Episode 355

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Lord Leith said:
You're taking it too literally lol, obviously Guts isn't dressed like he was in the Golden Age or exactly the same, its more so that physically all the key signifiers of post eclipse Guts are absent (i.e. his eyes aren't shown, the white streak is absent, his scars and metal arm are hidden) in the mind's eye of Casca since thats how she last remembers him (which is why I said her perspective from afar, we as readers obviously know he's not the same), difference of armour/clothing notwithstanding.

I think he was taking that theory to its illogical extreme to point out its a reach to say that's why the white hair isn't visible. Guts is being de-emphasized and obscured for a number of reasons including how different he'll look up close, but making it about and focusing on the hair is little silly.

Anyways, this still doesn't explain the cover, care to explain that?

The cover must be from Casca's deluded point of view! :troll:

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Griffith said:
The cover must be from Casca's deluded point of view! :troll:

:ganishka: Okay despite the fact that I'd like an actual reason from somebody, I have to give it to ya, thats really funny haha

I won't continue rambling on about his hair or anything since it ultimately is pretty trivial but like I said I do take consistency seriously so Im a bit in disbelief at the notion that Miura would've given him black hair on the volume cover as a simple mistake, especially since he was also working on the guidebook where that mistake isn't present.

I apologize for sidetracking the thread here, Im aware that it was discussed before in the thread for Vol 39, its just that this episode's portrayal of Guts reminded me of said cover, which up until now I never analyzed too closely.

Griffith

Lord Leith said:
:ganishka: Okay despite the fact that I'd like an actual reason from somebody, I have to give it to ya, thats really funny haha

I won't continue rambling on about his hair or anything since it ultimately is pretty trivial but like I said I do take consistency seriously so Im a bit in disbelief at the notion that Miura would've given him black hair on the volume cover as a simple mistake, especially since he was also working on the guidebook where that mistake isn't present.

Well, if it was something he did all the time it wouldn't just be a mistake, and like I said, it's been 30 years! I mean, Miura and his poor scapegoated assistants are drawing a metric ton of shit and a lot of detail in it on a schedule, so there's going to be some inconsistencies akin to visual typos (and sometimes they even get corrected or redrawn in the volume releases, among other additions and changes). I mean, if the hair thing is bugging you must be aware of Casca's disappearing/reappearing boots from episode 189, yes!? Oh, it'll drive you nuts! :ganishka: How about Guts' infidelity with a freakin' Apostle in the first pages back when Casca was likely just a twinkle in Miura's eye? Think that'll be an issue in their reconciliation? "I was using my wedding tackle to set a trap, baby, I had to wait until their guard was down!" (I'm guessing it won't actually come up =). But yeah, 30 years of material and relatively few inconsistencies, but they are there and ultimately we just have to accept them. Embrace and enjoy the wabi-sabi of Berserk! :guts: :miura: <(I meant to do that!)

Griffith said:
That's my hope as well, and would mean we could actually see Guts helping and them reconciling immediately. I would understand the choice if Miura deemed it necessary and I'm sure it would be effective and all the more rewarding in the end, but I really dont require anymore extended estrangement between these two! [...] Best case scenario: they embrace into a crumpled puddle of tears on the floor together. :judo:
Best case scenario needs to happen at some point, and will be the greatest, most tearful catharsis of all time :judo:
tbh, though, I feel like the most sensitive and mature thing Guts can do in this situation is to let Casca dictate the pace of their reunion herself. I think experience has taught Guts that rushing over to comfort her in his arms will probably backfire. A major part of his character growth in the past several volumes has been learning to accept that not all problems are best solved by rushing in and tackling things headlong by himself. I expect him to demonstrate that growth here, by staying back and waiting for Casca to approach him, possibly after the ladies have helped calm her down.

This is what makes Guts such a real, relateable, and beautiful character to me: He may be an indomitable badass in a fight, but he doesn't really know how to deal with real human emotions, be they his or anyone else's. We probably all know people like this in real life, who cope with every kind of problem by blindly assaulting it, expecting to triumph by sheer force of will. My favourite moments of the series are almost all about Guts maturing into his own emotional vulnerability, and I hope/expect the next chapter (or another soon after that) will be one of those moments.

