Episode 350

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Salem said:
Truly amazing. I can't add much that hasn't been said already, but one thing making me curious is the pace. We could be at that last piece next episode, :femto: or perhaps the next few episodes. Hard to tell. Our Casca is almost back.

My guess is there's about three episodes left. Volume 39 will end on one hell of a cliffhanger.

Griffith said:
I think there's going to be plenty of Griffith soon enough, and there's rightfully so much shine on Casca, Guts, Farnese, and Schierke in this episode that it almost distracts from the fact that soon they'll be informed about Griffith's character and current relationship to Guts and Casca in the most stark way possible.

Yep...

Casca's healing is taking shorter than expected, people who hark on the series at the moment complain about the plot being too slow, but in a volume's worth of content we've already gone from Elfhelm, to the Flower Storm Queen to Casca's healing. However I wouldn't mind delving into Casca's memories further, the sheer variety of nightmare creatures and otherworldly environments on display leaves we wanting more.

I was expecting the inevitable sex scene to be extremely awkward for Farnese and Schierke to watch, and I laughed my ass off when Farnese cover Shierke's eyes, and of course they've been companionzoned by this revelation :farnese: :schierke:. It warmed my heart when the Casca sprite said she wanted to meet "that person :beast:" again. As I already said the memories of Griffith's downfall are sure to make an appearance at the hellish peak, but I wonder what kind of creatures Shierke and Farnese will have to face to obtain these memories, and how they expect to fight these powerful creatures if their most powerful talismans ( giant golem, flame wheel, potentially swamp Cthulu) don't work on them.

The worst memory of them all is sure to take a toll on both Farnese and Shierke, It'll be a grueling task re living the trauma Casca experienced at the eclipse, and the task at hand has been relatively easy so far, it will be intersting how the stakes will be raised in the next episode. It would be an apt time for a God Hand member to appear, since we know they can enter dreams and cast impressions onto different world planes, however this is just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm not a fan of Miura's current art style, however the Golden Age scenes taken from different angles are stunning, I especially love ball scene, and the ominous silhouette of Guts outside.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MrFlibble said:
As I already said the memories of Griffith's downfall are sure to make an appearance at the hellish peak

Well yeah, it's only logical that the events leading up to the Eclipse would be featured as they reach the mountain symbolizing the Eclipse... That being said, there's no certainty regarding what will be shown. Miura could very well decide to skip the smaller stuff, especially since it doesn't speak as much to Farnese and Schierke (as opposed to Casca's love story with Guts).

MrFlibble said:
swamp Cthulu

The Lord of Rotting Roots.

MrFlibble said:
It would be an apt time for a God Hand member to appear, since we know they can enter dreams and cast impressions onto different world planes, however this is just wishful thinking on my part.

I really don't think it would make any sense for the real Femto to appear. His presence will already be overwhelming through Casca's memories and whatever adversarial manifestations her mind comes up with.
The only member of the God Hand for whom it would be coherent to show up is Ubik. But even then I don't think it'd be proper, given the context. It would detract from the hard enough task of fixing Casca's mind, and would alter how we perceive the nature of her trauma.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Do you think that Farnese and Schierke can really get hurt a lot when they'll get around the eclipse and stuff (mentally speaking) or Danan would intervine somehow?

I'm scare of the upcoming episodes just because of that possibility.

Great episode, the pacing was a lot quicker than I expected, but that's not a complaint. I'm even more hyped for what's to come.

[quote author=jackson_hurley]Do you think that Farnese and Schierke can really get hurt a lot when they'll get around the eclipse and stuff (mentally speaking) or Danan would intervine somehow?
[/quote]

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not... but right now I am kind of opposed to Danan directly intervening. I think I would rather see Schierke and Farnese achieve their goal without direct help from her. It's also possible that I'm completely misunderstanding exactly what's going on in Casca's dream. :ganishka:

