Episode 355

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heiji said:
Its from me ;) so its true.

Nice, thanks for the info Heiji!

See, I told you guys not to always be so hasty to draw conclusions about the release schedule...

Aazealh said:

See, I told you guys not to always be so hasty to draw conclusions about the release schedule...

I’ve never been so happy to be wrong about something

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:

True. And didn't they say before the serie resumed in december that it was supposed to be each month now? I know we were "on guard" to not get our hopes too high in case it was just a mini stretch of a release. But maybe it's really going monthly. Either way it's a great news!

Thx for the heads up!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, great news considering how likely a break seemed. I'm delighted I'll get to see the next episode sooner rather than later, but I was actually just thinking on the way to work how a break was good timing for me with the baby coming. The next Skullcast should be my first as a father and maybe the last before I'm divorced for podcasting instead of taking care of my infant. :ganishka:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Aazealh said:

You've been on point a lot lately. :ganishka:

Griffith said:
Wow, great news considering how likely a break seemed. I'm delighted I'll get to see the next episode sooner rather than later:
I feel like your plea for the next episode "now now" was answered :ganishka:

Im super excited that its coming soon.

Theozilla said:
https://twitter.com/mangamagjapon/status/983598417732558848?s=21

Saw this linked tweet on Reddit saying Episode 356 will be in the April 27th YA issue. Can the veracity of the screen-shot in the second tweet be verified?

Thanks for the good news! :ubik:

YES!! This is the best news!! I thought Berserk was on Hiatus again :guts: . Since it's the first time Miura has done 5 episodes in a row in a long time, does that mean that he'll keep releasing a episode each month from now on? :???:

Keratos said:
YES!! This is the best news!! I thought Berserk was on Hiatus again :guts: . Since it's the first time Miura has done 5 episodes in a row in a long time, does that mean that he'll keep releasing a episode each month from now on? :???:

From what I've noticed, it looks like he's been releasing monthly for about 6 consecutive months for the past couple years, from November to April. So I assume this will be similar. But who knows? Maybe he'll keep the train going. Fingers crossed!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Very happy to have been proven wrong about 356's release! I just wish YA would get their shit together in terms of announcing the schedule of releases.

NCHaskew said:
From what I've noticed, it looks like he's been releasing monthly for about 6 consecutive months for the past couple years, from November to April.

Nope. The past two years have included 2 stints of 4 monthly releases. http://skullknight.net/images/eps.htm

Ive said so before, but I expect that Miura will finish out vol 40 by the end of the year, which means 2 more releases (357, 358) sometime before Dec. That would be consistent with the past two years of volume releases. It's even possible for him to release those through June, with a bound vol 40 arriving on shelves shortly after. That'd be ideal. But it would also mean that in order to keep that pace in 2019, he would have to release 8 episodes, which has not been done in close to a decade.

Either way, I feel pretty spoiled getting monthly Berserk for 5 months, with the potential of even more.

[quote author=Walter]
Either way, I feel pretty spoiled getting monthly Berserk for 5 months, with the potential of even more.
[/quote]
This kind of happiness feels so surreal...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Keratos said:
Since it's the first time Miura has done 5 episodes in a row in a long time, does that mean that he'll keep releasing a episode each month from now on? :???:

It hasn't been that long. Six episodes were released in a row in late 2015. Then we had four in a row in 2016, four in a row in 2017, and the current run.

Walter said:
But it would also mean that in order to keep that pace in 2019, he would have to release 8 episodes, which has not been done in over a decade.

Haha, you're exaggerating a bit, we got 9 episodes in 2010. :slan:

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
It's strage that in the Preview of YA there is no image of Berserk, and the Manga is only listed in written form.

First time since I follow the preview.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RaffoBaffo said:
It's strage that in the Preview of YA there is no image of Berserk, and the Manga is only listed in written form.

First time since I follow the preview.

It's not unheard of, I wouldn't worry.

Coming off my latest big re-read of Berserk I couldn’t be more excited for the future. I’d gotten a little sentimental in my last post, so I’ll spare you guys the reminisces this time. But I will say, GODDAMN what a great series. Looking back on everything, especially the point we’re on now, I do feel a certain nostalgia for the relative innocence of the Golden Age arc. It all seemed so simple then....

