Episode 357

Nice!
So guys, quick question: how much of the main story and events do you think Miura is leaving to his imagination nowadays compared to, for example, ten years ago? Now that the story is so advanced in time, one would think that he's now at a big pivotal point in which not much is susceptible to change and all must be the way it's intended in his mind, plot-wise. But we're talking about Miura, so every detail could easily have come from inspiration, instead of his own previous planification of the plot throughout the years. How much would you guys say it is?

http://www.younganimal.com/magazine/next.html
R3szkrf.jpg

DarkAdin said:
Nice!
So guys, quick question: how much of the main story and events do you think Miura is leaving to his imagination nowadays compared to, for example, ten years ago? Now that the story is so advanced in time, one would think that he's now at a big pivotal point in which not much is susceptible to change and all must be the way it's intended in his mind, plot-wise. But we're talking about Miura, so every detail could easily have come from inspiration, instead of his own previous planification of the plot throughout the years. How much would you guys say it is?

I imagine he has the general plot in mind and connects the dots as he goes. He doesn't seem like the make up as he goes along type. Given his past interviews, and his tendency to plant plot threads decades in advance.

DarkAdin said:
Nice!

I think nowadays its much more different compared to back then to the Golden age days. He probably plans certrain big plot points years ahead, while making general stuff up as he goes on, but its all speculation

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
As expected. I'm eager to see where the story will go.

Me too! Can't wait to see where Grif and the gang will go next. (I think it's safe to assume that it'll still be a Griffith pov right?).

Oh I'm getting excited early!

I'm trying to guess what could happen next but nothing comes to mind. I guess I'll be blown away as usual when the episode will out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DarkAdin said:
Nice!

As you probably know, Miura is very modest when it comes to his planning. He has said a few times that he doesn't plan things in specifics very far in advance. From a 2000 interview: (not translated by SKnet members)"When you’re working hard on something, sometimes you just hit upon the right thing and it all starts falling into place. I myself am someone not very good at planning, but when you stop and think about the manga you’ve already made, I think you’ll find that there was some sort of reason behind it"

That being said, as you mention, Miura's no longer at the point where he can continue writing blank checks for the story. He's already well underway with delivering on promises made early in the series (Falconia being one of the biggest, Casca's restoration being another). So sure, I would guess that he gives himself a wide berth in HOW to achieve such things, but the bullet points of the story beats are probably known pretty far in advance.

jackson_hurley said:
Me too! Can't wait to see where Grif and the gang will go next. (I think it's safe to assume that it'll still be a Griffith pov right?).

Oh I'm getting excited early!

I'm trying to guess what could happen next but nothing comes to mind. I guess I'll be blown away as usual when the episode will out.

I expect the conclusion to the Jötunn battle, with context around the nature of this campaign, perhaps setting the stage for a more substantial conflict with astral creatures.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
I expect the conclusion to the Jötunn battle, with context around the nature of this campaign, perhaps setting the stage for a more substantial conflict with astral creatures.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm excited about. The last episode got me hungry to know a bit more about what the heck is happening on the mainland etc. I would not mind a few episodes from that pov. Such an exciting time to be a fan!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
For some reason, I just have a gut feeling that a member of the God Hand is going to show up during this switch to Griffith's POV. Miura always has something exciting planned whenever a POV shifts in the series, and I can't wait to see what he has in store for us this time.

jackson_hurley

Rhombaad said:
For some reason, I just have a gut feeling that a member of the God Hand is going to show up during this switch to Griffith's POV. Miura always has something exciting planned whenever a POV shifts in the series, and I can't wait to see what he has in store for us this time.

I know! And this is kinda driving me nuts trying to guess what is gonna happen. Well of course this is my own problem for being to "impatient". haha

But I do have to agree that seeing a member of the God Hand would be interesting. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have this vague feeling that Miura said in an interview that we might see them soon. (he never explicitely said more about that and like I said I don't remember from where exactly I heard that, so if I'm mistaken I'll just remove that part of my post, I don't want to spread misinformation after all)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
For some reason, I just have a gut feeling that a member of the God Hand is going to show up during this switch to Griffith's POV.

