Episode 347

It's all pointing to the events of the Eclipse. I can't see the Beast having anything to do with it except that "Danan" said,"she has fear for you"(paraphrase). While 2017 comes around ima sit in a nice comfy tree on elfhelm. Reread Berserk from 1-347 so I can refresh my brain on what has come and hope to see what will come in 348.

Fantastic episode! I can't wait to see how this continues.

And that illustration, beautiful. I'm going to purchase the guidebook as soon as I get my paycheck, I can't pass it up.

Mammon

Mangoku army
Thank you Kaladin, this cover is simply amazing... can't wait for my own copy, I'm soon going to need a second shelf just dedicated to my Berserk-related stuff.. :ubik:

ApostleBob said:
An interesting thought on how dreams are actually a part of the astral world: If they visit the eclipse and the God Hand in Casca’s dreams, can the God Hand there sense them and interact since it’s more than just a memory? Perhaps a nightmarish gateway to Elfhelm. That could be terrifying.

Game of Thrones season 6 spoilers:

By any chance, do you watch GoT?
Some friends and I were actually discussing that at work; "What if something similar to what the Night King did to Bran Stark happens?" (the "mark" on his forearm)
But Casca is already "marked" anyway, so...

(end of spoilers)

and I don't thing a serious God Hand menace is likely.
It already happened at Flora's house, and I think that Casca's restoration will already be a handful, no need for the " :void: Tokusentai" to show up.
But who knows...

Oh wow, so much going on right now my head is spinning.

It may be hard to transfer my thoughts to a post here, so bare with me please.

My heart rate was pounding by the last pages of the episode as we neared Casca's...source. I had to stop and ask myself "What the hell is happening to me?" So much anxiety. I mean maybe its a little bit of shock really, the realization that before long we could very well see where Casca's mind has resided but to potentially also finally cure her. Its kinda overwhelming to see it actually happening after all these long years. I'm kinda freaking out that I'm actually having a such physical reaction to it all, which I can't ever recall happening to me reading manga, let alone books. Curing Casca one of the element of the overall Berserk storyline that I've somewhat thrown into "obscurity" as a milestone of the series that would happen far into the story. I somewhat used it a comfort barrier to help me be patient with the series. Telling myself "Yeah, I'm sure Casca will get cured, but surely that's far into the story and we shouldn't expect that anytime soon. Besides, it just probably isn't as simple as 1,2,3." Really stepping back, it certainly hasn't been 1,2,3. The the sea voyage, and the "prep" work to make this happen, it's again just somewhat of shock to be potentially at the point where getting Casca back is possibly about to happen. I guess I never thought this point would come after pushing it away over and over while also burying my exceptions deep, yet maybe here we finally are. Mind blown.

For once, I don't think I can wait for the next episode, with the focus on literally getting her back, I'm finding it really hard already to wait. Just thinking about it all. God damn, not to mention what heart-felt entangled mess of a mind we have to unravel to make that happen. What will she be like if cured? Where do we go from there? Certainly so many questions. I finding a huge wake up call here tonight, just how much this series and Casca particularly means to me to cause such a swell of anxiety and reactions. Maybe it's the patient years of waiting episode to episode that I've accumulated a emotional scar associated with reaching a certain destination that has ALWAYS felt so far away. (Even Griffith got his kingdom before Casca was cured.) I'm accepting such truth of my emotional attachment as a pleasant comfort, that reflects a greater truth. That this is in fact the greatest story I've ever known and it has a certain great amount of power over me emotionally. Tonight proves that.

Just like that, overnight, after about 3 years of taking it easy on Berserk stuff. It once again becomes my religion.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
For once, I don't think I can wait for the next episode, with the focus on literally getting her back, I'm finding it really hard already to wait. Just thinking about it all. God damn, not to mention what heart-felt entangled mess of a mind we have to unravel to make that happen. What will she be like if cured? Where do we go from there? Certainly so many questions. I finding a huge wake up call here tonight, just how much this series and Casca particularly means to me to cause such a swell of anxiety and reactions.

