Episode 346

I am so pleased with this episode! :ubik: I am also amazed how Miura is just hitting the ground running with the pace of these episodes. He pretty much wasted no time hitting all the points and then moving along in a quick yet very satisfying way. And I am just tickled by Puck's antics with Magnifico. God I loved the way he trolled him (and everyone else) with that King business. Poor Magnifico, he's such a butt monkey!

I am most surprised by Dannan and her reveal to be the Sovereign of the Flower Storm. After expecting a king for so long this was quite a pleasant shock. I really love how in the background she was really when we first met her and then bam! She turns out to be the one Guts has been wanting to see all along. And in that vein, it's a good thing Ged and Puck in a round about way cautioned Guts to chill and take things slow and not acting gruff about being detained. We all know how Guts does not always adhere to decorum and I imagine Guts might have been more vocal maybe even rough about being kept waiting if no one had gently cautioned him to just relax and enjoy a meal first. Jeez, nothing is worse than being observed and even judged when you don't know it and you are feeling stressed, so there not showing your best self. Too think how things might have played out other wise.

I also wonder if the Elf Sovereign put the gurus up to asking Guts questions about Griffith. This makes me think she is quite concerned as well.

Elfhelm reminds me of creatures governed by Oberon and his wife Titanya.
 
Aazealh said:
The character and name of Puck dates back to way before that play. He's a character from folklore, which is where Miura gets most of his inspiration from.
I meant the character in the comedy not the creature itself :) (maybe I wrote it wrong). I only looked the generalized description - mischievous, servent of the king, etc - but I don't know the story (as I said). It's not all that important just curiosity.
 
Vixen Comics said:
And I am just tickled by Puck's antics with Magnifico. God I loved the way he trolled him (and everyone else) with that King business. Poor Magnifico, he's such a butt monkey!
It does make me wonder what the purpose of this little sub plot was. I can't tell if the whole thing was just a long running joke that will have little consequence, or if this was just Miuras way to get rid of a character he didn't know what to do with (Magnifico). Hopefully there's more in store for him, but he's seemed like a very odd addition to the party for some time. Farnese's relation to him almost guarantees that he wont be left rotting in an elf dungeon though.

A second thing that springs to mind: Why introduce a new element so late in the game. No one was really asking how elves fly. I feel like this will be coming into play in the near future in a bigger way than to explain how elves float, perhaps as something magic users can manipulate in the near future (beyond brooms). Or maybe Miura is just having fun world building.
 
ApostleBob said:
It does make me wonder what the purpose of this little sub plot was. I can't tell if the whole thing was just a long running joke that will have little consequence, or if this was just Miuras way to get rid of a character he didn't know what to do with (Magnifico). Hopefully there's more in store for him, but he's seemed like a very odd addition to the party for some time. Farnese's relation to him almost guarantees that he wont be left rotting in an elf dungeon though.
I think you might be taking the situation a little too seriously. I don't think Magnifico is going anywhere, especially not to an "elf dungeon".
 

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
It does make me wonder what the purpose of this little sub plot was
I wonder what the purpose of Magnifico is in general aside being comedy relief ( and a poor one on top of that )
 
Gorgeous episode. Miura definitely had a lot of fun drawing all these European fae creatures and implementing them into his own mythology. It must have been a real interesting change of pace to fill his pages up with more fanciful-looking beings, rather than the usual nightmarish monsters he typically draws. There've always been hints that there was something whimsical buried deep within the otherwise oppressive setting, and to see them come out in full force after so long is amazing. I always felt a bit sad that I didn't start following Berserk on an episodic basis back when the Millennium Falcon arc was in its early stages, just so I could gradually take in the way the Berserk world was beginning to both change and open up, but I'm glad I get to follow along with this. No matter how deep you go, there's always more to delve into.

ApostleBob said:
It does make me wonder what the purpose of this little sub plot was. I can't tell if the whole thing was just a long running joke that will have little consequence, or if this was just Miuras way to get rid of a character he didn't know what to do with (Magnifico). Hopefully there's more in store for him, but he's seemed like a very odd addition to the party for some time. Farnese's relation to him almost guarantees that he wont be left rotting in an elf dungeon though.
I don't think Magnifico's going to suffer any serious consequences. It's just another embarrassment on the pile. There's likely more in store for him, once he gets back into his element (or the closest thing to it, considering what a fop he is), which a seabound ship or an island full of supernatural beings are most definitely not.
 
