Episode 355

I still can't get over how genius the use of Guts was in this episode. His portrayal really went beyond my expectations. Not showing his reaction or his emotions as he approaches Casca and focusing on her, while using him as a trigger for her to remember the memories she suppresed was a great move by Miura. I had high expectations for this occasion, but Miura definitely surpassed them.

Im also glad with the route that Miura chose for Casca when it came to her remembering her experiences as Elaine. The way she described her state of mind makes the dream world seem even more special.

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Well, so much was already said here, but I'd like to point out that I didn't expect Casca to talk and remember things so fast. Also, she actualy took the lead by greeting Farnese and Schierke and told them about her feelings by her own will. A touch of her sympathy we already know. It's refreshing to see her back as she is.

BiQ_

" ... "
I don't know about you guys but honestly, this episode has been everything I think of at any moment real life lets me think of something else beside work and home matters. I feel like I still haven't processed the fact that she's really, finally, back. And her happy-to-tears smile... :casca:

And, yes, the last pages are still haunting and painful. But they are also very real, and honestly, if it had been just a perfect reunion with all sappiness and sugar and kisses, it would have been ... cheap, considering all the things that still need to be addressed, so of course it wouldn't go that way... yet.

I'm already beginning to imagine what the vol 40 cover is going to look like...

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Menosgade said:
I'd like to point out that I didn't expect Casca to talk and remember things so fast. Also, she actualy took the lead by greeting Farnese and Schierke and told them about her feelings by her own will
Me neither, but she remembers her most recent life better than her old one apparently, and that helps move the dialogue forward. No "W-where am I? W-who are you?" She already knows. :casca:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Truder said:
Me neither, but she remembers her most recent life better than her old one apparently, and that helps move the dialogue forward. No "W-where am I? W-who are you?" She already knows. :casca:

I agree with your larger point about the effectiveness of her not being dazed or confused, though I wouldn't say that she remembers her recent life "better" than her old. It seems her memory of her old life is just fine up to a point, specifically until the trauma that left her unable to cope began, indicating it was blocked out specifically for that reason and wasn't just a coincidental hole in her memory.

I'm also curious to see if this extends to her time as "Elaine" as well, but it wasn't clear to me if she was recalling everything from then because the closest thing we see to something traumatic is the trolls and Guts protecting her from ghosts and zealots (which are only implied or firmly in the background), and, perhaps most glaringly, there's no post-Incarnation Griffith either. He naturally seems to be central to this blind spot, and thus why we see an overwhelming closeup of his destroyed body, and perhaps everything that became of him and her, as the revelation precipitating her scream.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
perhaps most glaringly, there's no post-Incarnation Griffith either. He naturally seems to be central to this blind spot, and thus why we see an overwhelming closeup of his destroyed body, and perhaps everything that became of him and her, as the revelation precipitating her scream.

You raise a good point here -- her experiences as Elaine were in her own words something she didn't "feel" or "think" through. It would be like watching it on TV, unable to react at the moment. We saw how Elaine reacted upon seeing Griffith, and because we have privileged information, we know that reaction on the Hill of Swords was the result of her sensing her child. But how would the real Casca have felt about that moment? Given its absence here it would make sense for the memory of that exchange to be tucked away as well. It would likely be a continuation of her trauma from the Eclipse, given how tainted her image of Griffith must be at this point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
DY7NsFqV4AAc2Vf.jpg

Walter was right on the money. Miura's comment is: She talks. The heroine talks for the first time in 22 years. (˚▽˚)

mahlernut said:
Or maybe that's all projection and it'll all be so much simpler than what's going to be happening with Casca and Guts that spending too much time on it will just detract.

No, I agree with you. I've said so many times before: I believe Casca's restoration will fundamentally alter the group dynamics, and everyone will be affected to some extent. Farnese most of all, of course, but not only. I think it's also time Serpico gets out of his funk, for example.

BiQ-- said:
I'm already beginning to imagine what the vol 40 cover is going to look like...

