Episode 349

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The episode is exceptionally short, only 18 pages!

Like I expected, Guts, Serpico and Roderick all share their perspective on their journey. That shot from the fight against the Snake Apostle brought strangely nostalgic feelings. That section ends with Guts remembering the Skull Knight's warning about how "what he(Guts) wants may not be what she(Casca) wants". Meanwhile, Farnese and Schierke really seem to be fighting against the environment to get that first broken fragment of the doll. Strong headwinds, then a massive attack by winged creatures...

Another thing of note is that the dog is the one who puts the broken piece back (fixing the eye socket). Also worth mentioning is that the tiny sprite seems afraid of the dog. A comedic moment but not only, I think. By the way, I was a bit surprised at how small that fragment is. They've got a lot of work ahead of them if they want to gather them all.
Please note this is the last time I use spoilers to comment, after that I consider we're in the clear.

Hm, this is almost like the manga equivalent of a clip show. We're seeing a lot of callbacks in this episode, going all the way back to the very beginning with the cobra Apostle. Very cool.

Watching Guts share a moment with Roderick and Serpico is refreshing. Guy doesn't get to talk with men close to his age much, and he really looked like he needed a hug at the beginning. I'm also glad Serpico got a chance to muse on things as well; he's been out of focus for a long time.

Seeing the dog be the one to place the piece on the Casca doll was quite a surprise. I was honestly expecting Schierke or Farnese to do the deed. Makes me wonder if he's been slowly and bit by bit "reassembling" Casca all this time?

Death May Die said:
From what you guys are discussing here, do you think it would ever come to them deliberately choosing to leave a memory/piece out because it's perhaps too powerful or upon regaining such would cause Casca to again become too unstable and break?

I sure hope not. And to be honest, I don't think it's really in character for either of them. Schierke's too wise to believe that's a good idea, and Farnese knows from experience that running from your fears isn't the answer. Though seeing how things are, it doesn't look like it's going to be up to them anyway.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cyrus Jong said:
Seeing the dog be the one to place the piece on the Casca doll was quite a surprise. I was honestly expecting Schierke or Farnese to do the deed. Makes me wonder if he's been slowly and bit by bit "reassembling" Casca all this time?

I don't think he can do much by himself other than keeping whatever's left of her together (against the attacks). It's Schierke and Farnese (guided by Danan) who are the agents of change here. However I think within that world that dog may well be the embodiment of Casca's will to fight, the small part of her that does want to regain herself. It would be fitting for it to take on the guise of a Guts-like entity. Meanwhile, the rest of the world was constructed and is operated by the part of her that does not want to return.

Great episode, I love all the shots of younger Guts here, he looks great! :guts: Him being solitary on the outskirts of town brings back memories of what we are shown, like the bonfire of dreams. Once again, I find the interpretations of the classic fairy tale creatures Miura has drawn to be very charming, my favorite being Azan dancing with the dwarves. :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a rough summary courtesy of puella:

The old magicians comment "Well well, it ended up like this, as expected. When we have a feast, elves can never stay still." Meanwhile Isidro tells tales of his adventures, getting out from fights with tons of evil spirits, and BAM he destroys his enemies with his salamander dagger. Meanwhile drunk Isma shows her merrow-ness, and a couple of mischievous witches in the back tell her "hey, why don't you take a bath here, we put a lot of herbs in there to wash up your fatigue" and so on. Given that they're talking about a cauldron, it seems they really aim to cook her. The dwarves on the other hand seem happy with Azan, commenting on how they get along well. The brownies on the other hand have only one word to say: work! Dismayed, Magnifico questions why he should serve.. As for Puck, he simply utters that it's unfaaaair.

Guts is sitting alone, far away from the party. Roderick and Serpico arrive, Roderick asking "Can I seat next to you, commander? Let's have a good time between men, watching the cherry blossoms at night." He goes on: "I understand how you feel, but you have no choice but leaving her to them, since we've come this far." Serpico adds "I know you're not good at this kind of thing." Guts replies: "It's true that I wasn't, but I have changed a lot. I've realized many things during this journey. When I was all alone, I didn't care about anything, I fought without aim. I didn't care how badly I was beaten up. But since we were two, I felt my sword was heavier, and that I shouldn't die... I changed my reason/way to fight. I couldn't handle it by myself. So I just gave up all of my ways and, with other people's help, I managed to move forward." He goes on: "So I thank you". Serpico is surprised: "Ohhh, how could I ever expect to hear such polite words from you. Maybe you're starting to be drunk...". Guts replies with a simple "Maybe...".