I wrote a quick post a few eps ago, when we first saw the island, stating it all felt a bit underwhelming after such a long wait. What I've seen of 350 has me genuinely excited. It feels like we are on the threshold and it is just so exciting. These glimpses into the past are so wonderful and they renew the pain of Caska's tragedy. Despite the insane amount of worldbuilding and character development over the years, in the back of my head I'm always thinking let's get Caska fixed already! Miura has done a masterful job of laying the groundwork for the endgame of this saga and we are about to witness the joining of all the threads. This is going to propel the story forward with so much momentum that I think it will literally usher in a new era of Berserk. Thank you for the translation and all the great work that goes on at this site. As always, I appreciate all of you very much!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
jackson_hurley said:
Do you think that Farnese and Schierke can really get hurt a lot when they'll get around the eclipse and stuff (mentally speaking) or Danan would intervine somehow?

I'm scare of the upcoming episodes just because of that possibility.

What if...instead of Casca being cured, all their minds become shattered instead! :???: :farnese: :schierke:

Yeah, probably not, I think they'll be ok whether Danan intervenes or not, but they'll certainly be changed, their relationship to Casca, Guts, and especially Griffith, will be very different, and they'll have a powerful frame of reference to emphasize with Guts and Casca and understand whatever they decide to do going forward.

buttonmasher said:
I wrote a quick post a few eps ago, when we first saw the island, stating it all felt a bit underwhelming after such a long wait. What I've seen of 350 has me genuinely excited. It feels like we are on the threshold and it is just so exciting. These glimpses into the past are so wonderful and they renew the pain of Casca's tragedy. Despite the insane amount of worldbuilding and character development over the years, in the back of my head I'm always thinking let's get Casca fixed already! Miura has done a masterful job of laying the groundwork for the endgame of this saga and we are about to witness the joining of all the threads. This is going to propel the story forward with so much momentum that I think it will literally usher in a new era of Berserk. Thank you for the translation and all the great work that goes on at this site. As always, I appreciate all of you very much!

Nicely said, and I think it's a fair to point out that after all this time there was almost no way Elfhelm itself, though it's appropriately fantastical and fun too, could live up to our anticipation, but that's because it was merely a destination for the journey, and the real end of that journey, the payoff we've been anticipating for much longer, 25 volumes, is what were seeing now.

It's interesting, when Puck first proposed going to Elfhelm over 15 volumes ago, it was just to find a safe place since Godot's mine was destroyed, it wasn't suggested Casca could actually be cured there until much later, and so became about that. I wonder if Miura always intended it that way but wanted to reveal it in due time, or if, as the story progressed and expanded (say, for example, if he intended Elfhelm to be an earlier stop and stepping stone), he realized that the journey for a safe haven and Casca's recovery should be one and the same.

I'm kind of loving the pacing right now. I feel like between the last couple episodes we're getting the right amount of exposition and time to relish moments, but we don't linger too long on things as it goes. No need for a big fight with the Wheel flame, or Golem, we all get it. We don't need an elaborate memory for everything that holds her together, just the highlight reel along with an interesting journey. It really is interesting that the two who go to rescue Gut's love also have a crush on him.

Very interesting and distinct creatures. I almost expected the bat-cape creatures to be consistant throughout. This is much more fun. I agree with Aazealh, the climax will take a couple episodes. It should, to deal with the trauma that has led up to this point. I can't think of another series that has such a main character out of the action for so long. Miura has really earned this as a serious matter that doesn't get a hand waived cure. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have some more significant difficulty involved. Honestly in some ways it's been interesting but fairly strait forward so far. It has me expecting something more than merely a revisit to the Eclipse. I like the idea that the memory is what breaks her, and has to be discarded. It could really set up some differing motives. Shame or guilt for having deified Griffith and therefore being responsible for her men's demise could be interesting as well, but much less likely.

The interesting thing is that we've never truly spelled out how and when her mind broke. Could it have been something beyond the betrayal and rape? She was a strong woman, and I don't buy that she just collapsed at the experience and retreated internally. It's strait forward, but not realistic if it's just the experience. It would have been messed up beyond words and I totally understand life changing mental trauma, but Casca's condition is kinda beyond that. She's a walking potato. I'm thinking it's specifically tied to her being branded when Femto raped her. Something akin to a curse that they have to lift. I don't know maybe I'm speculating too much, it just feels like the reveal will be more than something we've seen before.