Feeblecursedone said:
I wonder what the purpose of Magnifico is in general aside being comedy relief ( and a poor one on top of that )
Don't get me wrong, I'm not shit talking the manga or doubting Miura. He's always pulled seemingly unconnected elements together in satisfying ways. But we do know he allows himself the flexibility in his story to change elements and have the plot evolve over time. For example during the Black Swordsman, I believe he's stated that he didn't know how all of the Golden Age was going to play out and even what characters would be in it, and look how that turned out :ubik:

We just haven't really seen much of a role for Magnifico, other than a rich civilian, who's allowed to be the eyes of the average man for us. I'm just wondering if the goofy little plot for taking the Elf Kingdom's throne was a way for Miura to sideline him for a while.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
It does make me wonder what the purpose of this little sub plot was.
WHAT IF.... the purpose was for it to be funny?

ApostleBob said:
I can't tell if the whole thing was just a long running joke that will have little consequence, or if this was just Miuras way to get rid of a character he didn't know what to do with (Magnifico). Hopefully there's more in store for him, but he's seemed like a very odd addition to the party for some time. Farnese's relation to him almost guarantees that he wont be left rotting in an elf dungeon though.
I think there is absolutely no chance at all that anything will happen to Magnifico or Puck.

ApostleBob said:
A second thing that springs to mind: Why introduce a new element so late in the game. No one was really asking how elves fly.
No offense but I think you're out of your depth here. Elves like Puck (Piskies) use their wings to fly, and they're associated with sylphs (the element of air). The new element will indeed have a role to play, and no doubt an important one, but we have to wait to learn more about it. To tell you the truth, I already have some ideas, but I want to think about them a bit more before posting.

ApostleBob said:
We just haven't really seen much of a role for Magnifico, other than a rich civilian, who's allowed to be the eyes of the average man for us. I'm just wondering if the goofy little plot for taking the Elf Kingdom's throne was a way for Miura to sideline him for a while.
I don't think so. No matter where in the world you are, there's always a place for a merchant. Magnifico will eventually have a role to play, even if it's a minor one (but then, he's a minor character).
 

DANGERDOOOOM

"He was a strange man. Somehow inhuman..."
I love how Guts is very unimpressed with the other Piskies. Once you've met one you've met them all :ganishka:

Miura never fails to deliver nothing but amazing quality and story. I had my doubts about Danan, but I guess my own theories are blown out of the water. She is stunning looking. Great character design.

Wonder if all Guts' crew will get their own personal unicorn to ride into battle with :guts: Guts charging into Falconia on a unicorn. Can't be any more threatening than that.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
Amazing episode! I'm actually so happy that after years and years of buildup Miura still managed to throw us a curve ball by introducing the Queen! And in the way he did, creatively subverting our expectations of finding an old elf king sitting on his throne waiting for Guts. I don't want to get too hung up on the new element since we don't really know anything, but I wonder just what kind of importance it will eventually be shown to have. I was already toying with the idea that Miura would introduce something new and truly mystical, a sort of force-like mystery power that would explain everything in the magical world (Jedi Guts fantasy). Of course I don't seriously expect that to happen, but I do think that we are going to have some major world building bombshells dropped on us in the near future that may change the way we view certain aspects of the story. New elements and the like, Miura could really go all out with this :guts:
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Walter said:
Furthermore, Rochine's design is similar. She wanted to be the Queen of the Elves even though she'd never seen such a being, but her design isn't far from the real thing.
Grail said:
I was thinking about that, too. It's kind of bittersweet to see everything in Elfhelm and remember Rochine's attempt at creating her own "kingdom." Not that it wasn't already twisted at the time, but now it's just EXTRA sad. :sad:
Damn, that's a great catch that should have been obvious to me, like the Sovereign's design didn't even particularly stand out because I've seen it before (particularly the ears); and a thought that's impossible to think would be lost on Miura. Danan has way better hair though. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:
Agreed, I had the same thought. And like Griff and I discussed earlier with Griffith, Ubik's version feels like a perversion of the "original" that is shown here.
In that same school of thought, it would also help explain why Schierke would confuse the Moonlight Boy with an emissary of the Sovereign of the Flower Storm if Griffith's power/od is indeed something of an impersonation. Speaking of which, as mentioned earlier...

Feeblecursedone said:
http://i63.tinypic.com/qz54hw.jpg
Compare to the attached below:
 

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
My bookstore should have it in later -- happy to answer any questions at that time =)
 
Maybe this fifth element has something to do with how Femto's powers work. :femto:

I'm a bit confused. Last episode Puck said that the elf king is not an easy person to deal with, right? Was that just a goof from the korean scans, then? Because it's only mentioned in the summary and Danann seems pretty nice.
 

