Episode 347

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Is this something that will be added to the pile for the patreon project? A recent and extensive interview would be fantastic.

12 pages? Maybe if more people pledge... I mean this stuff isn't trivial.

Mangetsu said:
Im pretty sure that this is a horse.

:rickert:

Aazealh said:
I don't know about all that. Feels like a stretch to me. The portions that are most damaged are the head, chest and arm. I also don't think it's meant to imply something regarding Guts.

True. It wouldn't make that much sense either, since it's explicitly about her body & state of mind rather than additionally symbolizing anything for Guts, which we already seem to get through the dog.

BiQ_

" ... "
My reaction to this episode was:

Wow. Just... wow.

Even more so than usually. IT'S HAPPENING! IT REALLY REALLY IS HAPPENING! AAAAAGH!

Also, that last page might or might not be my phone lockscreen background at least until the next ep comes out. And order for that guidebook has now been placed. Whew. I haven't been *this* hyped for Berserk for a long time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:

Admittedly, it looked a lot like a horse in that first panel. Its one of the many downfalls of trying to derive meaning from these sketchy panels. The inclusion of 犬 in the text is the only thing that makes it clear.

What's most interesting to me about this scene is that if the wounded dog represents Guts -- dragging the broken doll of Casca behind him, it implies that a portion of Casca is aware of what's been happening since the Eclipse. She's not completely in the dark. Of course, this could be how her subconscious mind has processed the events, and not how the "true" Casca, once she has been restored, will remember things. So many possibilities.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
BiQ-- said:
Even more so than usually. IT'S HAPPENING! IT REALLY REALLY IS HAPPENING! AAAAAGH!
7drHiqr_zpspc007i6c.gif

I realized that I didn't get around to commenting about the episode in this thread, so that gif will remain my main statement. :ganishka:

Walter said:
What's most interesting to me about this scene is that if the wounded dog represents Guts -- dragging the broken doll of Casca behind him, it implies that a portion of Casca is aware of what's been happening since the Eclipse. She's not completely in the dark. Of course, this could be how her subconscious mind has processed the events, and not how the "true" Casca, once she has been restored, will remember things. So many possibilities.

That's really what keeps sticking in my mind in terms of the "what-ifs" of Casca's return. How much will she remember? Gobs and I were throwing ideas around, and I think we agree that the story could be a lot more interesting if she remembers more. That way, she'd be able to hit the ground running in terms of further exploring relationships with Farnese, Schierke and the others. Her waking up and going "who are you all? :???: " would just be too depressing for me!

BiQ-- said:
Also, that last page might or might not be my phone lockscreen background at least until the next ep comes out. And order for that guidebook has now been placed. Whew. I haven't been *this* hyped for Berserk for a long time.

Adding to all the excitement is the fact that we're exempt from watching that dang anime for another few months. I really needed the break. :sad:

Aazealh said:
12 pages? Maybe if more people pledge... I mean this stuff isn't trivial.

No one's asking for it right away. But I'd personally rather see stuff like this translated than Miura's random episode comments from the 90s. I feel like there would be more value added to the community from a recent in depth interview during one of the most pivotal moments in the series.

I do understand that it's a completely different amount to translate, but I'm sure it can be broken into chunks. Perhaps other Japanese speaking users like id0tf0wl can assist to lighten the burden for Puella.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
That's really what keeps sticking in my mind in terms of the "what-ifs" of Casca's return. How much will she remember? Gobs and I were throwing ideas around, and I think we agree that the story could be a lot more interesting if she remembers more. That way, she'd be able to hit the ground running in terms of further exploring relationships with Farnese, Schierke and the others. Her waking up and going "who are you all? :???: " would just be too depressing for me!

I don't know about that. Like I've argued in the past, her starting fresh would offer a lot of possibilities. It would completely disrupt the group dynamics and allow for refresh relationships to be created. I think it'd be very exciting personally, and not depressing at all. That's not to say her remembering things wouldn't be interesting as well though ("thanks for wiping my ass all these years, I really appreciate it"). Either way, I'm sure Miura has got some great things in store for us! :guts:

ApostleBob said:
No one's asking for it right away. But I'd personally rather see stuff like this translated than Miura's random episode comments from the 90s. I feel like there would be more value added to the community from a recent in depth interview during one of the most pivotal moments in the series.

Right away or not isn't the point. 12 pages simply is a lot of content, like I said. And the Patreon is first and foremost about translating the episodes. Doing Miura's old comments is only a bonus, and if you must know, the monthly pledge is $30 short of meeting it at the moment, and has been for months. So puella's doing it even though she technically shouldn't. Finally, other donators actually care a lot about those comments. In any case, we'll probably work on translating this interview eventually, when puella has the time for it. But don't go thinking it's anything but a huge, underappreciated effort for the sake of the community.

ApostleBob said:
I do understand that it's a completely different amount to translate, but I'm sure it can be broken into chunks.

One sentence chunks, one per week? It's just a bad comparison no matter how you look at it.

Aazealh said:
In any case, we'll probably work on translating this interview eventually, when puella has the time for it. But don't go thinking it's anything but a huge, underappreciated effort for the sake of the community.