I sound like a broken record at this point, but we're currently witnessing the biggest even since Berserk began, bar none. Bigger than the Berserk's armor, bigger than Fantasia, and yes, bigger than the Eclipse. The only thing that could possibly surpass the next dozen episodes in terms of magnitude is the ending itself.

Aazealh said:
I sound like a broken record at this point, but we're currently witnessing the biggest even since Berserk began, bar none. Bigger than the Berserk's armor, bigger than Fantasia, and yes, bigger than the Eclipse. The only thing that could possibly surpass the next dozen episodes in terms of magnitude is the ending itself.

The things I'm wondering about the most:

If the setting is indeed the eclipse, would it before what Griffith did to her or after. Either or would determine if she's accepted it or not. Simply how she is choosing to perceive Guts and Griffith deep down, before the horror or after? Her insanity is a mechanism to bury it all and not accept it all. Deep down is what the truth lies, what she really feels and wants. That's my biggest speculation.

Does the bond with her child transcend to her coherent deep consciousness? As she never met him sane. I wonder if it'll be represented.

I should mention she once had a creature attached to her, and like Guts had a nightmare. But other than that does Casca regularly have nightmares in her sleep that we seen in the past? What I'm really asking is have we been led to believe that Casca relives the eclipse in her sleep often? Because I didn't have that impression personally, though I could see it being very possible of course.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
If the setting is indeed the eclipse, would it before what Griffith did to her or after. Either or would determine if she's accepted it or not. Simply how she is choosing to perceive Guts and Griffith deep down, before the horror or after? Her insanity is a mechanism to bury it all and not accept it all. Deep down is what the truth lies, what she really feels and wants. That's my biggest speculation.

One thing everyone should keep in mind is that this isn't a flashback. It's a world Casca has constructed from/around her trauma. It is based on it, but might be represented very differently from what actually happened during the Eclipse. Like Danan warned, its rules may be peculiar, and they are unknown to us at the moment.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the red lake will show up in there. If so, Farnese might be able to recognize it (and Schierke would get the reference as well). Speaking of which, what a journey this has been for Farnese, from volume 14 to volume 39...

Death May Die said:
Does the bond with her child transcend to her coherent deep consciousness? As she never met him sane. I wonder if it'll be represented.

This ties back to the bigger question of whether that place will include memories from after the Eclipse or not. Right now I lean towards the latter case. What I think could happen is that Casca won't immediately recognize Farnese and Schierke when she encounters them in there. But maybe they will "unlock" some of those memories (with Danan's help) in the process of helping her deal with her trauma. That could include good memories (with her son, with Guts, with the group...) and bad ones (all of the traumatic things she endured, included Guts' violence towards her in volume 23).

By the way, just throwing it out here but I'm 100% sure Guts will cry when Casca returns.

Death May Die said:
What I'm really asking is have we been led to believe that Casca relives the eclipse in her sleep often?

No, we haven't. It doesn't really matter though. We know she's had flashes of it in a few occasions when she was being assaulted, and we know it's the root cause of her current condition.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
By the way, just throwing it out here but I'm 100% sure Guts will cry when Casca returns.

If we see Guts cry when she returns, I'm sure to be crying too. I tend to get emotional on huge moments like that. And that will prove even more then now that this story is one of the best stories ever ever made.

Hmm. My hope like everyone's of course is that Casca does find sanity and return ... but didn't the skullknight once warn that what Guts desires may not be what Casca wants? Can't forget that foreshadow...

Anyway, I really hope it's Casca who gets to visit Guts dreams . After all he also knows what it is to be raped, betrayed and cast aside at the hands of the person you admired most. :( I think he is the one who can sympathize, empathize and help her more than anyone :(.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Shouki Slann said:
Hmm. My hope like everyone's of course is that Casca does find sanity and return ... but didn't the skullknight once warn that what Guts desires may not be what Casca wants? Can't forget that foreshadow...

That could be interpreted in a lot of ways. Like she might not want to get revenge on Griffith or something like that. I don't think she'll stay insane forever.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shouki Slann said:

Like jackson_hurley said, the Skull Knight's words can be interpret in many ways. I don't believe the ritual will fail.