Anyhow, we're closing a major chapter in Berserk lore once this all happens. The series will have a more specific direction once we know the result of all of this and what SK's prophesy was all about. I really hope Miura continues beyond the Anime season's run.

Griffith said:
It's interesting, when Puck first proposed going to Elfhelm over 15 volumes ago, it was just to find a safe place since Godot's mine was destroyed, it wasn't suggested Casca could actually be cured there until much later, and so became about that. I wonder if Miura always intended it that way but wanted to reveal it in due time, or if, as the story progressed and expanded (say, for example, if he intended Elfhelm to be an earlier stop and stepping stone), he realized that the journey for a safe haven and Casca's recovery should be one and the same.

That's a really great fact that I had completely forgotten. Not too long ago you guys posted an interview where Miura was talking more of the nuts and bolts of how Berserk gets made. I had always thought that Miura had this elaborate step-by-step plan for how the story would progress but it seems he is a bit more fluid than I ever would have imagined. By being so consistent in his excellence he gives himself plenty of wiggle room to work the story into any changes of heart he might encounter. I honestly don't believe he intended for the distance between trauma and cure to be so lengthy but he discovered how his story needs to unfold. I feel it shows a lot of courage to take one of your main characters out of the mix for so long because it serves the story rather than the expectations of the fans.

Seriously, the name of the damn manga is Berserk and given the choice would you rather Guts discover that armor or find a cure for Casca? I can't help but feel like we are witnessing the event that draws every Berserk fan back into the fold. I remember all the negativity about the voyage across the sea and the term filler being thrown around with reckless abandon. I'm not trying to go down a rabbit hole but it is just so crazy that our patience is about to be rewarded handsomely.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Four damned Seven-Elevens later, I found Young Animal. It was nice having the insert that covers the most recent episode of the anime - good for comparison.

Episode 350 moved things along nicely. Seeing that "6/23" at the end of the episode was nice. Highlights include the first-person memories, the Schierke eye-coverings and the adorable mini-Casca saying that she wants to see that person... I feel like it's Griffith, but I'm thinking Guts. Either way, my heart strings were well and truly pulled.

Man, these are exciting times. I also feel that the person the Casca-sprite wants to see is Griffith. It seems that the fragments of Casca also signify parts of her memories, and the part that's missing (the brand) indicates that mini-Casca is not aware of what Griffith would become. So it's possible that this is still a representation of Casca that worshipped Griffith, making it all the worse when they actually find that piece.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:

There's probably a measure of real danger, and the experience will likely take a toll on them, at least emotionally. We'll see.

N7Paladin said:
I am kind of opposed to Danan directly intervening. I think I would rather see Schierke and Farnese achieve their goal without direct help from her. It's also possible that I'm completely misunderstanding exactly what's going on in Casca's dream. :ganishka:

Danan's doing quite a lot already. She's the one that allowed them to penetrate Casca's mind, and she's the one guiding them through it, towards the fragments and their ultimate goal. They couldn't have done anything if it weren't for her.

Griffith said:
Nicely said, and I think it's a fair to point out that after all this time there was almost no way Elfhelm itself, though it's appropriately fantastical and fun too, could live up to our anticipation, but that's because it was merely a destination for the journey, and the real end of that journey, the payoff we've been anticipating for much longer, 25 volumes, is what were seeing now.

I don't know, personally I found that Elfhelm squarely met my expectations. The island's just an island, sure (duh), but the giant cherry tree, the overwhelming diversity of elves and their crazy whimsical behavior is a perfect fit for what I imagined. I also think Danan is brilliant as the Sovereign of the Flower Storm, and the Great Gurus haven't disappointed either so far. Hell, even the young witches are cool, and I thought the introductory fight was pretty badass. Frankly I don't think there's anything more I would have wanted except I guess more two page spreads of the scenery? But that pretty much goes for every single episode ever.