Serpico takes his turn: "Well... though I talk like that, I myself also changed in many ways through this journey. When she and I were in the HICK, we left everything up to god. In a way, those were peaceful days. All we had to do was meekly obey the Holy See. I can't say that we were happy, but it was a proper place for Lady Farnese at the time. However, when we met you everything was swept away. Farnese lost her faith and became fascinated by you, who had destroyed it. While I, who had served her since childhood, couldn't even approach her... you did everything so easily that I had never thought to do. You blew some life into her. To be honest, I felt a desire to kill you several times, and felt surprised I had such violent feelings within me. But in another way, I was happy and proud of her, who started to work and stand on her two own feet, though it was unstable. And I realized Lady Casca has made Farnese strong. I realized people don't grow up until they get to have someone to protect. Now Farnese is no better than a big sister who takes care of her little sister. Let's trust their connection and wait. I've also changed much, to open my heart like that to my traveling companions. Maybe I'm also drunken."

Roderick is next to speak, telling Serpico: "Ah, you're dangerous, you've got that kind of secret intent to kill!" To Guts he says: "But isn't it good? A big guy like you has lived that kind of adventure, risking your life for a woman to the far end of the sea...". He adds: "I want to die my final days by drowning in the sea, or in liquor or women." Serpico comments matter-of-factly that Roderick's actually drunk. But Guts' thoughts are elsewhere. He thinks back to what the Skull Knight told him, so long ago on that beach: "Above all, what you wish for may not be what she wishes for."

The scene cuts to the dreamscape. Farnese comments "We've walked quite a long ways, where are the petals going towards? They're flying against the wind..." Schierke answers that "Time and distance are vague here. I think we're going to see some sign." They notice a bonfire. Farnese says "Ahh it's warm, let's take a rest for a bit before we get going again." But Schierke isn't fooled, she wonders what's going on. When they see the scene of Guts form, Schierke correctly deduces that it's a fragment of Casca's memory. Farnese puts two and two together: "Then this back, this person is..." They're interrupted by a voice, which in the real world was Casca's voice: "A bonfire... of dreams...". Guts turns back and replies: "Ahh, what a good line. You sound like some kind of princess."

Schierke comments that this is Guts before he met them. Farnese thinks to herself: "The Guts who I don't know." She then comments, surprised: "This feeling transferred to me...". Schierke finishes her thought: "That's what Casca felt at that time". Farnese(?) thinks to herself: "Pitiful and yet warm. A wonderful feeling." The scene vanishes (we hear some more of Casca's talk to Guts from that time) and turns into a broken piece of the doll. Farnese asks what's going on, Schierke gets it. She tells Farnese to open the coffin. Farnese says hi to the little sprite "we meet again", but it cowers before the dog. When he drops the piece onto the doll, it restores it a bit. Farnese comments on it: "The doll was restored...?". Schierke replies "I guess this is the rule of this world. By collecting the fragments of Casca's memory, scattered in this wilderness, we can restore this doll."

The dog barks, and they notice they've got company. Farnese: "They come again, the shadow-like things." Schierke: "This time they're in larger numbers. They probably want to hinder us. Let's fight them." She pulls something out of her bag. Farnese asks what it is. Schierke, somewhat embarrassed, replies "...It seems I brought them from my dream". She goes on: "But this is surely an unexpected chance!" As she activates them, she says: "Hey you! Give us a hand!". And a giant golem and wheel of flames appear. Farnese is amazed, and Schierke tells her it's possible because they're in a dream.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
That shot from the fight against the Snake Apostle brought strangely nostalgic feelings.

That it did, a lot. And to be honest I am glad to we got to see it. Most of the flashback we get is mostly of the golden age. So I was happy to see one from the old black swordsman.

Great episode as always. Very touching.

And to my excitement my issue of Young animal is getting ship today. Let the waiting start. Anybody knows how long it can take from Japan to Canada just out of curiosity?

Edit: Thank you for the summary (I was writing my post at the same time so didn't get the chance to say it.

Thanks for putting this outline up, Aazealh. Guts speaking about his journey and actually voicing how he feels now vs. then was a big moment for me in this episode. Finally resonating what we've watched come together with his character. Both humbling and powerful.