(Sidenote: even if he tries to rush in, Danan will probably stop him. Who knows, maybe she already warned him to be careful in her telepathic summons)

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Griffith said:
Well, if it was something he did all the time it wouldn't just be a mistake, and like I said, it's been 30 years! I mean, Miura and his poor scapegoated assistants are drawing a metric ton of shit and a lot of detail in it on a schedule, so there's going to be some inconsistencies akin to visual typos (and sometimes they even get corrected or redrawn in the volume releases, among other additions and changes).

But yeah, 30 years of material and relatively few inconsistencies, but they are there and ultimately we just have to accept them. Embrace and enjoy the wabi-sabi of Berserk! :guts: :miura: <(I meant to do that!)

Oh without a doubt! Miura is human after all so I'm sure its not beyond him or an assistant to make a mistake like that, it just seems like such a simple one (colouring) that I would never foresee it actually happening. Thankfully I never did notice Casca's boots, currently Im only at Vol 10 with my rereading so it'll take me a while to get back there but I'm sure it will bug me hahaha :ganishka: but of course none of this is enough to stop my enjoyment of Berserk.

If it were any other series I'd expect more mistakes like this so its a testament to how amazing Berserk's quality is that lil things like this end up surprising me, its one of the closest things to a perfect piece of art (in regards to visuals and storytelling) in my opinion so my standards for it may be unfairly high. This episode being a perfect example of that, I haven't really expressed my opinion on it yet so I might as well.

Guts and Casca's chemistry and tumultuous love story has always been one of, if not my absolute favorite aspect of Berserk's plot. I love how the story progressed in spite of her losing her sanity and agency throughout the years and enjoyed arcs like Conviction or Millennium Falcon just as much as the Golden Age (in some ways, I've enjoyed them even more) but with that said, due to her state of mind I always looked back on the Golden Age fondly (like most fans) in a way that distinguishes it from the rest of the series.

The way this episode started, with Casca immediately greeting the others demonstrated said agency that she's been lacking, it reminds me of when Guts and Casca kissed and how it was she who leaned in first to kiss him, it made me so happy and yet also feel surreal to know that this is actually happening, I always knew it would but I expected to wait many more years and I feel blessed to have this moment now.

Her new dress did strike me as odd (albeit beautiful of course) considering her character but seeing her object to it added onto that nostalgia, further reminding me that this isn't Elaine anymore (a woman so oblivious that she needed help getting dressed, let alone being able to judge clothes for herself) but truly the warrior we've missed for 22 years...or personally in my case, approx 8 years.

All of this build up, both leading up to this episode and within it had me so excited but like you said Griff, it was almost as if Miura had rolled out a red carpet only to then pull it from under our feet, I suspected that it was too good to be true but I was still not ready to see Casca scream upon seeing Guts, only the future will let us know for sure what that reaction fully entails but as of now, it was both an amazing and surreal experience.

Miura as always pulled through and delivered us another monumental episode, Im enjoying the moment for what it is but with one of my favorite aspects of the series coming back to the forefront I cant help but be even more excited than usual for what the future has in store for us.

The scene in which Casca sees Guts approaching her, in full armor, the sword on his back... Man, it's so full of detail we could talk about it all day. Could the Sovereign have given him instructions to present himself like that on purpose?
Also I like how Miura handles Guts. Seemingly emotionless, tall, stoic, like a symbol that represents a man who isn't who he once was. Since Casca's mind shutted off, Guts has changed, darkened even more. If Guts presents himself like this, he's approaching the situation straightforwardly, not trying to deny her what he'll always be: a Berserker.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
After all these years since Gut's gave Griffith that look of, "I am done with you for the time being", to get on the boat. We have an awakened Casca. I won't be a broken record on the visuals but just bask in all the wonderful things that this episode has brought. :ubik:

This episode was phenomenal and full of surprises, typical of Miura :carcus:. Casca remembering herself as elaine and the rest of her monologue was well handled, her beautiful dress etc...and the art did the talking for you. This entire portion of the story was very well executed, not that there were any doubts. Such an anticipated moment must be a huge burden off Miura's shoulders, the story just keeps getting more and more exciting. It's crazy to think that after every episode, the fans think of ten different scenarios of what will happen next, but Miura does something really different, and it's always better :ganishka:. Can't wait to read the episode in its full glory when the digital issue comes out. Volume 40 easily best fantasia volume :badbone:

That image hits right in the feels. I had to take a break before continuing from there...