Shouki Slann said:
Anyway, I really hope it's Casca who gets to visit Guts dreams . After all he also knows what it is to be raped, betrayed and cast aside at the hands of the person you admired most. :( I think he is the one who can sympathize, empathize and help her more than anyone :(.

You mean you wish it was Guts who had been sent inside her mind. But there is a reason it wasn't him. Just like there was a reason he let people join him on his journey. Have some faith in Miura. I don't think you or anyone else will be disappointed by what's to come. And besides, Guts and Casca will have plenty of time to talk about their respective traumas in the future.

I think SK's line might be interpreted as Casca having as first priority the safety of her son, though of course she will still hate Griffith. Guts instead will still be determined to take his revenge. But since there is a still not clarified connection between the Moonlight boy and Griffith, their respective wishes might enter in conflict.

I can't wait to see Guts and Casca meeting each other again after the ritual, and i've no idea how they might react seeing each other in that exact moment, what they will say, maybe they'll both cry. This is going to be one of the most intense moment in Berserk probably.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sancho said:
I think SK's line might be interpreted as Casca having as first priority the safety of her son, though of course she will still hate Griffith. Guts instead will still be determined to take his revenge. But since there is a still not clarified connection between the Moonlight boy and Griffith, their respective wishes might enter in conflict.

Yes, this is one possibility we highlighted back when episode 238 came out. This doesn't make me feel any younger.

Aazealh said:
Like jackson_hurley said, the Skull Knight's words can be interpret in many ways. I don't believe the ritual will fail.

Hmm. I worded my thoughts not so well. Let's try again. I do believe Casca will regain sanity too, and i agree with the notion that she may not be onboard with Guts plans. In fact, i think she may feel quite frustrated that he can't understand or isn't on board with her thinking (As Sancho was saying - this moment will be intense... but i don't think it will be positive. I think she will feel very much like nobody can understand what she went through...).

Aazealh said:
You mean you wish it was Guts who had been sent inside her mind.

Nope. I want her to return and visit Gut's psyche.
So when Casca returns- if she doubt or questions Guts choices or course of action(as foreshadowed). When/if that happens - understanding Guts mind and past might sway her.
Guts is the person who not only shared the trauma of the eclipse with her but now these two characters share a simialr past.
Gambino saved guts, raised him, taught him to fight - then prostituted him and tried to kill him.
Griffith saved Casca, they grew up together, he taught her to fight - then allowed her to suffer rape before raping her himself.

In the intimate moments shared by Casca and Guts... they both included some elements of guts dark past.
When she was first forced to sleep beside him by griffith's order and he kept murming about not wanting to be touched?
Or when they first had sex, and guts choked her -
I feel these moments are alluding to the notion that something about his past will be revealed to her and he moving forward will definitely be the person who can offer conceal to her?
Hope that makes more sense.

Aazealh said:
But there is a reason it wasn't him. Just like there was a reason he let people join him on his journey. Have some faith in Miura. I don't think you or anyone else will be disappointed by what's to come. And besides, Guts and Casca will have plenty of time to talk about their respective traumas in the future.

Yeah - I totes get it as it was explained. He's too close to the trauma and she fears him as is... And while i do have all the faith in Miura... I do think this is definitely a plot device to allow Farnese and Scheirke to learn not just about Casca but to understand fully Guts past.

I'm loving Danan more and more. Her character design is great and I like her personality a lot. So I guess the housework helper thing wasn't just a ruse for her to observe Guts and co., which was what I thought at first. From what she tells Puck she regularly goes to the witch village and helps out with cooking and cleaning as well as cleaning up around her own palace. I don't think the witch outfit she was wearing was just a disguise she used for that particular occasion either. I think she probably wears that whenever she's in the witch village in order to blend in better and be more nondiscript. Kuka or the other kids didn't seem surprised to see her there like that.