This was a another very satisfying episode. I’ve read it several times now, when it was first released, and again as I finished my re-read. We all have various theories for what will or will not happen next, and some are more plausible than others. But I haven’t been THIS excited in a long time.

So, what happens next? How will Casca react to Guts, to Griffith, etc etc. Will she blame Guts? Will she run back to Griffith? Will she leave and follow her own peregrinations? I don’t really see that happening, but G&C may need to go to couples counseling..... :sad: :???: :SK:

First, from ep. 354, we know exactly what’s going through Casca’s mind in this episode. We’ve seen the memories and the emotional associations. With each step she takes another piece of the puzzle is in place, in much the same order and manner as those shattered and broken pieces of the doll. It only makes sense to me that with her last step the last fragment (the eclipse) would show its teeth. But we know what this memory contains, and it does not associate Guts with Femto or the horrors of the festival. He was a victim the same as her, not the catalyst. In fact, it’s the loss of her comrades, the terror of the rape, and Guts’ struggle to save her. This trauma is what broke her mind to begin with, so this is not an unexpected reaction.

Following this train of thought is the complication of “Elaine.” The final piece of the puzzle is Elaine returning to the body of the doll. Throughout the dream she is terrified of Dog-Guts, running in fear at the sight of his snout. I would not at all be surprised if this fear manifests in Casca shortly after Guts reaches her. I see this as a complication, but not some insurmountable obstacle. All the issues and concerns that others have brought up in Guts’ treatment of her will have to be dealt with, I think it would be unsatisfying if they were ignored.

From this, I imagine she will continue having flashbacks, moments or horror and revulsion, but will lean on Guts as the only one who truly understands what it’s like living in a world they now find themselves in. I rather like the idea of Casca stripping off the armor Guts wears, it works both literally and figuratively, and would be a wonderful mirror to their first sparks of intimacy. Guts bears so many more scars for her now, I can imagine her feeling more than a little concerned/regretful that he put himself in harms way for her so many times. I don’t think intimacy will come easily either, as it’s clear from her nightmares that she does have loads of phallic trauma. I just hope Guts doesn’t find himself too eager to impress upon her just how deep his desire goes....

Guts will be overcome with emotion himself, and we’ll probably see the first tears shed by him in a while. I just hope he can finally see Casca smile again. :judo:

I’m just as interested to see how the new group dynamic works. Surely, if Isidro heard of the Hundred-Man Slayer, he also heard tales of The Hawks’ famous female captain?

But I wouldn’t be surprised if all the excitement is cut short by some sort of invasion. If Griffith/God Hand is going after all the Spirit Trees, Elfhelm wouldn’t be far on their list. Also, how aware do you think Griffith is of Casca’s restoration? The World of Dreams seems to be a plane the God Hand is not unfamiliar in walking. And with Griff being all or nearly omniscient now, surely he’d have some intuition of what’s going on there?

So nothing very revelatory in this here post. Just some thoughts that have probably been stated better elsewhere. Yet there’s so much more to discuss! To Wally, Griff, Cronus, et al who have mentioned all us old farts getting together, count me in! I’ve enjoyed the podcast, and would love to be a participant.

‘Til Next Time!

Faded

Your time is the most precious gift of all.
What I personally hope we will see in the short term moving forwards is Casca show off her kick ass warrior side on a mini side quest while Guts gets this astral wound dealt with by Danaan.

I don't know about you guys but Guts still carrying around what was described by Schierke as a very serious spiritual as well as physical wound doesn't sit well with me. He is truly on the brink physically and I would love to see Danaan work some magic on him (which will hypothetically take time), in the mean time Casca leads the rest of the gang to go do a short side quest to get an ingredient needed in the healing process (or something totally less lame). I think Guts will need to be at least somewhat healthy rather than wavering on the edge and relying on intervention from astral entities during some of the upcoming big inevitable battles. The Berserker armor is taking enough of a toll as it is, this astral wound is just a bit much for the struggler at this point methinks. :guts:

Knowing Berserk nothing like what I just described will happen though. Bah, all I really want to see is Casca split some dudes head in half with a sword like the good ol' days (seeing Isidro's reaction to Warrior Casca will be priceless) and I'm sure it won't be long until that happens, what ever direction the story goes in. :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Faded said:
I don't know about you guys but Guts still carrying around what was described by Schierke as a very serious spiritual as well as physical wound

There are two wounds. One on the chest, one on the back.

Top Bottom