It's just so good to have her back.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
w00t said:
That image hits right in the feels. I had to take a break before continuing from there...

Thanks! Yeah, it's the emotional core of the episode for sure. I don't have the skill to color it, but I'm sure there are others who can do it justice.

I'm also kind of bothered by how Casca's face looks more like a child's face now than it did during the previous two or three arcs, especially the panel where she first wakes up, and the the first page of this chapter. Hopefully Miura fixes it somewhat for the volume. But other than that, amazing and gorgeous chapter. Cant believe we actually reached this point, I just recently found out I was seven years old when Casca became insanse. Somehow I imagined the Eclipse happened like ten years ago or something, not 21. o_O

And this is probably what many are thinking, but I'm guessing that if or when Guts and Casca will try to make love again, it will parallell their first sex scene with Casca being the one freaking out this time. Obviously Guts will have to be a lot more tender this time around... :p

Griffith

Keiko said:
I'm also kind of bothered by how Casca's face looks more like a child's face now than it did during the previous two or three arcs, especially the panel where she first wakes up, and the the first page of this chapter. Hopefully Miura fixes it somewhat for the volume.

I don't think she looks like more a child, particularly any more than she does in your avatar for example. She just looks more like her old self, which makes sense for us to think she looks younger because that was a while ago to say the least. And really, she's still a young woman now, so whether we thought Casca looked more mature or not in any given part or panel is highly variable and subjective, just like Guts (who sometimes can look anywhere between the 20-something he's technically supposed to be and a fuckin' 40 year old man =).

Griffith said:
I don't think she looks like more a child, particularly any more than she does in your avatar for example. She just looks more like her old self, which makes sense for us to think she looks younger because that was a while ago to say the least. And really, she's still a young woman now, so whether we thought Casca looked more mature or not in any given part or panel is highly variable and subjective, just like Guts (who sometimes can look anywhere between the 20-something he's technically supposed to be and a fuckin' 40 year old man =).

That does bring up an interesting question for me: does anyone know how long this quest for Casca's sanity has been going on within the story? If I remember correctly, Guts is like 21 during the Black Swordsman Arc, and I think the latest guidebook says he's 24 now?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NCHaskew said:
That does bring up an interesting question for me: does anyone know how long this quest for Casca's sanity has been going on within the story? If I remember correctly, Guts is like 21 during the Black Swordsman Arc, and I think the latest guidebook says he's 24 now?

He was officially 21 by the time we see him in Lost Children. There hasn't been an official count of the years since then, aside from what Miura wrote in his answer to our 2009 interview (3-4 years since golden age), which would make Guts 23-24.

Walter said:
He was officially 21 by the time we see him in Lost Children. There hasn't been an official count of the years since then, aside from what Miura wrote in his answer to our 2009 interview (3-4 years since golden age), which would make Guts 23-24.

Seems like only around half a year since the beginning of Conviction. Conviction goes from autumn to winter and Milennium Falcon is winter to spring.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
Seems like only around half a year since the beginning of Conviction. Conviction goes from autumn to winter and Milennium Falcon is winter to spring.

Even with a scrupulous inventory of perceived season changes throughout that period, I think that's a really short amount of time for everything that occurs in Conviction, Millennium Falcon and now Fantasia..

There's also the boy to consider. I don't think Miura arbitrarily chose the age of that child, and he's definitely not 2.5 years old. More like 3-4, I'd wager.