You're probably remembering the chatter a few months back in 356(1), when people were grasping at straws for what the "hidden danger" was (it ended up being the hydra, of course).

jackson_hurley said:
But I do have to agree that seeing a member of the God Hand would be interesting. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have this vague feeling that Miura said in an interview that we might see them soon. (he never explicitely said more about that and like I said I don't remember from where exactly I heard that, so if I'm mistaken I'll jsut remove that part of my post)

He said back in 2012 that maybe we'd see what they were up to "soon." It was far from definitive though. He was playing along with the interviewer's obviously frothing anticipation. It certainly made for a memorable moment for us, but that was 6 years ago...

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
He said back in 2012 that maybe we'd see what they were up to "soon." It was far from definitive though. He was playing along with the interviewer's obviously frothing anticipation. It certainly made for a memorable moment for us, but that was 6 years ago...

Aah that's it! But I think you know when it comes to these things, 6 years ago is almost like yesterday. haha. Time sure goes fast. Thank you Walter, I knew I've read that somewhere but could not pinpoint when exactly.

Walter said:
Wow, people then thought that maybe the "King of the Flower Storm" will tell Guts the stories of the GodHand members, in 2012, that was a pretty good theory.. Now.. Hmm i don't know.. I mean, it COULD happen you never know! :slan: Also what i got from this small "interview" is that Miura is trying to end the series (which is also shown now, cause of the smaller hiatuses and the HUGE events like Casca getting her memories back) Also Miura said that he will explain the stories of the GodHand members (Someday) which for a long time i thought that maybe he wants to keep them secret or something, or maybe that "Their Stories will remain a mystery" or something. And yeah i know that this interview is a bit old, but... 6 years ain't too much for berserk, i mean in 2012 the story was still in the Sea God arc... So maaaybe he still thinks the same.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Keratos said:
Also what i got from this small "interview" is that Miura is trying to end the series (which is also shown now, cause of the smaller hiatuses and the HUGE events like Casca getting her memories back)

I don't think you should make any conclusions from that little chat. You could just as easily call that "story progress," not an intention to end the series. Also, it may feel different because the breaks are scattered differently through the year (concentrated instead of spaced out), but so far we're still getting about the same annual release pace as we've had since 2014: 4-6 eps per year.

i mean in 2012 the story was still in the Sea God arc...

That wasn't an arc. :femto:

Walter said:
I don't think you should make any conclusions from that little chat. You could just as easily call that "story progress," not an intention to end the series. Also, it may feel different because the breaks are scattered differently through the year (concentrated instead of spaced out), but so far we're still getting about the same annual release pace as we've had since 2014: 4-6 eps per year.

Hmm i see, i hope that after the August Episode, there will be no hiatus for a bit, we have gotten 5 episodes this year (till now) and maybe if he continues after the next episode we can get like 10 episodes this year! (which sounds kinda impossible, but also a bit possible at the same time)

Walter said:
That wasn't an arc. :femto:

Ohh yeah sorry, i get them confused sometimes :ganishka: The "Arcs" are the "Golden Age" "Conviction", "Fantasia" etc right? Then episodes are what are called "chapters" in other mangas, sooo... how are the sea god and such called? Chapters right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Keratos said:
Hmm i see, i hope that after the August Episode, there will be no hiatus for a bit, we have gotten 5 episodes this year (till now) and maybe if he continues after the next episode we can get like 10 episodes this year! (which sounds kinda impossible, but also a bit possible at the same time

Unlikely. If a glut of releases were coming, Hakusensha (Berserk's publisher) would have no reason to push Vol 40 out with a measly 7 episodes inside it. That's 1 less than vol 39, and 4 less than Berserk during its prime release years. Still, the new volume's release doesn't preclude 358 (or god forbid 357(2) ) from hitting in September.