I for one would like it to be Casca in that dress. After so long, she deserves it.

Griffith said:
I'm also curious to see if this extends to her time as "Elaine" as well, but it wasn't clear to me if she was recalling everything from then

This is based on the Korean version, so I can't guarantee the accuracy, but she says her memories are vague around the time she fell asleep in a way that could mean she doesn't remember what happened immediately after (i.e. her giving birth). I think that's worth keeping in mind, in addition to Walter's excellent point just above.

Aazealh said:
No, I agree with you. I've said so many times before: I believe Casca's restoration will fundamentally alter the group dynamics, and everyone will be affected to some extent. Farnese most of all, of course, but not only. I think it's also time Serpico gets out of his funk, for example.

I had the same thought. There is plenty of room for Serpico to grow as a character with his emancipation from Farnese’s service as her protector. Casca has been in a similar position when she had devoted her life to being Griffith’s sword. Even though there situations were quite a bit different from one another, I think it would be really cool if Casca were to have a talk with Serpico about he value of finding something for one’s self rather than devoting one’s life to another ultimately played a part in kickstarting his next character arc (along with Farnese herself releasing him from her service of course). There is a lot of potential for a really cool relationship between Casca and Serpico.

I also really want there to be some sort of relationship between Casca and Isidro. Isidro is my favorite character in the series, and his development in Vrittanis was the peak of his character IMO. I loved how his childish view of the path of a swordsman was challenged by interactions with Mule, and his bearing witness to the duel between Guts and Serpico. His idealization of the life of a mercenary/swordsman will no doubt be challenged in the future, and I could definitely see Casca playing a part in helping him grow and deal with these things as he encounters them. Sort of like a big sister, or another role model alongside Guts.

Aazealh said:
I for one would like it to be Casca in that dress. After so long, she deserves it.

What if it’s a parallel cover to Volume 20? Only this time with a brighter aesthetic and Casca wearing her dress. Instead of holding the winged baby, she would be holding her heart covered in thorns. And instead of her eyes being closed, they are slightly open as if she were awakening from a sleep.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Archer1215 said:
What if it’s a parallel cover to Volume 20? Only this time with a brighter aesthetic and Casca wearing her dress. Instead of holding the winged baby, she would be holding her heart covered in thorns. And instead of her eyes being closed, they are slightly open as if she were awakening from a sleep.

Yeah the idea of a mirror cover crossed my mind. That'd be cool, although a new one would be neat as well.

This was touched on a bit, but one thing I'm unsure of is the nature of Casca's reaction to Guts. Is this going to have lasting implications on her attitude towards him, or was he merely a catalyst for the resurgence of her traumatic memories? I'm leaning towards this not really impacting their relationship at all, and this is merely Casca's true realization, similar to Guts' when he first awoke after the eclipse. I don't think Guts will be a source of her PTSD, but I think he will invoke feelings of deep sadness in her. That was one hell of a way to lose an arm and an eye, all while watching her rape. In any case, a lot of people in other forums and what not seem to think there will be some huge wall between them (or the usual ridiculous shenanigans of Casca returning to Griffith). I'm just not seeing Guts and his relation to the Eclipse as something that will get between them, at least not significantly.

As for the art, I honestly think Miura is always improving. Casca is beautiful (I love her dress and braids), the art is beautiful, and the manga just keeps getting better.

Griffith

Walter said:
Given its absence here it would make sense for the memory of that exchange to be tucked away as well. It would likely be a continuation of her trauma from the Eclipse, given how tainted her image of Griffith must be at this point.

That's what I'm thinking, that Casca didn't seem to know what became of Griffith (she had no reaction to saying his name), or couldn't process it, until right now. By that token, if that's the case her image of him wouldn't actually have been tainted until this moment, and that could create some sudden and very painful cognitive dissonance. She was on her way to saving her hero as if she were still the Casca from volume 10 and the next instant he's literally her worst monster. We'll see.