Griffith said:

This is something I've often thought about in the past. What I'll say is that for as long as I've read Berserk, I've been convinced Guts would not simply drop her off and be on his way. It just felt inevitable that she would be cured. So to me the Skull Knight's words in volume 28 were only a confirmation in a sense (though I was still overjoyed to read it).

buttonmasher said:
I honestly don't believe he intended for the distance between trauma and cure to be so lengthy but he discovered how his story needs to unfold. I feel it shows a lot of courage to take one of your main characters out of the mix for so long because it serves the story rather than the expectations of the fans.

Yeah, one thing that's clear is he's not afraid of taking the time he needs to tell the story as he feels it should be. The biggest example of this is the Golden Age arc, which is probably one of the longest flashbacks ever told in a work of fiction.

buttonmasher said:
I remember all the negativity about the voyage across the sea and the term filler being thrown around with reckless abandon. I'm not trying to go down a rabbit hole but it is just so crazy that our patience is about to be rewarded handsomely.

For the record, there was no negativity on this forum. It's important to understand that the people who complained about the sea journey were morons. Morons have complained about the series for as long as it has existed. They complained about volume 24 and the expansion of magic in the series. They complained about the Berserk's armor. They endlessly complained about Vritannis and the Kushans' invasion, ceaselessly asking "when will they get on the damn boat!". And predictably, when the party embarked on the Sea Horse towards Elfhelm, those same idiots immediately complained about how the trip took too long. Which is not true, by the way, it didn't take too long. The voyage was pretty fucking cool all things considered, and the bulk of it was actually spent on land, investigating the Sea God's island. Ten years from now you'll find people telling you that's their favorite part of the series. Anyway, the morons also complained about Fantasia and Falconia, and now they're no doubt complaining about Elfhelm.

What you should understand is that those who couldn't enjoy the journey will also not enjoy the destination. They're the same people who just wanted Guts to leave Casca somewhere and for his companions to die. They're those who said he would use the beherit to become an apostle so he could better fight Zodd. They're those who thought Casca would join Griffith so that Guts would be extra-betrayed and extra-angry. What we all feel so strongly about, the imminent return of a beloved character, probably just bores them. They don't see why it's so important, nor how strongly it will impact the story. They surely have stupid expectations for it that will, as per usual, not be met. And cause more complaining.

In short, they're the ones who don't get it. They never did and they never will. So feel free to enjoy this moment, but do not bother trying to relate it to those complaints or to rationalize them. You'll just be disappointed.

Uriel said:
I feel like it's Griffith, but I'm thinking Guts.
K. said:
I also feel that the person the Casca-sprite wants to see is Griffith. It seems that the fragments of Casca also signify parts of her memories, and the part that's missing (the brand) indicates that mini-Casca is not aware of what Griffith would become.

Are we reading the same manga? I'm baffled. Do the memories shown to us so far indicate that Griffith is more central to Casca's mind than Guts? [Hint: it does not.] Even Farnese and Schierke, who have been experiencing her feelings, both conclude that the Sprite surely means Guts. What more do you guys want?

Although I don't post much, I've been lurking here long enough to know that Aazealh tends to be right, so yeah :serpico:. Anyway, I should just explain that I didn't think that Griffith is more important to Casca's mind than Guts, just that at one point he was, and considering the missing piece, the Casca's sprite could be at that point. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the greatest idea.

Has anyone brought up the condition of this last sprite or any of them? I believe this last one will be very weak or even try to get away from the crew. Especially where we're headed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
K. said:
Anyway, I should just explain that I didn't think that Griffith is more important to Casca's mind than Guts, just that at one point he was, and considering the missing piece, the Casca's sprite could be at that point. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the greatest idea.

I get where you're coming from, but it just feels like an odd conclusion to reach given the context. Both this episode and the previous one feature memories that put Guts front and center, and in this one specifically we see Farnese reflect on Casca's relationships with both Guts and Griffith. Even though the Eclipse-related fragments haven't been recovered yet, at that point Casca was very much in love with Guts. Miura basically walks the reader through how that love was formed and how strong it is, and the episode ends with Farnese telling the Sprite that the one she wants to meet also wants to meet her. Seems pretty clear-cut.

