Episode 353

The Beast of Darkness said:
Here is the link for the Young Animal pre-order: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2183706?s_ssid=e45d0e5a6702dfb5ec

Just pre-ordered mine. :guts:

Thanks for the link. Also pre-ordered :guts:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I know! It's driving me nuts! And I still haven't received the last issue containing ep352 in it. I was joking with a friend that I would probably pre-order ep353 before I get my hands on 352.

Anyways, Can't wait to get this one.

I've been checking CDJapan every once in a while the last few days to see if it was out yet. I checked yesterday and still nothing. I meant to look again this morning before I left the house, but forgot. It popped into my mind while I was driving and bugged me so much I pulled off the road to check on my phone. :ganishka: I guess my anticipation for this next episode is pretty high. Anyway, I placed my pre-order and got back on the road again! :SK:

JMP said:
I've been checking CDJapan every once in a while the last few days to see if it was out yet. I checked yesterday and still nothing. I meant to look again this morning before I left the house, but forgot. It popped into my mind while I was driving and bugged me so much I pulled off the road to check on my phone. :ganishka: I guess my anticipation for this next episode is pretty high. Anyway, I placed my pre-order and got back on the road again! :SK:

I kept checking for it all yesterday. It had come up on the Monday of the release week the last couple of times.

Getting excited and feeling a bit jittery.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting developments, and lots of things to process.

As I thought, the duel between the giant Falcon and Guts/Dog only serves to give the girls some respite to reach the last fragment. Notably cool is the cannon coming out of its mouth and the fireball it shoots (we are in a dream after all). Seeing it use the Dragon Slayer as a flail is also fun for what it is. I very much like that the Falcon is undamaged (although it reveals his eye somehow), and seemingly undamageable. Shows how potent the trauma it represents is. Seeing Femto's eye also makes it eerily creepy.

It was great to see Flora again, and it's interesting that her appearance was triggered by Danan, too. It fulfills her last words to Schierke, that she would see her in her dreams. However I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed that it's "just" this and not a deeper moment where they can talk at length.

Obviously the big question concerns the last page reveal: that the last fragment is the Demon Child. It makes sense thematically: the whole cocoon aspect of the brambles invited this kind of thing, and it can be directly tied to the rape, since it's what turned the boy into a monstrosity. However it also raises a number of questions. The one that immediately came to my mind is that Casca was broken before she gave birth to the child.

Of course it can still work fine because in this layer of her dream Casca is somewhat aware of the real world (see the whole imagery of the dog carrying the broken doll in the coffin and enduring hardships from relentless monsters), but that makes me very curious to see how Miura will reconcile the chain of events. Next episode should have the answer, as Schierke & Farnese experience the pivotal moment that destroyed Casca's mind... But the wait will make it a loooong month.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Wow! That... was.. mindblowing. Amazing episode.

Miura never cease to amaze me.
I'm probably mistaken but one of the monsters in the beginning of the episode made me think of Wyald.

I just hope my package won't get lost in the mail because wow I really want these pages in big format! (And i also don't want to lose 20$ hehe)

Aazealh said:
Very interesting developments, and lots of things to process.

Obviously the big question concerns the last page reveal: that the last fragment is the Demon Child. It makes sense thematically: the whole cocoon aspect of the brambles invited this kind of thing, and it can be directly tied to the rape, since it's what turned the boy into a monstrosity. However it also raises a number of questions. The one that immediately came to my mind is that Casca was broken before she gave birth to the child.

Of course it can still work fine because in this layer of her dream Casca is somewhat aware of the real world (see the whole imagery of the dog carrying the broken doll in the coffin and enduring hardships from relentless monsters), but that makes me very curious to see how Miura will reconcile the chain of events. Next episode should have the answer, as Schierke & Farnese experience the pivotal moment that destroyed Casca's mind... But the wait will make it a loooong month.
:carcus:

"There's someone I want to see"...I think it's not who we assumed it was, and will provide an answer as to what will give her (and I guess everyone) a goal or purpose after Elhelm. While she was broken before giving birth, I'm hoping it's revealed that her attachment to the child was more than just instinctual, that there was true heartbreak over it being corrupted and then lost.

FLOORRAAAAAA :judo: Not surprised but really nice to see her again

The Dragonslayer is planted in the Count's face on the third page

Referring to ep 350:

Aazealh said:
No, not really. It's obviously Guts, as Farnese and Schierke point out at the end of the episode. And even without that, really, it's pretty clear given the memories we've been shown.

