Episode 360

With: "End of the journey" i think he refers about Casca's. He warned him that Her desire could have been different from him's. So i believe that when Miura returns SK will talk about something that will trigger Guts and they leave Elfheim. Only thing that make me doubt is the new spells teaching, maybe they follow Guts while Casca stay safe there? Well it's good to wonder what will happen since i think there will be no chapters at least for half year lol
What do you think?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
With: "End of the journey" i think he refers about Casca's.

He definitely means the journey to Elfhelm, which has been Guts' group's journey since vol 22, and of course, that journey was given additional purpose when SK said the Sovereign could restore Casca's mind.

i believe that when Miura returns SK will talk about something that will trigger Guts and they leave Elfheim.

It's actually Elfhelm, not Elfheim. A common mistake I see a lot. And it's only natural for the story to start revealing the next horizon, but it doesn't have to be just words from SK. It will likely arise from a series of events that will motivate the group (not just Guts) to leave for the continent.

Only thing that make me doubt is the new spells teaching, maybe they follow Guts while Casca stay safe there?

Agreed, I mentioned it on the podcast, but the introduction of new, specialized magic lessons seems to imply they'll be staying a bit longer. But just how long...? Who knows.

Beelzebud

[...] Into the abyss will I run [...]
But just how long...? Who knows.

Talking about it, any bet about how long the time will pass faster outside the island? Or maybe some clues of that?

Thinking on General theory of relativity, and the behavior of the forest(or it's the entire island?) of having less barytes makes that local a lighter gravitational field?

I know that magic doesn't need a scientific explanation, but Miura are a very intelligent guy, and he can mix science with magic, something like a half scientific explanation.

What do you guys think about it?

Ps: maybe this isn't the right place for that discussion, if so, just tell me please

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Talking about it, any bet about how long the time will pass faster outside the island? Or maybe some clues of that?
Thinking on General theory of relativity, and the behavior of the forest(or it's the entire island?) of having less barytes makes that local a lighter gravitational field?
I know that magic doesn't need a scientific explanation, but Miura are a very intelligent guy, and he can mix science with magic, something like a half scientific explanation.

Impossible to say, but keep in mind that it might not be linear. It could be very slight at first, with the distortion increasing the longer one stays. Also, no I don't think Miura will try to tie it to the general theory of relativity.

Beelzebud

Also, no I don't think Miura will try to tie it to the general theory of relativity.

So maybe the fact that this place "have less gravity"** :daiba: it's just a random fact that will not affect generally the explanation of that magic place? Maybe I'm overestimating that fact, but will surely impact the things that will be happen on Elfhelm, whether they logical(dialogues and explanations) or physical(an eminent combat)

Sorry if i'm exaggerating, i'm a little hyped :magni:

**(just a for situating i will use gravity, but i'm talking about the fact of less barytes and taking for example when Isidro 'Flew' on episode 346)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So maybe the fact that this place "have less gravity"** :daiba: it's just a random fact that will not affect generally the explanation of that magic place? Maybe I'm overestimating that fact, but will surely impact the things that will be happen on Elfhelm, whether they logical(dialogues and explanations) or physical(an eminent combat)

Son, you're trying to school me on Barytes? Cute.

I believe Barytes (introduced in episode 346) may be the cosmological element behind the human-based power that the God Hand and the apostles use. It's described as being the element of weight, much tinier than the other four (too small to be seen with the naked eye) and being a sort of binding element for them. It make things heavy, but also darken the skies, causes gloominess or leads to obsessions. This is probably the most speculative part of this post, but I think it's possible that when people are filled with obsessive or negative emotions, Barytes become trapped and concentrated within the human soul. That would be a rational explanation for the "evil power" the bad guys use. And it may also have led to the Vortex's specific shape. Lastly, it's something that is antithetical to elves. Everything checks out.

Beelzebud

Son, you're trying to school me on Barytes? Cute.
Hahahaha, no, of course no.

I understand what Barytes exactly is, on that post you quoted. I follow this forum for a long time, but just now i have become an 'active' user because i understand many things of Berserk because of you and many others old user and staffs(thanks, by the way).