Aazealh said:
Walter was right on the money. Miura's comment is: She talks. The heroine talks for the first time in 22 years. (˚▽˚)

Miura: he's just like us! :ubik:

Deserves to be in an outfit she objected to!? :troll: The petals would be a cool parallel with Griffith's feathers on volume 21... then again, maybe not such a good thing right now! I'd like to see her in some new armor myself. The Dame of Skeleton!? :SK: *wishful thinking*

she says her memories are vague around the time she fell asleep in a way that could mean she doesn't remember what happened immediately after (i.e. her giving birth). I think that's worth keeping in mind, in addition to Walter's excellent point just above.

*cough*Griff'spointtoo*cough* Didn't she also say she was remembering more about her and Elaine's life as she approached Guts, or was that more like she was just actively thinking of it then (could be the same difference; not "lost," but not at the front of her mind). It'll be interesting to see what memories are revelations in the next episode, was it just the time around the Eclipse, or will we see all the bad stuff as Elaine too? If it's the former it'll give me hope that Guts was just the missing piece that brought everything back, mainly how monsterous Griffith is, and the big guy won't be caught up in a general "male betrayel" data dump in her brain. Ugh, there could be some ugly, unexplored stuff in there too, like a flashback of her locked up alone in the cave for months. Even Farnese could take a hit as well from her actions as leader of the HICKs, and/or her and Schierke now that she may better understand the extent and ramifications of what they've done. Basically, all the possibilities we've previously discussed and Miura deftly subverted.

Casca was so damn reasonable and understanding of everything at the outset though that, along with what we've observed about her memories, I'm feeling a lot better about the prospect of all this all coming back to and landing on Griffith sooner rather than later. Or maybe I selfishly want to see Guts and Casca embrace as soon as possible. :sad:

stein said:
I'm just not seeing Guts and his relation to the Eclipse as something that will get between them, at least not significantly.

I don't think she's going to hold the Eclipse against him either, even if he reminds her of it, but perhaps some of his questionable decisions and actions afterward. We'll hopefully know pretty quickly in the next episode if that's all something that's just flooding back or if she already knew but was ready to forgive him.

Griffith said:
I don't think she's going to hold the Eclipse against him either, even if he reminds her of it, but perhaps some of his questionable decisions afterward. We'll hopefully know pretty quickly in the next episode if that's all something that just came flooding back or if she already knew but was ready to forgive him for.

I suppose that depends on how she recalls those events. As a fellow eclipse survivor, if she is able to comprehend everything post eclipse with the big picture in mind I think she'll sympathize with much of the way Guts acted. However if she recalls events sporadically and without context I definitely could see there being issues. It's already a miracle that Guts was a functional (semi-functional) human-being after the eclipse.

Griffith

stein said:
I suppose that depends on how she recalls those events. As a fellow eclipse survivor, if she is able to comprehend everything post eclipse with the big picture in mind I think she'll sympathize with much of the way Guts acted. However if she recalls events sporadically and without context I definitely could see there being issues.

Context could go both ways too, like will Guts bad actions seem even worse in association with the memories of the Eclipse, etc all presented together at once, or as points on some trauma continuum. That shot of him at the center of the Eclipse wasn't a great omen.

It's already a miracle that Guts was a functional (semi-functional) human-being after the eclipse.

That could very well go for Casca now as well. I'll be curious to see if she has some level of detachment and perspective given how she's accesding this information after the fact... Or, if it's like it's happening to her all over again all at once. Again, the scream is a bad sign.

Griffith said:
Context could go both ways too, like will Guts bad actions seem even worse in association with the memories of the Eclipse, etc all presented together at once, or as points on some trauma continuum. That shot of him at the center of the Eclipse wasn't a great omen.

Indeed, it is certainly complex. I guess Miura could end up making Casca hate or fear Guts again due to those events...it's just that I don't see it lasting long, especially considering we've already dealt with that for years now from Elaine. I'm seeing bigger issues ahead for the group in the long run. I will say depicting him at the center of the Eclipse was curious. I see it more as the memories of the eclipse radiating out from Guts as a catalyst, rather than him being some big central evil or trauma for the whole affair. And honestly, I'd be surprised if Casca didn't react with some sort of scream or other traumatic response after comprehending those memories.