1d8acd8c6e8e337ce31bef84a8636491.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
My first words: holy cannoli. This episode delivered the goods!
It's almost absurd to think now that I was expecting the first episode after the 6-month break to be the reveal of the memory fragment, with all that has happened in the last two episodes. Despite all that, the reveal of the Demon Child was a pretty massive curve ball. Miura knew what people expecting, and indeed had been expecting for years, and I really respect him for not taking the route that fans had already accepted in their minds. Will we still be forced to relive the rape with Farnese/Schierke? Walter, like you, I was dreading this. On one hand, I'm hoping that the memory won't have to be dealt with directly - for example, maybe Femto's presence in the dream can act as a representation of it and how it's taken over her psyche, and it won't be dealt with until after Casca "wakes up," possibly through her feelings of tenderness for her son, and the desire to help him. After that, once Guts comes back into the picture, feelings of the rape could come back around and Schierke and Farnese can come to her aid in the waking world. Not sure if this is right, but thought that just crossed my mind.

EDIT: How could I neglect to mention Flora?! What a moment! I agree that it would have been nicer to have some more time between here and Schierke,
but just seeing her brought a wee tear to my sappy old eye. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
"There's someone I want to see"...I think it's not who we assumed it was, and will provide an answer as to what will give her (and I guess everyone) a goal or purpose after Elhelm.

Oh it's been no secret that Guts & Casca's son will be key to the last segment of the story (providing at least some of them with a motivation to go face Griffith while at the same time providing dramatic tension because of the Griffith/Moonlight Boy situation). I've been saying so for years! More to the point, I wonder if her attachment to her son might be what motivates her to come back to herself in the first place. The Sprite's comment might be considered a foreshadowing of that decision. Because as I've been saying, one could argue the hardest task is still ahead of Farnese and Schierke: actually help Casca get over the trauma, convince her to face her pain in the real world.

Now the problem is that might require some complex mental gymnastics if Schierke has to connect the dots between the Demon Child and the Moonlight Boy while they're all in the Corridor of Dreams... Feels like too many things would be happening at once. Maybe it won't be necessary, or maybe things will occur differently, we'll see.

All of that being said, I don't think the appearance of the Demon Child here means it will be all about him. He's the symbol that will trigger the memory, like the chandelier or waterfall or sword and helmet were earlier on. That makes sense because his existence is a direct consequence of the rape and he holds so much importance to her, so what better representation for it? But I still expect the memory itself to be about the rape during the Eclipse.

Mage said:
While she was broken before giving birth, I'm hoping it's revealed that her attachment to the child was more than just instinctual, that there was true heartbreak over it being corrupted and then lost.

I don't think it necessarily matters whether she felt something more than instinct when she was insane. Because she was mindless and cared for nothing... except for her son. In that state, I feel that it was enough, more than enough even. But obviously, after she wakes up, it will have to take a whole other dimension. I have no doubt that it will. And it might cause friction with Guts.

Grail said:
Will we still be forced to relive the rape with Farnese/Schierke? Walter, like you, I was dreading this.

I think so. I think it would be a cop out to not show it. And it will have to be from her point of view, and I still think there will be a focus on Guts looking at her.
There is no doubt in my mind that it has to be dealt with, and the evocative forms of the monsters on this gloomy hill have already been pointing in that direction.

I feel that much like Casca herself, we as readers must face what happened once more in order to be able to move past it. Schierke and Farnese need to see it as well in order to fully understand what she (and Guts by extension) has been through. If I had to comfort the readers who are already wincing at the idea, I'd say that we can take heart in the knowledge that this time is different. Much like when Guts managed to save Casca (with Isidro's help!) during the Incarnation ceremony, Farnese and Schierke will find a way to rescue her from the endless nightmare of her trauma.

Doc said:

We'll see. Maybe. Not the first time I would be wrong about something if so...
It's pretty sad that this is all you have to contribute though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that was a surprise! :isidro:
And :flora: too! That was nice... though I do wish they had more of a reunion (perhaps they still will).

As a consequence of the rape, the child has become the symbol for it. Pretty brilliant work by Miura, and fucking depressing. Also, since we first saw the shape of the fragment, a lot of us were talking about how it somewhat resembled the "shell" Femto hatches from, which was a problematic reference since it only really existed in the vol 12 cover. But it being womb-like for the child makes a lot more sense.

As for it being initially confusing to see the child in a setting meant to evoke the Eclipse, this is, after all, a dream world which has exhibited traces of Casca's life after the Eclipse. I think this represents the moment where the memories of Casca crossover to the memories of the sprite, the mental state of Casca who has been conscious since the Eclipse. The past Casca kept these old memories locked away from the sprite, though we've already been shown (via the wounded representation of Guts), she may have been privy to glimpses of what the new Casca had been experiencing on the surface, which of course encompasses the child's birth.

Aazealh said:
Now the problem is that might require some complex mental gymnastics if Schierke has to connect the dots between the Demon Child and the Moonlight Boy while they're all in the Corridor of Dreams... Feels like too many things would be happening at once. Maybe it won't be necessary, or maybe things will occur differently, we'll see.

Miura has held out the confirmation of the demon child being the moonlight boy for years. But for one character, it's never been a mystery. His mother has treated both iterations of that character the same. And we're inside her head, and dealing with malleable symbology. It could be simple: What if we see the child transform into the boy right before their eyes? It might have to, in order to protect her, like it has in the past.