Sareth said:
If you’re curious about the nitty-gritty details regarding the Berserk timeline, Walter compiled a pretty easy to read list of all the stated instances of the passage of time in the series from an old thread I started discussing said topic: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=15216.msg245078#msg245078

Griffith

Cronus said:
Wow. A phenomenal episode and moment in this story.
Any ideas on who/what the 'faint voice' could be that she references?

Whoa! A phenomenal occasion indeed, I'm loving all the major cameos and callbacks in this thread (it is like S3 =). I must take the opportunity to converse with you about Berserk...

My guess is it's simply what remained of her, holding on so she could possibly see Guts again and/or her child.

Or, as some of hypothesized, take another run at Griff now that he's shown some mutual interest! :troll:

I made the same connection given that S3 is fresh in my mind, but this...is glorious.

Again, I gotta credit Eluvei for the idea. BTW, there's also some obvious Elaine/Dougie parallels in hindsight. Lynch would be so impressed with Miura for making us wait 22 goddamned years; I just hope Casca isn't in some fucked up semi-catatonic state for the next 16 episodes! :ganishka:

Griffith said:
I don't think she looks like more a child, particularly any more than she does in your avatar for example.

Well, I can't help but see a difference. For comparison:

(Sorry if the images are huge, they were tiny on my pc but still became this way here.)

Anyway, I'm not saying she looks bad, not at all. I just personally liked her look a tad more in the previous arcs, that's all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cronus said:
Wow. A phenomenal episode and moment in this story.

Indeed, good to see you again dude :guts:

The "there's someone I want to see" line came from Elaine a few episodes ago, so it would make sense that Casca is sensing an echo of Elaine's wish.

We've gone back and forth across that time about whether it's Guts or her child that she wants to see. I think Casca, who hasn't yet grappled with being a mother, may think that it's Guts, but I'm still guessing it's the child given Elaine's connection with him.

Griffith

Keiko said:
Well, I can't help but see a difference. For comparison:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/love_ookami/0354-0191_zpsjannb44c.jpg http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/love_ookami/ff5ddd4c00bc63f6bef5052d2a2a0544edca14dd_hq1_zpsmghr2m46.jpg http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/love_ookami/0355-0011_zpsdfpk9aft.jpg http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/love_ookami/d38728619972e5b3d7acba47f99bd2bb1_zpsmzlpbgwp.jpg

(Sorry if the images are huge, they were tiny on my pc but still became this way here.)

Anyway, I'm not saying she looks bad, not at all. I just personally liked her look a tad more in the previous arcs, that's all.

Right, and I was just pointing out I don't think depiction of age is a factor, just that the styles are obviously as different from each other as they are to the Golden Age and YMMV on how old/young you think that makes the characters look. As much as I like MF's attempts at a more photorealistic style (the first examples that come to mind are from Griffith's incarnation, actually) I'm also digging the throwback vibe on awake Casca. Really, I thought by midway through the episode we were seeing a pretty good mix of styles and techniques to convey something different in each panel, and I really dug the closeup on her profile as she's considering those old memories of the Falcons.

Walter said:
The "there's someone I want to see" line came from Elaine a few episodes ago, so it would make sense that Casca is sensing an echo of Elaine's wish.

We've gone back and forth across that time about whether it's Guts or her child that she wants to see. I think Casca, who hasn't yet grappled with being a mother, may think that it's Guts, but I'm still guessing it's the child given Elaine's connection with him.

It's cool to think that Elaine's driving force as it existed separate from Casca was an instinctual search for her child, since she was the one that gave birth depending on how distinctly we want to consider them (in retrospect it's like she had her own little arc/journey... that was cut short, should we be sad for "Elaine?" =). I wonder if that feeling will translate seamlessly to Casca once she remembers or if it's something she's going to have to come to grips with from a more intellectual place, like she's learning she has a kid out there for the first time (not a situation a woman usually has the opportunity to experience =).

Finally got my copy! Damn, it is so satisfying having such a large copy--where's my large-size omnibus, Dark Horse? Gotta say, not something to read in public though :farnese: little awkward to just be casually reading through a "girly mag."

Top Bottom