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Lots of people bringing up the Misty Valley connections. I think its fitting that the last revenge driven journey Guts embarked on would echo the paradise he reaches at the end of his much nobler quest.

Also, hats off to the leaker for not being sneaky with the cropping and only show chestnut puck, his entourage and his king disguise. If I was in their position I dont think i would have been able to resist . :ganishka:
 
A Midsummer Night's Dream is not a bad comparison, we got our Titania and Puck already here after all.

Speaking of which, I love that elf queen design, its so unorthodox yet elegant in its own way.
 
Khalamir said:
Maybe this fifth element has something to do with how Femto's powers work. :femto:

I'm a bit confused. Last episode Puck said that the elf king is not an easy person to deal with, right? Was that just a goof from the korean scans, then? Because it's only mentioned in the summary and Danann seems pretty nice.
that was probably just the inaccurate korean translations, this is what puck actually says

Puck: Don't be impatient, it's Ok. Because the King of Elves is...
 
Khalamir said:
Maybe this fifth element has something to do with how Femto's powers work. :femto:

I'm a bit confused. Last episode Puck said that the elf king is not an easy person to deal with, right? Was that just a goof from the korean scans, then? Because it's only mentioned in the summary and Danann seems pretty nice.
My guess is that this new element has been imbued into Gut's DS, which might explain why he is able to swing his weapon with such ease.... or maybe Gut's is just strong. :guts:
 
zrexe said:
My guess is that this new element has been imbued into Guts DS, which might explain why he is able to swing his weapon with such ease.... or maybe Guts is just strong. :guts:
I think that would actually make it heavier...
 
Gobolatula said:

Got bored.
That's awesome! :ganishka:

I can't wait for Puella's translation of the explanation of this new element. I really like how Miura has taken the systems of magic found in fantasy and mysticism and tied them directly to real world physics, seamlessly creating a system of that makes the older, more used elements feel fresh and new while giving it a new layer of depth not found in other works. (For example, how Miura connects the classical elements to the real world's four states of matter as opposed to having the elements come from another plane or having the world of Berserk be made from elementals.)

Anyways, Danan's form is such a beautiful design. I hope we get a poster of her someday.
 
Aazealh said:
No offense but I think you're out of your depth here. Elves like Puck (Piskies) use their wings to fly, and they're associated with sylphs (the element of air). The new element will indeed have a role to play, and no doubt an important one, but we have to wait to learn more about it. To tell you the truth, I already have some ideas, but I want to think about them a bit more before posting.
No offense taken. I guess my point was that we already know enough about how Piskies fly so the new explanation of how Fae do things seems redundant or is answering a question know one is asking. Which to me says it will be important down the road, or else why introduce it in so specific a way. Perhaps they'll use it to get over Falconia's walls in several volumes. Maybe a weigh down flying enemies. Who knows? but I'm sure it's more than window dressing.

Aazealh said:
I don't think so. No matter where in the world you are, there's always a place for a merchant. Magnifico will eventually have a role to play, even if it's a minor one (but then, he's a minor character).
I hope you're right. An oddball character like him could create an interesting curveball down the line. He's not exactly the traditional hero or companion.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
DANGERDOOOOM said:
Wonder if all Guts' crew will get their own personal unicorn to ride into battle with :guts: Guts charging into Falconia on a unicorn. Can't be any more threatening than that.
Yeeeeah... no.

Oburi said:
I don't want to get too hung up on the new element since we don't really know anything, but I wonder just what kind of importance it will eventually be shown to have. I was already toying with the idea that Miura would introduce something new and truly mystical, a sort of force-like mystery power that would explain everything in the magical world (Jedi Guts fantasy).
I don't want to be the guy who just rains on everyone's parade (I know, I know... I am that guy), but we don't need a "force-like mystery power". We don't need one because we already have plenty of forces explaining how magic works. There are the four basic elements of course, then there's the Od (which is what George Lucas originally based the concept of the Force on), and finally all the explanations Miura has sprinkled in the story explaining how the different realms interact with each other.

To reiterate what I've said before: this new element is more akin to an astrophysics discovery. Think of it like Newton discovering gravity, or Einstein coming up with the concept of spacetime. To go farther than that, what I immediately thought of when I learned of it was neutrinos, and I'll bet you anything that Miura got the inspiration for it from the confirmation by CERN of the existence of Higgs' Boson. Beyond that, I think the concept as described by Ged (provided the Korean translation isn't too off) even matches the double meaning of "gravity" in English, what with it bringing "stuffiness and fixation on the mind".

