Episode 359

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, this is Miura being a perfectionist as usual. He probably went back and looked over his old drawings when reproducing these panels. He played around with perspective similarly when drawing Casca's memories. Here are some of them I put side by side for reference, in case some people didn't notice.

It's a given he used his past artwork as a reference, would be impossible otherwise.

P.S. The images don't contain any spoilers, I just used a spoiler tag to not take up all the space on the page.

That's the best way to use that tag really. For small amounts of text, the inline spoiler tag (checkerboard flag) is preferable.

It's a given he used his past artwork as a reference, would be impossible otherwise.
Yeah, that "probably" wasn't necessary, it's somewhat of a bad diction habit for me and sometimes I use it without much thought. I added that line just to emphasize the fact that he precisely and deliberately reproduced those moments in raport to how he drew Casca, which is neat.

Last edited:

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Yeah, this is Miura being a perfectionist as usual. He probably went back and looked over his old drawings when reproducing these panels. He played around with perspective similarly when drawing Casca's memories. Here are some of them I put side by side for reference, in case some people didn't notice.

P.S. The images don't contain any spoilers, I just used a spoiler tag to not take up all the space on the page.

Oh my God I did not even notice this. This takes Miura's details to a whole new level for me lol

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A really color page. Its rare, no?

Actually this one isn't new, like Gobotula said. It's one of the mini-posters included in volume 27, and it's been featured in YA a few times before. It's interesting that they would reuse it here as the first page of the episode though.

I don't have much time as I am unfortunately very busy today (it had GOT to be fucking today of all days, of course :mozgus:), but a few thoughts on what Heiji posted: Lovely that Danan is the one cutting Casca's hair! Great to see Isidro reminisce about the time he saved Casca during the Conviction arc, because people rarely remember to give him credit for all he did. He's basically the one that saved her again and again during that time. And perfect that it's a starting point for dealing with Farnese's feelings about this, which feels like the completion of her journey to redemption. And of course it's great to see that shot of Luka and the girls too!

Also love that Isidro's eyeing out the sword like this. It's interesting and I think a great choice that Casca would demonstrate her fighting prowess to the group without Guts watching. I like the ancient norse armor designs as well, very cool. The ornemental axe is a nice design in particular. Of course the question is going to be how Casca will fare against these guys. I think it'd be the perfect opportunity to wow the group with her fighting ability, so they know this is the real deal. Can't wait to read the full thing!

This person on instagram just posted the full episode in low quality pictures. They apparently had a friend in Japan who got an early copy of this week’s Young Animal and sent them pictures. It’s in three parts

BiQ_

" ... "
On the other hand, I am happy - well, happy isn't really the right word but ... you know what I mean, I think - that she isn't just magically healed, since trauma like this should be healed with herself as the cognizant agent for it to mean something. On the other hand, Skull Knight's appearance and what we know from Miura's interviews few months back probably means they are not going to get much time for that.

Also, I'm diverting a bit but I really think it should matter: What about Guts' wounds? I mean the astral wound by Slan and those berserker armor effects on his body? Why is he still wearing the armor right now? Has it already eaten into him so much he can't even stand up without it?

Also, I'm diverting a bit but I really think it should matter: What about Guts' wounds? I mean the astral wound by Slan and those berserker armor effects on his body? Why is he still wearing the armor right now? Has it already eaten into him so much he can't even stand up without it?

About, the armor, i'm pretty sure he doesn't care too much about the effects of the armor, since he knows that he needs it in order to be able to fight against the top apostles of Griffith. You never know when they could ambush them out of nowhere.

Now, about his wounds, i'm pretty sure they'll talk about them later, maybe Danan will be able to help him. For now, their top priority is Casca.

Is that really the whole chapter though? At the very least there should've been that large frame of casca with the sword. The number of the pages is very low too.

edit. nevermind, i didn't see Theozilla's post.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Suits of ancient armour, wickermen and elven swords. Why does Elfhelm have such a large arsenal?

That's not from Elfhelm, it's the magicians of Skellig who keep these. And as we've been told, they're "taboo", or at least the Wickerman was. As for their actual origin, it's not too hard to guess. It must be tied to the creation of that community back in ancient times (Gaiseric's time, and a chaotic time similar to Fantasia). As I speculated back when we first saw the Wickerman, it gives us an insight into how humans dealt with such a world back then, and to how they dealt with each other too. I believe it will play a key role in explaining the conflict between mankind-led-by-the-God-Hand and the astral world in the future. I've been frustrating Walter for months because I have a big post about this stuff that I started after 358 and still haven't finished. Will try to get it done.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just a reminder for those interested in grabbing the official release (~$4), it'll be live on hakusensha-e's site in about 4 hours. Don't know how to buy an ep? I made a video walking through the steps.

Lots going on in this ep. Without a summary or text translation, it's premature to weigh in lucidly on most things, including my feelings of Guts and Casca. I still wish we got to see those first moments after the scream. As much as it pains me, I feel like I needed to see his face (speaking of which, Miura's been obscuring that in most instances for 2 eps now). That being said, Isidro and his enthusiasm over Casca's abilities was a highlight of course. As was seeing the ancient armor. It's almost like seeing THE flashback we've been expecting all this time come to life on the page, if only for a few panels. Still, all this badass Casca action ... It's really like she's forcing her way back to normal, when she's still far from it.