Salem said:
Has anyone brought up the condition of this last sprite or any of them? I believe this last one will be very weak or even try to get away from the crew. Especially where we're headed.

There's only one sprite actually, what they find each time are fragments of the broken doll (one fragment for one memory). But it's the same sprite that they first found, only it has evolved as they fixed up the doll. It represents Casca's current ego.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Salem said:
I must have confused the sprite moving frantically with multiples for each memory, or parts of her ego.

Ah yeah, indeed, it's a decomposed animation.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
I don't know, personally I found that Elfhelm squarely met my expectations. The island's just an island, sure (duh), but the giant cherry tree, the overwhelming diversity of elves and their crazy whimsical behavior is a perfect fit for what I imagined. I also think Danan is brilliant as the Sovereign of the Flower Storm, and the Great Gurus haven't disappointed either so far. Hell, even the young witches are cool, and I thought the introductory fight was pretty badass.

Indeed, I should clarify that the point I took away from buttonmasher's post was that despite all you just said there wasn't a way for a new location and characters alone, even among non-morons =), to live up to over a decade worth of storytelling capital and anticipation in and of themselves without another major payoff like this (the biggest one left besides the end), which is why I think Miura wasted no time really. I think it goes hand in hand by design, and whatever else happens here Elfhelm will ultimately be "the place we got Casca back," and what could be better than that?

Aazealh said:
This is something I've often thought about in the past. What I'll say is that for as long as I've read Berserk, I've been convinced Guts would not simply drop her off and be on his way. It just felt inevitable that she would be cured. So to me the Skull Knight's words in volume 28 were only a confirmation in a sense (though I was still overjoyed to read it).

Yeah, if I recall Puck brought it up, like if he was just going to leave her again or stick with her (and ultimately, from a plot standpoint, what else could that entail if not a cure). It would be cool to know more about Miura's process, because the story is so big, complex, yet detailed and nuanced there's really so many different directions he could go. Like, I'm sure he has a general outline of major events to come in his head, but I'm most curious about what happens once he starts filling in the blanks between points A, B, and C and starts embellishing with all sorts of cool little details and new ideas he springboards off of into directions perhaps even he didn't expect but realized he wanted/needed to do to make the story better and as good as he wants it to be. I think what the constant or casual complainers don't realize is that Miura is weaving a much more difficult yarn than just Guts going around bashing stuff until he gets to Griffith, and that even they wouldn't care so much about the bashing without those things, which are what gives the story, even the mayhem, its depth rather than distracting or detracting from it.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, one thing that's clear is he's not afraid of taking the time he needs to tell the story as he feels it should be. The biggest example of this is the Golden Age arc, which is probably one of the longest flashbacks ever told in a work of fiction.

Yep, the prime example, the most famous part of and heart of the series is basically a giant diversion that literally became the series. That's probably still the most popular part of the story and makes you care about everything else. I think it's fair to say Berserk as we know and love it really began in earnest with the Golden Age arc, and that's no slight against BS, which is very cool, all good, and sets everything up nicely, but imagine if instead of the Golden Age flashback the Black Swordsman had just gone on slaying more Snake monsters until he reached the evil bird guy (like some basically keep advocating for). I don't think I'd still be following. =)

Aazealh said:
For the record, there was no negativity on this forum. It's important to understand that the people who complained about the sea journey were morons.

Well, no negativity for the story, but definitely for morons. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
whatever else happens here Elfhelm will ultimately be "the place we got Casca back," and what could be better than that?

Indeed.

Griffith said:
It would be cool to know more about Miura's process, because the story is so big, complex, yet detailed and nuanced there's really so many different directions he could go.

I'm sure a lot of professional writers would like to as well. :void:

Griffith said:
I think what the constant or casual complainers don't realize is that Miura is weaving a much more difficult yarn than just Guts going around bashing stuff until he gets to Griffith, and that even they wouldn't care so much about the bashing without those things, which are what gives the story, even the mayhem, its depth rather than distracting or detracting from it.

