Episode 357

Keratos said:
Yeah finally, I just hope it's not another Griffith battle episode. :sad:
Well prepare to be disappointed, it's a Griffith episode. Or else the flow of the manga would be very strange and the cutaway to Griffith would be quite pointless

Nothingwillbewong said:
Well prepare to be disappointed, it's a Griffith episode. Or else the flow of the manga would be very strange and the cutaway to Griffith would be quite pointless
Ohh, i think that i didn't use the right words... I know that it will be a Griffith episode and i have no problem with that, i just want the fight to be over so that we can see Griffith talk and probably find out more about his plans.

Keratos said:
Ohh, i think that i didn't use the right words... I know that it will be a Griffith episode and i have no problem with that, i just want the fight to be over so that we can see Griffith talk and probably find out more about his plans.

That's likely, the highlights of the battle are over. The least that will probably happen now is the war demons will mop up survivng giants.

Some spoilers from episode 357.

- Griffith and the Band of the Falcon defeat gigants easily.
- They return to Falconia through a totem archs/doors or something like that (it's like japanese toris but made of stone).
- Griffith congratulates Sonia for her job in the battle with gigants.
- No date for next episode.

As expected, it looks like we will be getting the aftermath to the battle against the Jotunn with the Falcons making their return to Falconia.

1. Wicked spread of Griffith Zodd, and Grunbeld after their defeat of the Jotunn. They almost look like a superhero team. :serpico:

2. Looks like Griffith will perform another one of his rituals for the soldiers who fell during the battle.

3. The Falcons appear to be traveling back to Falconia via the branches of the World Spiral Tree. Not unlike the Moonlight Boy did the last time we saw him. Could this be another hint that Griffith and the Boy are one and the same? Either way, this is the most interesting thing about the new episode so far. It opens up the possibility of the Falcons using the branches to reach Skellig, and could also potentially provide a new means of travel for Guts and the party other than another ride on the Seahorse. :slan:

4. Griffith appearing to congratulate Sonia on her assistance during the battle. I love their interactions and the genuine fondness Griffith seems to impart on her.

5. And we're back to Falconia. If we don't learn the context behind this recent battle in this episode, we surely will soon. And Griffith and Charlotte's wedding may be looming close. From there, the coronation. And from there? Who can say?

Griffith said:
Fast travel unlocked. :griffnotevil:

Indeed.
This actually opens up so many possibilities where travel may have been a barrier. The biggest one perhaps being how Griffith and the Falcons could have reached Skellig. Whereas before it may have seemed a bit impractical for them to march and sail all the way to the island in a world that is already overwrought with violent astral creatures, now they could reasonably go there whenever they wanted, without much effort and with minimal travel time.

Of course, that's putting the cart before the horse as we don't really have a clearly defined motivation for such an attack. But it is an interesting possibility.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Archer1215 said:
This actually opens up so many possibilities where travel may have been a barrier. The biggest one perhaps being how Griffith and the Falcons could have reached Skellig. Whereas before it may have seemed a bit impractical for them to march and sail all the way to the island in a world that is already overwrought with violent astral creatures, now they could reasonably go there whenever they wanted, without much effort and with minimal travel time.

Of course, that's putting the cart before the horse as we don't really have a clearly defined motivation for such an attack. But it does further open up the possibility.

I think it'll be more likely to be the other way. I'd see Guts and co using that means to get to Griffith or Rickert. Something in the like.

Griffith said:

Well at least it makes sense comparatively to another show... :slan:

Not back to waiting for the entire episode.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Archer1215 said:
Indeed.
This actually opens up so many possibilities where travel may have been a barrier. The biggest one perhaps being how Griffith and the Falcons could have reached Skellig. Whereas before it may have seemed a bit impractical for them to march and sail all the way to the island in a world that is already overwrought with violent astral creatures, now they could reasonably go there whenever they wanted, and without much effort and with minimal travel time.

