Episode 354

Not much to say other than the countdown begins:

http://www.younganimal.com/magazine/next.html

I can’t wait for the episode to come out! :daiba:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
IncantatioN said:
Thanks for the link, Sareth.

It's pretty weird I didn't get the issue carrying episode 352 yet but I received the one with 353.

HUmm weird indeed. But they do warn us (well at least in my e-mail) that it can take up from 2 to 6 weeks to get here and in extreme cases up to 3 months. I received ep352 a week or so after pre-ordering ep353. (I hope for you that it did not get lost in the mail. I know I would be pissed about that, and tbh I was starting to be a bit scared when it got to 6 weeks of waiting.)

Where do you live?

jackson_hurley said:
HUmm weird indeed. But they do warn us (well at least in my e-mail) that it can take up from 2 to 6 weeks to get here and in extreme cases up to 3 months. I received ep352 a week or so after pre-ordering ep353. (I hope for you that it did not get lost in the mail. I know I would be pissed about that, and tbh I was starting to be a bit scared when it got to 6 weeks of waiting.)

Where do you live?

New York. I used to hit up the local Kinokuniya before but I've been tied up with work and I traveled a bit in the last quarter of 2017 resulting in not being able to order a copy from em. I've been checking YJA to see if I can buy it but it's a bit of a hassle. So I'd rather buy from CDJapan and spend a little more for the convenience.

jackson_hurley

IncantatioN said:
New York. I used to hit up the local Kinokuniya before but I've been tied up with work and I traveled a bit in the last quarter of 2017 resulting in not being able to order a copy from em. I've been checking YJA to see if I can buy it but it's a bit of a hassle. So I'd rather buy from CDJapan and spend a little more for the convenience.

yeah pretty much what I do here. I don't really have any specialized place where I could order them from. So I got into the cdjapan ship to get my copies now that my budget allows me to buy the single issues. It's Worth my 20$ I'd say.

I can't believe it's already been a month since the last episode. I lost track of time. It was a nice surprise to check the forum and see that the new episode is coming soon! :guts: Thanks, y'all!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, damn, what a motherload.

The symbolism of having the memories of the Eclipse spiral down into a heart with thorns... Overpowering connection to the Brand and the Idea of Evil.

And then there's everything else! I'm surprised, and also kind of relieved, that Miura didn't dwell on the actual traumatic event –the rape– more than he did. I guess he did not want to make it the focus instead of the restoration process. I do find that panel of Farnese's eyes where she's "absorbing" it all to be pretty amazing (and appropriately sinister) though. And of course we do get to see that shot of Guts when he's pinned down. I'm a big fan of how Miura depicted Casca's breakdown too: literally being broken into pieces, reduced to that empty shell.

Not much to say about the struggle between the dog and the falcon (who cares, basically), but I liked how it all went away the moment they put the fragment back. I also liked that Farnese's own experience with her insecurities (lovely callback to her as a child under her blanket) helped convinced the Sprite to go for it. And her running to the Brand and opening it like a little door has got to be one of the cutest moments ever in the series. The symbolism of having the dog emerge from the darkness, himself being restored (notice his leg), and howl to announce the completion of the ritual is also very potent (helped by the light and cherry blossoms, which I guess also signify that they're being called back to the waking world).

jackson_hurley

Jesus fucking christ! Sorry my languauge but I'm at work and must contain my emotion. That one is a biiiig one. Going back again at it while waiting for your surprised comments!

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
jackson_hurley said:
Jesus fucking christ! Sorry my languauge but I'm at work and must contain my emotion. That one is a biiiig one. Going back again at it while waiting for your surprised comments!

No apologies needed my friend. Fucking goosebumps, man. Fucking goosebumps. What a terrific episode. Can't wait to actually read it.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Man, what an episode. The best visuals Miura has accomplished in years. Savor this moment, folks.

I'm already at my third time "reading it" (for obviously I can't actually read it but you get what I mean) Incredible beautifull visuals indeed.

These moments make me realize that I'm very very glad to follow this serie and how gratefull I am that it exist!

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Absolutely amazing and executed superbly (as if there was any doubt :slan:). This was everything I could have possibly hoped for.

I just can't believe it, after all these years, we're finally here. We're in a restored Casca era (with still so much healing left to be done, I'm sure). If someone were to start reading Berserk today, we could definitively tell them when/where in the story Casca's malady comes to an end, and that's just incredible to me.