Personally, I would be perfectly happy with just a broad summary of the main points or anything that might be interesting in there and that would be enough.

Aazealh said:
In any case, we'll probably work on translating this interview eventually, when puella has the time for it. But don't go thinking it's anything but a huge, underappreciated effort for the sake of the community.

It's always appreciated. Fans can get reliable content here that they can't anywhere else. I donate to support the continuation of that, and out of respect to previous efforts that were done just out of pure fan dedication.

Rupert Sinclair said:
Personally, I would be perfectly happy with just a broad summary of the main points or anything that might be interesting in there and that would be enough.

I too would also be satisfied with a summary of the content of this, outlining anything that we don't already know about Miura's process, and thoughts about the series and character's progression. It's always a fascinating insight, and often clears up misconceptions.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
These images are from the Berserk Guidebook that was recently released.

Sorry about the phone quality images. They show what appears to be a very dark vision. Inside a coffin bearing The Band of the Hawk symbol that is being dragged by a frail/dead horse we see broken doll with a brand on its chest. These images also show a child with long hair - maybe the moonlight child or an infant Casca. At the end there appears to be an image of Guys staring off into the distance.

1. http://imgur.com/rNI3SRT
2. http://imgur.com/dm0FqWx
3. http://imgur.com/isVWKW6
4. http://imgur.com/mUwT6P8
5. http://imgur.com/JrUs6OF
6. http://imgur.com/SsOWRaa

Photos were taken on a train, sorry for the blur. Happy to provide alternatives when I have time if they're requested.

Aazealh said:
Thanks Uriel, but you really should read previous contributions before posting. These have all been posted (several times) and discussed extensively. :slan:

As a reminder to all members, Young Animal #19 is now available for purchase on hakusensha-e.net. No Guidebook though.

I think there is one new image in here that shows the group back at the wizard village drinking tea. Probably not a bad call as the mods said, because it allows them to skip around in the dream, and allows Guts to fill in the rest of the group potentially about the band of the Hawk and the Eclipse. Frankly I find it impressive that Miura has made it feel natural up to this point that his companions haven't pressed him on Casca and her condition and why dark forces are attracted to him. I would think someone as crass as Isidro and as cautious as Serpico would bring it up since they're on a quest for it and all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
I think there is one new image in here that shows the group back at the wizard village drinking tea.

Yeah they're eating and drinking with the help of Magnifico and a few brownies. And while we could see it in the previous images, we can see it a little more clearly with Uriel's pics. Poor Magnifico can't bear the thought of serving people :magni: And Guts is apart from the group, looking reflective. I expect it'll be like Aaz said, him reflecting about his past with Casca -- how her being back might change things.

Walter said:
Yeah they're eating and drinking with the help of Magnifico and a few brownies. And while we could see it in the previous images, we can see it a little more clearly with Uriel's pics. Poor Magnifico can't bear the thought of serving people :magni: And Guts is apart from the group, looking reflective. I expect it'll be like Aaz said, him reflecting about his past with Casca -- how her being back might change things.

I love the idea of her taking the leadership role. We know she's not going to up stage Guts in combat, but she has a level head, strong sense of discipline, tutored under Griffith as far as strategy goes, and was one heck of a fighter. Of course it will be a little bit before it could even be possible to jump into that role. There must be some sense of recovery after being mentally absent for so long.

bhaal

Always lurking in the shadows
Just a little comment:
We have 1 instance where Casca, after the eclipse, revert to sane for a moment, and tell Gutts she was having a very bad dream, (you can discus that was canon or not, but at least the scene was write by Miura himself) and now we have this and the preview for 348.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
bhaal said:
Just a little comment:
We have 1 instance where Casca, after the eclipse, revert to sane for a moment, and tell Guts she was having a very bad dream, (you can discus that was canon or not, but at least the scene was write by Miura himself) and now we have this and the preview for 348.

Casca talked to Guts after the Eclipse? When was this?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bhaal said:
Just a little comment:
We have 1 instance where Casca, after the eclipse, revert to sane for a moment, and tell Guts she was having a very bad dream, (you can discus that was canon or not, but at least the scene was write by Miura himself) and now we have this and the preview for 348.

Indeed, Miura managed to make this consistent even though 17 years elapsed between the two instances. But we all already knew that he's the greatest storyteller to ever live, so this changes nothing. :serpico:

You know normally I would be a bit sad that we are going on Hiatus but for some reason I am slightly relieved we are. I don't know if Miura has control of when the episodes are put out but i feel that this break came in just the right time (for me personally) and was well timed. I don't know how to explain this but you know when you have been anticipating something for a long time and you have this buildup of excitement/tension/expectation inside you that you think you might burst if you don't take a breather for a moment to fully appreciate it? 'That's how I feel right now. I think I was getting close to sensory over load by finally arriving at an event that has been in the works for what seems like forever.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Vixen, I think you hit the nail on the head! I feel pretty much the same way about it. Given that this may be the most important event to occur in the series since the majority of us began reading, the gravity should have some time to sink in. I definitely needed the break!

Top Bottom