I'm impressed with how Danan is being portrayed as a leader. She seems to be a caring steward of her own domain as well as working to foster good relations with the witches. She seems secure in her power, with no need to be pretentious. I like how she just wants them to call her Danan and not her formal title. I also like how she is considerate of Guts' anxiousness and doesn't make him wait to get the help he's been seeking for so long. I felt really bad for Guts when Danan said he couldn't go with them for the ritual, but I loved how Schierke stepped up and reassured him that it would be ok.

Another thing I liked about Danan was how she talks with Puck and Magnifico, pointing out the problems with their plans, which I thought was pretty funny. Instead of just punishing them she also reasons with them. It's like how a good leader should act. Even though Magnifico's intentions were evil they never posed a real threat to Danan or Elfhelm and he gets treated like a naughty kid right along with Puck. I think a little manual labor might be just the thing for him! :magni:

I like the little mushroom dudes and I thought it was funny when Casca picked one up and it seemed freaked out.

This episode was really great! :ubik: Quite a cliff-hanger with what is going to happen in Casca's mind. Pretty epic for sure! I'm very much looking forward to seeing what's to come.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just released after two weeks in rehab and it looks like I missed a shit ton of updates. Man do i have a lot to catch up on. This all looks awesome though! DOn't have a lot time to read now sadly so if any of my fellow Berserk brothers feel like giving a rundown of these latest events (missed the episode too :judo:) I'll pay you back (in favors(sexual))

Oburi said:
Just released after two weeks in rehab and it looks like I missed a shit ton of updates. Man do i have a lot to catch up on. This all looks awesome though! DOn't have a lot time to read now sadly so if any of my fellow Berserk brothers feel like giving a rundown of these latest events (missed the episode too :judo:) I'll pay you back (in favors(sexual))
Last Episode

- The crew finally reached Elfhelm!! we get to see elfhelm in all its glory, we see many new types of elves and other creatures living in elfhelm.
- a new weight element is introduced to us (barytes)
- we meet puck's brothers (Pick, Peck, Pook, Pock)
- the evles get excited and start playing with the crew
- puck's brothers interact with guts
- puck and magnifico's plot to overthrow the state continues and gets concluded! very funny stuff
- we learn that Danan is the Sovereign of the Flower storm, she transforms into this beautiful form fitting for a Sovereign and welcomes the crew to Elfhelm

This Episode

- everyone is in awe when they see the Sovereign of the Flower storm, Schierke senses how strong she is
- the puck and magnifico plot continues!!! again really really funny
- the Sovereign tells guts that she has heard of his tale and why he is here, he asks her if she can heal casca and she says its possible
- She asks Schierke and Farnese to help her heal casca, guts wants to join but she tells him that she senses casca's fear of him, Schierke asks him to trust his companions and he agrees.
- Schierke and Farnese enter the Corridor of Dreams, being guided by the Sovereign. from there we see a dream sequence for Schierke and Farnese then they enter Casca's mind.
- We see Casca's mind on the suface level, we see guts and the crew drawn in a child like art, and then there is the last page :carcus:

this is a basic run down, there is a good amount of dialog detailing the weight element and the corridor of dreams that you'll find very interesting

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shouki Slann said:
Hmm. I worded my thoughts not so well.

Indeed.

JMP said:
So I guess the housework helper thing wasn't just a ruse for her to observe Guts and co., which was what I thought at first.

Yes, and this makes more sense than the idea that she had been specifically hiding to learn about the humans. She likely just saw it as an opportunity to get to know them as they really are.

JMP said:
I don't think the witch outfit she was wearing was just a disguise she used for that particular occasion either.

I agree.

JMP said:
I'm impressed with how Danan is being portrayed as a leader.

She's the kind of leader a profoundly good-natured but mischievous people would need. Her role is basically to regularly clean up everyone's mess and try to keep things from exploding while everyone else just screws around. It fit perfectly with how I had envisioned things, and her speech to Puck was a great (and very ingenious) way to convey it to the reader. It also reminds me of my experience as a forum administrator. :iva:

Episode 347 was fantastic, the first parts did a great job further establishing Danann's characterization and duties. While the latter dream parts were both very entertaining while also being very revealing in terms of character. Miura also definitely got down conveying the surreal feeling of dreams with Schierke and Farnese's dreams.

Top Bottom