What i don't understand(maybe nobody) is how Barytes affect an ecosystem in general. For exemple, we know that Elfhelm has a lower concentration of it than on the outside world, and we know that because of it things get lighter, but we don't know exactly how that lower concentration on a large area affect all the ecosystem, because of that i think the 'lower gravity' and the shortening of time are both related to the Barytes (lower gravity it's a certainty, but the time-shortening no)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
What i don't understand(maybe nobody) is how Barytes affect an ecosystem in general. For exemple, we know that Elfhelm has a lower concentration of it than on the outside world, and we know that because of it things get lighter, but we don't know exactly how that lower concentration on a large area affect all the ecosystem, because of that i think the 'lower gravity' and the shortening of time are both related to the Barytes (lower gravity it's a certainty, but the time-shortening no)

Alright so let me explain how time dilation works in general relativity. There's two ways to achieve it: accelerating at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light, or being subjected to extremely high gravity, like that of a black hole. However having slightly less gravity (like what we saw in the forest) doesn't actually do anything. So as you can see, your idea just doesn't work.

gravitational time dilation would still occur but in the opposite sense (time would pass more quickly for Guts and Co) and at an imperceptible rate. Shame, woulda been neat!

It's actually Elfhelm, not Elfheim. A common mistake I see a lot. And it's only natural for the story to start revealing the next horizon, but it doesn't have to be just words from SK. It will likely arise from a series of events that will motivate the group (not just Guts) to leave for the continent.

Yes, probably they'll be forced to leave. I reread episode 238, in which SK tells Schierke that Griffith killed her master because he thinks that a magic user is more dangerous than a 10 thousand army. So maybe SK came to tell that Griffith plans to destroy Elfhelm (Sorry for the mistake, actually i didn't know it :griffnotevil:).

Agreed, I mentioned it on the podcast, but the introduction of new, specialized magic lessons seems to imply they'll be staying a bit longer. But just how long...? Who knows.

Well, yes, if Miura keep going with his schedule, we never know. I was so hyped to read another SK's cryptic monologue, but we had a regular episode. But considering SK's face i think he came to say something really bad. :shrug:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
But considering SK's face i think he came to say something really bad.

His "face" is not only a skull, therefore incapable of showing any emotion, but it's actually a helmet shaped like a skull. You literally can't derive anything from it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I reread episode 238, in which SK tells Schierke that Griffith killed her master because he thinks that a magic user is more dangerous than a 10 thousand army.

It could be that Falconia will turn its sights to Elfhelm eventually, but as things are, the inhabitants aren't a threat to Griffith in the same way Flora was before Falconia was established.

Flora was dangerous to Griffith's plans for two big reasons, neither of which are factors anymore: Flora protected a spiritual tree, which held back the manifestation of the world spiral tree, and she could have offered humanity an alternate way of surviving in Fantasia by coping with astral creatures instead of slaughtering them. That would have been a sizable wrench in Griffith's plans for humanity.

Elfhelm is situated far away from the continent, so its inhabitants aren't threats to Falconia's continental rule, and though it houses a spiritual tree, the world tree is already manifested, so what good is one more chopping going to do...?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
i still cant quite place if I'm imagining a grin or if it's really there

It's just the way Miura manipulates shading to convey a feeling. He does it a lot with SK. But the skull is a helmet, and part of his armor. We've seen him lift the top of the helmet up to "swallow" beherits, which made a metal sound, but that's it. It's not alive.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
so what good is one more chopping going to do...?

I think imo that this will have a part to play in the end game. Like not killing Guts, it'll come back to bite them in the ass. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think it'll play a major role but having a spiritual tree still existing could help to processus of separating the worlds again. Of course I'm way ahead of myself with this tiny speculation.

love that panel, i still cant quite place if I'm imagining a grin or if it's really there.
That panel has been sitting as my Twitter header for the longest time now, it's definitely a good one, but the grin is all in your head.

Either way the message comes through loud and clear, "OH YEAH NOW THERE'S TWO OF US"
I don't think it does. Like Walter and Aazealh have already said, it's just a helmet. The perspective and shading can convey a more ominous atmosphere as is commonly the case with the Skull Knight, or show that he's particularly serious or fixated on something, but nothing beyond that.

That panel has been sitting as my Twitter header for the longest time now, it's definitely a good one, but the grin is all in your head.

Sorry not trying to say the skull is grinning. A grin is not technically possible for a skull because the teeth are already exposed, and yet somehow that is the exact word that comes to mind when I view that panel. My point is that the effect is so subtle, sometimes I wonder whether or not it was Miura's intention to convey that expression or if I just want to see it, whether through shading or very slight changes in the way the skull is drawn.

Of course I'm almost certain that it was intended, it's just done with enough subtlety to make me question what about the panel actually gives me that impression.

Of course I'm almost certain that it was intended, it's just done with enough subtlety to make me question what about the panel actually gives me that impression.
Again, I wouldn't be so sure there was actual intent to convey any sort of human-like emotion from the Skull Knight in that panel, no matter how subtle. The angle and framing might give you that impression if you look at it too much but ultimately it's just the same old Terminator face.