Griffith

stein said:
Indeed, it is certainly complex. I guess Miura could end up making Casca hate or fear Guts again due to those events...it's just that I don't see it lasting long, especially considering we've already dealt with that for years now from Elaine.

Yeah, I don't think she'll really fear or hate him either because she's rational now and knows he doesn't want to hurt her, but she could understandably be hurt or angry about it.

I will say depicting him at the center of the Eclipse was curious. I see it more as the memories of the eclipse radiating out from Guts as a catalyst, rather than him being some big central evil or trauma for the whole affair. And honestly, I'd be surprised if Casca didn't react with some sort of scream or other traumatic response after comprehending those memories.

Right, it's really about her and how she's going to feel post-Eclipse, like what Guts went through in his own way. So, despite being the catalyst, or just the last piece, I don't think poor Guts will end up at the center of this either, merely a big part of it, but hopefully due to his importance to her.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
I would've been pretty worried if Casca hadn't screamed, really - this is the first time she's been able to react to anything that's happened to her. She was pretty much unconscious by the time Griffith dropped her to the ground after he'd raped her, and it seems likely to me that she was already locked down by the time she woke up afterward. I mean, Guts woke up from the Eclipse only thinking about Casca as well. It took a little time...and the realization of what was left of her...before he started running and screaming and crying blood.

What I'm wondering is, will she get angry as the memories come back to her, or just collapse? She did the latter the first time, and not without good reason, but I'd like to see some of the former too. She used to kill the hell outta dudes for a living; her reaction to being attacked was to stab people through the face, or she'd never have survived. All the ceaseless exhaustion and general nightmarishness she suffered after Guts and Griffith both abandoned the the Band had worn her beyond ragged by the time the Eclipse started. It'd be nice to see some of the soldier in her again now that she's had a nice long rest.

If nothing else, if she goes on a marathon sprint like Guts did, Danan's dress is perfect for it, being split straight down the middle like it is. Not great if modesty's your thing, but a lot less impractical than the last dress Casca had to wear.

Griffith

mahlernut said:
What I'm wondering is, will she get angry as the memories come back to her, or just collapse? She did the latter the first time, and not without good reason, but I'd like to see some of the former too.

Hopefully the memories shouldn't hurt her the same way the physical events did, which I would think would be the mitigating distinction everything else being equal in her mind, otherwise this would be for nothing. Speaking of the "good reason" you mentioned though, something we now know that I thought about a lot during the corridor of dreams sequence, from how all that trauma was internalized inside her, was how badly Guts was affected by the wound inflicted by Slan, both physically and ethereally. Even when the wound was physically healed, it was still a part of him and would reopen, it went right to the core of his being. Now imagine that sort of damage and trauma but applied to what happened to Casca under the circumstances it did. Considering that, the fact that she survived at all might be the most fantastic feat of strength displayed in the whole series.

mahlernut said:
What I'm wondering is, will she get angry as the memories come back to her, or just collapse? She did the latter the first time, and not without good reason, but I'd like to see some of the former too. She used to kill the hell outta dudes for a living; her reaction to being attacked was to stab people through the face, or she'd never have survived. All the ceaseless exhaustion and general nightmarishness she suffered after Guts and Griffith both abandoned the the Band had worn her beyond ragged by the time the Eclipse started. It'd be nice to see some of the soldier in her again now that she's had a nice long rest.

I think it'd be cool for her processing to be similar to post-Eclipse Guts. Having a Casca-style Black Swordsman Arc, where she's feeling murderous and suppressing her feelings. But unlike Guts, she'll have a group to help her lower those walls right from the start. And Guts himself to warn her that running around with a murder-boner isn't the best way to deal with her problems. Well, not all her problems.