Of course, that's putting the cart before the horse as we don't really have a clearly defined motivation for such an attack. But it does open up the possibility.

Considering that a number of Griff's crew could at least fly, and potentially transport others quickly that way, I think it holds the biggest potential for Guts' side since before they'd have to take volumes traveling by ship and even then finding a way through the wilderness of Fantasia to somehow bypass Falconia's layers of defenses... now they could potentially just appear in Griffith's tree trunk throne room! :guts: Granted, that's just potential, whereas Griffith now already has license to show up anywhere, anytime. He could already be in Skellig when we shift back there! "Hey Casca, what's up, wanna return to my side and be my sword and stuff?" :griffnotevil: :???:
gutsbarf.gif
:rickert:

Griffith said:
Considering that a number of Griff's crew could at least fly, and potentially transport others quickly that way, I think it holds the biggest potential for Guts' side since before they'd have to take volumes traveling by ship and even then finding a way through the wilderness of Fantasia to somehow bypass Falconia's layers of defenses... now they could potentially just appear in Griffith's tree trunk throne room! :guts: Granted, that's just potential, whereas Griffith now already has license to show up anywhere, anytime now.

Definitely. This opens up quite a few possibilities for the direction of the story. Means of travel and travel time could potentially no longer be a barrier for future plot developments. As far as Guts' side of things is concerned, at one point I considered the possibility of the group sailing the Seahorse across the branches of the World Spiral Tree as their next means of travel post-Skellig. Would be an interesting spectacle at the very least, and would allow Roderick to bring the Seahorse with him.

There isn't any real basis for that happening, but I think it would be pretty cool. :griffnotevil:

Griffith

Archer1215 said:
Definitely. This opens up quite a few possibilities for the direction of the story. Means of travel and travel time could potentially no longer be a barrier for future plot developments. As far as Guts' side of things is concerned, at one point I considered the possibility of the group sailing the Seahorse across the branches of the World Spiral Tree as their next means of travel post-Skellig. Would be an interesting spectacle at the very least, and would allow Roderick to bring the Seahorse with him.

There isn't any real basis for that happening, but I think it would be pretty cool. :griffnotevil:

Cool idea indeed! :guts: I mean it's magic so if you can ride your cavalry through a big astral tree branch why not a ship? BTW, this obviously opens up the possibility we ARE shifting back already too if this was indeed the point (could start a new thread in Falconia, coronation, wedding, etc but doesn't necesarially have to continue now). Also, despite this technically being true with every latest episode, it's really never felt closer to the "end game" than now. Miura has pretty much written himself in-canon God powers to move the chess pieces anywhere he wants on the board in an instant. He could credibly start the "final confrontation" at any time now, though I'm guessing his version of rushing it would still be like 10+ volumes instead of 30+ more. :ganishka:

I even want to believe that's why the release of these recent episode(s) was so orthodox, preparing for bigger things ahead, moving heaven and earth behind the scenes, "I'm not slowing down... I'm just RAMPING UP!" :miura: But again, that might be wishful thinking. :griffnotevil:

Griffith said:

Elfhelm on red alert, wicker men on standby. :puck:

As others have said, this revelation solves a lot of logistical problems Griffith may face. E.g how does one send an invasion force through a world inhabited by powerful monsters to Elfhelm. And how can Griffith expand Falconia's borders without spreading his war demons thin, now we discover he can launch attacks to practically anywhere. We may even see what has become of Vritannis.

Griffith

MrFlibble said:
Elfhelm on red altert, wicker men on standby. :puck:

As others have said, this revelation solves a lot of logistical problems Griffith may face. E.g how does one send an invasion force through a world inhabited by powerful monsters to Elfhelm. And how can Griffith expand Falconia's borders without spreading his war demons thin, now we discover he can launch attacks to practically anywhere. We may even see what has become of Vritannis.

