect the restoration will be an intimate affair. As for Guts' party, I don't think they'll need to be treated to a magic light show to learn what happened between Guts, Casca and Griffith. I think they'll simply be told. Or maybe there's some other method that will be employed (magic light show).

Magic light show :). Yes, it probably can be looked as something like that :p. The problem with being told for is, that it is not very good way of teling a story. I believe that if Gut's/Miura had the desire to do so, they would've done until now (it's not like there were no chances, it's just too personal for Guts and he likes to keep things like that for himself most of the time). Getting Gutt's company the chance to experience partly what happened to him and his girl (considering the eclipse will probably be shown to us as well again, while Casca is being restored), is a good way to do 2 things at the same time that feels suitable. But then again, it will be weird as well, due to the fact most of these people to sane Casca are unknown (probably, because we don't know what is going through her mind) and they might be an obstacle or intrusive to the process. I do think though, even if they are present it still can pack a good punch and be intimate and personal.

Walter said:
That is a deliciously creepy image, even if I still I have a hard time believing it will come to pass. I do like your idea though -- that the darkness within Casca is what would allow one of the God Hand to (partially) manifest, even in the presence of the otherwise inhospitable environment of Elfhelm.

Thank you for putting the explanation that I had on my mind in a much more clear and (hopefuly) understandable way :) (not only the darkness, all the negative emotions she has and ran away from).

Here's anoter thing that came to mind yesterday after I posted, something very obvious that I neglected. I - as many other members here probably - did read the suggestions to determining Casca's resolve to joining Guts (after she is cured) on his quest to be their child. But for some weird reason didn't think that actually the Moonlight Boy might turn to be the factor that brings Casca back to her sanity (and kick some God Hand ass :p). It will be a very heartwarming image - all three of them embrace each other when Casca accepts the reality/reasoning of what happened. I think the chance of this occuring is very big (not gonna give numbers :p), he was always protecting and helping her mother and father and it will be a very fitting conclusion for Casca's current and at the same time further development.

A little late in posting my thoughts on the most recent episode. Can't really say much else than what's already been stated regarding the episode. Visually spectacular while also integrating humor in well. The revelation was also great and like others have said made a introductory scene that's been expected and waited for so long still surprising and unexpected.

Thread hasn't been posted in in almost a year but I just noticed this detail.

The elves that arrest Puck and Magnifico are wearing helmets and chest pieces made from beetle carapace, similar to the cover page Miura did for episode 108.

1JwWrJe.jpg

11283197_1473621052929373_1857765767_n.jpg

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yep, either that initial image was based on canon Elf Knight lore or it's the life in the art imitating the art in the art. My favorite possibility though is Miura just had the same idea twice independently when it came to designing the armor of the Elvin guards. More likely he just couldn't get it out of his head because it's pretty neat, and of course he uses similarly styled "armor" in Gigantomakhia.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yep, either that initial image was based on canon Elf Knight lore or it's the life in the art imitating the art in the art. My favorite possibility though is Miura just had the same idea twice independently when it came to designing the armor of the Elvin guards. More likely he just couldn't get it out of his head because it's pretty neat, and of course he uses similarly styled "armor" in Gigantomakhia.

My first thought (which I still hold) is that he decided to style them after the original "Puck Knight" picture, just for the reference.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
My first thought (which I still hold) is that he decided to style them after the original "Puck Knight" picture, just for the reference.

Agreed, it's a pretty iconic shot of Puck from its time, so it's a nice and natural callback to make.

Top Bottom