I really like outfit that Danan gave Farnese this episode. During this whole episode it makes Farnese really stand out, everyone has the dark robes except her. I don't know if it was intentional in a symbolic sense to show that Farnese has a different magical background than everyone in Elfhelm or if it is just a coincidence and Miura just wanted to give Farnese a new outfit. I'm really excited to see both Schierke and Farnese learn new magic from probably the greatest magic users in Berserk. Like mentioned in the podcast, I wonder if the Skull Knight is a Daimon in enchanted armor. If any great hero from the past has a shot of becoming a Daimon it's Gaiseric. Although it could just be two seperate scenes (Ged and Schierke then Guts and Skull Knight), it wouldn't seem out of place for the two to be related. The episode before we get a fight between Casca and enchanted armors, (albeit they are similar to Golems in functionality) then at the end of the episode we see Skull Knight. Next, in this episode we end with a brief discussion on Daimons and then cut Guts and Skull Knight. In a couple of episodes there could be a discussion between the entire group including Skull Knight, where the two aforementioned scenes are briefly brought back up to explain who Skull Knight is and how he manged to become a "living" suit of armor. And maybe I'm going a little too far, but something positive has to occupy my mind while being stuck inside.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I really like outfit that Danan gave Farnese this episode. During this whole episode it makes Farnese really stand out, everyone has the dark robes except her. I don't know if it was intentional in a symbolic sense to show that Farnese has a different magical background than everyone in Elfhelm or if it is just a coincidence and Miura just wanted to give Farnese a new outfit. I'm really excited to see both Schierke and Farnese learn new magic from probably the greatest magic users in Berserk.

#PrettyInPink

I think it serves a few different purposes. First off, it's the culmination of Farnese's study of magic over the past 13 volumes. She's essentially graduating from being Schierke's student, and getting her own witch outfit is fitting. That the outfit is from Danan is also meaningful because she'll learn from her (learning magic from the queen of elves, not too shabby). Lastly, it's going to be what she wears for a long time, maybe until the end of the series, which is why it looks even more distinctive than Danan's current outfit despite being "the old one". In that sense it was about time she moved beyond her volume 23 traveling clothes.

On that topic, I think that Schierke might also get some customization done to her outfit, but we'll see. Same for Isidro, and I'm also still curious about Casca receiving some equipment beyond what she already got.

Like mentioned in the podcast, I wonder if the Skull Knight is a Daimon in enchanted armor. If any great hero from the past has a shot of becoming a Daimon it's Gaiseric. Although it could just be two seperate scenes (Ged and Schierke then Guts and Skull Knight), it wouldn't seem out of place for the two to be related.

I don't think the way the scenes are presented necessarily means anything. But like I said earlier in this thread and on the podcast, it could help explain the process that created the Skull Knight as he is now. We'll see soon enough. It's not what I'm most excited about though, and I'm a big SK fan. Imagine Schierke being able to call on Flora to wipe out a bunch of apostles, even maybe the same apostles who assaulted her mansion. That would be fucking cool. And beyond Flora, the idea of calling forth mythical heroes is very appealing, especially by opposition to Griffith's apostle lieutenants... Or to members of the God Hand. It adds an interesting wrinkle to the summoning concept that I feel is fitting for the Fantasia era.

The episode before we get a fight between Casca and enchanted armors, (albeit they are similar to Golems in functionality) then at the end of the episode we see Skull Knight.

They are actually straw dolls wearing armors, not enchanted armors. Honestly, comparing these to the Skull Knight seems pretty laughable to me.

Flora was dangerous to Griffith's plans for two big reasons, neither of which are factors anymore: Flora protected a spiritual tree, which held back the manifestation of the world spiral tree, and she could have offered humanity an alternate way of surviving Fantasia by coping with astral creatures instead of slaughtering them. That would have been a sizable wrench in Griffith's plans for humanity.

Coping doesn't really seem like Flora's way of handling this kind of thing. Even with the troll situation in Enoch village, Schierke was sent along with Guts' crew to deal with it. And it wasn't by helping the villagers learn to cope with it, it was by eliminating the problem altogether. Reason being that these hostile astral creatures just can't coexist with humans. Which is also the reason Griffith and the Band of the Falcon are exterminating them. Because practically they can't reclaim territory for humans to live in safely with monsters still running around. It's not as though these are benign creatures like elves or merrows that they're slaughtering in droves. Granted, it's not a huge stretch for them to make that leap in the future, but we're not there yet.