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Griffith said:
Considering that, the fact that she survived at all might be the most fantastic feat of strength displayed in the whole series.

Guts not having tendinites is also impressive :ubik:

NCHaskew said:
I think it'd be cool for her processing to be similar to post-Eclipse Guts. Having a Casca-style Black Swordsman Arc, where she's feeling murderous and suppressing her feelings. But unlike Guts, she'll have a group to help her lower those walls right from the start. And Guts himself to warn her that running around with a murder-boner isn't the best way to deal with her problems. Well, not all her problems.

I'd say it's more likely she goes other way. Two reasons you already mentioned - the group and Guts' own experiences. We have never seen Casca "going berserk". All the moments she was under heavy stress, she mostly keep it to herself. And Guts was usually the one who would trigger a reaction, a bad one. But, we never see her going on an insane charge like Guts did. Perhaps, after she learns how to deal with her pains and memories, we might see bitterness growing in her. Towards Femto and his actions, that is.

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Its a lil late for me to say this but I just noticed, where is Guts' white streak of hair? I'd be willing to say Miura deliberately obfuscated his appearance like a silhouette this episode to emphasize Casca's own perspective from afar (not knowing or seeing any of his scars and white hair until the next episode when her reaction to his new appearance is revealed, such as how his cape/cloak hides his metal arm) but his hair is also black on the cover for Vol 39 so now I'm not sure. It would be a strange mistake considering he worked on the guidebook around the same time which does feature the white streak on its cover, sorry for me rambling on about such a small detail (above all else Im just glad to see Casca back) but consistency matters a lot to me.

Edit: Someone on the Berserk reddit theorizes that the way Guts is depicted here is simply showing how Casca remembers him until they're up close (i.e. Golden Age Guts from a distance, Fantasia Arc Guts up close whose scarred body reminds her of the eclipse and Griffith's mangled body, makes sense) but that still doesn't explain the cover to me.

Griffith

We've got plot armor and head canon back to back here! :ganishka: :schierke:

I, uh, kind if object to both, even jokingly. Casca's not really in any mortal danger at the moment, far less than usual (plus her character has obviously been silent for 22 years, so that's some shit "armor").

As for the hair, Guts clearly got special elf hair dye for men while Casca was being treated! :carcus: I can actually see why Miura wouldn't highlight it here because Guts' face is somewhat shaded and it's sort of an odd thing to contrast when he's partially silhouetted anyway (I guess it could be dark gray). Or, he just forgot like on the cover! He'd been drawing him a certain way for 30 years and hadn't drawn him like that in 6 episodes (if that even matters), so I wonder if he regrets making that change or if he was maybe bored when he did (obviously it has more bearing on Guts than aesthetics, but that's what we're talking about). I guess we'll find out if Guts hair gets cured before they go, but my guess would be it gets whiter before it gets darker for plot purposes. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Right, it's really about her and how she's going to feel post-Eclipse, like what Guts went through in his own way. So, despite being the catalyst, or just the last piece, I don't think poor Guts will end up at the center of this either, merely a big part of it, but hopefully due to his importance to her.

It's too soon to say, but I think the way Guts was used in this episode as the trigger for her darkest memories could end up just being a role in this scene alone, not as a burdening reminder of those times. This episode was about her coming to terms with her past, and the worst parts all flooded back at once upon seeing Guts. Now those memories are back. But that could really be it.

mahlernut said:
It'd be nice to see some of the soldier in her again now that she's had a nice long rest.

*Casca is sprinting through the forest of Elfhelm.*
*A brownie sweeping the floor gets in her way.*
*He doesn't last long.*

Menosgade said:
we never see her going on an insane charge like Guts did.

I dunno, she charged Guts blindly and ended up stabbing him in Vol 9. Did that count?

NCHaskew said:
Having a Casca-style Black Swordsman Arc, where she's feeling murderous and suppressing her feelings. But unlike Guts, she'll have a group to help her lower those walls right from the start.