Man, we're taking that Elfhelm invasion for granted! It is an irresistibly juicy idea that makes sense, has precedent, and would also setup Guts and co's departure nicely, even their own use of the branches to "follow" Griffith back to the mainland, if not to Falconia. Still, we're getting ahead of ourselves, and the gang already knows someone that can traverse the branches (which is who truly revealed this, so it was just a matter of time before you-know-who used it too, but now we know others can as well), not to mention a friend that might have an even faster method... :badbone: <("Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.")

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Archer1215 said:
The Falcons

Sorry for being pedantic, but there is only one Falcon. The Band of the Falcon is named that way because it is being led by the White Falcon, now also known as the prophecized Falcon of Light.

Archer1215 said:
appear to be traveling back to Falconia via the branches of the World Spiral Tree. Not unlike the Moonlight Boy did the last time we saw him. Could this be another hint that Griffith and the Boy are one and the same?

Not necessarily, unless we're told only Griffith can initiate this kind of travel. We don't really need more "hints" at this point anyway. Just a final reveal. =)

Archer1215 said:
could also potentially provide a new means of travel for Guts and the party other than another ride on the Seahorse.

I don't think this fundamentally changes the possibilities for story progression. Honestly it was always a given that we weren't going to see a lengthy return trip to the mainland. Either time would pass off screen as they traveled by sea, or they would take advantage of the Skull Knight's beherit sword technique to get back instantly. Traveling using the World Spiral Tree is a third possibility, and although it was actually introduced a while back with the Moonlight Boy, I concur that this episode increases its likeliness.

Griffith said:
Man, we're taking that Elfhelm invasion for granted! It is an irresistibly juicy idea that makes sense, has precedent, and would also setup Guts and co's departure nicely, even their own use of the branches to "follow" Griffith back to the mainland, if not to Falconia. Still, we're getting ahead of ourselves

Getting ahead of yourself indeed. :iva:

I've never subscribed to the idea that apostles could just fly to Elfhelm, seems like an impossibly long journey even by air. That being said, we've known from the beginning (i.e. 15 years ago) that Guts would not remain in Elfhelm forever. So it's always been a matter of when, how and why he would leave. And as they arrived on Skellig, the island's anomalous temporality made it clear the clock was ticking (terrible pun intended). Even so, as far as I can remember we've always expected that an outside force would provide an additional impetus. In that regard an apostle attack is indeed a nice juicy possibility, although I would argue it'd feel like a repeat of what happened at Flora's. So I guess I'm actually hoping for something different, despite the fact I trust Miura would keep it fresh and absolutely badass even if it was "just" Grunbeld vs Guts round 2 (I sure want to see Grunbeld get what he deserves, whenever that'll be). Regardless of what will actually occur and provoke a crisis, what I would like is for Guts and friends to overcome it and then still decide to leave with a deliberate objective in mind, as opposed to being forced to escape in the nick of time.

P.S. The episode title is "Triumphant return at dawn".
Note: Miura uses a specific word for "dawn" that implies the moon is still visible in the sky.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Getting ahead of yourself indeed. :iva:

Game over, man! Berserk is as good as DONE now! Griffith FTW (I knew it :slan:)!

Aazealh said:
I've never subscribed to the idea that apostles could just fly to Elfhelm, seems like an impossibly long journey even by air.

But air travel is the fastest! And we know at least one Apostle can reach supersonic... oh yeah. It is funny that the Apostles flapping their wings and shit might actually be significantly slower than a trip by ship, and maybe they consume so much energy they'd get tired and crash after like three hours. Plus Griff already had to spend hours just standing on Zodd's hand making no conversation and vice versa; how awkward. Apostles, the worst way to fly. =)

Aazealh said:
In that regard an apostle attack is indeed a nice juicy possibility, although I would argue it'd feel like a repeat of what happened at Flora's. So I guess I'm actually hoping for something different, despite the fact I trust Miura would keep it fresh and absolutely badass even if it was "just" Grunbeld vs Guts round 2 (I sure want to see Grunbeld get what he deserves, whenever that'll be). Regardless of what will actually occur and provoke a crisis, what I would like is for Guts and friends to overcome it and then still decide to leave with a deliberate objective in mind, as opposed to being forced to escape in the nick of time.