Call me cynical but at this point (after dealing with it for 15 years basically) I don't think these people are really capable of appreciating the story.

Griffith said:
imagine if instead of the Golden Age flashback the Black Swordsman had just gone on slaying more Snake monsters until he reached the evil bird guy (like some basically keep advocating for). I don't think I'd still be following. =)

More importantly, the story would have been over 20 years ago!

Griffith said:

:iva:

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Griffith said:
I think what the constant or casual complainers don't realize is that Miura is weaving a much more difficult yarn than just Guts going around bashing stuff until he gets to Griffith, and that even they wouldn't care so much about the bashing without those things, which are what gives the story, even the mayhem, its depth rather than distracting or detracting from it.

These morons are bound to appear and annoy Berserk fans. Specially now with probably the lowest quality adaptation we could get, many new audiences are drawn in by something that doesn't really convey Berserk. They're shown a lie almost. I feel SK net as a safe heaven for me. Berserk groups of my native language are mostly reposting / shitposting / rape jokes / waifu shipping / shit-tier theories, all augmented by an audience that doesn't really care for grammar or punctuation. This includes people that want rather have Caska dead in the story, that believe she enjoyed being raped, that would have Guts "Rage mode" for the rest of the story (there really wouldn't be any story - there's reasons Miura didn't show us entire 2 years of Apostle hunting during Black Swordsman).

Anyway, regarding the actual story, I ask myself if SK could appear after Caska's ritual unfolds. He has his ways of climbing steep rocks, huge towers, flying his horse and appearing when least expected.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
Anyway, regarding the actual story, I ask myself if SK could appear after Casca's ritual unfolds. He has his ways of climbing steep rocks, huge towers, flying his horse and appearing when least expected.

I do expect him to visit at some point.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
I do expect him to visit at some point.

I Wonder if he comes to visit like you think it's gonna happen, if he's the one who's gonna be the incentive to make them leave or if some major event will arrive around the same time. It could be a classic cryptic warning or something of the likes. I'm not that good at speculating. Just a random thought about it.

What's your take on it? (if you have one of course)

Could it be possible or do you feel it more in a visit only appearance?

Menosgade

jackson_hurley said:
I Wonder if he comes to visit like you think it's gonna happen, if he's the one who's gonna be the incentive to make them leave or if some major event will arrive around the same time. It could be a classic cryptic warning or something of the likes. I'm not that good at speculating. Just a random thought about it.

What's your take on it? (if you have one of course)

Could it be possible or do you feel it more in a visit only appearance?

He definitely would only appear for a reason. Plot-wise there's no reason for him to just visit, have a talk with Guts, talk to the Elf Queen and see if Caska's OK, specially considering there's so much in the world going on. It also doesn't fit the character. I believe it'd most likely be related to their trip back to mainland, or even a possible danger going towards the island, if we stretch speculating a bit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
He definitely would only appear for a reason. Plot-wise there's no reason for him to just visit, have a talk with Guts, talk to the Elf Queen and see if Casca's OK, specially considering there's so much in the world going on. It also doesn't fit the character. I believe it'd most likely be related to their trip back to mainland, or even a possible danger going towards the island, if we stretch speculating a bit.

SK has nothing to say right now? I mean sure his former capital city has reappeared, his failed attack on Femto helped usher in a new world, Guts' lover is back ... but yeah, ... what's to say, really? Would be pointless.

Menosgade

Walter said:
SK has nothing to say right now? I mean sure his former capital city has reappeared, his failed attack on Femto helped usher in a new world, Guts' lover is back ... but yeah, ... what's to say, really? Would be pointless.

I don't think you fully understood the context of my comment. Jackson_hurley made a difference between SK appearing for a relevant, such as giving a message, purpose or for "visiting". "visit only appearance" as he said. My point is that it'd actually involve things you've mentioned, not simply visiting, as I did point out there's plenty of important stuff happening and didnt actually imply he "has nothing to say".

Top Bottom