Griffith said:
In that same school of thought, it would also help explain why Schierke would confuse the Moonlight Boy with an emissary of the Sovereign of the Flower Storm if Griffith's power/od is indeed something of an impersonation.
That is an interesting thought, but I think it's slightly different. Basically I don't think Griffith's Od could possibly be close to that of an elf (due to its inherent nature, and the fact it makes the Brand bleed, etc.). So to me the fact the boy's own Od differs and is gentle must have another explanation... Like maybe it's his own power and not Griffith's (Femto's), or something like that.

But while we're on the topic, I do think the new element we just learned of plays a key role in Griffith's otherworldly charisma.

Khalamir said:
I'm a bit confused. Last episode Puck said that the elf king is not an easy person to deal with, right? Was that just a goof from the korean scans, then? Because it's only mentioned in the summary and Danann seems pretty nice.
Yes, it was an inaccuracy resulting from translating a translation. That's why those summaries should always be taken with a grain of salt, as I warn the reader each time I post one. The only solid reference is the real episode translation, which you can find in the corresponding section of the forum.

Earthlingzing said:
A Midsummer Night's Dream is not a bad comparison, we got our Titania and Puck already here after all.
To reiterate what I've said before, both the concept of an Elf Queen and that of the mischievous Puck originate from folklore and long predate that play. So while there are similarities due to the fact they're based on the same material, people shouldn't give it more significance than it has.

zrexe said:
My guess is that this new element has been imbued into Guts DS, which might explain why he is able to swing his weapon with such ease.... or maybe Guts is just strong. :guts:
This is not the case. Guts is just very strong. Remember that he could swing the Dragon Slayer long before it was imbued with "evil power".

ApostleBob said:
No offense taken. I guess my point was that we already know enough about how Piskies fly so the new explanation of how Fae do things seems redundant or is answering a question know one is asking. Which to me says it will be important down the road, or else why introduce it in so specific a way. Perhaps they'll use it to get over Falconia's walls in several volumes. Maybe a weigh down flying enemies. Who knows? but I'm sure it's more than window dressing.
It's an absolute certainty that this new element will be of key importance in the story. But you're mistaken about what Ged explains. He's not saying it helps elves do things, but that elves don't really go along with it, and so it's sparser in Elfhelm. That's just an aside to him explaining how gravity works in the world of Berserk, and what other properties this element has.
 
Hello everyone, I'm new here :) Let me know if I have to change a few things whenever I post something.

First of all, thank you for the summary and I have to admit this episode was a nice surprise in regards to the pacing, as well as the impressive art! I wasn't expecting them to meet Hanafubuku that fast either, although on the subject of Danann, I'm wondering if the fact she had the notion of time when the archmages or the students apparently didn't was yet another hint to her identity (namely dinner, the fact she seemed to realize Puck had been gone for a long time and, besides Gedfryn, it seems she was the only one and Gedfryn did say the sovereign had had an oracle about Puck).

Feeblecursedone said:
I wonder what the purpose of Magnifico is in general aside being comedy relief ( and a poor one on top of that )
I agree that he is probably there mostly for comic relief but considering he's also the son of Federico do Vandimion who is one of the most influential men of the series... maybe he could have a different role in the future, if just to testify of what he saw as a way to corroborate what Farnese could say, in case they need their father's help. It's very far in the future though, and I really doubt he will have any other role while they're on Elfhelm.

Aazealh said:
That is an interesting thought, but I think it's slightly different. Basically I don't think Griffith's Od could possibly be close to that of an elf (due to its inherent nature, and the fact it makes the Brand bleed, etc.). So to me the fact the boy's own Od differs and is gentle must have another explanation... Like maybe it's his own power and not Griffith's (Femto's), or something like that.

But while we're on the topic, I do think the new element we just learned of plays a key role in Griffith's otherworldly charisma.
Sorry I know this isn't the topic, but isn't it possible that Griffith's Od is just inherently evil anyway because of the fact he is Femto? Since the boy isn't producing any kind of reaction from the brand when he's close by while Griffith did, I would have thought their powers and Ods don't really have to do with each other (although since he is so powerful, maybe he did borrow some of Griffith's power, if we're assuming he is the demon infant that is).
 
Top Bottom