Right and Casca is a completely different person from Guts. Already, trauma affected them differently. I don't see any reason they'd be faced with the exact same stumbling blocks when coping with it.

MrFlibble said:
Confirmed plot armour, we can all relax. :iva:

Uhhh, were there serious discussions about Casca dying after all the labor and time involved in bringing her back...?

Lord Leith said:
Edit: Someone on the Berserk reddit theorizes that the way Guts is depicted here is simply showing how Casca remembers him until they're up close (i.e. Golden Age Guts from a distance, Fantasia Arc Guts up close whose scarred body reminds her of the eclipse and Griffith's mangled body, makes sense) but that still doesn't explain the cover to me.

That idea is really misguided, too. Guts is wearing the Berserk Armor, has the Dragon Slayer. So much for seeing past Guts! It's a convoluted notion someone cooked up while trying to figure out why they can't quite see Guts' white streak (it's in shadow, like half of his head). And by page 2 of 356, that guy's going to feel pretty stupid. ("oh the hair was white all along? yeah well who cares"). Miura doesn't pull twists like that. If he wanted to go that route, it would have been Guts in Golden Age gear to accentuate what's happening. Otherwise this bizarre effect would be lost in confusion.

Griffith

Walter said:
Uhhh, were there serious discussions about Casca dying after all the labor and time involved in bringing her back...?

She's gonna go running to her true love Griffith so he can reject and finish her off once and for all! This is the harsh reality of the no holds barred manga murderpiece BERZERK, bro! Sorry Casca, you gettin' B'ZERKED!

Walter said:
It's too soon to say, but I think the way Guts was used in this episode as the trigger for her darkest memories could end up just being a role in this scene alone, not as a burdening reminder of those times. This episode was about her coming to terms with her past, and the worst parts all flooded back at once upon seeing Guts. Now those memories are back. But that could really be it.

That's my hope as well, and would mean we could actually see Guts helping and them reconciling immediately. I would understand the choice if Miura deemed it necessary and I'm sure it would be effective and all the more rewarding in the end, but I really dont require anymore extended estrangement between these two! Miura is clearly aware of the time passed as well and it would be consistent with how he's been getting right to the point with Casca's return and reintegration if she's still able to accept Guts after this (she's already besties with Schierke and Farnese, her first girlfriends, hope it wasn't a tease =). Best case scenario: they embrace into a crumpled puddle of tears on the floor together. :judo:

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Walter said:
That idea is really misguided, too. Guts is wearing the Berserk Armor, has the Dragon Slayer. So much for seeing past Guts! It's a convoluted notion someone cooked up while trying to figure out why they can't quite see Guts' white streak (it's in shadow, like half of his head). And by page 2 of 356, that guy's going to feel pretty stupid. ("oh the hair was white all along? yeah well who cares"). Miura doesn't pull twists like that. If he wanted to go that route, it would have been Guts in Golden Age gear to accentuate what's happening. Otherwise this bizarre effect would be lost in confusion.

You're taking it too literally lol, obviously Guts isn't dressed like he was in the Golden Age or exactly the same but that's not the point, its more so that physically all the key signifiers of post eclipse Guts are absent (i.e. his eyes aren't shown, the white streak is absent, his scars and metal arm are hidden) in the mind's eye of Casca since thats how she last remembers him in the Golden Age (which is why I said her perspective from afar, we as readers obviously know he's not the same and Casca upon closer inspection can see the differences as well, its not unrealistic however that from a distance she'd see him how she last remembered him), difference of weaponry and armour/clothing notwithstanding.

For what its worth, even her bubbled memories as Elaine show that she remembers his new armour and sword but his face along with other key post eclipse features are turned away from her except for his metal arm. The only example we have of her specifically reflecting on his face and body (again armour notwithstanding) are from the Bonfire of Dreams and their time together making love, maybe she does remember how he currently looks and Miura simply picked these for emphasis but its all pretty vague as of now.

Anyways, this still doesn't explain the cover, care to explain that?

Top Bottom