I'd argue that what makes Flora and the magi really dangerous is their knowledge. They know how this world works, they can remove the blinders and steer people on the right track, and for the God Hand who rely on using fear of the unknown to herd people like sheep this is an unneeded complication. There is also the possibility of the mages doing what they did last time and growing the Forest of the Spirit Tree again. If there were any other reason to attack Skellig and burn down the cherry tree in Elfhelm it would be to nip that problem in the bud.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Coping doesn't really seem like Flora's way of handling this kind of thing. Even with the troll situation in Enoch village, Schierke was sent along with Guts' crew to deal with it. And it wasn't by helping the villagers learn to cope with it, it was by eliminating the problem altogether. Reason being that these hostile astral creatures just can't coexist with humans. Which is also the reason Griffith and the Band of the Falcon are exterminating them. Because practically they can't reclaim territory for humans to live in safely with monsters still running around. It's not as though these are benign creatures like elves or merrows that they're slaughtering in droves. Granted, it's not a huge stretch for them to make that leap in the future, but we're not there yet.

Cope: verb
1) to contend (against)
2) to deal successfully with or handle a situation; manage (she coped well with the problem)

I meant that she could provide an alternative way of dealing with these astral creatures, aside from slaughtering them all. Flora and Schierke's knowledge of astral creatures indeed led them to be able to manage the troll issue at Enoch. But that's a particularly aggressive case. And we've seen other ways of dealing with trolls and creatures besides killing them (think back to Schierke's first encounter with them). So what do you think Flora's kind would do if they found brownies in the attic vs what Falconians would do? There are many kinds of creatures on the continent, not just hostile ones. But Falconia will paint them all with one brush. That's my point. Beyond that, with no alternative ways of surviving in the world, Griffith can hold the whole race in his hands instead of having it splintered by factions of humans with different ways of surviving.

Also, you're wrong about Flora's force being at Enoch just to behead trolls. Look carefully at how Enoch actually resolves. Schierke tapped into a forceful astral being who had been forgotten for years because of the Holy See had ruined her place of worship. Schierke corrected that imbalance by requesting a shrine be erected, and taught the people of the village about the nature of the astral world and its inhabitants.

Cope: verb
1) to contend (against)
2) to deal successfully with or handle a situation; manage (she coped well with the problem)

I meant that she could provide an alternative way of dealing with these astral creatures, aside from slaughtering them all. Flora and Schierke's knowledge of astral creatures indeed led them to be able to manage the troll issue at Enoch. But that's a particularly aggressive case. And we've seen other ways of dealing with trolls and creatures besides killing them (think back to Schierke's first encounter with them). So what do you think Flora's kind would do if they found brownies in the attic vs what Falconians would do? There are many kinds of creatures on the continent, not just hostile ones. But Falconia will paint them all with one brush. That's my point.

I do not think they would paint them all with one brush. At least not at this point. The reason they are exterminating hostile astral creatures is because they're just that. There is no way to cope with trolls, giants, hydras, dragons, whatever without killing them. They have no reason to slaughter benign creatures because their campaigns are purely in the interest of reclaiming territory for human occupation. Monsters are an obstacle and danger to that. Therefore they have to go. But say they came across a den of elves or what have you and Griffith just said "Okay... burn them all out!" ...he would definitely get some weird looks at least. Even people close to him like Sonia wouldn't take that lightly. Remember how she pointed out Ivalera at Vrittanis?

That being said, it's something that could potentially change as future generations are brought up under Falconia's doctrine. We may already have some setup for this with the latest developments in Episode 358 and the time dilation on Skellig. But even still I can't see Falconia wholesale seeing friendly astral creatures the same as the ones that are an active danger to them.

Also, you're wrong about Flora's force being at Enoch just to behead trolls. Look carefully at how Enoch actually resolves. Schierke tapped into a forceful astral being who had been forgotten for years because of the Holy See had ruined her place of worship. Schierke corrected that imbalance by requesting a shrine be erected, and taught the people of the village about the nature of the astral world and its inhabitants.

Not sure why you’re connecting the troll incident with the Lady of the Depths. The troll incident was resolved by Guts and the crew killing them before Schierke blew the remainder away with a flood. Then the cave and Qliphoth was sealed away so they couldn’t come back to harm the village. They weren’t attacking Enoch because of any imbalance and there was never an indication that building a shrine would protect them from monsters in the future.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
They have no reason to slaughter benign creatures because their campaigns are purely in the interest of reclaiming territory for human occupation. Monsters are an obstacle and danger to that. Therefore they have to go. But say they came across a den of elves or what have you and Griffith just said "Okay... burn them all out!" ...he would definitely get some weird looks at least. Even people close to him like Sonia wouldn't take that lightly. Remember how she pointed out Ivalera at Vrittanis?

Wait, so beheading a witch and burning down her tree fort was cool before, but now it's arbitrarily going to be uncool? Griffith is tilting the wheel towards racial extermination. I'm not sure how you can't see that at this point, particularly with his grand plan to steamroll Falconia's outlying areas and basically make suburbs, but maybe we could talk again in a few years and see where the chips fall then?

Top Bottom