The timing of SK's arrival is also perfect, now that Casca is not only restored, but they've had enough face time for Guts to see what that new reality means. "I told you!"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
On the other hand, I am happy - well, happy isn't really the right word but ... you know what I mean, I think - that she isn't just magically healed, since trauma like this should be healed with herself as the cognizant agent for it to mean something.

Personally I wasn't worried. Given the time it's taken to get here, it was assured IMHO that Miura would give it the proper weight. Like I said earlier in the thread, the whole idea is that it's going to be a long-term problem with which to deal, not something that'll be fixed within 3 episodes. That feels appropriate to me.

Another aspect that I feel is important is the fact she can rely on the group. They kinda know her and she kinda knows them. They don't really know each other intellectually, but the feelings are there, if that makes sense. That's important because it furthers underlines how necessary the group has been, is, and will keep being in the future.

The other side of that coin is that in this episode it feels like Guts is cast aside and presented as an outsider. It's a very novel feeling and not very pleasant. He's excluding himself because his presence makes Casca go into shock. I'm really curious to see how that will play out. I feel like Guts might consider to remove himself from the equation, to leave Casca, whom he loves, with he group he's created around her. To do all that for her own good, which would be not unlike Casca's line of thoughts when she was confronted with Griffith's condition all the way back then. She wanted to leave with Guts, but couldn't abandon Griffith, and yet she also didn't want Guts to abandon his own dreams and ambitions on her behalf. That heart-breaking dilemma never saw a conclusion (I don't think Guts would have left, for what it's worth), and I think it might play out backwards this time. Guts might be tempted to strike it on his own, and it's his friends and of course Casca herself who will need to grab him back.

It would also be for him, obviously, a return to "The Black Swordsman", and a renewed temptation of going for blind revenge, but with added sorrow. And one thing I wonder is if he might not need to shed the Black Swordsman look and identity as a result of all that. Because that's what seems to be associated with Casca's trauma, and that's not ALL of what Guts is. It's just "an image", as Miura would say. I'm rambling but I think t here's a strong thematic stake going on here. Of course on the other hand, we all love the Black Swordsman and it would be hard not to disappoint fans with such a major change.

Now of course this is ignoring outside influences, but there's the matter of the God Hand (and the threat they represent to the world), the Moonlight Boy (who I still expect will show up by night time) and so on. These things will almost certainly precipitate everybody's decisions and resolves and force them to deal with their inner problems while dealing with other, more "actiony" problems, which is why we love Berserk.

On the other hand, Skull Knight's appearance and what we know from Miura's interviews few months back probably means they are not going to get much time for that.

Haha, see what I said above I guess. That aside, I've said it before but I expect the Skull Knight will be giving us a lot of info this time around. It's going to be THE BIG ONE, guys. Get ready.

These are also topics that need to be addressed of course. There are a bunch of very different ways it could go, but yeah basically we know there's going to be a price to pay, and Guts hasn't been preserving himself at all here. I expect he'll have to rely on the group (and Casca) more at some point, in a kind of reversal of their past situation that might provide a step (first? middle?) towards the resolution of Casca's troubles.

Walter said:
I still wish we got to see those first moments after the scream. As much as it pains me, I feel like I needed to see his face (speaking of which, Miura's been obscuring that in most instances for 2 eps now).

Well the cut to Griffith's side was definitely in part so we wouldn't see the immediate aftermath of it. I think there's a good reason for it, and I don't think it's too late to get Guts' perspective, maybe when he's alone and reflecting. Also, we do get to see his face in this episode and well... It's pretty tough, man.

Random thing but it would be a nice touch if Puck was the first one to go see him as he's going alone. A callback to the old days, and it would be nice if Puck was like "I told I'd stick by you, didn't I?". One can hope.

Walter said:
It's almost like seeing THE flashback we've been expecting all this time come to life on the page, if only for a few panels.

Dude it's absolutely coming. I don't think the armors are foreshadowing it or anything, but I've always said that SK in Elfhelm would be the time, and it's now. I can feel it in mah bones! :badbone:

Walter said:
Still, all this badass Casca action ... It's really like she's forcing her way back to normal, when she's still far from it.

Aww, give the old gal a break, she's just stretching her legs! :casca:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I love everything about this episode so far!
just seeing Casca swing a sword again is a dream come true. And as much as I would have loved to have a quiet tender moment between her and Guts upon her restoration, the PTSD attacks are quite compelling.

I think these next few episodes are going to be some of the best in the series, and I can't wait to see how everything unfolds.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
An episode full of intensely mixed emotions. As a long time fan, it was surreal seeing some of these interactions unfold, but this episode was also filled with such bittersweetness! You can really feel Guts's conflict here. After so much travel, pain and uncertainty, I'm sure there's nothing he'd like to do more than look at Casca and talk with her, but he can't even do that much right now!

I agree that Guts will almost certainly pull away from the group now that his goal is accomplished, but I think Casca will have something to say about that. Overall, I was really excited by how Casca is jumping back into things. Even without being able to understand the dialogue, Casca's expressions and actions suggest to me that she's eager to return to her old self. I don't think I was alone in assuming that Casca would be in a darker place after the scream, but she seems to be moving quickly in a positive direction.

As a sidenote... was not predicting the return to her old hairstyle! I guess my stylish bob guess is out of the running!

Top Bottom