Also, thank you to whoever spoiler tagged my post! I can't believe it slipped my mind!

That page where Casca opens her eyes, and we see they aren't huge, round, childish, and empty, but older, mature, and intelligent...

...I waited 14 years to see that page. It's so unreal to see it happen after such a long wait. But it was worth it. I can't imaging how grueling the wait must've been for those anticipating this moment longer, especially those who've been doing it the full 21 years, but for them, I hope it was worth it too.

And huge props to Farnese for staying calm amidst the attack by the Femto manifestation to gently goad the sprite back into her body. Casca wouldn't have made it far without you, and without you, she probably wouldn't have found it in herself to take this last step.

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been reading in silence for years all of your ideas, discussions, and of course the manga.

That being said, I'm speechless about this episode. So awesome.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
poirot said:
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been reading in silence for years all of your ideas, discussions, and of course the manga.

That being said, I'm speechless about this episode. So awesome.

Damn, what better time for your first post than on the
biggest event of the series so far?
Welcome! :guts:

It's truly a surreal feeling. I've pictured this episode in my mind so many times, but to say that I've experienced it is hard to believe. Looking back, I think the pacing for this entire dream sequence was very deliberate. The focus on Casca's experiences and recovery was clearly top priority - I'm grateful to Miura for not letting other characters' experiences take precedence. Even Farnese, who was definitely still growing and learning a lot from the ordeal, was focused entirely on her companion's recovery. The thorns around the heart and the double-helix were so sinister, and suggest that there's a lot of work left still to be done, but the brief glimpse at Casca's face at the end filled me with hope. It looks like we'll have our hands full for the remaining string of episodes (and the batch after that as well! :ganishka: ). But I'm so glad to say this: welcome back, Casca! :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Preliminary translation courtesy of Puella. Because it's based on the Korean text (the quality of which we can't vouch for), there might be inaccuracies.

Page 01

Farnese: That is the last fragment ...A monster?
Schierke: It’s like a baby.

Schierke: ...I don't know why the last fragment has such a shape.
Schierke: However, prepare yourself.
Farnese: What?

Schierke: When I was almost swallowed by the Berserk's armor before, I had a glimpse of...
Schierke: Guts' memories...
Schierke: I never wanted to see it again if possible but...

Schierke: What we’re going to witness now is
Schierke: Probably the feast of madness!
Schierke: Be alert!

Page 04

Farnese: This is what broke Casca down...
Schierke: The main culprit.

Page 05

Farnese: No!

Schierke: You shouldn't get swept up! Don’t lose yourself!

Farnese: It's flowing in...! Casca's scream!

Farnese: I can't express it in words...
Farnese: I feel like my mind is riven (torn into pieces)...!

Page 09

Farnese: This is...

Page 10

Schierke: ...The last fragment is the heart.
Farnese: Then once we put it back in the doll in the coffin...

Schierke: Wait...
Farnese: Hmm?

Farnese: What's wrong with you?

Schierke: This shape...
Schierke: It probably has a curse.

Farnese: A curse... an incantation.

Farnese: What do you mean?
Farnese: You mean if we put it back in the doll, something bad will happen?
Schierke: Then...

Schierke: ...I was careless, it's unlike me...
Schierke: Because restoring Casca’s sanity was on my mind, I forgot this...

Page 11

Schierke: If she keeps her sanity while having memories of such a horrible experience
Schierke: It will bring her an enormous pain that we can't imagine.
Schierke: ...Precisely speaking, she rather broke down because she couldn't endure it.

Skull Knight: What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.
Schierke: ...I guess this is what he implied.

Page 12

Schierke: Be careful!

Page 13

Farnese: Guts...!

Page 15

Farnese: But...!
Schierke: We'll have no more chances if we miss now!

Farnese: ...You're scared.

Farnese: Sometimes, even though you're aware of that you're in gloomy darkness, you just huddle and can't move.
Farnese: You don't know what to do by yourself...

Page 16

Farnese: ...So, as he did for me at that time
Farnese: This time I myself, of my own, will blow away your darkness.

Schierke: Farnese

Farnese: Because I don't want to think those days I've had on the journey with Casca and you, teacher, and them are meaningless.

Page 17

Schierke: ...I see. Because, from the beginning... this itself is the goal of the corridor of dreams... no, of our journey.

Schierke: Come on, hurry up! This nightmare will be over with it!

Page 20

Farnese: A door...?

Farnese: You will be surely able to meet him.

Top Bottom