PS: Oh yeah, the fight! :ganishka: Cool to see Femto's eye for a moment there. And there was even a moment where it seemed the Dragon Slayer was going to do some real damage to Femto. But it's clear that it's an overpowering force, both in the dream world and in reality. It being left unresolved still holds the door open to a restored Casca screaming and ripping the dream world into pieces, JUST SAYIN! :ubik:

While I'm constantly excited to see the events in each episode, I'm always amazed by the quality of the arts... look at that seriously, it look just perfect.

That went from zero to ex machina really quickly. I too wish Flora had more dialouge with Shierke instead of just well drawn action scenes. But that seems to be the theme of the corridoor of dreams episodes. I'm hoping for more introspection when facing the final memory itself. Perhaps the demon child representing the last fragment means it accomodates Casca's post eclipse memories as well as the rape. Not likely but would be interesting. I assume Casca will remember everything she has experienced in her damaged state.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Flora
ex machina or dues ex
Flora? =)

There was a lot of introspection on the way and I'm sure much more to come. For now, a little less conversation, a little more action! Especially since that action is sort of the conversation right now. Two things stood out as "OH SHIT... duh!" moments to me:
Flora literally pulling herself out of Schierke's hat to save the day and lay waste to the "apostles" pursuing them, which was a nice surprise to me even though it was discussed, but I don't think you could ask for more in the thick of things (plus, is it really any more Flora than Mozgus' head, even if it is to Schierke?). And the Demon Child reappearing as the literal, and perfect, final piece of the Casca puzzle, whatever we thought the rules of the game might have been (super cool surreal Femto dream eye and Dragon Slail say we should just roll with it =). We also discussed some form of the child being involved, and we may not be done yet, but it's a pretty great symbol of not only Casca's trauma and tragedy, but joy and hope. Kudos, Miura, I'm blown away again.
:ubik:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Griffith said:
We also discussed some form of the child being involved, and we not be done yet, but it's a pretty great symbol of not only Casca's trauma and tragedy, but joy and hope. Kudos, Miura, I'm blown away again.
:ubik:

That's a great point. Just seeing the little guy there was a very bittersweet moment. It makes me wonder how Casca will express these feelings when she returns. All I can say is that I know I'm gonna get choked up!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MrFlibble said:
Perhaps the demon child representing the last fragment means it accomodates Casca's post eclipse memories as well as the rape. Not likely but would be interesting. I assume Casca will remember everything she has experienced in her damaged state.

I thought as much and have been racking my brain about how this could work, but so far I haven't found any satisfactory answer. I assume that this memory snippet will be the longest of the lot, but even so, to feature the child means to feature memories of Casca after the Eclipse, i.e. after she lost her mind. I'm just not sure how it could be pulled off.

I also think the rape and the birth of her child are two very different (but equally important) moments, and while they're directly connected, I worry (maybe foolishly) that squeezing them together would lessen both of their impact. Plus it means showing us how she perceived the world (in particular Guts, Rickert and Erika) as an insane person, which again complexifies the scene.

Regarding her remembering everything, I think it'd make sense to have her entire memory of her life after the Eclipse (until the present day) gathered into one single fragment, and for the focus of it to be her son... However it would still detract from the actual event that broke her, which is what this is all supposed to be about. I'm sure Miura could make it work if he wanted to, but I have a hard time picturing it right now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Summary, courtesy of puella

The episode title is "The last fragment".

Schierke, ever the astute observer, says she's sure that is the Berserk's armor, and that Guts is going berserk. She says they will take the coffin back while the enemies are in disarray, scared by Guts. She adds that otherwise, Guts himself might break the coffin this time around. Farnese warns that the bird is there again, and this time he's going for Guts. While the two beasts fight in the background, we see Farnese command Serpico to help the golems lift the coffin, as they're struggling. Serpico complains. Schierke comments that monsters are continuously sprouting from the miasma strewn by the bird. It's endless. And Farnese remarks that the fetishes are also at their limit... As the monsters are about to catch up to them, Schierke desperately says that they have no protective means left.

But she suddenly hears Danan's voice, who tells her that there is still one left... in the memories that she is preciously wearing. Her hat flies off and Flora appears out of it (remember how emotionally attached to her hat she was in Vritannis? Yeah.). "Teacher!", she exclaims. Flora speaks: "Didn't I tell you we would see each other again in a dream? You have managed to reach this far, Schierke. I'm proud of you as your teacher. This time I should give you a blessing, my lovely pupil." Then she burns them all down, and tell the girls to get to the fragment.

But as they get to it, they realize it's out of their reach and wonder what they should do. Serpico, as he is apparently wont to do in Farnese's mind, complains. Farnese says to leave it to her, and then to "put this under the coffin". This being her Mozgus' stone. Schierke comments on how convenient it is. Her last words as they reach the fragment are: "Now, finally..."

Top Bottom