Episode 361 (July 22)

What could be the reason for the delay, then? I thought it being announced means Miura already submitted it to the publisher. Maybe he wanted to do some last minute tweaks?

What could be the reason for the delay, then? I thought it being announced means Miura already submitted it to the publisher. Maybe he wanted to do some last minute tweaks?

If he wanted to change something, wouldn't he just wait and change it for the Volume?

Unless it's something very important that has to be changed even for the magazine release.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I can't envision a scenario where we get to know the answer to that. This is probably an embarrassing moment for Miura that he wouldn't want to share. The only real clue we have is the last minute nature of this change (it's due out next week). Could have been some visual inconsistency in the episode that wasn't noticed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify and out of curiosity. Do you mean work on the episode or the young animal as a whole?

I meant the episode.

I don't think an announcement means Miura has already submitted the material. Merely that he plans to have it ready by then. So this doesn't necessarily mean he decided to change something at the last minute. Maybe it just isn't ready yet and because the magazine is getting printed soon they had to leave it out of this issue.

Like Heiji explained above, it seems like the Young Animal issue that Berserk 361 was initially scheduled for (YA #s 13-14, out 6/22) is still on schedule. But this last-minute change is pushing Berserk to the next issue (YA #15).

I meant the episode.

Thanks. Now that I’m awake it’s clear as day. Not sure how I took from that that the whole young animal issue could be getting delayed.

I think Miura forgot that Skull Knight was missing one of his collar spikes in the previous Episode and he just now noticed that he drew him with all of them in 361 :troll:

The conspiracy plot thickens.:isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think an announcement means Miura has already submitted the material. Merely that he plans to have it ready by then. So this doesn't necessarily mean he decided to change something at the last minute. Maybe it just isn't ready yet and because the magazine is getting printed soon they had to leave it out of this issue.

Berserk's inclusion in the "next issue" ad indicates some level of confidence from Hakusensha that the episode would be ready for publication. So either A) Miura provided his assurance it'd be delivered before that date, and it is simply late; OR B) they had the finished episode in hand, but Miura asked they hold it so he could submit an updated edition, which pushed it beyond the deadline for this issue.

The difference between those two possibilities is pretty negligible, particularly for us. It's only notable because it's a fresh, unpredictable occurance in the already unpredictable release schedule.

Due to the deadline never being missed, I've always assumed if we saw the ad, it was a sure thing, meaning they had the ep in hand. But it's true we don't --- and can't -- know for sure, especially from here on out.

I can't even lie, Young Animals lack of transparency and how they handled publishing Berserk episodes starting with episode 356 has been very annoying. Like re-using old color illustrations, or splitting an episode into 2 parts, although granted, that only occured once.

Usually these type of delays happen with weekly magazines due to tight deadlines, so it is surprising it occurred with episode 361. I hope we get some information in the upcoming YA issue next Friday.

Regardless, after waiting so long, what's another month :ganishka:

OR B) they had the finished episode in hand, but Miura asked they hold it so he could submit an updated edition, which pushed it beyond the deadline for this issue.
I think this is the more unlikely option, because I don't see how a correction or adjustment couldn't have been made in time for the release, necessitating a delay until next month.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is the more unlikely option, because I don't see how a correction or adjustment couldn't have been made in time for the release, necessitating a delay until next month.

I think that depends entirely on the level of change that necessitated the delay.

Again, we'll likely never know the answer, or even what change was made -- if any -- in the final episode.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
He just realised that the Skullknight flashback was missing an entire volume. :ganishka:

Joke aside, I'm leaning towards some adjustment or something of the likes. No big deal to me, it's just a month more to wait and I'm moving so I'll be busy unpacking etc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The difference between those two possibilities is pretty negligible, particularly for us. It's only notable because it's a fresh, unpredictable occurance in the already unpredictable release schedule.

My point is this delay is not by itself a proof that the episode had been finished for a month and Miura decided to redo parts of it at the last minute.

Again, we'll likely never know the answer, or even what change was made -- if any -- in the final episode.

Who knows, Miura could always mention it in his YA comment.

I can't even lie, Young Animals lack of transparency and how they handled publishing Berserk episodes starting with episode 356 has been very annoying. Like re-using old color illustrations, or splitting an episode into 2 parts, although granted, that only occured once.

"Reusing" color illustrations is nothing new, they've been doing it for years. And I don't see how any of that is Young Animal's fault. Maybe they split 356 into two parts because it wasn't finished in time for the deadline. And maybe for episode 361 they chose to delay it instead, because splitting it didn't make sense or they didn't want to make a habit of it. Either way, Miura's the one responsible. YA's staff isn't announcing new Berserk episodes without his approval.

Who knows, Miura could always mention it in his YA comment.

Maybe they split 356 into two parts because it wasn't finished in time for the deadline. And maybe for episode 361 they chose to delay it instead, because splitting it didn't make sense or they didn't want to make a habit of it.

Those are comforting possibilities.

I’m guessing Miura only comments in issues where a Berserk episode is published?

If that even could of been the reason for the delay than by all means please! I would gladly wait another month instead of getting another “split” episode.

We all know that the real reason for the delay is due to Puck spilling coffee on Miuras tablet

mtnKLit.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I’m guessing Miura only comments in issues where a Berserk episode is published?

Yes.

If that even could of been the reason for the delay than by all means please! I would gladly wait another month instead of getting another “split” episode.

My point was that in both cases the root cause could be that the episode wasn't finished in time. But that's just a hypothesis.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I'll resurrect my profile and make a bold supposition here; the reason for this delay might be because they plan on releasing a string of episodes in the following months and they want to synchronize the releases all nicely? Wishful thinking, I know... :shrug:

My biggest guess for the delay would be, that Miura changed his mind about something he wanted to reveal in this episode

Top Bottom