Keratos said:
Ohh yeah sorry, i get them confused sometimes :ganishka: The "Arcs" are the "Golden Age" "Conviction", "Fantasia" etc right? Then episodes are what are called "chapters" in other mangas, sooo... how are the sea god and such called? Chapters right?
There is no sea god chapter or arc. That's a portion of the Elf Island Chapter, which is within the Fantasia Arc. You can see the full list of everything here: http://skullknight.net/manga/

From the encyclopedia:
An episode refers to the ~20 pg sequences published semi-monthly in Young Animal. A Volume contains 10-11 episodes. A Chapter can contain from less than one to several volumes ( ex: "Chapter of Lost Children," "Chapter of the Binding Chain," "Chapter of the Birth Festival"). Finally, an Arc encompasses several chapters, and marks a definite period, or story arc in the manga.

Walter said:
Unlikely. If a glut of releases were coming, Hakusensha (Berserk's publisher) would have no reason to push Vol 40 out with a measly 7 episodes inside it. That's 1 less than vol 39, and 4 less than Berserk during its prime release years. Still, the new volume's release doesn't preclude 358 (or god forbid 357(2) ) from hitting in September.
So.. you are telling me that.. because Volume 40 comes out on September 27th, there is a (Slight) possibility that we might get episode 358 (or 357 part 2) on September 21st? (Which is Friday iirc). I mean it would be less that a week before the Volume comes out so i doubt it.. damn. Anyways, we'll get an episode in like 15 days so Yaaay. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Keratos said:
So.. you are telling me that.. because Volume 40 comes out on September 27th, there is a (Slight) possibility that we might get episode 358 (or 357 part 2) on September 21st? (Which is Friday iirc). I mean it would be less that a week before the Volume comes out so i doubt it.. damn.

No, one has nothing to do with the other. I'm simply saying that it's possible we'll get another episode next month, even if it won't be included with Volume 40. Both would be released the same day, Sept 28 (the fourth Friday of the month). However, it's unlikely for vol 40 to include anything that came out that day, just like vol 39 didn't include Ep 351 even though they were both out on the same day (June 23, 2017).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
As expected. I'm eager to see where the story will go.

Hopefully back to Guts and Casca, amirite!? :guts: I'll see myself out. :farnese:

Kidding aside, I am curious what Miura has in store for Griffith since I'm assuming this brief reintroduction to his side of things is going to jump-off into some more world and end game building. Actually, I'd love for Griffith to really take center stage for once. That might sound silly since it can feel like half the story is focused on his side of things, but it's usually from the perspective of those around him. We rarely, if ever, get Griffith's unvarnished thoughts, feelings, or point of view directly (though we can infer he wasn't pleased with Rickert =). He's very much kept at a distance from us in that regard, obviously with that distant feeling in mind, but it would be wonderful to see an exception to that before it pays off in the end, even for a little while or for something of relatively lesser consequence (Griffith conquering the beasts of the Fantastic frontier). Of course, that could still equate to volumes worth of trolls, ogres, giants, and whatnot, so I'm ready to be patient and enjoy the ride, permitting a few harmless jokes along the way.

Can't wait for Griffith vs. TRoLL LoRD!
:griffnotevil:=[==>:troll: <("Ouch, eye didn't see that coming!")

Best news all week! I'm really happy that berserk is back on this month. I wonder what will make guts and company to leave the island. As it's been mentioned here before, guts and casca's son might be a huge driver for casca agreeing to go along with the crew. I wonder if we will get some segue from Falconia on the full moon where Griffith will turn into the moonlight boy and go to elfhelm or something else. We could also see skullknight at elfhelm, hasn't it been 10 years or so since he has been in the manga (not in flashback)? But we will likely seen the end of the Giant/Hydra battle and the reasons behind the effort. Regardless, I am super pumped for the episode and the podcast!!!

Top Bottom