Thank you Aaz and Puella you two are awesome as always =)
Aazealh said:
Here's a rough summary courtesy of puella:

They're interrupted by a voice, which in the real world was Casca's voice: "A bonfire... of dreams...". Guts turns back and replies: "Ahh, what a good line. You sound like some kind of princess."
What a beautiful scene, thinking of the name "bonfire of dreams". Do you think that it's possible mr. Miura chose the name on purpose, seeing as they are in a dream right now?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
What a beautiful scene, thinking of the name "bonfire of dreams". Do you think that it's possible mr. Miura chose the name on purpose, seeing as they are in a dream right now?

The "bonfire of dreams" scene is an iconic part of the Golden Age arc. The name is from that era (it's the title of episode 22), meaning it was created over 20 years ago. Bearing that in mind, I don't think your question makes sense. Maybe you instead meant to ask whether Miura chose to show that specific scene because they're in a dream now? If so, well... I don't think so, no. It's just a powerful and important memory for Casca.

Thanks so much for the summary, puella! :ubik: And thanks for posting it Aazealh! I was really eager to know what was being said. Love the conversation between Guts, Serpico, and Roderick. The memory of the bonfire of dreams is very moving also. :judo: :casca: A heartwarming episode!

Aazealh said:
The "bonfire of dreams" scene is an iconic part of the Golden Age arc. The name is from that era (it's the title of episode 22), meaning it was created over 20 years ago. Bearing that in mind, I don't think your question makes sense.
I was simply thinking, since it fits so good together. Could it be that he had something like this in mind when giving this title. I know why its specifically called a "bonfire of dreams" and i remember the conversation Guts and Casca had, i was simply asking that perhaps he picked the name and planned this scene thinking ahead. We know he has done things like this in the past.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
I was simply thinking, since it fits so good together. Could it be that he had something like this in mind when giving this title. I know why its specifically called a "bonfire of dreams" and i remember the conversation Guts and Casca had, i was simply asking that perhaps he picked the name and planned this scene thinking ahead. We know he has done things like this in the past.

You mean that he had already planned that the scene in episode 349 would happen when he wrote the Bonfire of Dreams scene in 1993? I...don't think so man.

Interesting that Miura reminds us again of Skull Knights warning. I'd guess that the more painful the memory, the more intensely Cascas mind fights against Shierke and Farnese in the form of powerful winds and winged monsters, and the peak holds the final and most painful memory of all. :femto:

I'm also impressed at Miuras ability to plant details that become important later, I wouldn't have guessed that the talismans used in Shierke's toon like dream would be used in Cascas dream.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Damn, Aaz beat me to it but like he said, there's planning ahead and planning ahead. I would not think so either.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That extra long-term planning and Guts' dialogue also explains why Miura showed the Snake Apostle and why Guts behaved as he did then, like he didn't care about Casca or anything; as a matter of fact, he acted as though Casca didn't even exist then! :carcus: :???: :troll:

Anyway, very cool though short episode (we really did see most of it already). I'm especially happy Guts was able to bond with the boys and vice versa, even though Roderick doesn't really have the benefit of history to bring much to the table but some levity and insight (watch out drowning yourself in women around your betrothed's dangerous half-brother there, fella =).

As Aaz pointed out, that wasn't a big chunk of doll restored for such an important, though small, memory. I wonder if we're going to be here for individual memories, analysis, and dream battles (DREEEEEEAM WAAAARRRIORS!)or if we'll get a montage with only the most important highlights getting the in-depth treatment and the Eclipse being the final hurdle (as well as other, more docile, Griffith sightings). I also wonder if we'll jump around and see some childhood memories or events from her private time (e.g. the stress/exhaustion of leading the Falcons), maybe even something we've never seen before!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
As Aaz pointed out, that wasn't a big chunk of doll restored for such an important, though small, memory. I wonder if we're going to be here for individual memories, analysis, and dream battles (DREEEEEEAM WAAAARRRIORS!)or if we'll get a montage with only the most important highlights getting the in-depth treatment and the Eclipse being the final hurdle (as well as other, more docile, Griffith sightings).

I was thinking about this earlier and I don't see how we could get to see all of them. I think most of them will be fast-forwarded through in Miura's usual considerate fashion, so that it doesn't take ages and we can concentrate on the girls' reactions to the bigger parts. I figure the things who don't get as much air time will be those we can easily situate in the story anyway.