That's why I kind of like the idea of bypassing a crisis or attack altogether and Guts' party independently just deciding to use the branches to go back themselves via the precedent provided by Griffith here, rather than it being foreshadowing of his own nefarious use. It'd also be weird pacing if they switch back to Guts/Casca soon and then Griffith comes in slow clapping right after establishing this so recently, "Oh shit, Griff can do THIS now btw! Whew..." :miura:

If there is an immediate goal here though it could be we'll see Griffith get some intel that sets him in motion and makes for quite a direct segue. I don't know, your guess is as good as probably better than mine. My selfish desire is we just go right back to Guts/Casca for a while with this planted in the back of our minds, but I'd "settle" for some really deep, creepy God Hand action like Griffith contacting Void via his secret chamber at the base of the tree, "The promised time has come." :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
But air travel is the fastest! And we know at least one Apostle can reach supersonic... oh yeah. It is funny that the Apostles flapping their wings and shit might actually be significantly slower than a trip by ship, and maybe they consume so much energy they'd get tired and crash after like three hours. Plus Griff already had to spend hours just standing on Zodd's hand making no conversation and vice versa; how awkward. Apostles, the worst way to fly. =)

Haha yeah it just seems goofy to me when put in practice. Worst trip ever. :void:

Griffith said:
That's why I kind of like the idea of bypassing a crisis or attack altogether and Guts' party independently just deciding to use the branches to go back themselves via the precedent provided by Griffith here, rather than it being foreshadowing of his own nefarious use.

Yeah, I mean I do think Miura has some crisis planned, but I honestly wouldn't mind at all if it wasn't the case. Just the group regrouping (boy I'm on fire today) and choosing to go confront Griffith for both personal and altruistic reasons, because they must and only they can attempt it. A properly epic "final mission" set up. :badbone:

Griffith said:
If there is an immediate goal here though it could be we'll see Griffith get some intel that sets him in motion and makes for quite a direct segue. I don't know, your guess is as good as probably better than mine. My selfish desire is we just go right back to Guts/Casca for a while with this planted in the back of our minds, but I'd "settle" for some really deep, creepy God Hand action like Griffith contacting Void via his secret chamber at the base of the tree, "The promised time has come." :void:

Both are quite plausible options, although I favor your second hypothesis. I think we're on the verge of some pretty big stuff (on both sides), and I'd like to get a glimpse of what the big bad guys are up to.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
As usual, it's hard to glean much from a few pages, but some of the soldiers appear surprised by this mode of transport. Which begs the question of how they got there initially. I suppose it's possible a ground-based campaign was already underway when Griffith arrived with the apostles (via the branches) and routed the giants.

For Griffith himself to be able to use this kind of transport shouldn't be surprising to us (after all, if the boy can do it, why not him?), but to find a way to allow his comrades to do it as well -- that's pretty surprising! The ending leaves it up in the air where we go from here. More Falconia would make just as much sense as ending this perspective (even though that'd be QUITE brief at just 2 eps).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Very inventive of Miura to use a Stonehenge-like structure for this kind of ethereal travel. I like it!

Aazealh said:
Very inventive of Miura to use a Stonehenge-like structure for this kind of ethereal travel. I like it!

Yes! It's a pretty cool idea, maybe the fight itself happened just for The Band of the Falcon to "Unlock" this path that happened to be in the Giant's territory.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
It's crazy how the world seems even more fantasy like in the series. Miura will never cease to amaze me with his artwork and story telling.

Pretty interesting indeed like Aaz said about the use of stonehedge like structure a some kind of doorway to get to the branch. Neat stuff.

Top Bottom