Griffith said:
I also wonder if we'll jump around and see some childhood memories or events from her private time (e.g. the stress/exhaustion of leading the Falcons), maybe even something we've never seen before!

I hope so!

Thanks again for posting the summary Aazealh and puella! Don't have much more to say than seconding people's excitement for what potential memories will be given focus and which will be relegated to montage. I also wonder if there will be some additional requirement/element after all the Casca doll pieces are collected and put together. Like maybe the sprite fragment will need some sort of spark in order to restore/give life to the eventually completed doll?

Great episode. Some very concrete growth for Guts and Serpico nailed down. I also love that the memories are felt by Scheike and Farnese. They will leave this dream feeling like they know the old Casca to some extent.

Excellent episode! Guts and Serpico's retrospective moment feels well timed and well earned. I love all the celebration scenes. It kind of feels like we're all celebrating Casca's imminent return. But man, that was a SMALL piece. They've got their work cut out for them.

I wonder how they're going to react to Casca's memory of Griffith? Since they feel what Casca does in her memories, they're sure to feel the full weight of Griffith's betrayal at the eclipse. Can't wait!

Griffith said:
I also wonder if we'll jump around and see some childhood memories or events from her private time (e.g. the stress/exhaustion of leading the Falcons), maybe even something we've never seen before!
After reading this, i now hope for a scene of the falcons that takes place before Guts joined them !

I am glad that Guts had his little heart to heart with the men in his group. It was sobering to see Guts think about Skull Knights warning about Casca. I was sort of like "yeah...yeah, there is that to deal with possibly." Which makes me wonder about the demonic looking figures in Casca's dream. Does Casca have control over them? Dannan said that Casca makes the rules in her own dream. I assumed they were just symbolic/literal manifestations of the attack she and the falcons endured during the eclipse and the multiple attacks Guts and her expereinced before Guts allowed the group to join him. But could the winded creatures attacking the group also represent Caca's feelings of not wanting to be restored? I think Aaz speculated that the Guts dog might also represent that part of Casca that wants to still fight for her former self. That would indicate some serious mixed feelings on Casca's part about what is going inside her head. I just find it interesting that Miura had Guts think of Skull Knights warning to remind us the reader of it, it kind of puts what we have seen so far into a new percpective. Another thing I was wondering, is there any chance do you think that Farnese and Schierke could be shown Casca's former feelings for Griffith?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vixen Comics said:
Which makes me wonder about the demonic looking figures in Casca's dream. Does Casca have control over them?

They are a part of the dream her mind has created, so yes she does. But this isn't a conscious process or anything like that. It also doesn't deprive them of their symbolic meaning.
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they conglomerated to form a giant Femto-like monster at the top of that pyramid.

Vixen Comics said:
But could the winded creatures attacking the group also represent Caca's feelings of not wanting to be restored? I think Aaz speculated that the Guts dog might also represent that part of Casca that wants to still fight for her former self. That would indicate some serious mixed feelings on Casca's part about what is going inside her head.

Like you say, I have already posted about that exact thing. It's the third post from the top of the page.

Aazealh said:
I think within that world that dog may well be the embodiment of Casca's will to fight, the small part of her that does want to regain herself. It would be fitting for it to take on the guise of a Guts-like entity. Meanwhile, the rest of the world was constructed and is operated by the part of her that does not want to return.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thank you so much Puella and Aaz, as always. Heartwarming and bittersweet feelings abound in this episode. It's very sweet to see Guts's and Casca's companions rally around them, it's everything I hoped for! The face of the little guy ogling Isma's fishy underpants was an additional unexpected treat that I'll treasure for all time. :ganishka:

I am really looking forward to seeing Farnese's reactions to upcoming memories. I think it'll really cement her role as Casca's supporter following her recovery (in case anyone wasn't sure about it already). That said, I can't help but feel like it'll get a bit awkward once they get to some of the more romantic memories. :farnese: Kind of hard to avoid, since these are probably some of Casca's most important memories, just like they have been for Guts. I'm excited about Farnese gaining insight into this in particular, because I imagine the dynamic that'll form between the two women will be really interesting to witness.

That exchange between Guts and Serpico was ... immense. I've gone back to reading it again and again and it's hard not to get emotional by it. Something tells me Roderick isn't going to get to die the way he wants to if or when it happens.

As always, thank you very much Puella and Aaz! I can't wait to land the entire episode in the mail and read the translation when it comes out in due time. Also waiting on the last episode to arrive in the mail.

Top Bottom